Start by marking “The Thrill of the Chase: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Thrill of the Chase: A Memoir

The Thrill of the Chase: A Memoir

This book is the remarkable true story of Forrest Fenn's life and of a hidden treasure, secreted somewhere in the mountains north of Santa Fe. The book contains clues to the treasure's location as Forrest Fenn invites readers to join in "The Thrill of the Chase".
Published January 1st 2010 by One Horse Land & Cattle Ltd Co

Katey
Feb 27, 2013 Katey rated it did not like it
I had hoped this book would tell about how the treasure was accumulated and why it was hidden, but that only takes up one small chapter of the book. The argument can be made that the rest of the story helped with that telling but not enough for my liking.

This just seems like a pretty normal ordinary guy who wrote his autobiography and has set someone up for future wealth if they're lucky enough to crack his code.
Ricky
Aug 23, 2012 Ricky rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about his life. He has a great way of writing in the simplist form. That and the book is filled with clues on where he hid the 2 million dollar treasure chest.
Nancy Zorn
Sep 27, 2015 Nancy Zorn rated it liked it
I probably would never have read this book if it hadn't been for the enticing buried treasure. I had a friend who was acquainted with Forrest Fenn and didn't hold him in high regard. I never learned why except that it had something to do with Fenn's collecting of antiquities and his lack of regard for sites held sacred by Native American Indians. All that aside, the book is very plainly and simply written. I enjoyed the stories. Living in Hawaii, however, I'm just not motivated to spend time and ...more
Jamie Lano
Dec 11, 2015 Jamie Lano rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I bought this book, like many others, because I wanted to see the extra clues that are supposed to be sprinkled in the text. I saw a few things that might be relevant, but overall, I came away with the impression that you don't need to buy the book to solve the riddle and find the treasure.

That said, it is a very large and heavy hardback book with glossy, sepia-toned pages. It is easy reading, as the book isn't very long and is written in a casual, colloquial style. Regardless of whether I ever
El Bothi
Jul 12, 2013 El Bothi rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
A fun and quick little read. I enjoyed looking at his pictures and absorbing some of his sentiments about life. FYI I'm totally going to find his treasure.... ;)
Darren Hosch
Dec 08, 2014 Darren Hosch rated it liked it
Not a bad book. Not really an ace. Now begins the thrill of the chase.
Wendy Bradshaw
Mar 24, 2013 Wendy Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
I read this book because I was interested in Forrest Fenn's hidden treasure. He has a unique writing style, with an old timer's humor and wit, not to mention he's a marketing genius.
Noel Gordon
Mar 17, 2017 Noel Gordon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I give very few books five stars. I gave The Odyssey five stars, I gave Hearts of Darkness five stars. This is neither, it is not even close. So why the stars?

This book and the author has occupied my mind daily for years.

It is not the treasure alone that captivates me, nor the writing style, nor the entertainment value. It is the immense complexity of seeing outside the box when reading a relativity simple story. It is the depth of thought required to find the aberrations within and separate th
Holly
May 27, 2015 Holly rated it it was ok
Forrest Fenn, if his memoir is any indication, is the kind of person that you cannot not enjoy if you meet him. He has an easy-spoken candor that has clearly served him well from his adventurous boyhood to his time served in the military to his life as a father and businessman. I would absolutely love to sit down with him at his gallery or around a campfire and just listen to him talk about his life.

The stories in this book are largely great stories, but they are told poorly and without the aid
Cash
May 30, 2015 Cash rated it liked it
Forrest Fenn is a natural storyteller. This sparse memoir is a loose collection of snapshots from throughout the author's life told in a relaxed conversational style. At times, the prose style is so relaxed and conversational that the inattentive reader will experience apparent skips in the narrative. Backtracking a sentence or two will often clear up any misunderstanding. Still, this book is an entertaining read that offers a glimpse into the life and philosophy of a self made veteran, adventur ...more
Tbob3att.Net
Mar 13, 2016 Tbob3att.Net rated it really liked it
not a book club book
Janet
May 14, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it
Interesting story. Second 'treasure' story I have read this week. But this one is real. Sure would be fun to find it.
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2017
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Sum Gal
Sum Gal rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Daniel Andrews
Daniel Andrews rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2014
Lester Cockram
Lester Cockram rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Shirley Stahl
Shirley Stahl rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Destinee Winter
Destinee Winter rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Jesse Murray
Jesse Murray rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Michael Elliott
Michael Elliott rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Angie Hulse
Angie Hulse rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2017
Dustin Kuhlman
Dustin Kuhlman rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Adam Rodgers
Adam Rodgers rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
  • Great Myths of the Brain
  • Serpent of the Nile: Women and Dance in the Arab World
  • Voices of the First Day: Awakening in the Aboriginal Dreamtime
  • Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, Vol 1
  • True Tales from Another Mexico: The Lynch Mob, the Popsicle Kings, Chalino, and the Bronx
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq