A Quiet Place

A Quiet Place

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"Sometimes a person needs a quiet place."
A place that's far away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life -- a place that isn't ringing or talking or roaring or blaring or playing. But sometimes that place isn't easy to find.
You could look under a bush in your own backyard, where the world seems far away...and you could be a pirate on a desert island.
Or you could...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Quiet Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Quiet Place

Janet
A great book talking about finding a quiet place and when you do one can imagine many things. or perhaps you can visit a library "where the only people talking str between the covers of books. They speak so softly you can only hear them in your head. . ." love these lines! A book discussing imagination, going to a library, as well as finding the peaceful place within. Adults will enjoy this along with school age children in the early grades. Definately not a preschool picture book.
Katie W
Sometimes we need a quiet place for rest, reflection, restoration, imagination, fun, exploration, etc. This book is filled with wonder and ideas and gorgeous illustrations.
Kelly
The illustrations are great! It had a dash of academic elitism and the ending, although kind of nice, made us all cringe.
Megan Coloutti
A red-cheeked, blond city-dweller, who with hands clamped tightly over his ears, yearns for respite from `whistles shrieking and grown-ups talking and engines roar and ... grown-ups talk....' In prose saturated with simile and metaphor, Wood suggests numerous subdued spots for solitude from ponds and deserts to caverns and museums and then interjects the boy's fantasies into the mix. Using figurative language techniques like simile, personification, and sensory images, the writer will develop a...more
Naomi
Sometimes we do need quiet places...for our imaginations to thrive. That's what Douglas Wood delivers. This is another standard for the Unitarian Universalist bookshelf and for families who love stories about nurturing imagination.

Dan Andreason's illustrations are soft and invite those quiet imaginings. They also pay homage to the illustrations of N.C.Wyeth at points, particularly where the imaginings connect to Wyeth-illustrated classics, like Robert Louis Stevenson's _Treasure Island_. Visuall...more
Marcy
This book reminded me of the book Something Beautiful. In this book, instead of looking for something beautiful in his life, the little boy is looking for his own quiet place to escape from the world. He goes through all of these different places that he thinks would make good quiet places and he could let his imagination run wild, only to find that the best place is at home where he can read his own books, think his own thoughts, and feel his own feelings. He discovers that the best quiet place...more
Emily Blay
This book has a good lesson. This book shows students that they need to learn when they have reached a boiling point. When they have this realization then they can go to a quiet place. All students need to know how to handle their anger/frustration. I would read this book to my students (kindergarten-fourth grade)
Tracy Mercier
We liked the book because I liked his hiding place. He wanted a quiet spot. He looked everywhere for a quiet spot. He looked at a cave, a beach, under a bush, at the museum, in the woods, and in the desert. One of my favorite spots is...I like going into my grandma's basement.sep 28 2011
Heather
4 1/2 yrs - the first pages hit home with us, my daughter has always been really sensitive to sound. She's gotten better about it the last year or so. Beautifully illustrated and I enjoyed the message even if it's a bit over the head of a small child.
Cya
Love,love, love this book. Very imaginative, great for self-discipline and reflection. Good for talking about taking a time out. Also, has very good poetry, compound words, and adjectives. Students can make connections book; cleaning room ect.
Kris
We all need quiet places, grown-ups and kids alike, and this lovely book reminds us that we can find quiet in forests, or beaches, or libraries, or even our own rooms, but the quiet place inside of us is always there no matter where we go.
Michelle Nero
Everyone needs a quiet place . . . where is your quiet place?

". . . and discover the very best quiet place of all --
the one that's always there no matter
where you go or where you stay --
the one inside of you."
Janae
At some point everyone needs a quiet place. This book helps guide a child to potential spots with imaginative illustrations (climb to the top of a hill and pretend you are a mountain climber).
Cassie Taylor
Loved this! Reminds me of Bridge to Teribithia. Stimulates imagination and encourages students to find time to play and imagine.
Carol Royce Owen
Great book for description of setting. I think I would pair this with All the Places to Love by Patricia Maclachlan
Lynn
Wonderful book about listening, seeing, thinking and enjoying things by yourself. Loved this book.
Natasha
Good book for introducing students to the topic of writing about their special place.
Glenda
A book that should be a part of every kids library. Loved the ending.
Marilyn
Great book about the magic of imagination and reading. Super.
Rachel
Jan 19, 2011 Rachel added it
Shelves: writing
To help students find a focus! Also to take a deep breath and relax.
Annie
That everyone needs quiet from time to time, and it is always inside!
Mariah Strand
This book is beautiful and very imaginative, very cool book.
Pam
Mar 22, 2012 Pam added it
Shelves: picture-books
A VERY RELAXING STORY.
Beatrice L.
Beatrice L. marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Mani Sidhu
Mani Sidhu marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Composer, recording artist, wilderness guide, and self-taught naturalist-Douglas Wood is perhaps most widely known as the highly acclaimed author of OLD TURTLE, a 1993 ABBY Award winner and an International Reading Association Book of the Year. Author of several books for readers of all ages, Douglas says he is always seeking themes that are universally significant to both children and adults. His...more
More about Douglas Wood...
Old Turtle Old Turtle And The Broken Truth What Moms Can't Do What Dads Can't Do Franklin and Winston: A Christmas That Changed the World