Start by marking “Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders” as Want to Read:
Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders

Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In Eating the Big Fish, Adam Morgan offers hands-on advice, examples, and useful information to the #2, #3, and #4 brands looking to compete effectively with the top banana. He defines the various types of "challenger brands" and then discusses the brand and advertising strategies of the most famous and successful challenger brands of the last decade.
Published January 27th 1999 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Eating the Big Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating the Big Fish

Manda
Meg Allwein
Actually I'm reading the 2nd, updated version. It is particularly apropos to the major brand evaluation my company is undertaking right now and this book is really sparking a lot of new ways of thinking.
Michael Tuggle
Adam Morgan is one the earliest and best leaders in the concept of "challenger branding" that Loomis has adopted as our foundational philosophy. We are a challenger brand agency serving those clients who are outmanned and outspent by bigger competitors. Our job is to outthink those competitors and this book lays the foundation for that. Even if you're not a challenger brand agency, or in advertising, it's a fascinating read.
Chi Pham
An appropriate textbook for marketing, no more, no less. Honestly, I expected a book on the level of "The Origin of Brands", but I was let down. Over the years, I have come to read many more books like this, but with more engaging writing styles. Hey, Mankiw teaches us that textbooks could be fun, too! Give this book a shot if you need to learn (quickly) about marketing, but it is not going to be a great ride.
Tim
Marketing book focusing on how the little fish can take market share away from bigger fish. I enjoyed the case studies in this book and passion in the reading. You have to be bold to eat the big fish but I think that Morgan makes are strong point for boldness and gives marketers many different ways to do it.
A great book for marketers.
Chas Bayfield
When I set up an ad agency in 2001, this was one of two books I was told to read (the other was the Tipping Point). I'm glad I took the advice, it was brilliant and hugely encouraging. It's helpful to realise that the little guys aren't little because they aren't good, they're little because they haven't worked out how to be big yet.
Mike Moyer
This is one of my favorite books about branding and marketing. The book covers some key concept about how smaller companies can beat the big companies. It pairs well with Blue Ocean Strategy.

I loan the book out a lot to friends and students so I've had to buy it many times because I don't keep track!
Joey Chiang
Really good book with profound ideas in how challenger brands approach the marketplace. It was a little dry to read at times, but a definite must read for any new brands and individuals that just want to be smarter marketers.
Michael
Posits the thesis that challenger brands must approach strategy and tactics very differently than leader brands. Strong, actionable direction. Well done, though could use an update that refreshes the case studies.
Isaiah Fapuro
Not My traditional read, but interesting all the same. My boss bought it for me for Christmas, and it's given me good insight into branding, and some ideas for the company I work for. Exciting times.
Andy Mcilwain
Biggest takeaway: Figure out what nobody else is doing. Make that your point of differentiation, and promote the hell out of it.
Marlon Stephen
Currently reading the 2nd edition which was updated in 2009 to include social media and the rise of Facebook as a case study.
Adam Vanderveen
Dec 16, 2010 Adam Vanderveen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm managing three challenger brands, so I'm loving the concepts in this book.
Hussain Al-essa
Nov 27, 2012 Hussain Al-essa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I recommendation from a dear friend.
grumblemouse
starting it tonight!
Dilara Şebnem
Dilara Şebnem marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Manasa Ravali
Manasa Ravali marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Ola Olusoga
Ola Olusoga marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Sorina Badoi
Sorina Badoi marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Chirag Craig
Chirag Craig marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Tadas Talaikis
Tadas Talaikis is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2015
Pablo
Pablo marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Building Strong Brands
  • How Brands Grow: What Marketers Don't Know
  • Baked In: Creating Products and Businesses That Market Themselves
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage
  • Brandsimple: How the Best Brands Keep It Simple and Succeed
  • Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • The Hero and the Outlaw: Building Extraordinary Brands Through the Power of Archetypes
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • Consumerology: The Market Research Myth, the Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
The Pirate Inside: Building a Challenger Brand Culture Within Yourself and Your Organization Overthrow: 10 Ways to Tell a Challenger Story A Beautiful Constraint: How to Transform Your Limitations Into Advantages, and Why It's Everyone's Business A Beautiful Constraint: How To Transform Your Limitations Into Advantages, and Why It's Everyone's Business Best Hikes Near Chicago

“They have come across an aspect of product performance about a brand that is startlingly impressive: that a Land Rover is designed to be able to drive 4,000 miles continually off-road, for example; that the airline I flew in on this morning had a masseuse on the plane that gave me a neck massage when I woke up; or that an ice cream that was forced upon me last night contained preposterously large chunks of Toffee Chocolate Fudge.” 1 likes
“There is a story about Henry Ford that dramatizes the “just enough” philosophy nicely: Ford used to send his people out to scour the scrap heaps of America looking for old Ford engines. Dragging them back to Detroit, they would look for the parts that hadn’t worn out and then downgrade the specifications to save money.” 0 likes