Start by marking “Trains” as Want to Read:
Trains

Trains

Passenger and freight trains are useful, and fun to watch.
Published January 1st 1987 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Trains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trains

midnightfaerie
Jun 17, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
An okay book about trains. Colorful pictures but too technical to really hold the attention of my kids, both the preschool aged who love trains, and my 5 yr old. Just trying to find some good children's books about trains since my 2 yr old twins love trains so much. Too bad they lost interest after the first sentence.
Lucila Perez
Dec 11, 2014 Lucila Perez rated it it was amazing
I like how this book is about the different types of trains. It shows different uses for them along with different tracks. The author explains how some are for people, while others carry coal and cars. Some are underground, while some are above. Some are on regular train tracks while others are held from the top. It puts trains in a very positive light saying "trains are fun to watch". While I was reading the story I noticed that this book focuses on bright, bold colors along with a big emphasis ...more
Jordan Caton
Sep 25, 2011 Jordan Caton rated it liked it
This non-fiction book titled Trains is the book I chose for my concept book. This is a book about the different types of trains. It shows different uses for them along with different tracks. Some are for people, while others carry coal and cars. Some are underground, while some are above. Some are on regular train tracks while others are held from the top. It puts trains in a very positive light saying "trains are fun to watch".

This book focuses on bright, bold colors along with a big emphasis
Kayla Mosson
Nov 30, 2012 Kayla Mosson rated it really liked it
This book is a great book that allows young readers to gain an interest in trains. It discusses a variety of different aspects that pertain to trains, from what you can eat on a train, what a train carries, to the parts of a train. Gail Gibbons does an excellent job with her vibrant colorful pictures that provides her readers with a depiction of the text. Although this book is not your normal story telling book it gives great details and information for young readers who are still learning the ...more
Katherine Settle
Sep 18, 2013 Katherine Settle rated it liked it
Shelves: concept-books
This book was very well at showing what part of a train was, or teaching something to the reader. I liked how the colors were bright in the book. I think this could be very helpful for a small child, especially if they are interested in trains. The book does a good job of describing what all the trains can do. They also mention all of the different kinds of trains. Although, this book teaches a lot, I almost wish it told more of a story. This book was very good at teaching.
Rachel
May 07, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
This is one we have checked out from the library MANY times because my boys are obsessed with trains. I like that Gail Gibbons just has one simple line of text for each page, and yet the book is still filled with plenty of interesting facts. A good book for young train enthusiasts.
Misty D
A children's book that tells you about the history of trains. Even though this book is listed as a work of fiction, it is a wonderful resource to get a young child learning the history and possibly wanting to know more. A must-read for anyone who has a child who loves trains!
Cindy
Mar 17, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
My son has an interest in trains - due to Thomas the Train. I like how it has information but it's not too much information - where the child gets overloaded.
Heather
Jul 06, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
My two year old likes this non-fiction train book a lot. He never seems to tire reading about different types of engines and trim cars and what they are used for.
Alyce Dougan
Apr 24, 2011 Alyce Dougan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a book all about trains and trains history. This book is very informative, easy to follow, and has simple pictures. I would recommend this book to a Pre-K or Kindergarten class.
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A little wordy for my 18 month old who wanted me to read it to her. She became disinterested quickly. However, a 3-4 year old would probably love it.
Valerie
Apr 01, 2016 Valerie rated it liked it
A non fiction book that is a good introduction to trains. It talks about what the different cars are for on a train and a little about how trains run.
David Gallin-Parisi
Feb 12, 2013 David Gallin-Parisi rated it really liked it
Facts and colorful tracks.
Not much of a story, yet a treat for train enthusiasts of any age.
Vintage Gibbons design and illustrations!
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2013
Atom
Atom rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2013
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2013
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Heather Richard
Heather Richard rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2011
Rebecca Burgio
Rebecca Burgio rated it liked it
May 03, 2013
Owen
Owen rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Mallory Loyd
Mallory Loyd rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Jessica Watts
Jessica Watts rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Amie
Amie rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Melina Kinder
Melina Kinder rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
May 08, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...