Start by marking “We Have Only This Life to Live” as Want to Read:
We Have Only This Life to Live

We Have Only This Life to Live

Philosopher, novelist, playwright, biographer, journalist, and
activist, Jean-Paul Sartre was also—and perhaps above all—a
great essayist. The essay was uniquely suited to Sartre because
of its intrinsically provisional and open-ended character. It is
the perfect form in which to dramatize the existential character
of our deepest intellectual, artistic, and political commi
Published July 24th 2012 by New York Review Books (first published May 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about We Have Only This Life to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Have Only This Life to Live

Glenn Russell
Mar 25, 2017 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing

“Dos Passos’s world, like Faulkner’s, Kafka’s, or Stendhal’s, is impossible because it is contradictory. But therein lies its beauty. Beauty is a veiled contradiction. I regard Dos Passos as the greatest writer of our time.” - Jean-Paul Sartre, On John Dos Passos and 1919

Thirty Jean-Paul Satre essays collected here, addressing topics ranging from a clarification of existentialism, Husserl’s phenomenology, Kierkegaard’s philosophy, the American working class, Vietnam war crimes to reflections on
Justin Evans
An odd collection, which might be more useful for intellectual historians than readers, like me, who just wanted a bit of Sartre to read after lunch. The important essays are almost all here, but the book suffers a bit by stuffing too many into one volume. Sartre's style is often oratorical to an absurd degree, perfect for declaiming on a Parisian street corner, perhaps, but not so good for, you know, reading.

"No one has the right to say that the events in Hungary made the intervention inevitab
the gift
not the best collection of essays by Sartre- perhaps there is a tendency towards talking about individuals, thoughts in conflict, rather than philosophies. but this works very well in long essay about Merleau-Ponty. it is heartening, romantic in some ways, to imagine intellectual contest being essential to life. this works less well, for me, in his essay on Kierkegaard, but this is because have not read him much. there are a lot of essays here, great sense of how wide-ranging were his interests, ...more
Patrick
May 28, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
I was worried that reading Sartre for the first time in 2013 would feel stale and musty; not so. The obvious passion he feels for issues he chooses to take up keeps his essays fresh, aided by his ability to write with more of a novelist's pen than a philosopher's.

I most enjoyed his piece on THE STRANGER, in which in just three pages he was able to provide me with a better understanding of absurdism than was a full year of high school and another in college.
Leena
May 17, 2016 Leena rated it really liked it
Though I spent almost three months reading this book yet it doesn't say anything about how wonderful it is. But quite the contrary this defines its goodness that it doesn't need to be read sequently. I love how Sartre's philosophy and good sense of writing are being combined. I love that even the topics that I didn't use to be interested in are now way more interesting to me. I love how every social issue; either universal or particular, is being discussed beautifully and in depth.
Chris Shaffer
Mar 08, 2015 Chris Shaffer rated it really liked it
Very Sartre
Rjurik Davidson
Feb 22, 2015 Rjurik Davidson rated it it was amazing
Review essay to come.
Kurishin
Kurishin rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2013
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Andy Hoke
Andy Hoke rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Chase Heemmuden
Chase Heemmuden rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Will
Will rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Nick Curley
Nick Curley rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Richie
Richie rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Carl Johnson
Carl Johnson rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Max
Max rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Bouffardthereader
Bouffardthereader rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
William Graves
William Graves rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Christian Bowe
Christian Bowe rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Ayn
Ayn rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Damla
Damla rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Danielle McClellan
Danielle McClellan rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Khethil
Khethil rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Henk Soede
Henk Soede rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Phoenix_ Phoenix_
Phoenix_ Phoenix_ rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Laura Lucero
Laura Lucero rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
  • The Making of Memory: From Molecules to Mind
  • The Diary of Vaslav Nijinsky
  • The Notebooks of Joseph Joubert
  • The End of a Family Story
  • The Phenomenological Mind: An Introduction to Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science
  • Pages from the Goncourt Journals
  • Afloat
  • The Collected Poems
  • The Sorrow Gondola
  • For a New Novel: Essays on Fiction
Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre, normally known simply as Jean-Paul Sartre, was a French existentialist philosopher and pioneer, dramatist and screenwriter, novelist and critic. He was a leading figure in 20th century French philosophy.

He declined the award of the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature "for his work which, rich in ideas and filled with the spirit of freedom and the quest for truth, has ex
More about Jean-Paul Sartre...

“Existentialism is no mournful delectation but a humanist philosophy of action, effort, combat, and solidarity. Man must create his own essence: it is in throwing himself into the world, suffering there, struggling there, that he gradually defines say what this man is before he dies, or what mankind is before it has disappeared.” 8 likes