Still River

Still River (Lee Henry Oswald Mystery #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In a stark and haunting debut novel, Harry Hunsicker introduces Dallas P.I. Lee Henry Oswald,
a Special Forces veteran of the Gulf War whose work begins where legal options end…

He bears a killer's name…
Lee H. "Hank" Oswald inherited more from his bull-headed father than just a name. It's not that he looks for trouble; he just can't seem to keep out of its way. Fortunately b...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2005)

Christopher Fulbright
I just finished reading STILL RIVER this morning, and feel like this is one of those times when it's important to write a review -- when you come across a book you liked so much that there was never a moment reading it when you wished you were doing something else.

Hunsicker's P.I. Lee Henry Oswald is a tough guy, sterotypical yes, but in all the ways that make reading P.I. novels really fun. He's definitely a hardboiled character in line with all the classics I love -- Philip Marlowe, Lew Archer...more
Viccy
When your name is Lee Henry Oswald and you live in Dallas, Texas, you need to be a tough guy. Lee Henry (“call me, Hank”) is as tough as they come on the outside, but nougat on the inside. He lives in a house he is restoring and works in old East Dallas, sharing an office in a house with two other people: Ferguson Merriweather, a lawyer and David March Howell, a real estate appraiser. He shares his house with an elderly chocolate lab named Glenda.

He is unable to resist Vera Drinkwater, the high...more
LJ
STILL RIVER (Private Investigator-Dallas-Cont) – G-
Hunsicker, Harry – 1st book
Thomas Dunne Books, 2005- Hardcover
PI Lee Henry "Hank" Oswald is a Gulf War approached by a former schoolmate to find her brother, a former drug addict and alcoholic. Hank's dying partner, Ernie, asks Hank to help his niece, Nolan, also an investigator. The case evolves to include murder, violent drug dealers and a major real estate scam.
*** Some have compared this book to Lehane and Connelly. While I understand the co...more
Pam
10/29/07
TITLE/AUTHOR: STILL RIVER by Harry Hunsicker
RATING: 3.5/C+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/2005/277 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: 1st in Lee Henry Oswald series
TIME/PLACE: Present/Dallas
CHARACTERS: Lee Henry Oswald/PI, Gulf War Vet
FIRST LINES:Vera Drinkwater had been a slut in high school, or so they said. According to Artie Galbreath, she'd traded a blowjob for tickets to REO Speedwagon in the back of his Goodtimes van, the kind w/ the shag carpet on the walls. Artie was the class dealer &...more
Katy
Maybe 3 1/2 for this one. It's a new author for me. (Thanks, Ed!) The series is based in Dallas, with a PI whose unfortunate name (Lee Henry Oswald) causes him some discomfort in that city in particular.

I like the characters, which is important to me above all else in a book. Lee Henry (Hank) is somewhat evocative of Robert Parker's Spenser. He's emotionally mature, self-confident, and surrounded by odd but lethal sidekicks. This book even supplies him with a character who does some psychologic...more
Rebecca
Lee Henry Oswald, Special Forces veteran of the Gulf War, is a private investigator in - wait for it - Dallas, Texas. It makes him tough. He agrees to help an old friend locate her missing brother, who supposedly quit a drug habit and is now working in real estate. Trying to connect three prime suspects; a rising young real estate developer, a community activist, and a notorious drug dealer with Charlie, the missing brother, Hank discovers an unmistakable truth: "For the right price, a man might...more
Melissa
A fairly formulaic detective novel except. . . it's by a local author and set in Dallas. In fact, the fictional detective's office is just a few blocks from my house. It was fun to read about places I knew, and the mess that is Trinity River development (something that continues to be a huge issue around here), but it wasn't so fabulous that I'll check out the other Lee Henry Oswald mysteries. Yep, you read that character name correctly. It's almost too much.
Margarette
A simple assignment turns deadly when Oswald asks the right questions in the wrong places, and finds himself drawn into a shadowy world of smooth-talking drug lords and double-dealing real estate developers. In the end, he learns that blood is not always thicker than water, especially the muddy tributaries of the Trinity River, where he confronts the deadly results of his own decisions as he races to save the life of his partner.
Donna
I loved this book.....tough and moody......Hank Oswald is the Dallas version of Phillip Marlowe. I lived in Dallas for 10 years and could not get over Hunsicker's precise directions that he described when Hank rolled down the street. His descriptions are so vivid that I could actually see each scene as I read....now that doesn't happen to me very much anymore. A definite pick for noir detective lovers.
Scott E
Being from Dallas, was excited to get into Hunsicker. Good story with a strong flow. I couldn't get over the detailed trip-descriptions every time Oswald went somewhere. It was if HH pulled up a google map and detailed every turn and sign-post...but maybe that was just an effect of being familiar with the area. Rating "3+".
Irving Milbury
This is my kind of detective story! Fast-paced writing with a good mystery. The PI, Oswald, is the wry, tough-as-nails guy you'd expect, while his buddies are what you wouldn't expect. It all works perfectly. Can't wait to read the next one!
Kendall
Dec 19, 2008 Kendall rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: <i>noir</i> PI aficionados
Recommended to Kendall by: Harry himself. Who else?
Shelves: mystery
Probably the greatest interest for this book is its Dallas setting. It does for Texas for James Lee Burke does for southern Louisiana. If you like noir PI books, you'll probably like this one.
Kate Potter
The book started out as a good, solid P.I. mystery. Sadly, 2/3 of the way through it degenerated into hyper-violenct over action.
Vlieta
Loved reading about all of the very familiar Dallas sites! I could picture the settings throughout the book.
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Zjourney
Zjourney marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Murphy
Murphy marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Kathryn Cantrell
Kathryn Cantrell marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Diana Olsen
Diana Olsen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Greg Jackson
Greg Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Harry Hunsicker was raised by wolves in the rain forests of central Dallas, near the headwaters of Turtle Creek.

The fourth generation of his family to call Dallas home, Hunsicker works as a commercial real estate appraiser and speaks on creative writing when not penning the next Lee Henry Oswald mystery.

Hunsicker is an active member of the International Thriller Writers, the Mystery Writers of Ame...more
More about Harry Hunsicker...
Contractors, The The Next Time You Die Crosshairs Shadow Boys (A Jon Cantrell Thriller) Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down