Start by marking “Maameren tarinat 1-3 (Maameren tarinat, #1 Maameren velho, #2 Atuanin Holvihaudat, #3 Kaukaisin ranta)” as Want to Read:

Maameren tarinat 1-3 (Earthsea Cycle #1-3)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  15,014 Ratings  ·  293 Reviews
Sisältää teokset:

Maameren tarinat 1: Maameren velho (A Wizard of Earthsea, 1968).
Maameren tarinat 2: Atuanin Holvihaudat (The Tombs of Atuan, 1971).
Maameren tarinat 3: Kaukaisin ranta (The Farthest Shore, 1972).
Maameri... velhojen ja varjojen sirpaleinen saaristo... lohikäärmeiden ja labyrinttien sokkeloinen maailma.

Nuori Varpushaukka vihitään aikuiseksi ja hänestä tule
Published 2003 by WSOY (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Maameren tarinat 1-3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maameren tarinat 1-3

Jan-Maat
Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy remains one of the more memorable books I read as a schoolboy. The claustrophobic atmosphere of The Tombs of Atuan, the dry, draining, feeling that pervades The Farthest Shore, the psychological sophistication of A Wizard of Earthsea.

The series as a whole strikes me as being a lot more philosophical than most children's books while at the same time they remain Bildungsroman with their theme of growing into adult estate.

In contrast to much of the fantasy that I do
Milo
Jan 10, 2011 Milo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: golden, satirez, wands-out
Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy is one of my favorites. Her style is so unique and the underlying themes in her books are powerful. She has this way of saying a lot without saying much...if that makes any sense.

If you love wizardry this is the book for you. Ged is the name of the Archmage in this series and unlike Gandalf, who is presented as incorruptible, Ged must battle his own demons to gain redemption. The story is from Ged's point of view so he seems more human than the classical rep
James
Oct 07, 2007 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy or Harry Potter fans
Shelves: fantasy
These are three beautifully written novels that make up a trilogy that is both highly influential in the modern fantasy trilogy and also highly unlike any trilogy out there.

The first book "A Wizard of Earthsea" follows the story of a young boy named Ged (he has a bunch of other names, but he's Ged) and his adventures as he discovers he is a wizard, goes off to a wizard academy to train, discovers he will be the most powerful wizard ever, and is inextricably linked to a diabolical evil that will
Книжни Криле
Чете ми се фентъзи! Ама не какво да е фентъзи. Погледът ми се спира на Урсула Ле Гуин и нейната „Землемория”, или по-точно, на пълното издание от ик. „Бард”. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле":

Stefan Yates
Feb 02, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having previously read Ursula Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness, I was a little leery of starting on the Earthsea Trilogy. I found Le Guin's style in Left Hand of Darkness to be very difficult to slog through for me and, while her ideas and story were very well crafted, I did not enjoy my reading experience at all.

My experience with the Earthsea Trilogy couldn't have been more different from that of Left Hand of Darkness. Maybe because Earthsea is more intended for a younger audience, none of the
Apatt
Sep 18, 2012 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the edition I bought as a wee lad, I only managed to finish A Wizard of Earthsea due to foolishness of the young. Recently I have finished reading all three books of the original trilogy so I thought I'd link this book to my review of the individual volumes:

A Wizard of Earthsea - My review
In which we meet young goat herder Duny soon to be named Ged and nicknamed Sparrowhawk. This is the story of Ged attending a school of wizardry on Roke Island, a serious mistake he made through hubris a
Stephen Smith
Jul 07, 2011 Stephen Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book could be a case study in how not to write a fantasy novel. Start with poorly-drawn characters the reader will feel indifferent about. Add a world that isn't very interesting. Complete it by having the characters do next to nothing of significance. Then, when the climactic battle comes the reader has nothing invested in the outcome.

In this novel, Ursla LeGuin has succeeded in making dragons and wizards seem tedious and boring, which is no small feat.

I'll try to reiterate the plot, but
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during It's a Kind of Magic (April 2017)

A Wizard of Earthsea
Date I read this book: December 2nd, 2016
★★★

On the island of Gont a young boy nicknamed Sparrowhawk is born with innate magical abilities. Motherless, his Aunt sees his potential and teaches him what she knows of magic and the words of power. When Kargish invaders threaten his small village of Ten Alders he is able to protect it by summoning a fog, concealing it from the
Bucko
Jan 29, 2010 Bucko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Unlike the Lord of the Rings, which is three volumes of one book, this consists of three books which are each quite distinct entities to themselves. (I was just too lazy to find all three books and review them separately.) They go together because they share a common protagonist, the erstwhile goatherd known as Sparrowhawk, whose true name is Ged.
The first book, A Wizard of Earthsea, deals with Ged as boy and young man, struggling to come to grips with his power. The second book, The Tombs of At
Saskia (Smitie)
Jan 04, 2017 Saskia (Smitie) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, bookcrossing
Aangezien dit drie boeken zijn in 1, maak ik per boek een mini review:

Machten van Aardzee: Heerlijke ouderwetse fantasie. Ik heb erg genoten van de avonturen van Ged, al was hij soms wat filosofisch. De magie en het mysterie van de schaduw zijn erg interessant. Ik miste wel een kaartje van het Aardzee gebied, ik vind het fijn om me soms even te oriënteren waar in de fantasiewereld we zitten.

De Tomben van Atuan: Weer een fantasierijk verhaal met in het centrum de mysterieuze tomben van Atuan. Dez
Bodhidasa Caldwell
I re-read this masterpiece trilogy on a recent Buddhist retreat in New Zealand. It became something of a spiritual road-map for my inner journey. Each book seemed to address, in mythic proportions, the struggles I was having with being an heir to my actions or with feeling bound by dusty habits. Admittedly, there were less dragons in New Zealand, despite what Peter Jackson might lead you to believe.

Le Guin's thoughtful, reflective almost poetic prose engaged me on every level. The story is simp
Cia
Jul 04, 2011 Cia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-lit
Not bad, but rather dull. Nowhere near as exciting as the blurb suggests, but I have no objections to studying it once uni starts up again in September. As far as reading for pleasure goes, I would probably have dropped this after the first book.
The second book of the trilogy- The Tombs of Atuan- was perhaps the best. The decriptions of the Labyrinth, etc, were chilling and effective. Characterisation on the whole, however, was somewhat poor. Overall, the blandest fantasy I've come across.
Pixie Dust
Mar 13, 2015 Pixie Dust rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy comprises the first three novels set in the Earthsea world. My second time reading it in 9 years, I found that it still held up well.

The narration often takes on a matter of fact tone, almost taking for granted as perfectly natural all the magic and customs of the land, and the novels read like Icelandic sagas in the way the stories are told like old myths and legends. Despite the brevity of the novels, Le Guin manages to convey the sense that there is a vast amount of history in th
Stephanie
Jan 01, 2010 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing.

This book was recommended to me by one of my favorite professors, so it's hard to say I really didn't like it. But I really didn't. The plots are rambling and formulaic, the characters are flat, and the narration aspires to poetry but comes off as awkward and over-the-top. Everything in the story has been done better by some other author, usually Tolkien.

Maybe I just don't know how to read this style, but the general sense I get from it is negative. Le Guin does make her main
Joel Mitchell
I have frequently seen Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea novels placed on the same level as The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia (my two all-time favorite series). I finally decided to give them a shot and discovered that they just aren't my cup of tea. I can see why some people like them (a lushly described world and interesting psychological points), but,frankly, they bored me overall. I generally like my fantasy to be epic in scale, and Earthsea is not that kind of fantasy.

The archipe
El
The first of the trilogy, A Wizard of Earthsea, introduces readers to Ged (aka Sparrowhawk) and follows him to wizard school where he learns all of the words and spells that make him one of the most powerful wizards in all of Earthsea. In The Tombs of Atuan, then second book, Tenar is taken from her family as The Chosen One to be the guardian of the tombs of Atuan. In her time there she meets Ged (now middle-aged) who is searching the tombs for a specific treasure. The third, The Farthest Shore, ...more
Julie
Read A Wizard of Earthsea. I'd heard a lot of recommendations for this, but I was disappointed. It seemed like Le Guin was trying too hard to make "fantasy" language, and focusing not enough on character or story. The whole "plot" ended up concluded within 2 pages, and it was pointless. I'm going to try the 2nd book and see if it gets any better, just because so many people I respect had rec'd it to me.
3/24/09- Finished The Tombs of Atuan. A huge step up from the first book. There are important
Acr0

Ged, tout jeune apprend les rudiments avec sa tante, dans un petit village de Gont. A la suite de son terrible exploit: créer un brouillard pour repousser les assaillants, il se retrouve sous la tutelle d'Ogion, grand sorcier. Ce dernier décide de l'envoyer à l'école de magie de Roke où il sera formé. Bien loin de se douter de la déchirure et de l'Ombre qu'il délivrerait, contre toute attente, Ged se bat en duel avec un autre élève. De cette terrible erreur, Ged deviendra une proie permanente et
Stephanie
I ought to dislike high fantasy written for children. Usually I'm not a fan of sentimental dialogue and vague moral lessons, which turn an otherwise excellent story into a spiritual soapbox and/or allegory. (*ahem* Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass *ahem*)
The Earthsea Trilogy is no exception.

I would say it's an inherent flaw of the fantasy Bildungsroman--goodly advice, exhaustingly serious, a bit predictable (light vs. dark, ideally with a dark lord thrown in somewhere for the protagonist
Mary
The first book in this trilogy was published in 1968, 2nd in 1970, and 3rd in 1972. Highly recommended as must read books, I had no idea what to expect.
Written way before Eragon or Harry Potter or any of the wizard/dragon books I loved reading this trilogy. Each book is very different from the others and they all were wonderful. The last book, The Farthest Shore, even took me into spituality and the meaning of life/death and light/dark.
Without meeting the people I have met through my writing
Karlo
Nov 17, 2008 Karlo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Never really followed Le Guin's fantasy works previously, having just joined the SFBC, I picked up this omnibus edition. The writing was wonderful; their was a sense that each word was picked with care; not too much detail, not too little, just enough to evoke the tale she wanted to tell. In the current world of 800+ page books (I'm looking at you, Mr Erikson), I appreciate economy.

Story-wise; it's a slight twist on a familiar trope; the Magician's rise to Mastery from obscurity to SavingTheWor
Emily (BellaGrace)
Jun 05, 2014 Emily (BellaGrace) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first three books in the Earthsea series. They're short novels and all three together make up the length of one average book. They're quick, fun reads. The first two books were 3 stars for me and the third book I gave 4 stars (I'm a sucker for dragons). I'm sure I'll finish out the series.
Bill Mead
Jun 14, 2008 Bill Mead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetic and beautifully imaginative tale. Leguin writes simply and elegantly. She does not waste anyone's time with fluff, yet somehow manages to achieve a depth to her characters and her stories. I wish I could figure out how she does that
Ollie Latham
May 28, 2016 Ollie Latham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Ghibli-adapted fantastical masterpiece of literary and literal wizardry. Discover a new world of magic.
Marianne Ratcliffe
Anyone who hasn't yet discovered Ursula le Guin is in for treat. This is beautifully written, intelligent storytelling, that not only captivates, but gets one thinking about philosophy, morality and the interaction of mankind and his environment. The main characters are fully rounded, challenged by their own inner darkness. It is a series, set in the same world, with some returning characters, but each book can be read as a separate piece, without having to have read previous books. The world is ...more
Nicolas
Ce volume regroupe sous une seule couverture trois romans traitant du monde de Terremer, et en particulier d'Epervier, le plus fameux sorcier que la terre ait porté. Laissez-moi donc vous détailler un peu tout ça.

Le Sorcier de Terremer

Dans ce premier roman, on découvre l'initiation d'Epervier à la magie, à la fois de la aprt des vieilles sorcières de village, mais aussi dans le cadre plus prestifieux de l'école de magie de Terremer. On est toutefois dans ce cas à l'opposé du Poudlard de Harry Po
Aoibheann
Mar 06, 2017 Aoibheann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful. What Fantasy should be
Cheshirka
Apr 27, 2014 Cheshirka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
О Боги, я вернулась к Волшебнику еще раз. Самый первый раз мне подарил эту трилогию отец, заказал тогда в интернет-магазине и невзначай отдал. Боги-боги, почему я не сохранила книгу? Засунула куда-то и теперь она там и стоит, никто ее не читает.
В детстве я не смогла продраться дальше половины первой книги, потому что на меня навевала скуку такое медленное и бездейственное повествование. Герои, казалось мне, живут так, как будто им написали так жить: никакого выбора, никаких душевных метаний не о
Sally Wolf
Jul 09, 2010 Sally Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book One - A Wizard of Earthsea
This is about a young man's journey from a lonely poor boy to a wizard of legend. I think This little adventure is well written. It is about the way pride and envy can make you loose yourself. This is one man's quest to find it again before it destroys him forever Just like any quest it is full of adventure, joy and pearl.

The moral of it all being to face your fear head on and beat it before it beats you. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy esp
Niharika Mudgal
Book One - A Wizard of Earthsea

Steampunk, New We...: The Earthsea Cycle By Ursula K. Le Guin 9 21 Jul 05, 2015 03:51PM
The Sword and Laser: Can Someone please tell me why I should read the Earthsea Trilogie? 34 317 Jan 22, 2014 02:00PM
Ursula Le Guin - Where to Start? 4 38 Nov 14, 2012 09:58AM
Fantasy Book Club: Earthsea 2 119 Oct 16, 2011 03:43AM
  • The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • The First Chronicles of Amber (Books 1-5)
  • The Dark Is Rising Sequence  (The Dark Is Rising #1-5)
  • The Elric Saga Part II (Elric Saga, #4-6)
  • Riddle-Master (Riddle-Master, #1-3)
  • Serments et deuils (L'assassin royal, #10)
  • The Riftwar Saga (The Riftwar Saga, #1-4)
  • Cugel's saga (The Dying Earth, #3)
  • The Belgariad Boxed Set: Pawn of Prophecy / Queen of Sorcery / Magician's Gambit / Castle of Wizardry / Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #1-5)
  • The Gormenghast Novels (Gormenghast, #1-3)
  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1-3)
  • Gagner la guerre
  • The Abhorsen Trilogy Box Set (Abhorsen, #1-3)
  • Jinian Star-Eye (The End of the Game, #3)
  • Farthest Shores of Ursula K Le Guin
  • The Fionavar Tapestry (The Fionavar Tapestry #1-3)
  • The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)
As of 2013, Ursula K. Le Guin has published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. Forthcoming ...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin...

Earthsea Cycle (6 books)
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
  • Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)
  • Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #5)
  • The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #6)

“To hear, one must be silent.” 63 likes
“They praised his modesty and did not listen to him, for listening is a rare gift, and men will have their heroes.” 4 likes