Start by marking “Still River” as Want to Read:
Still River

Still River (Lee Henry Oswald Mystery #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In a stark and haunting debut novel, Harry Hunsicker introduces Dallas P.I. Lee Henry Oswald,
a Special Forces veteran of the Gulf War whose work begins where legal options end…

He bears a killer's name…
Lee H. "Hank" Oswald inherited more from his bull-headed father than just a name. It's not that he looks for trouble; he just can't seem to keep out of its way. Fortunately b
Published June 27th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Still River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still River

Christopher Fulbright
Sep 03, 2012 Christopher Fulbright rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading STILL RIVER this morning, and feel like this is one of those times when it's important to write a review -- when you come across a book you liked so much that there was never a moment reading it when you wished you were doing something else.

Hunsicker's P.I. Lee Henry Oswald is a tough guy, sterotypical yes, but in all the ways that make reading P.I. novels really fun. He's definitely a hardboiled character in line with all the classics I love -- Philip Marlowe, Lew Archer
Viccy
Jan 20, 2010 Viccy rated it it was amazing
When your name is Lee Henry Oswald and you live in Dallas, Texas, you need to be a tough guy. Lee Henry (“call me, Hank”) is as tough as they come on the outside, but nougat on the inside. He lives in a house he is restoring and works in old East Dallas, sharing an office in a house with two other people: Ferguson Merriweather, a lawyer and David March Howell, a real estate appraiser. He shares his house with an elderly chocolate lab named Glenda.

He is unable to resist Vera Drinkwater, the high
LJ
STILL RIVER (Private Investigator-Dallas-Cont) – G-
Hunsicker, Harry – 1st book
Thomas Dunne Books, 2005- Hardcover
PI Lee Henry "Hank" Oswald is a Gulf War approached by a former schoolmate to find her brother, a former drug addict and alcoholic. Hank's dying partner, Ernie, asks Hank to help his niece, Nolan, also an investigator. The case evolves to include murder, violent drug dealers and a major real estate scam.
*** Some have compared this book to Lehane and Connelly. While I understand the co
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/2005/277 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: 1st in Lee Henry Oswald series
TIME/PLACE: Present/Dallas
CHARACTERS: Lee Henry Oswald/PI, Gulf War Vet
FIRST LINES:Vera Drinkwater had been a slut in high school, or so they said. According to Artie Galbreath, she'd traded a blowjob for tickets to REO Speedwagon in the back of his Goodtimes van, the kind w/ the shag carpet on the walls. Artie was the class dealer &a
Glen
Dec 05, 2014 Glen rated it liked it
Tough Dallas PI Lee Henry Oswald is hired to find one of his childhood buddies. He finds a big real estate conspiracy.

I have mixed feelings about this one. While I liked the mystery and most of the action, I actively disliked Oswald. He just seemed like a prig to me. This made it tougher for me to like the book.

Maybe Oswald is an acquired taste.
Katy
Jan 25, 2009 Katy rated it liked it
Maybe 3 1/2 for this one. It's a new author for me. (Thanks, Ed!) The series is based in Dallas, with a PI whose unfortunate name (Lee Henry Oswald) causes him some discomfort in that city in particular.

I like the characters, which is important to me above all else in a book. Lee Henry (Hank) is somewhat evocative of Robert Parker's Spenser. He's emotionally mature, self-confident, and surrounded by odd but lethal sidekicks. This book even supplies him with a character who does some psychologic
Rebecca
Jun 09, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Lee Henry Oswald, Special Forces veteran of the Gulf War, is a private investigator in - wait for it - Dallas, Texas. It makes him tough. He agrees to help an old friend locate her missing brother, who supposedly quit a drug habit and is now working in real estate. Trying to connect three prime suspects; a rising young real estate developer, a community activist, and a notorious drug dealer with Charlie, the missing brother, Hank discovers an unmistakable truth: "For the right price, a man might ...more
Melissa
Mar 03, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: texas
A fairly formulaic detective novel except. . . it's by a local author and set in Dallas. In fact, the fictional detective's office is just a few blocks from my house. It was fun to read about places I knew, and the mess that is Trinity River development (something that continues to be a huge issue around here), but it wasn't so fabulous that I'll check out the other Lee Henry Oswald mysteries. Yep, you read that character name correctly. It's almost too much.
Margarette
A simple assignment turns deadly when Oswald asks the right questions in the wrong places, and finds himself drawn into a shadowy world of smooth-talking drug lords and double-dealing real estate developers. In the end, he learns that blood is not always thicker than water, especially the muddy tributaries of the Trinity River, where he confronts the deadly results of his own decisions as he races to save the life of his partner.
Donna
Aug 08, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.....tough and moody......Hank Oswald is the Dallas version of Phillip Marlowe. I lived in Dallas for 10 years and could not get over Hunsicker's precise directions that he described when Hank rolled down the street. His descriptions are so vivid that I could actually see each scene as I read....now that doesn't happen to me very much anymore. A definite pick for noir detective lovers.
Scott E
Mar 03, 2009 Scott E rated it liked it
Being from Dallas, was excited to get into Hunsicker. Good story with a strong flow. I couldn't get over the detailed trip-descriptions every time Oswald went somewhere. It was if HH pulled up a google map and detailed every turn and sign-post...but maybe that was just an effect of being familiar with the area. Rating "3+".
Amy
Jan 23, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
277 p.
Irving Milbury
Apr 08, 2013 Irving Milbury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my kind of detective story! Fast-paced writing with a good mystery. The PI, Oswald, is the wry, tough-as-nails guy you'd expect, while his buddies are what you wouldn't expect. It all works perfectly. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kendall
Dec 19, 2008 Kendall rated it liked it
Recommends it for: <i>noir</i> PI aficionados
Recommended to Kendall by: Harry himself. Who else?
Shelves: mystery
Probably the greatest interest for this book is its Dallas setting. It does for Texas for James Lee Burke does for southern Louisiana. If you like noir PI books, you'll probably like this one.
Kate Potter
Jan 01, 2009 Kate Potter rated it it was ok
The book started out as a good, solid P.I. mystery. Sadly, 2/3 of the way through it degenerated into hyper-violenct over action.
Vlieta
Jun 25, 2009 Vlieta rated it liked it
Loved reading about all of the very familiar Dallas sites! I could picture the settings throughout the book.
Mark Llewellyn
Mark Llewellyn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Wendy
Wendy added it
May 20, 2016
Kathleen Cloyd
Kathleen Cloyd rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
skw
skw marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Karen Wegman
Karen Wegman marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Tehila
Tehila marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Robin Dooley
Robin Dooley rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
JB
JB marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Terri Johnson
Terri Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Allan
Allan rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Harry Hunsicker is the former executive vice president of the Mystery Writers of America and the author of seven crime thrillers. Hunsicker's work has been shortlisted for the Shamus and Thriller Awards. His story "West of Nowhere" (originally published in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine) was selected to appear in The Best American Mystery Stories 2011, edited by Otto Penzler and Harlan Coben. Hunsi ...more
More about Harry Hunsicker...

Lee Henry Oswald Mystery (3 books)
  • The Next Time You Die
  • Crosshairs

“Weapons were almost a birthright in the state of Texas; rich or poor, urban or rural, people like their guns. They were a rite of passage for many young men, a symbol of maturity, when they received their first .22 rifle, usually sometime in the second or third grade. But don’t try to take them away. Never can tell when you might have to shoot a rabid armadillo or somebody climbing through the window of your seventeenth-story apartment in Houston.” 0 likes