Start by marking “Trains” as Want to Read:
Trains

Trains

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Passenger and freight trains are useful, and fun to watch.
Published January 1st 1987 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Trains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trains

Lucila Perez
Dec 11, 2014 Lucila Perez rated it it was amazing
I like how this book is about the different types of trains. It shows different uses for them along with different tracks. The author explains how some are for people, while others carry coal and cars. Some are underground, while some are above. Some are on regular train tracks while others are held from the top. It puts trains in a very positive light saying "trains are fun to watch". While I was reading the story I noticed that this book focuses on bright, bold colors along with a big emphasis ...more
midnightfaerie
Jun 17, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
An okay book about trains. Colorful pictures but too technical to really hold the attention of my kids, both the preschool aged who love trains, and my 5 yr old. Just trying to find some good children's books about trains since my 2 yr old twins love trains so much. Too bad they lost interest after the first sentence.
Jordan Caton
Sep 25, 2011 Jordan Caton rated it liked it
This non-fiction book titled Trains is the book I chose for my concept book. This is a book about the different types of trains. It shows different uses for them along with different tracks. Some are for people, while others carry coal and cars. Some are underground, while some are above. Some are on regular train tracks while others are held from the top. It puts trains in a very positive light saying "trains are fun to watch".

This book focuses on bright, bold colors along with a big emphasis
Kayla Mosson
Nov 30, 2012 Kayla Mosson rated it really liked it
This book is a great book that allows young readers to gain an interest in trains. It discusses a variety of different aspects that pertain to trains, from what you can eat on a train, what a train carries, to the parts of a train. Gail Gibbons does an excellent job with her vibrant colorful pictures that provides her readers with a depiction of the text. Although this book is not your normal story telling book it gives great details and information for young readers who are still learning the b ...more
Valerie
Apr 01, 2016 Valerie rated it liked it
A non fiction book that is a good introduction to trains. It talks about what the different cars are for on a train and a little about how trains run.
Margaret Chind
Library book. Read on MP first grade recommendation. Fine to read. Not going to buy. Didn't love.
Nathan
Jun 28, 2014 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read to James
Katherine Settle
Sep 18, 2013 Katherine Settle rated it liked it
Shelves: concept-books
This book was very well at showing what part of a train was, or teaching something to the reader. I liked how the colors were bright in the book. I think this could be very helpful for a small child, especially if they are interested in trains. The book does a good job of describing what all the trains can do. They also mention all of the different kinds of trains. Although, this book teaches a lot, I almost wish it told more of a story. This book was very good at teaching.
Heather
Jul 06, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
My two year old likes this non-fiction train book a lot. He never seems to tire reading about different types of engines and trim cars and what they are used for.
Rachel
May 07, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
This is one we have checked out from the library MANY times because my boys are obsessed with trains. I like that Gail Gibbons just has one simple line of text for each page, and yet the book is still filled with plenty of interesting facts. A good book for young train enthusiasts.
Misty D
A children's book that tells you about the history of trains. Even though this book is listed as a work of fiction, it is a wonderful resource to get a young child learning the history and possibly wanting to know more. A must-read for anyone who has a child who loves trains!
Alyce Dougan
Apr 24, 2011 Alyce Dougan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a book all about trains and trains history. This book is very informative, easy to follow, and has simple pictures. I would recommend this book to a Pre-K or Kindergarten class.
Cindy
Mar 17, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
My son has an interest in trains - due to Thomas the Train. I like how it has information but it's not too much information - where the child gets overloaded.
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A little wordy for my 18 month old who wanted me to read it to her. She became disinterested quickly. However, a 3-4 year old would probably love it.
David Gallin-Parisi
Feb 12, 2013 David Gallin-Parisi rated it really liked it
Facts and colorful tracks.
Not much of a story, yet a treat for train enthusiasts of any age.
Vintage Gibbons design and illustrations!
Brin
Brin rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Marie Lacher
Marie Lacher marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Amy Katherine
Amy Katherine rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Laura added it
May 13, 2016
C
C added it
Apr 29, 2016
Colt
Colt rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...