Start by marking “Магьосникът от Нил” as Want to Read:
Магьосникът от Нил

Магьосникът от Нил

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Някъде в джунглите на Уганда. Там се крие един беглец - водач на бунтовници, който казва, че получавал своите заповеди направо от отвъдното, от духовния свят и заедно със своята дрипава армия от докарани до състояние на нечовешка жестокост деца-войници, оставя кървава диря от отчаяние и опустошение, пресичаща страната му. Днес Джоузеф Кони е обявен за официален враг на САЩ ...more
Published 2008 by Вакон

To ask other readers questions about Магьосникът от Нил, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Магьосникът от Нил

N Silva
I really liked some parts of the book, and other parts not so much. It just needed some editing. What I liked: it provided a good introduction to the modern history of Uganda, especially as it relates to Northern Uganda as well as the administration (government) of Uganda. It starts out well, with the big picture. I found it bogged down somewhat in the middle because there were a number of jumping off points where the author took a tangent that didn't really add anything to the overall book. As ...more
Adam
Oct 23, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went to Uganda the last two summers to work with Invisible Children. This book is a great history of the 20 year civil war that has plagued northern Uganda. I really loved how the author, Matthew Green, explored the reasons behind the war being more than just a crazy man's dream to rule Uganda. It's a great read.
Valeria
I didn't buy this book, it was given to me by my university as part of the Big Read programme that's supposed to help us get into reading and interacting with the other students who've read the book. Firstly, this programme is so not for me : I'm already a bookworm and frankly this is not a book that would sparks conversation from me in the slightest. I feel a bit bad for not being able to finish it since it was nice of the university to send me a free copy but you can't help not liking a book. ...more
Chris Steeden
Feb 13, 2014 Chris Steeden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting book by Matthew Green in his search to meet the northern Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony back in 2006 to ask him some big questions. The historical content, interviews (with ex-abductees), travelogue and dangerous situations make this a compelling read. You really do feel that you are on the journey with the author sharing the frustrations at finding this wizard or as Kony puts it 'human-being'.
Ashley Clark
He definitely pulled it out there at the end. I never really love books written by journalists. He is a bit self-conceited and self-important. However he does link the story to the bigger forces driving Kony. I wished he had just talked more about the bigger forces and added more evidence. Easy read and easy intro for those who know little about the conflict. Those who know more will be bored.
Michael Jecks
Mar 13, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The video about this guy is floating around now, but I read this some years ago. It's horrific to see how one man can pervert so many kids, persuade them to kill for him, and continue to rule. A vicious, cruel, brutal criminal who should have met his own specially targetted drone missile or SEALS bullet.

The book is a little like "Heart of Darkness", probably deliberately so. It's pretty compulsive reading, if only because of horror at the dreadful situation, but also because it's the sort of th
Brendon
Feb 18, 2016 Brendon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: joseph, kony, uganda
More of a traveloge.
Anne-marie Coonan
It's a good review of the LRA in Northern Uganda and it does go a bit deeper than some of the analysis of Kony as a mad man. BUT it's a little dull, the central quest of the book is one journalists quest to meet Kony and I don't care about the journalist enough by the end to see if he succeeds or not. The real story of the book is the Acholi living in Northern Uganda and the book would have been better based around that.
Nerissa
Between a madman talking to spirits and a liberator refusing to leave power it's no wonder that Uganda can't resolve it's civil war. Green is right in his conclusion that the media portrays the men as something they aren't. Both have dug a hole so deep they don't know how to get out of it. It's a shame such a beautiful country is been held hostage by 2 men unwilling to maintain peace.
Marsha
Jun 28, 2013 Marsha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, non-fiction
This wasn't a brilliant book, and it was hard to warm up to the author. But it did keep my interest, and I definitely learned a lot more about Joseph Kony, the LRA and the circumstances in northern Uganda that have spawned this war and keep it going. Nothing is simple.
Susu
Getting up close to the situation in northern Uganda - and why perhaps Museveni doesnt want to end it - how Sudan is involved - and how difficult it is to piece everything together. Very interesting read - including some eye-openers. ...more
Jim
Nov 20, 2010 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Despite the subject matter, which promised to be highly interesting and informative, I found this book strangely uncompelling. Africa is such a mess, and I’m interested as to why, but the answers aren’t really to be found in this book.
Niels Broerse
Sep 26, 2015 Niels Broerse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Na een aantal dagen twijfelen besloten toch het boek niet verder uit te lezen. Het boek is min of meer een dagboek, een groot reisverslag als het ware. Jammer, ik had hier veel van verwacht.
Alan
Dec 12, 2014 Alan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Author strikes me as more focused in writing about his experience than the more interesting characters he encounters in his pursuit of a press conference with Joseph Kony.
Richard Tait
Nov 28, 2012 Richard Tait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Loved this book. Very informative about a part of the world, and atrocities within, which are not well exposed in the UK (IMO).
Sam Beer
The tone was a little bit off-putting at times, but on the balance I thought that it was an interesting read for what it was.
Benjamin
May 29, 2012 Benjamin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most complete accounts of the origins and events surrounding Kony and the LRA, a very good read.
Alisa Wheeler
Fascinating story of one mans journey traveling around central Africa investigating the LRA and Joseph Kony.
Cat Mckaig
Apr 21, 2014 Cat Mckaig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this balanced view of Kony-- amidst the politics of Sudan and Uganda
Matt
Apr 22, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read When It comes to the conflict in Northern Uganda
Evgeni Veskov
Jan 07, 2012 Evgeni Veskov is currently reading it
Стила е скучен журналистически, разпокъсан, скучна за четене.
Pam Ela
I wonder why he had to meet Kony

Alissa
Dec 05, 2008 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read!
Candi Anderson
Candi Anderson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Lisa Benenati
Lisa Benenati marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Rk Wild
Rk Wild rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Deepa Nair
Deepa Nair marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • It's Our Turn to Eat
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • Napoleon in Egypt
  • First Kill Your Family: Child Soldiers of Uganda and the Lord's Resistance Army
  • Bamboo Palace: Discovering the Lost Dynasty of Laos
  • Plain Tales from the Raj
  • The Outline of History
  • Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer
  • Cambodia: Year Zero
  • Inside an Elusive Mind: Prabhakaran: The First Profile of the World's Most Ruthless Guerrilla Leader
  • The Boys on the Bus
  • White Heat: A History of Britain in the Swinging Sixties
Greetings! Welcome to my little corner of the world.

My name is Matthew Dicks. I am an author.

In the UK, I publish under the name Matthew Green.

In the spring of 2008, under the guidance of my remarkable agent, Taryn Fagerness, I sold my first novel, SOMETHING MISSING, to Broadway Books, an imprint of Doubleday. It published in July of 2009, thus making one of my childhood dreams come true.

In the f
More about Matthew Green...