Start by marking “My First Suicide” as Want to Read:
My First Suicide

My First Suicide

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  321 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Neither strictly a collection of stories nor a novel, the ten short stories that comprise My First Suicide straddle the line between intimate revelation and drunken confession. These stories reveal a nostalgic and poetic Pilch, one who can pen a character’s lyrical ode to the fate of his father’s perfect chess table in one story, examine a teacher’s desperate and dangerous ...more
Published May 15th 2012 by Open Letter Books (first published January 2006)

To ask other readers questions about My First Suicide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My First Suicide

Travelling Sunny
May 07, 2012 Travelling Sunny rated it it was ok
Jerzy Pilch is either incredibly brilliant or incredibly disturbed. I'm leaning towards brilliant. Although I've rated it only two stars based on my personal reaction, I believe this will rate four or five stars in the hands of the right reader - probably a male.

Ten chapters in the book, each telling a different snippet of the man's life story. Which man? The author or the character? It's not clear, which is certainly a mark in favor of his storytelling ability. It took four or five chapters bef
Brandon Prak
Dec 18, 2013 Brandon Prak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My First Suicide tells the story of Jerzy Pilch, a lonely meat shop worker who is near his breaking point. The book is set in New York during the late 1800's, when he barely just began his journey for love. Hoping to end his loneliness and find love, Jerzy Pilch must search for the right women that would satisfy his interests. Jerzy Pilch does everything he could to find the right girl searching far and wide, going on random blind dates, and even asking random women he thought were right. The bo ...more
Karin
Aug 28, 2012 Karin rated it liked it
DAMN IT, GOODREADS. YOU DONE ATE MY REVIEW.

I'll just repeat, in much condensed form: see Sunny -- she said it first and best -- and I'm pretty sure there are two occurrences of the discrete/discreet homophone error, which makes me want to write a letter to David Frick and see if he has some kind of literary Polish justification for it, as I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here (and it really just happens to be a bugaboo of mine).

Otherwise, very different from what I remember of H
Full Stop

Review by Tyler Malone

“I am composing short stories now. A collection of short stories of a different sort,” says the narrator of Polish writer Jerzy Pilch’s recently translated My First Suicide, his third book to be published in English by Open Letter Books. The beautiful woman to whom he is speaking taunts him with the following question: “A novel is less than a novel, but a volume of short stories is more than a volume of short stories?”

Like The Streets
Marek Pawlowski
Jun 15, 2014 Marek Pawlowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jest to moja pierwsza styczność z Pilchem i jestem mile zaskoczony. Niektórzy krytycy porównują jego styl do Hrabala i muszę przyznać, ze wyczuwa się pewne podobieństwo, choć Pilch w tym zestawieniu jest bardziej wulgarny. Prosty, dosadny język ociekający sarkazmem i cynizmem w stosunku do siebie, jako narratora i całego świata wokół daje mieszankę wielu błyskotliwych przemyśleń. Pilch z tego, co widzę ma pewną dziwną tendencje do nazw własnych, które często wręcz rytmicznie wybijane są co jakiś ...more
Vincent
Aug 29, 2012 Vincent rated it liked it
At times brilliant but also frustrating, Pilch remains an interesting writer though not every moment of this one added up to much. Still liked it, but I found myself wondering why.
EpidermaS
Mar 27, 2016 EpidermaS rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: antologie
A mnie się wydaje, że ironia, którą wszyscy w tej książce widzą, że ten cały dystans, to niezła przykrywka jest. Pan się grodzi, Panie autorze. Pan się osłania. Pan się w tym całym pancerzyku sarkazmu chowa przed czymś, czego zidentyfikować nie jestem w stanie.

Jest w Pilchu jakiś niepokój, jakieś rozedrganie, jakaś tęsknota za tym, co już było, a jednocześnie pogodzenie z faktem, że nigdy nie powróci. Narrator we wszystkich chyba opowiadaniach CZEGOŚ poszukuje, ale ciężko jednoznacznie zdefinio
Agnieszka Czoska
"Krytyka życia nie musi być pochwałą śmierci. Ale obrona życia musi być pochwałą rozpaczy." ("Rękopisy człowieka z moich stron")

Realizm magiczny, czasem odchudzony ironią, ale raczej dogłębny. Stąd wzięło się wiele demonów...
Zuza Sobecka
Jul 04, 2015 Zuza Sobecka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Several chapters are incredible, I fell in love, but they are followed by few very boring and complicated chapters, which I'd throw away.
Chad Post
Jul 20, 2015 Chad Post rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I am the publisher of the book and thus spent approximately two years reading and editing and working on it. So take my review with a grain of salt, or the understanding that I am deeply invested in this text and know it quite well. Also, I would really appreciate it if you would purchase this book, since it would benefit Open Letter directly.

This is a brilliant novel-in-stories that will definitely satisfy fans of Pilch's other works. Funny, touching, occasionally, and always stylis
Tony
Aug 21, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it

This quirky little gem is part of an exciting series of translated literature from Open Letter at the University of Rochester. Brimming with dark humor and nostalgia, eroticism and innocence, these ten short connected pieces coalesce into a literary whole that is almost as unexpected as it is pleasurable. Last piece was not my favorite otherwise pretty close to five stars.
Daniel
Jan 05, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
I remember that this book made me laugh, and, unfortunately, little more than that. Inchoate as they may be, my memories of this book are largely positive.
Will
Aug 18, 2012 Will rated it really liked it
Recommended to Will by: Chad Post
At turns funny, poignant, but always entertaining, it felt like I was sitting in a Warsaw cafe with Pilch while he was drinking and telling stories about his life, his loves, his losses, his desires, his routines, his habits...I loved it, and highly recommend it.
Nora
Aug 05, 2013 Nora rated it really liked it
It's a collection but all linked. Not exactly stories either. More like recounting in a stream of consciousness. a brilliantly dry sense of humour shines through. Who would think Lutherism was so funny
Ellie
Jul 05, 2012 Ellie rated it liked it
Found this to be quite interesting. Good writing style and it had me turning pages for hours. Got this as an ARC
Zuzx G
Nov 13, 2012 Zuzx G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tytułowe opowiadanie to majstersztyk.
Ula
Jul 09, 2012 Ula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Nic - rude niebo nad Czantorią.'
Ilona Góra
Jan 09, 2014 Ilona Góra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beloved one.
Kasia
Kasia rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Jo
Jo added it
Jun 07, 2016
Leena  Luthor
Leena Luthor marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Niedziela.Napalmowa
Niedziela.Napalmowa rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Dominika
Dominika is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Karolina
Karolina rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Karo
Karo marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Kaltien
Kaltien marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
  • Boso, ale w ostrogach
  • Panny z Wilka
  • The Faithful River
  • Tales of Galicia
Jerzy Pilch is one of the most important contemporary Polish writers and journalists.

Critics have compared Pilch's style to Witold Gombrowicz, Milan Kundera, or Bohumil Hrabal.
More about Jerzy Pilch...