Start by marking “A Outra Volta do Parafuso” as Want to Read:
A Outra Volta do Parafuso

Read Book* *Different edition

A Outra Volta do Parafuso

3.45  ·  Rating Details ·  59,459 Ratings  ·  3,850 Reviews
A outra volta do parafuso conta a história da jovem filha de um pároco que, iniciando-se na carreira de professora, aceita mudar-se para a propriedade de Bly, em Essex, arredores de Londres. Seu patrão é tio e tutor de duas crianças, Flora e Miles, cujos pais morreram na Índia, e deseja que a narradora (que não é nomeada) seja a governanta da casa de Bly. Ao chegar a Essex ...more
Paperback, Clássicos, 200 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by Penguin Companhia das Letras (first published October 13th 1898)

To ask other readers questions about A Outra Volta do Parafuso, please sign up.

Nemo So basically what he's saying is, If you think having a child involved in a scary situation makes it creepier, how about two children? He's using…moreSo basically what he's saying is, If you think having a child involved in a scary situation makes it creepier, how about two children? He's using "giving a turn of the screw" as an expression to mean "making it more intense". The guests answering "they give two turns" is them agreeing that it would indeed double the effect.(less)
Nola Redd There's also an implication that they sexually molested the children, which I first thought as I read and then saw again on wikipedia:

'Poet and…more

'Poet and literary critic Craig Raine, in his essay "Sex in nineteenth-century literature", states quite categorically his belief that Victorian readers would have identified the two ghosts as child molesters'(less)

Paquita Maria Sanchez
Now you see me,
description you don’t..
What the...

Meaning, understanding and certainty all become elusive chimera in this ambiguous game of hide-and-seek that Henry James plays with us. Have you ever been in one of those weird situations where you wondered if you were losing your mind, doubting whether what you were seeing was real? And... what it was that you were seeing?

This is one of those "what the heck??" novels that you often find in the modernist genre. Not originally classed as a modernist
Jeffrey Keeten
May 04, 2016 Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic

photo the-innocents-1961_zpsjib312lw.jpg
Screen shot from the 1961 version of The Innocents based on the James short story.

A governess is hired to look after the nephew and niece of a man who has inherited the responsibility for the children after the death of their parents. He is very explicit in his instructions to the governess that he is not to be bothered with e
Turn of the Screw is a pretty cool story. It's about a governess who either heroically attempts to protect her two charges from malevolent ghosts or goes dangerously bonkers. James leaves it ambiguous and I love that kind of story. Ambiguity works for me. Four stars for the plot. Kindof an abrupt ending though.

On the other hand there's his writing style. I was at this party once and the topic was what would you do if the world was ending and the answer was generally that we would have all the se
Aug 16, 2016 Jibran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, british imagination had, in a flash, turned real. He did stand there!

I could not decide whether I was more intrigued by the Gothic thriller or the intricate jalebi of the prose, a truly - truly - labyrinthine prose, which James employs with great effect for the purpose of dissimulation. (Folks would later dub it 'unreliable narration.') You can trust James to phrase the most simplest of ideas and situations in the most imaginative of ways without making a fool of you; but if you still insist on cl
Redonkulous! Where's my SPOOKY?!
I mean, I thought I'd get a few good jump scares out of a book with possessed children in it. You know what didn't happen, not even once, while I was listening to this book?

I'm not sure why my teenage self thought The Turn of the Screw was worth 4 stars, but my older-than-teenage self certainly doesn't.
On the surface, it seems like this should be a winner for me in the classic department - short, scary...short. But it was kinda crap.

So the gist is that thi
I dedicate this review to my dear friend Vessey, with whom I read this book. Her amazing reviews helped me when I first started writing mine!
"It was as if, while I took in—what I did take in—all the rest of the scene had been stricken with death. I can hear again, as I write, the intense hush in which the sounds of evening dropped. The rooks stopped cawing in the golden sky, and the friendly hour lost, for the minute, all its voice. But there was no other change in nature, unless indeed it were
I often embrace the notion of writing being superior than plot to the extent of salvaging a lackluster body of the latter, very close to my heart. And it is stories like these that realign my reading meter in that direction.

Henry James’ story has no flaws per se; instead, has a pollen bearing promise to turn into a full feather. A series of apparition that haunts the governess of a house, driving her to cast her net of suspicion across all the residents, primarily the children, makes for a premi
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
May 13, 2010 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: committed fans of gothic/classic horror, fans of Henry James
Reading this story was a lot like standing in line opening weekend for a blockbuster you waited a year to see, and being underwhelmed. I was disappointed. I've heard about this story as being one of the best ghost stories ever written. I was so excited to read it. So excited was I, I had to download it to my Kindle to read right away, even though I have this story in one of my paperback collections. I love psychological horror, but I don't think a good psychological horror novel should leave the ...more
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
2.5 stars.
Interesting, this one...
Paul Bryant
Jun 10, 2013 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spooky-ookums, novels

Paranormal Activity 6 : The Turn of the Screw

Anyway, great story, but I must mention three STYLISTIC ISSUES which may perhaps GRATE on the less patient reader.

1) In The Turn of the Screw, as in a lot of HJ’s stuff, people like to finish each other’s sentences :

“But aren’t they all – “
“Sent home? Yes.” P33

“Did she see anything in the boy –“
“That wasn’t right? She never told me.” P 36

“He c
Oct 28, 2015 Evgeny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The plot of this classic Gothic book is well-known, so I will hit only the high points. A governess is hired by an English gentleman to take care of his orphaned nephew and niece. The only big condition for her work: she will never ever bother the guy with the problems with the kids. I could never figure out whether it was his eccentricity, or he just did not care about the kids much.

The governess' first impression of the place was very favorable and the kids were adorable. Add to this good sal
Helen Stavraki
Sep 07, 2016 Helen Stavraki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Σύμφωνα με την εποχή που γράφτηκε,το βιβλίο ειναι αδιαμφισβήτητα μια ιστορία τρόμου,φαντασίας και ψυχολογικής έντασης.
Η αλήθεια ειναι πως ο συγγραφέας εξ αρχής ακροβατεί ανάμεσα σε πραγματικά ή φανταστικά γεγονότα και καταστάσεις που αφήνει την εξήγηση τους στη διακριτική ευχέρεια του αναγνώστη.
Επομένως μέσα σε όλη την ομιχλωδη και την αδιευκρίνιστη εξέλιξη της πλοκής το βιβλίο τούτο ή το λατρεύεις ή το μισείς. Δεν αφήνει περιθώρια μέσης λύσης.

Το δικό μου συμπέρασμα δεν έχει να κάνει με φαντά
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Me at 50%:

And 75%. And 90%.

I was actually really excited to read this classic Henry James novella, a gothic ghost story published in 1898. A young woman is hired to be the governess for two young orphans by their uncle, whose good looks and charm impress the governess. She wants to impress him in turn with her capability, especially when his main command to her is that she never, NEVER, bother him with any problems or concerns.

She's packed off to the uncle's country estate to meet young Flora an
2.5 Stars. GEESH.......Glad it's over! Great set-up to draw in the reader with the anticipated narration of an eerie old manuscript, but Whew! What a verbose read!

I usually love, love, love old creepy gothic horror stories, but this one (to me) was not scary or eerie or even very atmospheric. Now, there were a couple of "sightings" in a window, one in particular that made me think......oh we go, but my hopes were soon short lived.

Besides a couple of suspicious deaths and the strang

Paul Bryant
Jun 10, 2013 Paul Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litcrit

It is the worst thing in the world to leave children with servants.
Maria Edgeworth , Practical Education, 1798

Of all the vulgar superstitions of the half educated, none dies harder than the absurd delusion that there is no such thing as ghosts.
William T Stead, Real Ghost Stories, 1897

The T of the S is a very mechanical matter, I honestly think – an inferior, a merely pictorial, subject and rather a shameless pot-boiler.
Henry James in a letter, 1898

Come, let us enter what Wayne Booth called “t
Jun 19, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooh, what a fantastic ghost story! I've been meaning to read more Henry James, and this was such a fun gothic thriller that I'm even more impressed with his range of works.

The story is that a governess goes to an English country house to take charge of two orphaned children, Miles and Flora. The governess is told she must manage everything herself and not disturb the children's uncle, who is their guardian. Soon the governess is alarmed when she sees an unknown man and woman around the estate, a
Oct 06, 2016 orsodimondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana
Questo libro mi ha fatto paura, m'ha messo i brividi, m'ha costretto a leggere solo in presenza del sole per tenermi lontano da buio e tenebre: ci sono i fantasmi o li vede solo la governante? E' lei, figlia di un pastore, così rigida da inventarsi tutto o i fantasmi imperversano davvero? I bambini sono vittime, complici o addirittura carnefici?
E anche se tutte queste domande rimanessero senza risposta precisa, che importa? Si tratta comunque di una splendida unica storia d'amore.
Time to admit it: I am never finishing this book. Short as it is, it is a big chore. It's too bad, because the story itself is interesting to me, as is the ambiguity about whether supernatural things are really happening. Likewise, James' prose style, while very much not to my personal taste, is certainly not bad. As a combination, however, plot and style are terrible. The lengthy, convoluted sentences and slowness of narration completely sap any sense of fear, urgency, or even unease from the s ...more
Nov 07, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: brit lit fans, people who like psychological readings of texts
Creepy. Twisty-turny. Ghosts. Weird kids. Unreliable, possibly insane narrator. Henry James, is there no genre that you will not poke your head into?

No, really. It's interesting though. On the surface, this story is perfect to curl up by the fire with on a cold winter's night. Which is exactly how the book is framed, by the way. As a story told in front of a fireside on a cold winter's night. It's short, it reads quickly, and is open to pretty much whatever you want to make of it. James lets yo
Jason Koivu
Oct 03, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm quite upset! Henry James scared the bejeezus out of me and I demand he put it back! I loved my bejeezus...

The Turn of the Screw is old school horror. More eerie and creepy rather than horrid and ghastly, but effective in its ability to scare with atmosphere and suggestion. What better setting to do so than the cold, damp and lonesome English countryside?
2.5 stars rounded up. I know I am in the minority with my GR friends this time! A decent story but the execution just didn't really work for me. I think an audio or movie version would perhaps be a better option with this one.

Full review to follow.
Oct 15, 2016 Werner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural fiction
By classifying this book as supernatural fiction, of course, I've already made my interpretive stance (which is based on having read the book twice --once as a college student in the early 70s, and more recently after becoming aware of the revisionist theory, to see whether I'd missed anything the first time) clear; I view this as a straightforward story of a ghostly haunting, and the governess as exactly what James makes a point of establishing her to be at the outset, a trustworthy narrator. I ...more
Narrated by Emma Thompson, I enjoyed re-reading this classic, gothic novella.

I know many readers are not impressed by this book, but I enjoyed it, (again). I know it's rather verbose, especially considering the length of the book, but I found more than a few of the sentences to be outright chilling.

I've always loved psychological horror and ambiguous stories, so this one hits most of the marks for me. My original rating of the book, at 4 stars, stands.

Jan 20, 2016 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, ghostly
Το Στρίψιμο της βίδας το προσέγγισα όχι ως απλό ανάγνωσμα, αλλά με μία ψυχολογική ανάλυση για την παιδική ηλικία και την σκληρή μετάβαση στην ενηλικίωση.
Είδα τα παιδιά ως καθαρές ψυχές, σχεδόν σαν λευκή κόλλα χαρτί, να προσεγγίζουν το Κακό και το Καλό με την ίδια αγνότητα. Όπως είναι κάθε παιδί ανέγγιχτο από την ενοχή που προκαλεί η συνειδητοποίηση πολλών πραγμάτων καθώς ενηλικιωνόμαστε όπως η αισχρότητα, η ντροπή και άλλα.
Είδα την γκουβερνάντα ως το σύμβολο αυτό, που ήρθε να τους υποδείξει το Κ
Jul 07, 2007 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Henry James is tough and I find his text to be pretty convoluted. I have this "joke": the average letter count/word in this book is about 9. Of course, it's not, but I vaguely remember the need to read this book with a dictionary. That probably only makes me less educated.
It's also old, so the ghost story is not at all thrilling or causing a "page-turner" status. The same thing happens over and over again and it's "scary", all to arrive at an ambiguous climax that is interesting, but not really
Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
"The Turn of the Screw" is an intense psychological tale of terror. It begins in an old house on Christmas Eve. It is the story of a Governess who comes to live with and take care of two young children. The Governess loves her new position in charge of the young children, however she is soon disturbed when she begins to see ghosts."

Really? I thought it was boring and dated and just a bit silly. It would make a good B movie and that's about it's level, for me anyway.
Dec 08, 2010 Mariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I died so I could haunt you
Recommended to Mariel by: opinions versus the sun
The Turn of the Screw takes place in multiple rooms in my brain. It hasn't taken up shop in my heart. It's a cold feeling, so the echo is made against stone walls that don't touch the rest of me. It's rare for a Henry James story to go there. If it does, it's in a "I hope that never happens to me" mental knee jerk way. I can't sort out how I feel about it because I'm caught up in the primordial longings. How the hell did they get there? I'm one to half convince myself it never happened, open you ...more
Apr 07, 2016 Apatt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Spooky old house, creepy kids, very nicely narrated free audiobook. What’s not to like? Just about everything else as far as I am concerned. The protagonist is a gabby unnamed governess who sees dead people but ain’t afraid of no ghosts. In the meantime there is something very fishy about the two beautiful children in her charge, I imagine their omega-3 level must be through the roof.

Seriously though, one must not diss the classics even if one does not like them, it is very bad form. Certainly w
Nov 16, 2014 Hana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hana by: Kim
Don't read this on a dark November night!!!

I was not in the mood last night to plunge into my current buddy read, so I turned to this classic Kindle freebie. It was short. The perfect bed-time story. NOT.

Scary as anything and seriously weird. At least five or six times I literally had chills running down my back and once I finished I couldn't sleep. I'm still not sure what it was all about, but I felt better when I saw from reviews on Goodreads that hundreds and hundreds of professor-types have
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Melmoth the Wanderer
  • In a Glass Darkly
  • Gothic Tales
  • The Monk
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • The Blithedale Romance
  • Bad Twin
  • The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
  • The Romance of the Forest
  • Aurora Leigh
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
Henry James, OM, son of theologian Henry James Sr., brother of the philosopher and psychologist William James and diarist Alice James, was an American-born author, one of the founders and leaders of a school of realism in fiction. He spent much of his life in England and became a British subject shortly before his death. He is primarily known for a series of major novels in which he portrayed the ...more
More about Henry James...

“No, no—there are depths, depths! The more I go over it, the more I see in it, and the more I see in it, the more I fear. I don’t know what I don’t see—what I don’t fear!” 33 likes
“He was there or was not there: not there if I didn't see him.” 14 likes