Start by marking “Магьосникът от Нил” as Want to Read:
Магьосникът от Нил

Магьосникът от Нил

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Някъде в джунглите на Уганда. Там се крие един беглец - водач на бунтовници, който казва, че получавал своите заповеди направо от отвъдното, от духовния свят и заедно със своята дрипава армия от докарани до състояние на нечовешка жестокост деца-войници, оставя кървава диря от отчаяние и опустошение, пресичаща страната му. Днес Джоузеф Кони е обявен за официален враг на САЩ...more
Published 2008 by Вакон

To ask other readers questions about Магьосникът от Нил, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Магьосникът от Нил

Adam
I went to Uganda the last two summers to work with Invisible Children. This book is a great history of the 20 year civil war that has plagued northern Uganda. I really loved how the author, Matthew Green, explored the reasons behind the war being more than just a crazy man's dream to rule Uganda. It's a great read.
Valeria
I didn't buy this book, it was given to me by my university as part of the Big Read programme that's supposed to help us get into reading and interacting with the other students who've read the book. Firstly, this programme is so not for me : I'm already a bookworm and frankly this is not a book that would sparks conversation from me in the slightest. I feel a bit bad for not being able to finish it since it was nice of the university to send me a free copy but you can't help not liking a book....more
Chris Steeden
A riveting book by Matthew Green in his search to meet the northern Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony back in 2006 to ask him some big questions. The historical content, interviews (with ex-abductees), travelogue and dangerous situations make this a compelling read. You really do feel that you are on the journey with the author sharing the frustrations at finding this wizard or as Kony puts it 'human-being'.
Myke
This book was sent to me in the mail by my university and the letter accompanying it made sure to inform me that this book was written before the internet Kony 2012 phenomenon (why's that important? i'm not sure). While Joseph Kony is undoubtedly a rather vile individual, i fail to see how this differs from various other notorious African warlords/military leaders. This book and its contents would perhaps be more interesting to someone who lives under a rock and may potentially find the idea tha...more
Michael Jecks
The video about this guy is floating around now, but I read this some years ago. It's horrific to see how one man can pervert so many kids, persuade them to kill for him, and continue to rule. A vicious, cruel, brutal criminal who should have met his own specially targetted drone missile or SEALS bullet.

The book is a little like "Heart of Darkness", probably deliberately so. It's pretty compulsive reading, if only because of horror at the dreadful situation, but also because it's the sort of th...more
Anne-marie Coonan
It's a good review of the LRA in Northern Uganda and it does go a bit deeper than some of the analysis of Kony as a mad man. BUT it's a little dull, the central quest of the book is one journalists quest to meet Kony and I don't care about the journalist enough by the end to see if he succeeds or not. The real story of the book is the Acholi living in Northern Uganda and the book would have been better based around that.
Nerissa
Between a madman talking to spirits and a liberator refusing to leave power it's no wonder that Uganda can't resolve it's civil war. Green is right in his conclusion that the media portrays the men as something they aren't. Both have dug a hole so deep they don't know how to get out of it. It's a shame such a beautiful country is been held hostage by 2 men unwilling to maintain peace.
Marsha
This wasn't a brilliant book, and it was hard to warm up to the author. But it did keep my interest, and I definitely learned a lot more about Joseph Kony, the LRA and the circumstances in northern Uganda that have spawned this war and keep it going. Nothing is simple.
Susu
Getting up close to the situation in northern Uganda - and why perhaps Museveni doesn´t want to end it - how Sudan is involved - and how difficult it is to piece everything together. Very interesting read - including some eye-openers.
Jim
Despite the subject matter, which promised to be highly interesting and informative, I found this book strangely uncompelling. Africa is such a mess, and I’m interested as to why, but the answers aren’t really to be found in this book.
Jessica
Loved this book - read it while travelling in Uganda, and, coincidentally, just when the Kony 2012 documentary was released. This book offers an unbiased and interesting investigation into Uganda's history and Joseph Kony.
Richard Tait

Loved this book. Very informative about a part of the world, and atrocities within, which are not well exposed in the UK (IMO).
Sam Beer
The tone was a little bit off-putting at times, but on the balance I thought that it was an interesting read for what it was.
Benjamin
May 29, 2012 Benjamin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most complete accounts of the origins and events surrounding Kony and the LRA, a very good read.
Alisa Wheeler
Fascinating story of one mans journey traveling around central Africa investigating the LRA and Joseph Kony.
Cat Mckaig
Really enjoyed this balanced view of Kony-- amidst the politics of Sudan and Uganda
Matt
A Must Read When It comes to the conflict in Northern Uganda
Evgeni Veskov
Jan 07, 2012 Evgeni Veskov is currently reading it
Стила е скучен журналистически, разпокъсан, скучна за четене.
Pam Ela
I wonder why he had to meet Kony

Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Anna Bredin
Anna Bredin marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Soha Usmani
Soha Usmani marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Mahad
Mahad marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Dilyana
Dilyana is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Greetings! Welcome to my little corner of the world.

My name is Matthew Dicks. I am an author.

In the UK, I publish under the name Matthew Green.

In the spring of 2008, under the guidance of my remarkable agent, Taryn Fagerness, I sold my first novel, SOMETHING MISSING, to Broadway Books, an imprint of Doubleday. It published in July of 2009, thus making one of my childhood dreams come true.

In the f...more
More about Matthew Green...
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend The Wizard Of The Nile Spells: Spellcraft to Bring Magic to Your Life and Reality to Your Desires Fish Hooks and Totem Poles (Tom's Adventures in Alaska) The Bear Claw (Tom's Adventures in Alaska)