Start by marking “The Brimstone Murders (A Jimmy O'Brien Mystery Novel)” as Want to Read:
The Brimstone Murders (A Jimmy O'Brien Mystery Novel)

The Brimstone Murders (Jimmy O'Brien Mystery #3)

Robbie Farris stabbed his junior college professor twenty-seven times.

At his arraignment, Robbie pulls a gun and escapes. After his mother is found murdered in her shabby house trailer, Robbie's lawyer, Jimmy O'Brien, is led into the seemingly unrelated worlds of high-profile, religious evangelism and old-fashioned Mojave Desert borax mining.

Jimmy fights the clock, the cop
Published (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Brimstone Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brimstone Murders

Katherine
I met the author when I walked into the local Barnes & Noble one afternoon. I had no idea who he was at first. After a little discussion on what kind of books I read, he thought I might just like his book.

It's been sitting on my shelf for a couple of months, and while looking for something different to read one night I decided to give it a try. I read it in a day in a half. What was so cool about the book was that it was like reading an old fashioned who dunnit without all the "crap" that ma
Lawrence
Feb 18, 2017 Lawrence rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story and the main character, Jimmy O'Brien. An entertaining cast of supporting characters added to the story. A definite brain candy book for me because I felt early on as far this was almost an episode of The Rockford Files: early seventies Los Angeles; main character attempted to be mostly a one man operation with friends needing to heavily assist; muscle car. Had fun reading it.
Pat
Nov 27, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I wasn't sure what to expect from the title "The Brimstone Murders". What I got was a fast-paced, gripping mystery set in Southern California over thirty years ago. Jimmy O'Brien is a sympathetic lawyer/detective and I very much enjoyed following his adventures. Jimmy's friends are equally fun to read about, and the villians were suitably nasty. The plot kept me guessing. I knew next to nothing about the setting, so Mr. Sherratt's descriptions were enlightening. I was very pleased to see this bo ...more
Jenny Hilborne
Aug 25, 2012 Jenny Hilborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy O'Brien is a criminal defense attorney trying to defend his client Robbie Farris, who has already confessed to killing his College Professor. O'Brien must provide Farris with a good defence, despite the evidence against him. When Farris escapes custody at his arraignment, O'Brien finds himself accountable, and quickly becomes a suspect in another murder. What follows is a humurous legal thriller, with plenty of action and lots of twists. An entertaining read.

Theresa
Apr 18, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of the Jimmy O'Brien Film Noir mystery series. If you like a murder mystery without romance; this is for you! I really enjoyed it!
Gayle
Apr 01, 2009 Gayle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike
Aug 23, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First let me paraphrase a character on tv who once said a line that is very appropriate for this book & for life in general with all the religious nuts out there. "May God save us from 1/2 the people doing God's work."
This book reflects this perfectly considering how all of the villains in this book used God as an excuse for their work including the preacher & the dirt bag that owned a religious network. They're a perfect example of how those who tout the lord's message the loudest are
Jolie
Sep 21, 2012 Jolie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jimmy O'Brien is a hot shot lawyer/ex cop. He took on the case of a teenager, who in an insane religious fit, stabbed his proffesor to death. While in custody, the teenager escapes.

Jimmy is accused of killing the teenager's mother. Determined to clear his name, he starts looking into the drug treatment center that the teenager came from. Then all holy hell starts breaking loose.

I liked this book. The writing style reminded me of a Perry Mason episode....except Perry Mason didn't kill anyone (tha
Charles Robinson
Jan 23, 2015 Charles Robinson rated it liked it
Just OK.

Not as good as the first book in this series. I really enjoyed the whole plot and things but some of the situations that happened was crazy: O'Brien leaving his office unlocked with a gun and clients files all over the place, spending too much time getting information from the so called blind guy while in hot pursuit and just a few other things here and there. But besides that it was just an OK read.
Emily
Jun 10, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
I wasn't sure about this one. For most of the book, I was thinking that it was just OK, but I liked it by the end.

The story is set in 1973 and I enjoyed traveling back to that period. At times, the story seemed to drag a little for me, but I loved how it was all tied up in the end.

For some reason, the story kept reminding me of an old Paul Newman movie, Harper. The story is not similar, but the time period and the general atmosphere kept reminding me of that movie.
Victoria
Dec 12, 2014 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Wow

So Jimmy O'Brien is a lawyer he was protecting Robbie who ended up killing his college teacher. Stabbed 27 times and he finally escapes and then his mom dies and so does he but Jimmy is framed by the priest and his girlfriend is kidnapped so he has to save her.
Steve
Apr 13, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was a fast read with snappy dialogue. My only disappointment was that it turned out to be lawyer as detective all the way, without even really paying lip service to any legal scenes or courtroom drama. More like Indiana Jones than Perry Mason!
Sue Jaffarian
May 06, 2008 Sue Jaffarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very lively and fun book. The pace is quick and the characters colorful. I particularly enjoyed that it was placed in the 70's in and around Downey, California. Neither a time or place often written about.
NVTony
Jun 02, 2012 NVTony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read from start to finish. Mystery carries you quickly forward into an adventure you are glad is fiction not your life. Talk about a misfit lawyer this is your guy. Fun read that had me laughing and tense all in one situation. Mystery lovers this will tickle your fancy.
Karen
This is a good murder mystery that is easy to read. I really couldn't put the book down at times, it is a real page turner. I didn't like some of the language in the book but I just skimmed over it.
suzanne berman
Oct 01, 2016 suzanne berman rated it really liked it
Goodread

You story was easy reading and you kept me reading until the end to know how the main character was going to solve the day.
Janet
Aug 14, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good
Shalonda
Nov 15, 2015 Shalonda rated it it was amazing
Crazy

This was a good read. I wasn't sure if they were actually going to get the real killer. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Teresa
Jan 04, 2009 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was easy, fun reading. It took me to familiar places in southern California and backward in time to the old fifties gumshoe days. Good storyline. I would definitely choose this author again.
sslyb
May 25, 2012 sslyb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was sooo long
Mabel
Oct 01, 2008 Mabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! I can't wait for the next one! It is fun to read about the locations described in the book especially if you are familiar with the LA area.
Cindy
Apr 18, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Loved this Book the author is great. Love the story line. Favorite line of the book
" His bag of marbles has a hole in it.
Claudia Whitsitt
I love Jeff's writing style--chatty and fun with quick-paced action and plenty of wit. Sheer entertainment!
Teresa Collins
Very good mystery. Not your typical trial story. Well written and thoroughly enjoyed.
Janet
Jun 25, 2013 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really Good. K.
Jakenv
May 03, 2012 Jakenv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story. Characters & terrain in each location made me feel tension. More than anticipated would recommend for any mystery buff.
Joe
Aug 13, 2013 Joe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
W
Cindi T
Cindi T rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Viviana
Viviana rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Last Justice
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Trial Junkies (Trial Junkies #1)
  • Three To Get Deadly
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)
  • Grave Situation (Allan Stanton #1)
  • Large Target (Josephine Fuller, #2)
  • Pooh Bridge
  • Hope Road
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2)
  • Pinpoint
  • Triple Exposure
  • Irrefutable
1020111
Jeff Sherratt is the author of the acclaimed Jimmy O'Brien mystery series. His newest book, DETOUR TO MURDER (2010), is published by ZOVA Books and is the first in the Jimmy O'Brien film noir mystery series.

Jimmy O'Brien's latest exploits are chronicled in EXPECTATION TO MURDER (2010), an exclusive e-book released on July 5, 2010.

Soon after its release, his first novel, THE BRIMSTONE MURDERS (2008
More about Jeff Sherratt...

Jimmy O'Brien Mystery (4 books)
  • Guilty or Else