The Archer's Heart Book One

The Archer's Heart Book One (The Archer's Heart #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In the ancient kingdom of Marhavad, noblemen dominate the lower castes, wielding mystic weapons, known as shartas, against any who oppose them. For generations the rule of Marhavad’s kings has been absolute. But now the line of succession is divided, and whispers of revolution are heard in even the royal palace.

Keshan Adaru, an outspoken man of unearthly charms, welcomes t...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 263 pages
Published September 1st 2008 by Blind Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about The Archer's Heart Book One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Archer's Heart Book One

Alex Akira
I truly enjoyed this book, and it will always hold a spot in my heart , as it was among the first non-yaoi, m/m novels that I found when I first learned of the genre.

After coming from reading long complex sagas like A song of Fire and Ice, now known by most as Game of Thrones, I found (then not now) that a lot of the m/m books were rather short. Of course about a year later when I got my first Kindle and began to understand how e-readers were not only changing the reading world , but the way pe...more
Lilia Ford
It's risky to rate the first book of a trilogy without reading the subsequent two volumes--which I will embark on as soon as I finish this little review--but I reacted strongly enough to this to take the risk. So for what it's worth, as fantasy set-ups go, I am happy to give this five stars. It's gorgeously written, with intriguing magic, rich allegorical layers--most obviously of Indian mythology--and compelling moral stakes. Of the three narrative centers, Jandu and Keshan receive the most att...more
Aislinn
It's hard for me to decide what to rate this one. The world building in it is probably worth 5 stars; wonderfully rich descriptions of an India-like setting help to fully immerse you into this world with its lush jungle environment and caste system. The luxurious and extravagant lifestyle of the highest caste, the Triya is shown in great detail, and we are also exposed to the much meaner existences of the lower castes, down to the wretched Jegora. It's refreshing to read about this type of world...more
Melissa
Aug 05, 2014 Melissa marked it as did-not-finish
Nicole
I liked this book--didn't love it. The story was adequate, and I thought the insights into addiction were great. I found the world interesting, and I loved that it was Indian in flavor instead of always being Celtic or Scandinavian or some other Euro flavor. The food sounded great and the people were so beautiful. So that was cool.

I was a little disappointed by the prose. It was a little awkward--not very awkward, but just a little awkward nearly all the time. Some turns of phrase just shot me o...more
Tina Koran
1 word to describe this book if I only had 1 word: Intense! Especially the ending. The world of this novel was molded splendidly and crafted in such a way that made the characters whom inhabit this world so believable. The story had me constantly on edge and the suspense at certain parts kept me craving for more. I couldn't put this book down although I had to once in order to sleep. I look forward to reading the next installment!
Kristy Maitz
First book of "The Archer's Heart" is looking on a main character Jandu who finds out he loves a guy in a kingdom where that is forbidden and also where his family which was reach all the time has to learn to to live pure.

Its a start and its not happy ending.
Mordie
Astrid Amara was one of the first non-yaoi books I started to read. Now days I keep away from Japanese gay comics as I find them too fictional and stupid. I prefer novels on them.

This book will spoil you. I find myself comparing many gay novels to how Astrid Amara writes. There has to be good plot. There has to be a moment of the romance to proceed and the characters to get to know each other.

I would have given five stars if not for the wife. One of the characters was married, which was suddenly...more
Rebecka
I was never able to get even remotely interested in these characters, and when I still didn't care at 65% and the plot took a turn into horrible-writing-land and just made me roll my eyes, I decided enough was enough.
Seregil
Plunged in a society based on castes we are presented with a special moment in its history, when the Regent must chose which one of two half-brother Princes must rule. In the middle of the political schemes there are some very interesting characters that promise to have more of an impact than they appear to in the beginning: the youngest Prince (brother of the ones battling for power and also "the archer"), a powerful lord that is only half human and has the gift of seeing the future and my thir...more
Daesy
MY REVIEW ABOUT THIS BOOK WILL BE ON THE BOOK 1-3.
The Archer's Heart (The Archer's Heart #1-3)
Alyssa
To be honest, I was disappointed. I really liked the setting, and the characters. Keshan became my hero from the very start, and Jandu for all that he is stubborn was actually pretty endearing. I really liked Tarek too, if circumstances were different, he could have been a truly great man. Were he not in the influence of Darvad that is.
For the first few pages of the book, I was swept away. Enchanted. But it went downhill from there. It got a little dry, more descriptive than anything else. I hop...more
Lint
3.75 stars.
Plainbrownwrapper
This is interesting in that it is heavily based in Indian Hindu culture and religion. Unfortunately, it is also meandering, seemingly arbitrary at times, and not very gripping. This is just the first quarter of the overall novel (and, for once, the author at least had the honesty to label it as such, rather than giving each fragment a separate title and pretending each was a complete novel), and as such one might expect that there will be more action and plot movement in the following installmen...more
Jack
Apr 11, 2013 Jack rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I'm not sure. I rather liked the setting, it's refreshing, but... I was bored, and I didn't really like the main characters. In fact, I disliked MOST characters. And the shifts between terrible tragedies and cartoon sitcom jokes didn't work for me either, but I still welcomed them as relief from the boredom.
Will give the next one a try and hope it develops some.
LdDurham
Engrossing and beautifully written with amazing emotions and realistic characters. The setting is perfectly rendered, and the politics are intricately woven so that no one is really the bad guy.

Can't talk more. Must go start part two!
Misha Hamu
Misha Hamu marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Matty
Matty marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Clarissa
Clarissa marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Na
Na added it
Aug 13, 2014
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Löni
Löni marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Dina
Dina marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Mineto
Mineto marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • Dream (Aisling, #2)
  • The Pedlar and the Bandit King (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #1)
  • Greenwode
  • Bound (Kria, #2)
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • Strange Fortune
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
Hell Cop Holiday Outing Carol of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #1) The Archer's Heart Hell Cop 2