Start by marking “Flea Circus: A Brief Bestiary of Grief” as Want to Read:
Flea Circus: A Brief Bestiary of Grief

Flea Circus: A Brief Bestiary of Grief

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Fiction. Pascal's Wager and performing fleas. The Haunted Mansion of Long Branch and an old dockside bar. Raceway Park and a pristine 1971 Plymouth Road Runner. A cat named Altamont. These are all that stand between a young mathematician and madness as she attempts to make sense of her lover's suicide. Narrow margins, you say? Not much to place between a slip of a brokenhe ...more
Published February 17th 2012 by New Issues Press (first published January 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Flea Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flea Circus

George Grella
We can all be honest critics if we separate out our personal responses -- I did/didn't like something -- from our ability to honestly understand what a book tries to do and determine if it succeeds or fails at that. The best honest criticism means we can say that we didn't like something that worked just great, and liked something that wasn't that good.

"Flea Circus" is not for everyone, because it has nothing at all to do with the vast, thin landscape of the contemporary novel that ranges from b
Katya Epstein
For the past year or two I have found it almost impossible to get more than halfway through a book, but I reread this in two sittings; it still ranks as one of my top three favourite books.

Delightfully structured, perfectly paced: It launches you gently but irrevocably toward the hurtling finish. Funny and dark.

But the main thing is: Mandy gets it.
Katharine Holden
If you can get past the narrator inserting the cremains of her boyfriend in her vagina, this book is a compelling read.
Lolly K Dandeneau
Here I go again, disliking a book with mad reviews. Truthfully, it made me tired. I can't decide if I just didn't like the writing style or the story itself. I half wanted her to die already from her grief. I normally can eat up a novel that rambles on and on if I enjoy what is being said, or I find it poetic but this novel almost mad ME crazy. The title was so fantastic, it held so much promise and little moments in the book were intense but as a whole, it made me irritated and tired. It made m ...more
Marilyn
This was one of those books I picked up because the title made it sound interesting. I like to read about circuses and well, I've never read about a flea circus so it seemed like a good choice. Not so much--it was depressing and the main character was very self-absorbed.
Monica
I saw this at my job and decided to give it a go. After about four chapter I wanted the women to die. I had no attachment to her or the book or any of the other characters. Wait, I tell I lie. I liked Altamont.
Jeanne Martinet
This book is simply brilliant. And I don't mean that the way the Brits do when they say something is "brilliant." This is a writer to watch, folks. Keifetz is an artist.
Fiona
utterly sad and the pedantic words tend to remove me from her plight which I appreciated.
linnea
Feb 17, 2012 linnea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I loved this book!! That about sums it up
Alane
Alane marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Mike Harte
Mike Harte marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Janene
Janene marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Lisa Kavanaugh
Lisa Kavanaugh marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Ashley Anderson
Ashley Anderson marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Kathryn Stecher
Kathryn Stecher marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
KH
KH added it
May 30, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Bill Sweet
Bill Sweet is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2013