Start by marking “Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn (Guinevere, #3)” as Want to Read:
Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn (Guinevere, #3)

Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn (Guinevere #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  592 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Surrounded by traitors, trapped by destiny, Britain's spirited Queen Guinevere recounts the last, dramatic years of Camelot. At King Arthur's side, she reigned over the fabled heroes of the Round Table as her heartbreaking honesty, courage, and integrity were challenged by those she loved most. Torn between duty and desire as he rescued his Queen, condemned to the stake fo ...more
Published by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Guinevere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guinevere

Elaine
Apr 27, 2008 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woolley's trilogy is almost unknown in the U.S., which is a pity. These are sweeping, engrossing tellings of the Arthurian legend from the perspective of Guinevere. Ignore the "bodice-ripper" covers - that's how they appeared in the U.S. The British editions (Woolley is British) are gorgeous. These are books I never lend - for fear they won't come back and I'll never find them again.
Katerina
Heather Book Savvy Babe
Giving a new viewpoint to the Arthur legend, Persia Woolley creates an enchanting and believable tale. Guinevere, The Legend In Autumn is told from Guinevere's perspective. I did not get to read the first two books in the trilogy, but I am familiar with the Arthur legend, and I was able to follow along quite well. The story in this last installment of the trilogy details the Arthur legend, it describes the search for the Holy Grail and how Guinevere comes to be tried for treason. All the basic e ...more
Nikki
The third book of the trilogy is just as compelling as the other two. I'm surprised now that I was so ambivalent about the first book, considering how wholly it won me over. I like what Persia Woolley did with all the disparate threads of the Arthurian mythos, weaving them together ably -- the grail quest, in particular, was quite nicely resolved: instead of picking a side and choosing one religion over another, she represented a lot of possible interpretations in one. I liked what she did with ...more
Jan 13, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Persia Woolley’s Guinevere trilogy is a fascinating look into the Arthurian legend through the eyes of his (vastly misunderstood) queen, Guinevere. In the third and final novel in the trilogy, Guinevere, The Legend in Autumn, Guinevere is waiting for her execution by burning at the stake. As her final evening stretches out before her, Guinevere reminisces with a knight of the round table, Gareth, about the last years of her rein with King Arthur.

Those final years were mostly good for Guinevere a
Kristen
Final in the Guinevere trilogy by Persia Woolley. An awesome retelling of Arthurian legend, made out to be historical fiction rather than fantasy. I like it best that way, because it makes it seem like Arthur could have really existed.
Lisa Jensen
Jan 04, 2014 Lisa Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final chapter in Persia Woolley's intriguing trilogy about King Arthur's queen arouses mixed feelings. We look forward to spending more time with characters the author has drawn with such lively precision, but can't help dreading the inevitable sad conclusion of their story.

Fortunately, Woolley's spirit and humor do not fail her—even though this installment includes the long-awaited resolution of "Gwen's" fated romance with Lancelot; the couple has loved openly for years while remaining phy
Molly Murphy
So sad to see this wonderful trilogy come to an end. It was amazing to see all the events of the Round Table through the eyes of the strong, lovely Queen Guinevere. Sadly, it was also the book where many died. I mourned the loss of my favorite, Sir Gawain, the blazing fire who kept the knights of Camelot alive with passion. And Mordred, whom I grew to adore, but who became the traitor son of Arthur. And Lancelot... how I'll miss you, dashing knight. Sad but well-written and engaging. I will prob ...more
Mary Jane
Mar 07, 2015 Mary Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, kindle-edition
Well Done

I really enjoyed this series. My only complaint about this specific book was that it seemed that it took longer that it should have, it kind of dragged a bit in the middle. There could have been a bit more advancement in the story (and been a bit shorter) without detracting from the depth of the story. Overall, the series was very well done with a great feel of what life would have been like during that time. The slowdown in the middle of this one would take my rating down half a star t
Sabrina
Mar 22, 2014 Sabrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give it four stars for the beautiful epilogue, but I felt like many parts of the legend were rushed. Instead of seeing how devoted Lance and Gwen were to each other, we were told. Arthur was mostly a clod, except for the end, which is part of his tragedy. I wanted more emotional development of the Arthur/Gwen/Lancelot triangle. Tristan and Islode have been relegated to something of a footnote here, whereas their relationship played a larger role in the previous books. The villains, too, were l ...more
Melani
Feb 09, 2013 Melani rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arthurian
This was hard to finish. Mostly because of the horrible bitter end I knew was coming, but also because I just don't CARE about Guinevere and Lancelot's twu luv. I just don't, I never have. I'm far more interested in Guinevere and Arthur's relationship, the love and care there and how they stayed together and worked as partners than I am in any true destined love. And these books failed to make me care. And since this last book was mostly about how Lancelot and Guinevere finally got together, ami ...more
Catherine Thompson
In this, the final volume of Persia Woolley's Guinevere trilogy, we see the fall of Camelot through Guinevere's eyes. As it opens, Guinevere is waiting to be taken to the stake at dawn, to be burned for treason. As she sits wakeful through the night with only her lady-in-waiting Enid and young Companion Gareth for company, she reflects on what has brought her to this pass, to be unjustly accused of such crimes.

Of course, anyone familiar with the legends knows that Lancelot will rescue her, but i
April
GUINEVERE,THE LEGEND IN AUTUMN(THE GUINEVERE TRILOGY)by Persia Woolley is a historical fiction set during King Arthur's Round Table(Arthurian age..Book 3 in "The Guinevere Trilogy",but can be read as a stand alone. See "Child of the Nortern Spring" and "Queen of the Summer Stars". This is a wonderful conclusion to Queen Guinevere's Trilogy. It is surrounded with traitors,destiny,fate,danger,pageantry,romantic adventure,enemy,betrayal,courage,integrity,love and a Quest for the Holy Grail. With ch ...more
C.S. Donnell
Feb 07, 2016 C.S. Donnell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves historical or fantasy fiction
Recommended to C.S. by: I saw her page on Facebook
I love Arthurian legend stories, especially Woolley's. She presents Guinevere's story from a different point of view that most. A more human point of view. Her knowledge of the historical regions helped bring the story to life as well. I enjoyed the whole series and will read it again (and again) when I find time from all my writing projects I have to catch up on.
Christina
It was okay. If I could give 2 and a half stars I would. I liked the perspective it gave to the Arthurian legends we know and love but there were too many random details for me to love it. Things like then we went here and had dinner, now to this random town to tour it...... If it had less of that and more meaningful action and thoughts it would have been better.
Christine
Oh, how I have loved this sweeping and absorbing series! Everything we have grown to love in the Arthurian legends is covered in this series. In The Legend in Autumn we see the connection between Guinevere and Lancelot blossom, Gareth and Perceval’s arrival at Camelot, Mordred’s rebellion with Agravain and Gaheris, and eventually the sad end to Camelot.

I cannot sing the praises of this series loud enough. If you love the Arthurian legends, I strongly urge you to pick up these books; you will mos
Lindsay Tritabaugh
I read this book for my 12th grade English class and have since then re-read it numerous times! I searched high and low to find the hardcover edition and finally found it on Amazon all with the two others in the series. I am not usually one for "fantasy" fiction, so I was skeptical when this was assigned. But there is nothing of that nature in this story or the other two. A few references here and there, but nothing outright.

Guinevere is the story of Guinevere's time as Queen in her later years
SarahC
Oct 01, 2008 SarahC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthurian
Charlene Gordon
Aug 16, 2014 Charlene Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting view of the King Arthur legend. Read this when it first came out.
Susan
Mar 02, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy was a nice diversion. However, the third book lost some of the momemtum.
Doris Raines
This. Is. A. Brilliant. Book.
Ellen Kucharik
Jul 27, 2015 Ellen Kucharik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the whole series
Monica
Jul 16, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book completely absorbing and by the last third I couldn't put it down. The last chapters of the book were terribly sad and one couldn't help hoping that the end of the Arthurian legend could be different.

It was very interesting to read about the Quest for the Holy Grail and how each knight approached his quest differently.

I admit I was rather sad at the end and even shed a tear or two. But it was definitely a book well worth reading.
Alyssa Allen
The third book in the series. It kind of lost it's magic to me. Author took on a different story-telling technique than the other two and it wasn't my favorite. I wish she would have stuck with her conventional way of telling things. Would have made it more unpredictable to not know where the story was going- I like that. Guinevere and Lancelot affair in this book made me sad at the end.
Christine Gibbons
I have always loved reading stories about King Arthur and this trilogy is another great story. It is written from the point of view of Guinevere and she sure isn't a pansy in this series! I am still reading the 3rd book and look forward to seeing how this interpretation ends.
Kelly
I really like this series. I like that Guenevere tells the story and that we learn about the King Arthur legend through her. I like that there is less mysticism/supernatural elements. Guenevere's voice in this series is fresh, natural, humorous at times.
Nicole Diamond
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Patricia
Sep 30, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Guinevere trilogy...vividly real settings and characters; pageantry, courage, integrity, and betrayal. Beautifully written, this series is a wonderful retelling of Arthur, Guinevere and the Companions of the Round Table.
California
Aug 14, 2013 California rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe the author only wrote this trilogy! A very well done take on the authurian legend, from the pont of view of the one character that is usually treated as a floozy.
Heather
Apr 27, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just wish I hadn't waited so long between books to read this one. This is the third book in a trilogy about Guinevere and King Authur told from Guinever's point of view.
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • High Queen
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • Percival's Angel (Merlin's Harp, #3)
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • The Hawk's Gray Feather (The Tales of Arthur, #1)

Guinevere (3 books)
  • Child of the Northern Spring (Guinevere, #1)
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)