The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (November/December 2011, Volume 121, Nos. 5 & 6)

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction #698)

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Stories:

- "Quartet and Triptych", by Matthew Hughes
- "The Ice Owl", by Carolyn Ives Gilman
- "Under Glass", by Tim Sullivan
- "They That Have Wings", by Evangeline Walton
- "Object Three", by James L. Cambias
- "How Peter Met Pan", by Albert E. Cowdrey
- "The Klepsydra: A Chapter from 'A Faunary of Recondite Beings", by Michaela Roessner

Features:

- Books to Look For, by Charles...more
Published November 2011 by Spilogale, Inc.

Daniel
Sometimes I wish for half-stars, as I can't decide between three or four...

"Under Glass", by Tim Sullivan - A fantasy dealing with a man who inherits his friend's collection of bottled souls. Interesting takes on the themes of loss and how to deal with someone's 'beliefs' respectfully when you may not share or acknowledge their reality or power.

"They That Have Wings", by Evangeline Walton - A previously unpublished tale by the late author. In it, a few World War II Allied soldiers hiding from Ge...more
AJ
Personal Summary:

5 Star:
The Klepsydra Is this really just a chapter??? I want so much more of this story!!! Added Walkabout Woman to my to-be-read pile based on this story. Can't wait to find time to start reading it.
How Peter Met Pan *hugs* to Albert Cowdrey. All I have to say about this one is "Baroque". :)

4 Star:
Under Glass Souls in a jar. Nice. Not over the top either.
Quartet and Triptych I always think that Matthew Hughes is just writing to flex his vocabulary. Luckily, there's something...more
Alex Ristea
This was my first issue of the Magazine of Fantasy & Sci-Fi, and I honestly wasn't that impressed. None of the short stories appealed to me, and I didn't finish reading the novella that was the majority of this issue.

Hopefully future publications will have better stories.
Amanda
Dec 26, 2011 Amanda added it
Especially enjoyed The Ice Owl by Carolyn Ives Gilman. As always, this magazine is the best thing that ever appears in my mailbox.

[Edit: The Ice Owl has been nominated for a Hugo. Hooray! - ah 4/12/2012]
Ondrej Urban
Ondrej Urban marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 15, 2013
taeli
taeli marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Dustin
Dustin added it
Aug 30, 2012
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2012
Lisa
Lisa added it
Feb 11, 2012
The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, July/August 2013 The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2013 Fantasy & Science Fiction, Jan/Feb 2013 (Vol 124, #1/2) Fantasy & Science Fiction (March/April 2012)