Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (November/December 2011, Volume 121, Nos. 5 & 6)” as Want to Read:

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Stories:

- "Quartet and Triptych", by Matthew Hughes
- "The Ice Owl", by Carolyn Ives Gilman
- "Under Glass", by Tim Sullivan
- "They That Have Wings", by Evangeline Walton
- "Object Three", by James L. Cambias
- "How Peter Met Pan", by Albert E. Cowdrey
- "The Klepsydra: A Chapter from 'A Faunary of Recondite Beings", by Michaela Roessner

Features:

- Books to Look For, by Charles
Published November 2011 by Spilogale, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction

Daniel
Sometimes I wish for half-stars, as I can't decide between three or four...

"Under Glass", by Tim Sullivan - A fantasy dealing with a man who inherits his friend's collection of bottled souls. Interesting takes on the themes of loss and how to deal with someone's 'beliefs' respectfully when you may not share or acknowledge their reality or power.

"They That Have Wings", by Evangeline Walton - A previously unpublished tale by the late author. In it, a few World War II Allied soldiers hiding from Ge
AJ
Personal Summary:

5 Star:
The Klepsydra Is this really just a chapter??? I want so much more of this story!!! Added Walkabout Woman to my to-be-read pile based on this story. Can't wait to find time to start reading it.
How Peter Met Pan *hugs* to Albert Cowdrey. All I have to say about this one is "Baroque". :)

4 Star:
Under Glass Souls in a jar. Nice. Not over the top either.
Quartet and Triptych I always think that Matthew Hughes is just writing to flex his vocabulary. Luckily, there's somethi
Alex Ristea
This was my first issue of the Magazine of Fantasy & Sci-Fi, and I honestly wasn't that impressed. None of the short stories appealed to me, and I didn't finish reading the novella that was the majority of this issue.

Hopefully future publications will have better stories.
Amanda
Dec 26, 2011 Amanda added it
Especially enjoyed The Ice Owl by Carolyn Ives Gilman. As always, this magazine is the best thing that ever appears in my mailbox.

[Edit: The Ice Owl has been nominated for a Hugo. Hooray! - ah 4/12/2012]
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
David
David added it
Jan 20, 2015
Abby Bartholomew
Abby Bartholomew marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Verin
Verin marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Daisy
Daisy added it
Jul 18, 2014
Ondrej Urban
Ondrej Urban marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 15, 2013
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Dustin
Dustin added it
Aug 30, 2012
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2012
The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Volume 2 The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2014 The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, July/August 2013 The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May/June 2013

“Despite Imbry's demurrals, Ghyll never missed an opportunity to expound on his creed, and was now again launched upon a lecture. "Life, after all," he said, "is but a succession of greater and lesser probabilities—a melange of maybes, as the Grand Prognosticator so aptly put it. Look at you, here in the supposed security of Bolly's Snug, supping and swilling with nary a care. Yet can you deny that a fragment of some asteroid, shattered in a collision far out in thither space back when humankind was still adrip with the primordial slime, having spent millions of years looming toward us, might now, its moment come, lance down through the atmosphere at immense speed and obliterate you where you stand?" "I do not deny the possibility," said Imbry. "I say that the likelihood is remote." "Yet still it exists! And if we couple that existence to a divine appetite for upsetting mortal plans—" "I can think of other, less far-fetched scenarios that might lead to the obliteration of someone in this room," said the thief. He accompanied the remark with an unwinking stare that ought to have caused Ghyll to stop to consider that, though Imbry was so corpulent as to be almost spherical, he was capable of sudden and conclusive acts of violence. And that consideration would have led, in turn, to a change of subject. But the Computant was too deeply set in his philosophy to take note of how others responded to it, and continued to discourse on abstruse concerns.” 0 likes