Start by marking “The Sound of Red Returning (Red Returning Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Red Returning (Red Returning Trilogy #1)

The Sound of Red Returning (Red Returning Trilogy #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After losing everyone she loves, concert pianist Liesl Bower has nowhere to go but to escape into her music. Searching for the peace she usually finds in her concertos and sonatas, Liesl can't shake the feeling that she is being haunted by her past . . . and by someone following her. When she spots a familiar and eerie face in the audience of a concert she's giving for the ...more
Published 2012 by Kregel Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Red Returning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Red Returning

Wendy Hines
Liesl Bower is a renowned concert pianist. She's thrown her soul into her music to escape her personal life. She's lost everyone she loves, including the professor who was attacked in a dark alley. During a concert for the President, she feels eyes bearing down on her. Lifting her own to scan the audience, she is startled and fearful to see the same face she saw in the alley that dark night.
When the belated professor's wife dies, they scavenge the house but don't find what they are seeking. Now,
Molly
Feb 10, 2012 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
Recommended to Molly by: LitFuse
Sue Duffy has brought her readers a novel that is not only the start to a sure-to-be fantastic new series, but a novel that will move you completely and wholly, following the characters lives as if they were your own. The intense complexity that Ms. Duffy uses to create both the plot line and Lisle's character is truly stunning. This book is a twist of emotional ups, downs and messages that will leave the reader reflecting on this book for a long time to come.

Liesl Bower is not your everyday per
Katie
First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

If I gave half stars, this one would get a 3 1/2 stars. The Sound of Red Returning takes on a very interesting angle to the war--15 years after it ended. Liesl’s harrowing adventures come back to haunt her when she suddenly becomes a target of former KGB agents and the CIA. Pretty cool opening to this story, isn’t it?

Liesl seemed a bit extreme at times, but besides that, she was a likeable character that is sure to intrigue the readers. I liked Cade ri
Hattie Norman

Russia, Israel and the United States are countries involved in an intricate, fast paced espionage dance. With President Noland in the White House, the CIA, the FBI and other spies there is a dance of death going on to find a missing document which will show the name of a mole. I came to know very well a famous Classical pianist named Liesl Bower. Liesl Bower lives in Georgetown. She grew up in Charleston, South Carolina. Music is a huge part of this novel. One night Liesl witnesses the horrific
Victor Gentile
Sue Duffy in her new book “The Sound of Red Returning” Book One in the Red Returning Trilogy series published by Kregel Publications gives us a contemporary thriller
About the book:
After losing everyone she loves, concert pianist Liesl Bower has nowhere to go but to escape into her music. Searching for the peace she usually finds in her concertos and sonatas, Liesl can’t shake the feeling that she is being haunted by her past . . . and by someone following her. When she spots a familiar and eerie
Title: THE SOUND OF RED RETURNING
Author: Sue Duffy
Publisher: Kregel
December 2011
ISBN: 978-0825425745
Genre: Inspirational/suspense

Liesl Bower is an accomplish pianist, playing for audiences around the world. She is no stranger to the White House or for playing for presidents—but she is unaccustomed to finding scary, scowling faces in the audience. The face of a man she’d seen threatening her music mentor fifteen years earlier, shortly before he was murdered.

Now, it seems as if something has happ
Maureen Timerman
Once you open this book it will grab your immediate attention. The story revolves around Lisle Bower, and her refuge of music, she is a classically trained pianist.
The Red Returning is Mother Russia...or the corrupt people who want control. Poor Lisle it seems anyone she cares about or befriends seems to have a problem, or end up dead. This page turner is so filled with action and surprises. You will think you have everything figured out...but you don't!
You will meet other wonderful characters
Kaylea
A concert pianist, Lisel Bower uses her music as an escape - but what happens when the very music, she loves, becomes part of a nightmare?

Since her mentor was killed as a result of his espionage efforts for the KGB, Bower has felt like someone has been watching her. It's only after her life is threatened that she find out that she has a piece of music - which contains a secret coded message "outing" a Russian mole in the Israel's Department of Defense.

Through a variety of twists and turns - some
Kianna Rose
Sue Duffy is a phenomenal author. I made a sundry of predictions, but some how Sue managed to twist the plot. I enjoyed the pace of the mystery and was delightfully surprised at the turn of events toward the end of the book. I felt like a detective trying to piece together parts of Liesl's life, Devoe's treachery and many other dangerous events.

The only fault I find with this book is the romance. Sue began the romance too late in the book, forcing her to speed it up towards to end. This made sev
Hannah
Upon reading the announcement about this blog tour, I was excited! It sounded as though it would be including many aspects that I love to read - historical fiction, mystery, suspense, and piano which I've played for about 15 years now. The cover is absolutely gorgeous. They chose a woman with striking features to put on it and she really makes an impression. However, from the first page I was confused. I figured that a lot of books start out confusing, but can definitely get better once more inf ...more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Liesl Bower is now the center of attention. Not that she didn't want this attention but those that are looking for her want something more than her ability to play the piano as a prodigy! She learns she has been given a gift by her beloved mentor, Schell Devoe, a prominent Harvard music professor who was murdered in his own home. What he gave Liesl was some sheets of music, in which she didn't think anything about it, until unexpected people began following her.

She later learns that Schell Devoe
Tammi
If you grew-up during the 60’s. 70’s or the 80’s then you, like me remember the cold war. I can remember the fear of nuclear weapons being sent across the sea, and I also remember when the Berlin Wall fell and the end the of the threat of the cold war.

The Sound of Red Returning brings the suspense of the cold war to the forefront of my mind. The CIA and KGB are still trying to keep and retrieve national secrets in order to maintain security, and the world I grew-up in still exists.

I enjoyed this
Andrew
I greatly enjoy The Sound of Red Returning. This is the first book in the Red Returning series. She has written a book about a famous pianist, Liesl Bower. Liesl is being hunted down by a Russian spy who is trying to kill her. I would recommend this wonderful novel to teenagers and adults. Anyone who loves a great mystery will really enjoy trying to solve this one. Readers will enjoy trying to figure out the mole's hidden identity. I couldn't even figure out who the mole was until the very end. ...more
Melanie
Review on my blog: http://christianbookshelfreviews.blog...

When Liesl Bower was 10 years old, she used to hide from her father in the bell tower of a church - wishing him never to find her. Then Professor Devoe, the man who was sort of a father figure to her, turned out to be a Russian spy and was murdered!

Now, fifteen years later, someone seems to think Liesl has the final coded message Devoe was never able to pass on. Trying to stay alive, Liesl must find the message before it's too late.

The S
Valentina
This was an interesting book, with lots of action and intrigue mixed in with a nice love story that was quite different from what I’d expected.
The main character, Liesl, is the best part about this book. She commands the scenes she’s in, which, as the protagonist, is exactly what we are looking for. She is three-dimensional, with a all the flaws a real person has, making her stand out among the rest of the characters. Ian and Cade are also well done, although not as masterfully as Liesl. The res
Krystal
Liesl is a concert pianist and the main character in this book. Liesl has lost so much in her short life, from family to friends. Liesl's life is already complicated, the reader may believe that it cannot get much worse...but the reader would be wrong. It is believed by Russian and American intelligence that Liesl contains a coded message that could invigorate Soviet power and bring that power back.

Liesl runs from the danger as any sane person would. She isn't only running from the Soviets, but
Vera Godley
A couple of months ago I had the opportunity to review Red Dawn Rising which is book two in the Red Returning Triology. It was such a good read, I wanted to read and review book one in the series, Sound of Red Returning. I was not a bit disappointed! Although I knew from book two that book one was going to come out alright, it was still a good adventure.

Our heroine, Liesl Bower, is a gifted concert pianist who has studied with the famous and who has given concerts on the stages across the globe.
Elle
It’s no wonder the Romantic Times gave the Sound of Red Returning 4 Stars. As Book 1 in the Red Returning Series Sue Duffy knows how to capture an audience and take them on a gripping journey full of suspense and mystery.

15 years ago child prodigy and famous pianist Liesel Bower watched as her mentor was gunned down and word got out that he had been a Russian Spy. After being thrust into CIA interrogations for what she may have known Liesel thought that maybe it was all over. But now after fifte
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
As a child of the 60's and 70's and a teenager in the early 80s, I grew up very much aware of the Cold War. Russia was the enemy and spies were real. As a young adult, I began working for a government laboratory in the late 80s, where we had security clearances, badges and guard gates. One poster that I remember being on the wall of our copy room showed the earth with a satellite orbiting it and two red lines. One went from Russia to the satellite and from the satellite to our location and cauti ...more
Lisa Johnson
Title: The Sound of Red Returning (Red Returning #1)
Author: Sue Duffy
Pages: 290
Year: 2012
Publisher: Kregel
The Sound of Red Returning is the first book in a new trilogy by Sue Duffy. It is set largely in Charleston, South Carolina, with a few other venues used in the story. The second book in the trilogy, Red Dawn Rising was released about two months ago and will be reviewed here in the next few days.
Liesl Bower has had a childhood filled with loss. First, her favorite aunt and one she is very
The Loopy Librarian
If you're in the mood for a good Christian romantic suspense, this book fits the bill. The characters are well-developed, the political intrigue is well-played, and the romance is well-crafted. All of the characters had baggage and flaws. They were also at different places spiritually. Most readers would be able to relate to at least one of the characters. The political drama seemed believable although I did guess the answer to several of the mysteries well before they were revealed. Since this ...more
Amber

This book will grab your attention right from the beginning. Pianist Liesel Bower finds herself in some kind of trouble. She is being followed, the CIA are involved and the Russians. Are you read to sit up and pay attention. Spies, Killers, romance this book has some characters. This mystery is a great read for both young adult and adult. The story flows nicely and is full of suspense. You grip your seat as you try to solve the mystery who is the mole? Who is hunting Liesel? Sue Duffy did a grea
John Hanscom
Maybe a little less, but an interesting novel, simultaneously:

1. A political thriller, with the fate of the world in the hands of a few people (a conceit, of course, but one commonly used)

2. A standard romance novel

3. A book that wrestles, unsuccessfully, with theodicy. The author starts out with "Why do bad things happen to good people," and ends up with "God is in control." Well, of course, but that does not answer the question, and, pastorally, is of no use to those experiencing difficulty.

N
Kate
"The Sound of Red Returning" by Sue Duffy offers something for everyone. Musicians will immediately identify with the main character's passion for her music and appreciate the concept of passing secret messages through sheet music. Mystery fans are sure to love the political intrigue, plot twists and fast-paced action. Suspense surrounds one particular character who lurks in the background, unidentified until the last chapters. Those who like a little romance will enjoy watching the candid inter ...more
Kate
I’m always up for a good spy novel and the cover of this one reminded me of a Nancy Drew book I read a long time ago, so I decided to sign up for the tour. Aside from it’s pretty cover and clever title, there’s not much in The Sound of Red Returning that I loved. The story starts off very slowly and it took me a while to get into it. Even then I wasn’t so engrossed that I felt a need to rush to the conclusion.

Continue reading this review here: http://parchmentgirl.com/book-reviews...
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
This was a very intriguing and interesting book. It pulled me right in from the beginning. Liesel was a character that you care about right from the beginning. The love story is not mushy or overly done. There is lots of action to keep you on the edge of your seat. This was the first book I have read of Sue Duffy, but it won't be my last! I highly recommend it!
Janelle Cole
Great story, lots of action, suspense and some romance sprinkled in too. I loved Sue Duffy's characters - I was sad to finish this book and am looking forward to reading the next one.

Note : I was provided a free copy in exchange for an honest review. {www.usmajcole.blogspot.com}
Aerykah
I really enjoyed this book! Once I got a few chapters into it, I didn't want to put it down!
Barbara
Tried but just didn't get into it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Refuge on Crescent Hill
  • The Soul Saver
  • Serpent of Moses
  • Proof (Bloodline Trilogy, #1)
  • Chameleon
  • The Thirteenth Demon, Altar of the Spiral Eye
  • Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • The Survivor (Crime Scene: Houston, #2)
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • Unbreakable (Road to Kingdom, #2)
  • Chasing the Wind
  • Rare Earth
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Severed Trust (Men of the Texas Rangers, #4)
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • Brink of Chaos (The End Series #3)
  • Scraps of Evidence

Red Returning Trilogy (3 books)
  • Red Dawn Rising (Red Returning Trilogy #2)
  • Deeper Than Red (Red Returning Trilogy #3)
Fatal Loyalty Red Dawn Rising (Red Returning Trilogy #2) Deeper Than Red (Red Returning Trilogy #3) Mortal Wounds Sonate in G rood