Start by marking “Silver Bells” as Want to Read:
Silver Bells

Silver Bells

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  54 reviews
A CHRISTMAS SHORT STORY

Published October 31st 2011 by Sadie Hart (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Bells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Bells

Mippy/Sabrina
I feel badly I am giving this story 1 star. 1.5 stars is a more accurate rating from me on Goodreads rating system. I tried to love it, but I feel there was a lot missing in the story. I would have loved the story to be more developed, to feel smooth in the transitional parts of the story. Instead I left feeling like I had been on a disjointed and bumpy ride. I *did* very much enjoy some of the descriptions of what the characters were doing. When I read about Dash restoring the animal pieces, it ...more
Cryssy
This is the story of Dash, an honest, hard working man. every year for the last 15, he has maintained the carousel in his hometown. one year a down on her luck woman shows up looking for somewhere warm to rest her sick body. she helps to sand the graffiti off the carousel pieces with Dash and in return for her hard work, he takes her home and cares for her. there is one slightly different thing about Dash though. on Christmas Eve he dons the harness from the reindeer on the carousel and becomes ...more
Also posted to Jen in Bookland

Silver Bells is a really short story, but even so I almost didn't finish it. It was way too blah for me and not really compelling. I didn't really see Dash and Merry falling in love and the whole ending....is just strange to me (note I will discuss the ending later so spoilers ahead). Dash keeps the carousel in working order, getting it ready every year. Merry stumbles in one day and the two work on fixing up everything together. Dash tries to help her with food and
Elisabeth Wheatley
A sweet, cute Christmas story. I'm definitely glad I picked it up! =)
Angie
Synopsis: "Every year, the Christmas Carousel in South Howle takes a beating, and every year, Dash Bartholomew tenderly brings it back to life. It’s a job he started fifteen years ago, when Dash became Dasher, one of Santa’s reindeer, and accepted the worn leather harness now hanging on the hooks at the back of the carousel barn. The one with its beautiful, silver bells that once made the most wondrous sound in the world, and now lay quiet.

That is, until Merry, a young, homeless woman wanders in
Melissa
This review was originally published on Melissa's Midnight Musings on December 19, 2012.

This story is very short and sweet. We meet Dash, a seemingly lonely park caretaker who lovingly restores carousel animals by night. One night, Merry, stumbles in to the barn where he's working looking for somewhere out of the cold to stay. Dash lets her stay and tries to help her, but she's too proud, and demands to work. So they each work together on the animals, and over time a bond develops between them a
Laura Thomas
I spotted this while browsing for some Christmas reads. It’s a short story, didn’t take long at all to read it.

I wish it had been longer, as I fell in love with the characters and the whole story was just so ingenious. A new one on me.

Dash works on the old carousel in the South side of Howle. Not the nicer side of the town. He lovingly sands them and removes the graffiti the town kids paint on the animals, restoring them to their former glory for another year.

George, the night watchman, stops in
Cloud
Ehh, it was free and a short story so I figured why not? I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but this was overall an odd short story. It did feel a little bland and I was more interested in the characters fixing up the carousel. The connection between the two people never felt there, especially given the HEA nature. I would have liked a bit more backstory on the magic than what was there. Not something I would read again or recommend.
Kate Tilton
So I had just finished an ebook I was suppose to review and was bummed because it really wasn't good. I didn't want to go to bed yet although it was extremely late so instead I went on to the Kindle store and looked at the free books that popped up. I was so glad when I found Silver Bells because it was just what I was looking for, a short Christmas themed story with a little bit of love thrown in too.

I really liked Dash while reading the bringing of this story, I liked how he connected with Me
Kristina Lucero
This was a cute little Christmas romance with a nice twist including select chosen people who transform into reindeer each Christmas. Overall the story was well written but too short for my taste. It begins by introducing the main characters and how they came to be. The story jumped several times to future events without closing out the previous ones and this left me feeling like something was missing. I guess because it is such a short read the author was satisfied but I would have liked more.

W
Kristi
Oct 19, 2013 Kristi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
A beautiful Christmas short story. It is about a man named Dash, a carousel worker who is doing his yearly maintenance. on faded, chipping, and graffitied carousel animals. In his workshop, he has a harness of silver bells that no one can hear. Then, one night a woman named Mary wanders into his workshop to get away from the cold. This will change his live as well as hers. And it all revolves around the silent silver bells.

A beautiful surprise surrounds the silver bells. It takes a new approach
Zina
Okay

not the best thing that I have read. it was a cute story. don't think that I would recommend this one. maybe if you needed a quick read.
Julie
Kind of interesting on how the next reindeer is chosen for Santa.
Danielle
Not bad for a free book off Amazon
Francis Salsedo
I love this book! I finished reading it on Christmas day and it made me smile. I definitely recommend this book.
Robin Conley
I had no idea what this story was about when I started, and I was really skeptical as to whether I would like it when I read the bit about the guy being Santa's reindeer, but as the story progressed I got into it a bit. I liked Dash/Erik and Merry, and I liked the story that was told between the two of them. When I got to the end I found I had enjoyed the story. It wasn't perfect-- it was a little cheesy-- but it was cute and a nice fun, fast read.
Emma
I liked this book, it was a nice romance mixed with festive spirit. I liked the characters. It is only 24 pages long so it is faced paced. I would have preferred it a little longer, but that’s because I got attached to Dash, he was a good character. The idea of the bells, was amazing. It was so poetic and full of the Christmas spirit.

It is free on amazon for the kindle, it is worth the read.
Micheleann
i loved this book especailly the idea about dash being sanatas reindeer but in the end i was both sad and happy . Loved reading about how dash always came to the rescue but will dash get his wish at the end cant tell you for those of you who is reading this review this book i had already recommended to a friend worth the read and also worth recommending
Alyssa White
The start of this story was not enjoyable... I was being turned off from the story. I am one that loves description but there was too much in the first part of the book. I had no idea where the story was going at all. The idea of the reindeer is a great story idea and has potential it just needs to be ran with.
Kathryn
While this plot was creative, it was a little weird to me. It's more of a supernatural (some would say "magical") tale. It's not really my thing but a lot of other people liked the book so if you like "magical", give it a try. The writing was good and the content was clean. I'll give 3 stars just for that.
Tama
This was another of the freebies from Amazon. It is a very short story that did have an unexpected twist that was I guess what you would call, fantasy. It was also a short story. All I can say is a strange story about Santa's reindeer and the person he becomes the rest of the year.
Kristin King
Well done. A fantasy that pulls from holiday myths to create a completely new (at least to me) mystical world inside of ours. I didn't see it coming. I recommend this to readers who don't mind being kept in the dark so the story threads can come together in an unexpected ending.
Judy
A short story about Dasher and Merry. Dasher has a set of silver bells but he no longer hears them. He realizes that his job is about to change. That may have made him feel sad but suddenly with helping Merry he may be ready to move on.
Denise Koopman
This was a little strange but so very sweet.I really enjoyed the book.You really need to pay attention or you might get throwed off.It was a cute little story but it would have benn nice to had some more insight on a few things.
Joselyn Raquel
it was a cute tale for xmas =)
EmilyRose
I really love this cover but the story itself was a bit lacking and kind of a strange concept. I don't want to give too much away but the whole Reindeer/Human thing...yeah...weird.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is a coffee-break book about the bells on the harness of Santa's reindeer. A charming, short story that could have been developed further but a very enjoyable read nonetheless.
Judy King
A man who refurbishes a carousel each winter quietly encounters and helps a homeless woman. Nice story -- unusual setting -- nice calm plot and sweet ending as befits a Christmas book.
Sheryl
This was a cute/short story. I felt for Merry and I felt for Dash. The story was not exactly what I expected and it was very short. Well written and .. I loved the ending.

Monique
Definitely original. Would have preferred it to be a bit longer, but worked really well. I hope this is the start to a series about others in the "reindeer set".
  • Mistletoe Mischief (Romancing Wisconsin Series, #1)
  • Christmas at Pebble Creek (The Pebble Creek Amish)
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas
  • Mistletoe Magic (Copper Mountain Christmas, #3)
  • Christmas in Venice: A Short Story
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
  • The Christmas Sisters
  • A Grosvenor Square Christmas
  • A Perfect Holiday Fling (Moments in Maplesville, #1)
  • What the Dead Fear
  • The Christmas Ball
  • Guns 'N' Tulips (Short Story)
  • Secret Santa (Bluegrass Series, #3.5)
  • The Witch Sea
  • Be Mine For Christmas
  • The Eslites (The Eslite Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Blind Her with Bliss
  • The Secret Christmas Ciphers
Sadie Hart lives in Michigan with two dogs, though one should totally be a Moose, and they both occasionally show signs of super powers. Like the ability to fly and mind read. Okay, maybe not the flying part. That’s actually her flying pig, Pignificent. Though his super powers also include laser vision.

During the day, while not wrangling super-pooches and pigs, Sadie works as a secretary in a libr
More about Sadie Hart...
Hounded (Shifter Town Enforcement #1) Cry Sanctuary (Shifter Town Enforcement, #2) Bending Steele Big Cats Don't Purr (Shifter Town Enforcement #3) Christmas Moon (Shifter Town Enforcement)