Start by marking “The Chevalier D'Harmental” as Want to Read:
The Chevalier D'Harmental

The Chevalier D'Harmental

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Classic novel in the original French. According to Wikipedia: "Alexandre Dumas, pÃre (French for "father", akin to 'Senior' in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie (July 24, 1802â"December 5, 1870) was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Fredonia Books (NL) (first published 1845)

To ask other readers questions about The Chevalier D'Harmental, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chevalier D'Harmental

Karen
Aug 29, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read and it just makes me feel good inside to read 'classics'. I will admit to skimming a little during the historical political explanations that didn't seem to be super important to the plot. I just don't know a lot about French history and it all sort of went over my head. But I did enjoy the intrigue and the love story, and the characters.
Stephen
Dec 30, 2008 Stephen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Andy
This is a fun Dumas book, a relatively quick read, it has the romance of The Black Tulip and the adventure of Le Reine Margot, definitely a good book with an interesting storyline. The hero is easy to like and retains the same characteristics of a good Dumas protagonist. This book is the first of a two "companion" book set, the other being The Regent's Daughter.
Ana Sofia
Feb 12, 2015 Ana Sofia rated it it was amazing
I am a Dumas fan, so maybe this is a little biased.
Le Chevalier D'Harmental tells the story of a young chevalier and his adventure.
It's clearly similar to the three musketeers but not so deep and compelling.
Still it does the job captivating the reader with it's perfect characterizations and descriptions of romance and events.
I started this book rather light heatedly but as the ending unfolded i got more and more into the story and was happily surprised.
I recommend it for people who enjoy this
Cynamonka
Aug 07, 2013 Cynamonka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kawaler d'Harmental jest drugą powieścią Dumas, ktróą przeczytałam i przyznam, że miałam dość spore oczekiwania względem tej pozycji. Nie zawiodłam się! Przyjemna, prowadzona lekkim stylem, narracja. Zaskakujące zwroty akcji na koniec, fundujące czytelnikowi jedyne w swoim rodzaju emocje; dworskie intrygi, pojedynki i romanse w tle - dokładnie tego oczekiwałam. Z zapartym tchem śledziłam losy kawalera i jego ukochanej. Główny bohater nie wzbudził zbytnio mojej sympatii, za to inne postaci (zwłas ...more
Gil
Sep 29, 2015 Gil rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Should be made into a movie. Dumas rocks.
Anastasya
Aug 10, 2011 Anastasya rated it liked it
It hadn't stopped me of being a loyal fan of Dumas, but this work is for sure not comparable with the Count of Monte Cristo or the Three Musketeers. More fictional than historical read (such as the Three Musketeers that was based on historical facts), the plot is very fast and lacking details.
Mary
Aug 30, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely romance is hidden in this story, so very well laid out and entrancing. A really wonderful and easy read, although there are times it's difficult to keep up! Well worth the time, give it a try for sure.
Katie
Jan 02, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was filled with adventure, romance, royalty, intrigue, glamour, misfortune, love, humor, and good fun. I liked the characters and the story. It was well paced and fun to read.
Rob
Jul 02, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it
I love Dumas, this book has had me gripped, I love the intertwined action with the romance, brilliant as I have come to aspect from the best author of all time!
Heidi
Sep 27, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's no such thing as a bad Dumas book. The Conspirators is a great book, it just wasn't one of my favorites.
Chicokc
Aug 01, 2011 Chicokc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un muy buen libro, mini tres mosqueteros. Además ya deja a un lado a Luis XIV y entra con Luis XV.
Chris
A fun read, but not in the same category as his more famous books.
Elijah Kinch Spector
I got a beautiful old copy as a gift, I wish it had a year on it.
Amanda Michelle Jones
i have the 1893 edition. i just... wow.
Constança Santos
Constança Santos rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
K
K marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Dan Mewton
Dan Mewton rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
dini
dini rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Francesca
Francesca marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Snuggly Books
Snuggly Books rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Diana Bugrova
Diana Bugrova rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Joao P.N.
Joao P.N. rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2016
Beusii
Beusii rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Yuelung
Yuelung rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
  • The Alley Cat
  • The Last Joy (Green Integer Books)
  • The First Garden
  • Les Animaux dénaturés
  • Sarah Churchill Duchess of Marlborough: The Queen's Favourite
  • Kidnapped and Catriona
  • The Road to Compiegne (French Revolution, #2)
  • A láthatatlan ember
  • Barry Lyndon
  • Les Contemplations
  • The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649­-1815
  • Letters
  • The Alternate Asimovs
  • To the Holy Shrines (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • Komediantka
  • Where the Stress Falls: Essays
  • The Customs of the Kingdoms of India
  • 'Tis Pity She's a Whore and Other Plays
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...