Start by marking “Julius Caesar (Oxford School Shakespeare)” as Want to Read:
Julius Caesar (Oxford School Shakespeare)

Read Book* *Different edition

Julius Caesar (Oxford School Shakespeare)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  125,140 Ratings  ·  2,546 Reviews
The Oxford School Shakespeare has become the preferred introduction to the literary legacy of the greatest playwright in the English language. This exclusive collection of the Bard's best works has been designed specifically for readers new to Shakespeare's rich literary legacy. Each play is presented complete and unabridged, in large print. Every book is well illustrated, ...more
Published October 17th 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1599)

To ask other readers questions about Julius Caesar, please sign up.

Teodora People were afraid of him and thought that he will terorise Roman people.
Teodora Well , this is a play .A tragedy.It is about the assasination of Julius Caesar , which actually happened.There are a lot of male characters .Only…moreWell , this is a play .A tragedy.It is about the assasination of Julius Caesar , which actually happened.There are a lot of male characters .Only female characters are Portia , wife of Brutus ( she is the namesake of Bassanio's Portia in the comedy The Merchant of Venice) and Calpurnia , Caesar's wife .
In the end , Brutus commits suicide.
Hope that this will help!(less)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
288th out of 16,721 books — 78,631 voters
Hamlet by William ShakespeareRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareOthello by William Shakespeare
Best of William Shakespeare
11th out of 101 books — 1,055 voters

More lists with this book...

Madeline
Dec 29, 2008 Madeline rated it really liked it
Shelves: shakespeare
Julius Caesar, abridged:

BRUTUS: I love Caesar!

CASSIUS: He's a power-hungry bastard. I think we should kill him.

BRUTUS: Dude, we totally should.

DECIUS: Happy Ides of March, Caesar. Ready to go to the Senate?

CAESAR: I dunno. My wife just had a dream about you and the rest of the senators washing their hands in my blood, so I think I'm going to call in sick today.

DECIUS: Okay, I'll just tell the guys that you're a pussy who lets his wife tell him what to do. They'll understand.

CAESAR: I'll get
Bill  Kerwin
Jul 02, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it it was amazing

In the course of teaching high school sophomores for thirty years, I have read Julius Caesar more than thirty times, and I never grow tired of its richness of detail or the complexity of its characters. Almost every year, I end up asking myself the same simple question--"Whom do I like better? Cassius or Brutus?"--and almost every year my answer is different from what it was the year before.

On one hand, we have Cassius, the selfish, manipulative conspirator who, after the assassination, shows h
Jeffrey Keeten
May 04, 2016 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare

photo Julius20Caesar_zpsap29yzzn.jpg

Beware the Ides of March. Beware to those that have aspirations to rule. You may encounter many enemies. People who will thwart your plans. People quite possibly afraid of your genius. People suffering from delusions of grandeur.

I always say keep an
Lyn
May 14, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it
“Et tu, Brute?”

These lines have haunted audiences and readers for centuries, since The Bard first presented the play, believed to be in 1599, when Shakespeare would have been 35. Bringing to life scenes from Roman history, this tragedy, more than presenting a biography of the leader, instead forms a study in loyalty, honor, patriotism and friendship.

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft in
Dolors
Mar 06, 2016 Dolors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tireless nonconformists
The juxtaposition that Shakespeare brings forward in this historical play, which resembles a tragedy in textual tonality and structure, is the double-edged facets, the private and the public, that coexist in Julius Caesar, the quintessential dictator.
The ruler’s weaknesses show unobstructed in his private life.
Irascible, proud and vulnerable to superstition, the Caesar ignores the voice of fate represented by the Soothsayer that tries to warn him against the surges of unrest that pervade in th
Darth J
This tale in a nutshell:

Raghad Frehat

أيتها المؤامرة أتخجلين أن تبرزي جبهتك الربداء في غياهب الليل عند منبث عوامل السوء , وتفشي كل آفة منكرة وسوءة خبيثة؟ فليت شعري إذا طلع عليك النهار وسطع على عوراتك ضياؤه , أين تجدين من الغيران والكهوف ما يستطيع أن يخفي صورتك الشنعاء بظلمته , ويخبئ طلعتك النكراء في غيابته ؟ لا تبتغن مخبأ أيتها الؤامرة ولا تلتمسنّ مستترًا , ولكن احجبي وجهك البشع المخوف بخمار البشر والبشاشة; لأنك إن برزت في سحنتك الحقيقية فلن يسترك عن مستشف النظرات الثاقبة قعر الجحيم بحالك ظلماته .
caesar by jason zhou 07 sized

يوليوس قيصر عظيم الرومان ولد سنة 10
Kalliope
What is this play about? Is it about Julius Caesar, as the title says? Well, he is assassinated half way through the play and disappears (Act 3, scene 2). Granted, his ghost reappears later on, but it is not the ghost of the caliber of Mozart’s (and Lorenzo da Ponte’s) commanding Commendatore. JC’s ghost exists only in Brutus mind as his conscience. For even if Brutus thinks that it is the ghost’s revenge to “turn our swords toward our own stomachs”, the only time the ghost speaks is to say “I a ...more
Manny
Mar 26, 2009 Manny rated it it was amazing
I once performed the whole of Mark Anthony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech on the steps outside the Great Hall in Trinity College, Cambridge, wearing a bedspread as a toga and with a bucket chained over my head. It's a long story. I think I still know the speech by heart.

Mizo ۞
Apr 27, 2016 Mizo ۞ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
أَفَكُنــتُـم تُفَـضِّـلــون أَن يَعيشَ قَيْـــصَر , وَأن تَـموتُــوا جَمــيعاً عبيـــداً له , على أَن يَــمُـــوت قَيْصَـــــر , وأن تعيـــشُـوا جَميــعاً رِجَالــاً أَحــرارا ؟
 photo ab2bb648-b960-4da6-8776-87fefa6ec91a_zpsrqzegwq2.jpeg

شكسبير , يا عم شكسبير .
ماذا تفعل بي بالله عليك ؟
أنّى لكَ بهذه القدرة أن تكتب وتحلل وتشرح أكثر الاشياء تعقيداً , ثم تجمعها في باقة مميزة من الكلام الفصيح والشاعريّ الجميل ؟ ...
يوليوس قيصر , ايقاع اسمه بنفسه على اذن السامع مهيب ! فكيف بأن تعلم سيرة حياته وبطولاته ؟
قيصر هذا , هو الغازي الكبير , ودكتاتور روما الشهير ,
يُقار
Ibrahim Saad
May 31, 2015 Ibrahim Saad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- "

فما بال قيصر يتجبر علينا إذن ؟ يا للمسكين ! إني موقن أنه ما كان ليصير ذئباً لولا أنه لا يرى الرومانيين إلا نعاجاً ، وما كان ليغدو ضرغاماً لو لم يكن الرومانيون وعولاً ..
إن الذين يتعجلون إضرام النار إنما يبدءونها بضعيف القش ، فأية حثالة غدت روما .. حين تتيح لعامة الشعب أن يعمل لتأجيج وتمجيد شئ تافه كقيصر ؟
أي شئ في قيصر ذاك ؟ لماذا ينبغي لذلك الإسم أن يكون أجرى على الألسنه من اسمك !؟ "

لم أكن أتوقع تماماً أن تكون بداية رحلتي في عالم شكسبير بهذه القوة ، لم أكن اتوقع هذا اطلاقاً .. غالباً ما يك
matt

Re-reading it for a class I'm taking, I was surprised to see that it's not the hoary, near-cliched, armchair statesman-like story I'd snored through in high school.

It's actually a taut, crackling, suspenseful political thriller which is more compelling, dire, complex, and profound than I'd originally noticed.

It's about revolution, revolutionaries, and the price one pays for irrigating the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants. You get the restless, brittle, inferiority complex of Cassius, h
Greg
Jun 23, 2009 Greg rated it liked it
My tenth grade teacher killed this play, not Caesar style though, that would be the treatment my eleventh grade English teacher did in poor Macbeth, with lots and lots of daggers and bloodshed. I don't have a good literary reference to how Julius Caesar got killed by a teacher.

Supposedly the teacher was fucking at least one guy on the football team, and she was showing signs of being knocked-up by the end of the year. So maybe she had other things on her mind. In later years I'd learn that she
David
Apr 05, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends, Romans, and countrymen

But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man….

I think that reading Shakespeare's plays does not do them justice - they aren't meant to be read, they are meant to be performed, and seen performed. However, you also miss a lot if you aren't already familiar with the context and the Shakespearean language, because of course ol' Will packs a lot into every single line.

So, this is the famous play about the conspirators who assassinated Julius Caesar, fearing his ambition to bec
Miriam
Apr 09, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
هدير
Jan 20, 2015 هدير rated it it was amazing
شــــكسبير .. لن أقول أنه غني عن التعريف .. لأنني نفسي قبل أن أقرأ له هذه المسرحية ـ كنت أتسائل ، ما سر شهرته و لم أعماله تتوج دائما في قمة الأعمال الأدبية ؟! ..

كان سؤالا عالقا برأسي و لم أبحث عن إجابة له ، كنت أنتظر أن ندرسه في قسم اللغة الإنجليزية لأعرف إجابة له ..
في هذا الفصل الدراسي من عامي الرابع في الكلية ـ حدث ما كنت أرجوه .. درسنا مسرحيته ـ القيصر جوليوس ـ كـ مدخل لعالم شكسبير .. الخلّاق و المدهش .. نعم .. الأن أستطيع أن أقول و بملء الوعي ، أن هذا الرجل مبدع حقيقي فعلا ، و أنه فعلا ..
Ken Moten
"Artemidorus: Caesar, beware of Brutus; take heed of Cassius; come
not near Casca; have an eye to Cinna; trust not Trebonius; mark
well Metellus Cimber; Decius Brutus loves thee not; thou hast
wrong'd Caius Ligarius. There is but one mind in all these men,
and it is bent against Caesar. If thou be'st not immortal, look
about you: security gives way to conspiracy. The mighty gods
defend thee!
"

[May 2014 update below original review]
"I came, I saw, I reviewed."

THE play that made the already legend
Huda Aweys
Et tu, Brute?
*****
حتى أنت يابروتوس ؟

:))
Brad
Whenever I read Shakespeare, I always find myself longing to be back in Rome watching the assassination of Caesar. So I do just that.

I read Hamlet for class, and I immediately pick up Caesar. I read one of the plays I've been meaning to get to, and I immediately pick up Caesar. I catch a late night TV showing of Much Ado About Nothing or Othello, and I immediately pick up Ceasar. It feels like home to me.

It contains the elements that make Shakespeare's great plays great (at least to me). Death
Muhammed Mahmoud
نيجي بقا للمراجعة

دعونا نبدأ ببعض الحقائق التاريخية عن يوليوس قيصر
ــــ
من هو ؟
جنرال وقائد سياسي وكاتب روماني ولد عام 13 يوليو 100 ق.م .. وهو أول من أطلق على نفسه لقب إمبراطور
ويعتبر يوليوس قيصر من أبرز الشخصيات العسكرية الفذة في التاريخ وسبب ثورة تحويل روما من جمهورية إالى امبراطورية
أما عن قيصر طفلاً ،،
لم يكن يوليس قيصر (غايوس يوليس قيصر) مجرد طفل عا
Gorfo
Apr 23, 2011 Gorfo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shakespeare Lovers!
I didn't expect to like Julius Caesar. For some reason I expected it to be one of Shakespeare's histories. Nevertheless, it soon became clear to me that I had stumbled upon an utterly enthralling tragedy. After reading Julius Caesar I've come to realize that there is no way on earth that I will ever be able to pick my favorite Shakespeare play! It just isn't possible! How could one man create so much amazing work (of course there is speculation about whether he wrote it all, but I don't care muc ...more
Mason
Feb 20, 2016 Mason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Meh. I think I have a new least favorite Shakespeare. Overall there was nothing really 'wrong' with this play, but for me it was just boring.

I didn't care for any of the characters aside from Brutus, who provided the most interesting development of all the cast. His turn against Caesar gave him a lot of agency I just felt like the rest of the cast really lacked.

The assassination scene was really cool though, something I'd definitely love to see acted out. It seems that even in my least favorite
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tragedie Of Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare
عنوان: تراژدی قیصر : نمایشنامه در پنج پرده؛ اثر: ویلیام شکسپیر؛ مترجم: فرنگیس شادمان (نمازی)؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، بنگاه ترجمه و نشر کتاب، 1334، در 161 ص، موضوع: نمایشنامه های انگلیسی قرن 16 م
از همین مترجم: تهران، شرکت انتشارات علمی فرهنگی، 1382، در 177 ص؛ شابک: 9789644459733؛
Niloo Beygi
Jul 08, 2015 Niloo Beygi rated it liked it
برای من این نمایشنامه ی شکسپیر غیر از هر نگاه سیاسی-اجتماعی ای چیزی در ستایش و نکوهش سخنه. به بهترین نحو نشون می ده که چطور با کلمه ها و جمله ها می شه افراد رو وسوسه کرد، برانگیختشون، دیدگاهشون رو عوض کرد و ...
چه مونولوگا و حدیث نفس های دقیق و خوبی داره. به خصوص اون مونولوگ مارک آنتونی که همه چیز رو تغییر می ده و باعث شورش مردم می شه و چقدر زیرکی این شخصیت رو دوست دارم چه توی رفتار و تفکر چه توی انتخاب کلماتش بسته به موقعیت و شرایطش.
چیزی که حس می کنم شاید توی نمایشنامه های شکسپیر تکرار می شه ای
Mitchell
May 05, 2009 Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
book club choice

This time around I was struck by a few things:

1- How much this play is about the power of rhetoric, especially rhetoric used to persuade. Cassius persuading Brutus, Antony persuading the crowd. Brutus' lack of rhetoric that indicates his guilelessness. Compare his flat-footed speech at the funeral to Antony's brilliant oration. The rhetoric defines the character.

2- This is a play of what happens after giants fall. Octavius/Antony and Cassius/Brutus are sloppy seconds that cannot
Ben
Feb 21, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fiel
Steph
Jun 17, 2015 Steph rated it liked it
There's nothing like reading Shakespeare on a Wednesday night Man I need a life
Liz BooksandStuff
May 03, 2016 Liz BooksandStuff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Ivana
Jul 16, 2012 Ivana rated it really liked it
The first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about this play is the beginning of that famous speech "Friends, Romans, Countrymen!" Yes, Mark Anthony really made quite a speech there! You have to love the fact that the play that is in many ways philosophical can also be dramatic.

This is one of my favourite plays by Shakespeare mainly I think that it describes perfectly that burning ice within that we sometimes call ambition and sometimes lust for power. It was this examination of power, co
Marvin
Jun 03, 2015 Marvin rated it it was amazing
Note: I dedicate this humorous review to Mr. Grooms, my 10th grade English teacher who not only taught me how to appreciate Shakespeare but introduced me to the writings of John LeCarre, John Hershey, and Shirley Jackson. But he gets minus points for making me read Silas Marner.

I read William Shakespeare's classic play Julius Caesar in high school as required reading, so my review is delivered in the viewpoint of the ancient high school me...

Our high school English teacher made us read Julius Ca
What is the point of this interaction? 2 6 Jul 21, 2016 02:27PM
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Julius Cesar 1 3 Nov 12, 2014 11:10AM
  • Edward II
  • The Bacchae
  • The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail
  • Uncle Vanya
  • The Oresteia  (Ορέστεια, #1-3)
  • Samson Agonistes
  • The Duchess of Malfi
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 1: A Doll House / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Maids Tragedy
  • Mother Courage and Her Children
  • Saint Joan
  • Oedipus at Colonus (The Theban Plays, #2)
  • The Changeling (New Mermaids)
  • Mourning Becomes Electra
  • The Night of the Iguana (Acting Edition)
  • Plays 5: Arcadia / The Real Thing / Night and Day / Indian Ink / Hapgood
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.” 7719 likes