A Splendid Friend, Indeed

A Splendid Friend, Indeed (Goose and Bear Stories)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Bear wants to read and write and think. Goose wants to talk and talk and talk. Can Bear and Goose be friends? Suzanne Bloom's picture book says volumes about friendship with a few select words and charming illustrations in this Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book .
Board Book, 30 pages
Published February 1st 2007 by Boyds Mills Press (first published March 1st 2005)

Coral
My daughter liked it because she can read it all by herself; I liked it because the polar bear looks so fuzzy and cuddly.
Erin Chambers
This book has really big text for younger readers. It is also repetitive so it makes it easier to predict.
Mckinley
A hug is always nice but it doesn't erase annoying behavior.
Fjóla
Jun 10, 2013 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: read aloud, 2 - 5 year olds, early readers
Wanted to read this one for a while, so much did I like the cover. Sweet story about friendship and understanding, illustrated in lovely, dreamy, textured pastels, blue, yet warm, the type you would want to frame and hang by your child's bed. There are follow ups to this books, in a series of titles about Goose and Bear, and if my son was younger (he's four, going on five) I would probably get all the titles without hesitation. A Splendid Friend, Indeed however, while probably aimed at toddlers/...more
Christina Mathers
Just the cover of this book is beautiful. This book has also won The Odor Seuss Geishel Honor. This book is about a duck that is constantly questioning a bear. First the bear is reading, a ducks like to read too. Then the bear is writing. Well, ducks like to write too. Then the bear looks very upset and the duck thinks that he is thinking. Thinking makes the duck very hungry and he runs and grabs the bear a snack. He also writes the bear a note. I don't want to spoil the story, so I can't tell y...more
Amy Musser
This short book focuses on an unlikely friendship between a large polar bear and a very talkative goose. Bear just wants to think and write and Goose wants to do those things too! But Goose never stops talking, talking, talking. Bear is about to go crazy when Goose reads his note to Bear, “I like you. Indeed I do. You are my splendid friend.”

The text of this American Library Association Notable Children’s book is written completely in dialogue, mostly Goose, making this a fun story to read aloud...more
Jadalynn
This is a picture book for nursery to primary readers. It’s about a bear and a goose (or a duck, I’ve had debates with kids over what it is) and the goose continues to annoy the bear. The bear is doing something and the goose comes over and wants to do it too. Finally they both agree that the other is a splendid friend indeed. I like this book mostly because of the pictures in it, the story line is cute but very simplistic, so I don’t expect it to be very interesting to older readers. The pictur...more
Nicole Perez
A really precious and simple story about making friends and talking with friends. Bloom instantly shows the contrast between talkative Goose and quiet pensive Bear through the illustrations: Bear reading a book comfortably and Goose standing atop his head. The illustrations are so vibrant, eye catching and heart warming. Sort of humorous in how Bear just wants to think, write and read while Goose loves to talk and be lively. Duck shows him how these differences shouldn't stop them from being fri...more
Paul Farbman
Jan 21, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Kindergarten-1st grade and their teachers
Shelves: 00-in-class
I enjoyed this book, but it is definitely intended for younger readers. Most of the pages only contain one, easy-to-read sentence.

The two characters in the book are a quite bear who likes to read and a loud duck who likes to talk. The message is that it is ok to give a person who is different from you the chance to be your friend.

The illustrations in this book are very colorful and inviting to young readers. The cover is what made me want to pick it up.
Kelli Mcdonald
A splendid friend, indeed is about two different friends who are very different from each other. Duck likes to talk, talk, and talk but Bear wants to read, write and think. These two opposites do attract in a way children understand. Despite all of their differences and all of the things they do not have in common, Duck and Bear are very splendid friends, indeed. The reason I enjoyed this book so much was because it is easy to read as well as to comprehend. I think loving someone despite their d...more
Jade
Bear is a reader, a writer, and a thinker. Goose wants to talk, and talk, and talk some more. Bear is very accommodating and patient with Goose. Goose proves worthy of Bear’s patience and the unlikely pair become splendid friends.
Clarah Camp
This book is a great book for little children, especially in the earlier grades. It shows what the power of a compliment can do. In the book you can clearly see that the Polar Bear does not like the duck because he asks to many questions but once the duck says that he is his most splendid friend, the Polar Bear returns the feeling and they are friends.Not only does it teach children how to be polite but it teaches them how to treat others even when they are getting on your nerves. Everyone can l...more
Aidyle
Beautiful friendship between an overly eager, attention-seeking extroverted duck and easy-going, mild-mannered bear. Good to read to pre-schoolers as it shows them a side of themselves - attention-seeking kids who would do antics just to get their friend/parent to give them time, all in good fun though.
Jessi G
Suzanne Bloom's "A Splendid Friend, Indeed" is a book about a persistent, talkative goose who keeps interrupting Bear. Goose copies everything Bear is trying to do. Goose interrupts Bear constantly. Goose wants to be in the middle of everything. I honestly got annoyed with Goose at about the same time that Bear did but my heart melted when Goose told Bear, "I wrote a note. I'll read it to you. I like you. Indeed I do. You are my splendid friend." The wide eyed picture of Bear and the free-loving...more
Karen
Pesky characters in books appeal to me, like Willems' pigeon and Numeroff's mouse. I'm not sure why, they just do. So I find the irritating goose in A Splendid Friend, Indeed charming. But even more than the goose, I love the patient polar bear. He's the perfect foil to the silly goose.

The friendly pair are well-drawn -- the bear's fur is magnificent -- and expressive. Bloom brings them to life using pastels, which is not an easy medium to work with.

The story itself is so simple that a toddler...more
Chelsea Kimmey
This text would be good for a younger aged class to teach that have differences is good and that everyone can be friends even though they are different from one another
Mrs. Knott
Geisel Honor Award book, 2006
Emily
I loved this simple yet adorable book about a talkative goose who wants to hang around Bear, but Bear is always trying to do something else. This story captures part of my childhood because when I was younger I was very talkative and probably quite annoying (like goose), and I always wanted to play with my older brothers.

This would be a good story to read to children who have siblings. If they are older they would probably be able to relate to Bear, but if they are younger they would relate bet...more
Amanda Casteel
Author: Suzanne Bloom

Genre: Fiction

Year Published: 2005

Reading Level: Early

Topic/theme: Friendship, Reading

Issues Addressed: Annoyance

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading, guided reading

Text and Illustrations: the illustrations go along with the text very well. This makes the reading of it easier

Summary: Goose wants to know what Polar Bear is doing. He's reading, and Goose is annoying him.

Literary Devices: Personification
Shayne Cope
This book would be appropriate for young children. I found the duck to be kind of annoying.
Cassie
Ages 2-up. The print is large, and simple, surrounded by enough white space to make it stand out to children. The text is written completely in dialogue format which can help children understand that print carries meaning. Children with siblings could easily relate to either the goose or the bear, depending on if they were the older or younger sibling. It might even prompt them to tell similar stories of their own experiences.
Naleni Persaud

This is a simple yet sweet book. It is a short story with easy to read text. The illustrations compliment the story and children are instantly drawn to the book.
Emily Graham
This was a cute stories about two unlikely animals that became friends. It would be a good book to read to your younger students when discussing the importance of friendship in class and it is a very basic read. There are good illustrations that help students understand what the text is saying and there aren't too many words on the page so beginning readers won't be too overwhelmed when attempting it on their own.
Deanna Donald
I would definitely have in this in my classroom for "developing" readers. It is a simple read and the more we allow students the opportunity to read and to read easy text, the more confident they feel as readers and begin to view themselves as readers. This is a great read for developing readings and will hopefully inspire them and lead them to becoming "underground" readers as Donalyn Miller would say.
Lindsey
This book would be perfect to read to kids in kindergarten. It is very simple and short, and the font size is rather large. I personally felt like the book didn't make a lot of sense because it was a duck asking a polar bear questions about reading, writing and thinking. The bear never responds until the end, and they become best friends. I think it might get kids excited about reading and writing!
Mackenzie Rodeghier
This book definitely teaches readers a valuable lesson about friendship! We can't all get along 100% of the time, but true friends can withstand the tests of aggravation! Bear teaches us that he can still befriend Goose, even though they don't share the same interests. This story could work wonders in a classroom struggling with getting along! It is nicely written and illustrated, too!
Lindsay
I used the Spanish version of A Splendid Friend, Indeed for my Valentine's Day/friendship themed Spanish and bilingual story times this year. I just love how annoyed the bear looks from the duck's (goose's?) shenanigans. I also love the message that just because two people are very different from each other doesn't mean that they can't have a wonderful friendship. Very cute!
Marianne (Mia) Emery
This tender story of friendship rings true to any reader who has had a relationship with someone who is less than easy to get along with. Polar Bear tries to read quietly, write quietly and think quietly while his friend Goose keeps butting in. Although he is trying at times, Goose’s kindness and giving heart reach over to Polar Bear and create a special friendship.
Katie Shaw
This is one of the best children's books I have ever read. It is an adorable story about a goose and a bear who are complete opposites but are best friends. It shows students how anyone can be friends. This story also points to a lesson on individuality. This is another story that will be on my future classroom bookshelf. It is a must have for everyone!
Arda Gokce
My son is almost four years old and loved this book.
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • One Boy
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read Books)
  • Too Loud Lily
  • Duck & Goose
  • Hungry Hen
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • The Old Woman Who Named Things
  • Hi! Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #1)
Oh! What a Surprise! What about Bear? The Bus for Us Treasure Fox Forgets (Goose and Bear stories)