Zombie Island (Shakespeare Undead, #2)

Zombie Island (Shakespeare Undead #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In the follow-up to Shakespeare Undead, vampire William Shakespeare and his Dark Lady

are stranded on a mystical island where zombies are plentiful and one man will stop at nothing to become all-powerful

Fresh from a triumphant battle over the zombie horde that invaded London, vampire William Shakespeare concocts a plot to rid the love of his life from the encumbrance of her...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Island

Angela
I requested this as I was curious as to how zombies and Shakespeare would blend together in the same story. I have never read those popular books such as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as I never enjoyed Pride and Prejudice so I doubted the inclusion of zombies would make it much better. Shakespeare on the other hand is a different story altogether and I figured I could not go wrong. I was right. This was a great read and despite being a sequel, I did not feel I had missed anything from not hav...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
The delightfully trashy sequel to Shakespeare Undead, I think I liked this one even more than the first. Some of the issues I had with the first - like the voices of the characters not being different enough, and the way the quotes from Shakespeare's plays were intermittently placed, were handled a bit better in this one.

Also, I liked the riff on 'The Tempest' and seeing how Handeland handled Ariel and Caliban. Also, it was kind of nice to see Kate's husband develop more as a character, instead...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Apr 10, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal, History, English Lit
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Great Minds Think Aloud
Shelves: april-2012-reads
A delightful, subtly humourous, alternate historical, paranormal romance, “Zombie Island” is author Lori Handeland’s sequel to “Shakespeare Undead,” which introduced us to the concept of-William Shakespeare, English playwright and poet extraordinare, as a centuries-old zombie; and his “Dark Lady,” the true love of his vastly extended life, one Katherine Dymond, married lady and domestic abuse victim, Will’s mistress, newly “undead” or presumably so. That is to say, Will has arranged that “Kather...more
Kitty
When thinking of a literary mash-up, often the thought is of a classic tale (such as PRIDE AND PREJUDICE) with the inclusion of a sort of monster (like ... say… zombies). In Lori Handeland’s SHAKESPEARE UNDEAD, she offers a fresh and welcomed approach to the mash-up genre. Instead of a classic tale retold, she delivers how that story came to be in a clever and humorous original telling.

Will, our darling playwright, seems to be in a bit of a funk. He is unable to get past his writers block until...more
OMG
+ Zombies.
+ I don't know much about Shakespeare's work (except from some of the obvious things), but this is an interesting way to have some characters introduced I might never have heard of (and do some additional Wikipedia-reading on those, mayhap).
+ Humor. It's funny. Could've been funnier, but funny nonetheless.

+/- Sometimes I couldn't make sense of whether it was night or day. It seemed to switch kind of randomly. Then again, magic. I'll just use that as an explanation.

+/- While being funny...more
Melissa
As I said with the first book, Shakespeare Undead, you really need a sense of humor about Shakespeare to read this one. Staunch Shakespearians need not read. For everyone else who doesn't mind their English poet imagined anew, then you might take a look at this book as well.

It leaves off right after the first book. Will's Dymond becomes a castaway because of a willful sprite wanting Kate to get rid of the zombies on her isle. There is an evil and insane sorcerer who is hell bent on getting his c...more
Meagan
Mar 18, 2012 Meagan added it
Zombie Island by Lori Handeland is the successful follow up to Shakespeare Undead. In the last book, vampire William Shakespeare fought a battle with a stream of zombies that invaded London. This book sees Shakespeare plot to destroy Kate’s (love interest) husband so that they can be together. However, all does not go according to plan, as after William successfully administers the sleeping dead potion to Kate and they are both look set to sail away into the sunset, the two are shipwrecked on an...more
Samantha
I guess this series just... isn't for me. I absolutely hated the writing in the first book, which I only read because I received an ARC of this one. I had higher hopes for the sequel, but I'm still not just loving it. I think what annoys me is all the incessant relations to Shakespeare's works. It makes the books seem less creative to me. I feel like this could've been a really, really funny idea and Handeland just didn't quite make it work for me. I honestly didn't even finish it, I just got to...more
Robert
This was an ARC from NetGalley. I am so happy I was able to review this from St. Martin's Press.

3.5/5

This story was an interesting take on Shakespeare and his “life”. I enjoyed the author’s use of historical figures such as his wife Kate and Queen Elizabeth 1 as a backdrop for the story. I will say that it felt like a love story with the words Vampire and Zombie stuffed into places where it otherwise would not have been. It was more about a love story which I did think was well written. I had ne...more
Kellie Ann
This book is a wonderful mix of humor, romance, magic, and ZOMBIES. The characters had a good amount of detail, describing enough of their pass to read this as a stand alone book instead of reading them in the series. The humor was subtle , yet there adding a light mood over the more serious situations. The character of Will Shakespeare was great, as was his relationship with Kate. The author incorporated much of Wills playwriting skills within the book, while using some of the same language as...more
Diayll
Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: ARC Provided by Publisher
Reviewer: AimeeKay

I was sooo excited when I opened my mail and found this one!! What can I say I have a zombie problem. While I did have some issues with certain things, I did enjoy the story a lot overall.

I found Kate and William both highly entertaining. I laughed out loud at quite a few parts. I liked how the author worked in famous quotes. Plus I really enjoyed the different stor...more
Vicky
The first book in this series, Shakespeare Undead, was better. Overall premise: Shakespeare is a vampire. He's already lived for centuries when we catch up with him in the standard Shakespearean/Elizabethan era of the first book. He meets his Dark Lady (known from the Shakespearean sonnets), Kate - a zombie hunter.

This book picks up as the last left off, (view spoiler) When Will sets off...more
Brent Soderstrum
I recieved an advance reading copy through Goodreads first read program.

This novel is the second in the Shakespeare Undead series. This novel was better then the first. This book picked up following the staged "death" of Kate. Will and Kate both end up shipwreaked on Zombie Island. On this island are a fairy, a sorcerer and Kate's husband Reginald. The sorcerer is trying to raise a zombie army to take the throne which he feels is rightly his. The fairy, though enslaved by the sorcerer, is trying...more
Kelly
Liked this but wished I have read the first one. Still want to. received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Alex
This wasn't quite as good as the first one, but it was still pretty entertaining. My favorite parts in the first book were the sprinkling of ideas Shakespeare would have, which would go on to become very popular movies later on. This book did have a few of those, but not nearly as much as I would have liked.

(view spoiler)

Will there be a third one? This ende...more
Rorie
I found this book, like the first, vastly entertaining with a plot that moves and characters that resonate. Having taken a class on Shakespeare way back in undergrad, perhaps I am more amiable toward the concept and the integration of the play plot lines and the zombies. This book picks up after the Romeo and Juliet type plan fails and the two lovers find themselves marooned on an isle with an insane sorcerer and his lust for the throne of England. The ending is not as satisfying as nothing is r...more
Courtney Nowland
Super fun and cute book. Really enjoyed it.
Marya
Jun 21, 2012 Marya added it
This book, while enjoyable simplifies the tale of the Tempest, which is of course the point. So, if you are a die hard lover of Shakespeare, and get mad when his works are adjusted, then this book is not for you. However, if you love Shakespeare and adore the quotes, the characters and the bard himself then this is will be a happy book for you and a nice enjoyable read.
Heather
I was stunned to find myself thoroughly enraptured with this book. Often I find that Zombie novels are cliche or too over-the-top; yet with this book, Lori Handeland did an amazing job incorporating Shakespearean works with the walking dead and plots of intrigue. I randomly chose this based on the cover art at the library and am now going to have to get the first book.
Bandit
William Shakeaspeare is a zombie battling necromancer vampire...the premise alone is priceless. Silly but cute mash up sequel. Handleland light hearted take on a Shakespeare's classic can be over the top ridiculous, but at its best it sparkles with wit and humor. The ending is a total set up for the next adventure. Fun very quick read.
Eric
This was entertaining, the author gets a bit too much into the sex scenes and I felt often that she intended that to be. I also felt the references to nonshakespeare works were cute but a bit overdone.

That said, I did go out and find the first book and I'm currently 75% done with that. These are quick reads.
Courtney
I'll admit it. Even the second book was still entertaining although, like it's predecessor, not the most well written book. I'm looking forward to reading about Will and Kate defending the Queen from yet another zombie take over!
April
Didn't hate it but am not eager for more either. See the full review over at bookspotcentral.com

Jeffrey
A clever jaunt through history and Shakespeare's works - Shakespeare is a vampire in pursuit of his lady love, a zombie killer - as they encounter the inspirations for characters from the Tempest.
Klmoran09
I quite liked this book. It had a little bit of everything like a Supernatural episode. Haha. I do wish I had read the first book in the series but I intend to read it now. Not much given away.
Shawna The Crazy Bookseller
I am really enjoying reading this series about the vampire William Shakespear. And zombie island sounds like a perfect place to rule an army of zombies. I must find this island.
Shannon
This follow up to Shakespeare Undead seemed to be more at home as a romance novel than the first. It's still funny and a fun read, but with a lot more sex.
M—
the barren shore
the distant storm—
also a zombie army

This review has moved:
Mary
Loved this book and the twist on the original Shakespeare. My sons have also read this book and really enjoyed it. Was a quick enjoyable read.
Kimi
OH MY GOODNESS! I absolutely cannot wait for the next book to come out.
  • Orchid, Volume 1
  • Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb
  • Blood Zero Sky
  • Obsidian and Blood
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • Juggernaut (Outpost, #0.5)
  • The Mosswoods
  • Squelched: The Suppression of Murder in the Synagogue
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • Quarantine
  • Mass Effect: Invasion
  • The Legend Awakes
  • Lost Kingdom: Hawaii's Last Queen, the Sugar Kings and America's First Imperial Adventure
  • The Sun, the Moon and Maybe the Trains
  • The Royal Wulff Murders
  • The Freaks Shall Inherit the Earth: Why Standing Out Might Be the New Fitting in
  • The Shifters of 2040 (Shifter Evolutions, #3)
Lori Handeland has written over fifty novels, novellas and short stories in several genres--historical, contemporary, series and paranormal romance, as well as urban fantasy--for such publishers as: Dorchester, Kensington, Harlequin, St. Martin’s Press, Harper-Collins, Simon and Schuster and Penguin/Putnam

She is a New York Times, USA Today, Waldenbooks and Bookscan Bestselling Author and the recip...more
More about Lori Handeland...
Blue Moon (Nightcreature, #1) Dark Moon (Nightcreature, #3) Hunter's Moon (Nightcreature, #2) Crescent Moon (Nightcreature, #4) Any Given Doomsday (Phoenix Chronicles, #1)

“I could not be a zombie. They had no thoughts. Their brains were gruel. They said little beyond "Brrr!" unable, even, to articulate completely what they sought.
"Brains,"I said distinctly. "And I feel no burning urge to partake of any." Forsooth, the idea sent a wave of nausea through me. Therefore I was not a zombie.”
3 likes