Start by marking “Silver Bells” as Want to Read:
Silver Bells

Silver Bells

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  532 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
A CHRISTMAS SHORT STORY

Published October 31st 2011 by Sadie Hart (first published October 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Bells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Bells

Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Rosie Project by Graeme SimsionThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
2013: What Women Born in the 1980s Read in 2013
364th out of 490 books — 73 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayChitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian FlemingCorelli's Mandolin by Louis de BernièresThe Tin Drum by Günter Grass
Sounds
132nd out of 267 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela(AllHoney)
A strange little short story. It was cute and I guess I liked it. But it is very short and not much substance to it. Dash restores carousel animals and one night, Merry, a homeless girl, comes into the shop and they end up working together.
Trea
Dec 03, 2014 Trea rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenges-2014
This is a very short and magical story! I loved the redemption theme running in it and the very unique premise. It was an unorthodox romance, to be certain, and I would have liked a bit more explanation about Merry's cough and how she came to be homeless, along with more about Dash/Eric's past, but these were just my own hopes. The story still brought a smile to my face as is, and put me a bit more in the spirit of Christmas!
Oleander
Dec 08, 2014 Oleander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, freebies
I LOVED this story. It's short and wonderful. Not sappy, totally unexpected, and unique. A homeless woman wanders into a barn where a man repairs carousel animals. Things take a very unexpected direction at the end.
Mippy/Sabrina
Oct 26, 2014 Mippy/Sabrina rated it did not like it
I feel badly I am giving this story 1 star. 1.5 stars is a more accurate rating from me on Goodreads rating system. I tried to love it, but I feel there was a lot missing in the story. I would have loved the story to be more developed, to feel smooth in the transitional parts of the story. Instead I left feeling like I had been on a disjointed and bumpy ride. I *did* very much enjoy some of the descriptions of what the characters were doing. When I read about Dash restoring the animal pieces, it ...more
Vibha Hegde
Dec 24, 2015 Vibha Hegde rated it liked it
This book is a very different short story than I have ever read before and it's a very Christmassy story.

Silver Bells is the story of Dash who till yesterday could hear the music of silver bells but cannot hear them from today. This leaves him be a shell of a man, working alone waiting for Christmas. In comes the sick girl into his workstation who apparently hears the music of the bells. So what happens next? Whats their story? and will they get their happy ending? Well most important yet, Who
Vicki
Feb 08, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, ebook
This was a very sweet story. The end was unexpected and made me smile with realization. I enjoyed it a lot. It is a story more than a book but it was a very sweet read.
Valentina

A short, sweet story. I only wish things were explained better, for example, how come Merry stumbled into the barn? What's all this business with reindeer?
And (a big spoiler) (view spoiler)

However, it was interesting and pretty enjoyable, even though I didn't really see their love developing.

This e-book also features an excerpt from What the Heart Haunts.
Cryssy Matz
Jul 23, 2014 Cryssy Matz rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Dash, an honest, hard working man. every year for the last 15, he has maintained the carousel in his hometown. one year a down on her luck woman shows up looking for somewhere warm to rest her sick body. she helps to sand the graffiti off the carousel pieces with Dash and in return for her hard work, he takes her home and cares for her. there is one slightly different thing about Dash though. on Christmas Eve he dons the harness from the reindeer on the carousel and becomes ...more
Skye
Jan 13, 2015 Skye rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Also posted to Jen in Bookland

Silver Bells is a really short story, but even so I almost didn't finish it. It was way too blah for me and not really compelling. I didn't really see Dash and Merry falling in love and the whole ending....is just strange to me (note I will discuss the ending later so spoilers ahead). Dash keeps the carousel in working order, getting it ready every year. Merry stumbles in one day and the two work on fixing up everything together. Dash tries to help her with food and
Elisabeth Wheatley
A sweet, cute Christmas story. I'm definitely glad I picked it up! =)
Karen
Dec 04, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
This was a sweet story with an interesting take on Santa and who and what his reindeer are. It was hard for me to get into the story which was not very short. The character were just dropped in without any real introduction as to who they were. It was hard to have any feeling for either of the characters even though you knew you should because this was going to be a sentimental tale. Once you get past the rather lackluster beginning the story moves a lot more quickly.

Dash Bartholomew lives and w
Angie
Nov 13, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "Every year, the Christmas Carousel in South Howle takes a beating, and every year, Dash Bartholomew tenderly brings it back to life. It’s a job he started fifteen years ago, when Dash became Dasher, one of Santa’s reindeer, and accepted the worn leather harness now hanging on the hooks at the back of the carousel barn. The one with its beautiful, silver bells that once made the most wondrous sound in the world, and now lay quiet.

That is, until Merry, a young, homeless woman wanders in
Melissa
This review was originally published on Melissa's Midnight Musings on December 19, 2012.

This story is very short and sweet. We meet Dash, a seemingly lonely park caretaker who lovingly restores carousel animals by night. One night, Merry, stumbles in to the barn where he's working looking for somewhere out of the cold to stay. Dash lets her stay and tries to help her, but she's too proud, and demands to work. So they each work together on the animals, and over time a bond develops between them a
Laura Thomas
Dec 02, 2012 Laura Thomas rated it really liked it
I spotted this while browsing for some Christmas reads. It’s a short story, didn’t take long at all to read it.

I wish it had been longer, as I fell in love with the characters and the whole story was just so ingenious. A new one on me.

Dash works on the old carousel in the South side of Howle. Not the nicer side of the town. He lovingly sands them and removes the graffiti the town kids paint on the animals, restoring them to their former glory for another year.

George, the night watchman, stops in
Cloud
Apr 27, 2014 Cloud rated it it was ok
Ehh, it was free and a short story so I figured why not? I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but this was overall an odd short story. It did feel a little bland and I was more interested in the characters fixing up the carousel. The connection between the two people never felt there, especially given the HEA nature. I would have liked a bit more backstory on the magic than what was there. Not something I would read again or recommend.
Gwendolyn Carter
Dec 16, 2014 Gwendolyn Carter rated it liked it
Slow build to an abrupt end

The book reads like an abridged version of a long novel. The relationship builds very slowly only to crash into selfless love by the end of the book. The reader is also expected to instantly accept that the hero is one of Santa's reindeer.
Lendia Buchanan
Jan 15, 2015 Lendia Buchanan rated it really liked it
Fowl language

Loved the first story. Second story had words that were not necessary. Ruined it for me. wouldn't recommend this for teens. Folks that don't enjoy reading books with fowl words.
Lenita Sheridan
Dec 14, 2014 Lenita Sheridan rated it it was amazing
Magic in the Air

This love story is full of magic. I enjoyed reading it and liked the two main characters. It had a satisfying heartwarming ending.
Kristina Lucero
This was a cute little Christmas romance with a nice twist including select chosen people who transform into reindeer each Christmas. Overall the story was well written but too short for my taste. It begins by introducing the main characters and how they came to be. The story jumped several times to future events without closing out the previous ones and this left me feeling like something was missing. I guess because it is such a short read the author was satisfied but I would have liked more.

W
Melissa H Reed
Dec 26, 2015 Melissa H Reed rated it it was amazing
Great book

This is a great book to help you to feel the Christmas spirit. Would read other books by this author.
Marilyn
Nov 14, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Good

the magic of Christmas is what this story is all about.the the way you find things that make you continue to read.
Jennifer Harrell Scott
Dec 27, 2015 Jennifer Harrell Scott rated it it was ok
Shelves:
Intriguing concept with the whole reindeer thing, but it was just too short and confusing for me to really get into it.
Kristi
Oct 19, 2013 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A beautiful Christmas short story. It is about a man named Dash, a carousel worker who is doing his yearly maintenance. on faded, chipping, and graffitied carousel animals. In his workshop, he has a harness of silver bells that no one can hear. Then, one night a woman named Mary wanders into his workshop to get away from the cold. This will change his live as well as hers. And it all revolves around the silent silver bells.

A beautiful surprise surrounds the silver bells. It takes a new approach
Kelly
Dec 18, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it
This was an interesting twist of a story about Santa's reindeer. Nice, quick read. Perfect for the holidays.
Zina
Jul 11, 2014 Zina rated it liked it
Okay

not the best thing that I have read. it was a cute story. don't think that I would recommend this one. maybe if you needed a quick read.
K.M. Lowe
Nov 16, 2015 K.M. Lowe rated it liked it
A very weird quick short story (25 pages to be precise)

Sleigh bells,reindeers, Santa, one wish.
Julie
Feb 17, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Kind of interesting on how the next reindeer is chosen for Santa.
Heidi Rothert
Jan 09, 2016 Heidi Rothert rated it did not like it
the book wasn't bad just not my cup of tea.
Danielle
Apr 18, 2014 Danielle rated it it was ok
Not bad for a free book off Amazon
  • Mistletoe Mischief (Romancing Wisconsin Series, #1)
  • The Christmas Ball
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas
  • The Golden Cage (A Dance of Dragons, #0.5)
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
  • Christmas Unplugged
  • A Winter's Knight (Regency Rhapsody, #1)
  • Two Turtle Island Doves (Turtle Island, #2.5)
  • A White Hot Christmas
  • Be Mine For Christmas
  • A Perfect Holiday Fling (Moments in Maplesville, #1)
  • Mistletoe Magic (Copper Mountain Christmas #3, Bar V5 Dude ranch #2)
  • The Secret Christmas Ciphers
  • Home to Pebble Creek (The Pebble Creek Amish)
  • Perfect (Love Series, #1)
  • The Christmas Sisters
  • Ice Gods
  • Conquest (Off-World, #3)
Sadie Hart lives in Michigan with two dogs, though one should totally be a Moose, and they both occasionally show signs of super powers. Like the ability to fly and mind read. Okay, maybe not the flying part. That’s actually her flying pig, Pignificent. Though his super powers also include laser vision.

During the day, while not wrangling super-pooches and pigs, Sadie works as a secretary in a libr
More about Sadie Hart...