Start by marking “Brand Failures: The Truth about the 100 Biggest Branding Mistakes of All Time” as Want to Read:
Brand Failures: The Truth about the 100 Biggest Branding Mistakes of All Time

Brand Failures: The Truth about the 100 Biggest Branding Mistakes of All Time

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
What do Coca-Cola, McDonald's, IBM, Microsoft and Virgin have in common? Yes, they are all global giants, but what they are less recognized for are all those branded products they've launched that have bombed - spectacularly and at great cost.

Brand Failures takes a riveting look at how such disasters occur. In this new updated edition of the classic Matt Haig's best-sellin
Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Brand Failures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brand Failures

Veeral
We love failures. Not ours, of course not! But we love it when a brand of some criminally rich corporation fails. Didn’t we use to make fun of Microsoft’s Windows NT? Remember Windows NT? The one we "lovingly" called “Neanderthal Technology”?

In the same spirit, Matt Haig has written Brand Failures – to entertain us at the expense of criminally rich corporations! Well, mostly.

The book was written in 2003 so it is almost a decade old, so you wouldn't get to read anything about recent corporate fai
Phil Fox
An interesting read... but there are two big issues with the work. 1. Hindsight is 20/20. 2. Some of these "mistakes" were simply ideas that failed due to unforeseeable circumstances and nothing more. I really don't feel like the company should be called out on those fronts.
Themistocles
I found little of much interest or importance in this book. Several cases can be found in other books, but there are lots of cases where I learnt new stuff.

However, several of the 100 cases "examined" are only analysed within a couple of sentences (while others extend to several pages) and as such offer very little insight.

What's more, many of those cases presented here can hardly be described as 'blunders' and the smug explanations given to justify the characterisation could equally well go the
Viktoras
Jun 25, 2014 Viktoras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vr-rinkodara
Perskaitęs knygą jaučiuosi tarsi pasimokęs pasaulio verslo istorijos ir plius įgijęs vertingų rinkodaros žinių ir pavyzdžių, kaip nereikia daryti.

Nors knygoje ne visi 100 atvejų išanalizuoti vienodai giliai, ne visi ir atvejai įdomūs ar reikšmingi, bet ji vistiek verta dėmesio. Pačios nesėkmės suskirstytos pagal įvairias temas, kaip pvz. viešųjų ryšių klaidos, ženklo keitimo, perdarymo, naujų produktų išvedimo ir panašiai.

Šią knygą skaitant tiesiog yra būtina turėti šalia interneto prieigą, nes
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Grandes errores de marcas, de Matt Haig.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: marketing y ventas, gestionar marcas y posicionamiento.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Grandes errores de marcas, La verdad sobre los mayores errores de branding de todos los tiempos: Grandes errores de marcas
Stephen
What helps a brand succeed – or makes it fail? Brand Failures attempts to divine out the secrets to success by examining one hundred products or companies which have tanked. Some were new, others ancient, still others new ventures backed by established titans – but failure comes to all. Each of the book’s one hundred sections features a different American or British brand. The sections vary in length: New Coke, which starts the work off, features a history of Coca-Cola and Pepsi’s competition, s ...more
Ana Mardoll
Brand Failures / 9780749444334

Who doesn't love reading about epic failures in marketing and product branding? A good "brand autopsy" can be both fun and educational, and can really help educate amateurs (like me) and marketing savvy experts alike on what pitfalls to avoid and how to properly package and market a new brand.

"Brand Failures" attempts to ambitiously tackle 101 famous branding mistakes and errors, from the classic "New Coke" to the failure of "Betamax" to Kodak's recent efforts to r
Loy Machedo
Dec 15, 2011 Loy Machedo rated it it was amazing
"Why did Coca-Colas New Coke fail?
Why is Kelloggs not a happening product in India?
What happened when Sony attached itself to the movie GodzillaÂÂ (which I loved of course)?
Did Pepsi ever make a mighty mistake and then learn from it?

What about the bizzare launches of Virgin Cola?
Harley Davidsons Perfume?
Ponds Toothpaste?
Heinz cleaning Vinegar?
Chiquitas fruits?

With so many product extensions of Crest & Miller why did they actually fail?

Do you still remember Pam Am?
McDonalds?
Enron?
Planet
Loy Machedo
Dec 06, 2011 Loy Machedo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did Coca-Colas New Coke fail?
Why is Kelloggs not a happening product in India?
What happened when Sony attached itself to the movie Godzilla (which I loved of course)?
Did Pepsi ever make a mighty mistake and then learn from it?

What about the bizzare launches of Virgin Cola?
Harley Davidsons Perfume?
Ponds Toothpaste?
Heinz cleaning Vinegar?
Chiquitas fruits?

With so many product extensions of Crest & Miller why did they actually fail?

Do you still remember Pam Am?
McDonalds?
Enron?
Planet Hollywoo
Nathan
Mar 29, 2013 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
It's kinda interesting to read about failures for a change: generally there's a massive survivor bias to the analysis of business strategy and tactics. Looking at who died on their way to the podium is also instructive, though I found I wearied of relentless failure after a while. Nonetheless, a few interesting factoids along the way:

Domino’s was the first company to offer home-delivered pizza and remains the leader in that particular market. Coca-Cola, the world’s top five most popular and fina
Joseph Harris
Jun 06, 2012 Joseph Harris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:

What do Coca-Cola, McDonald's, IBM, Microsoft, and Virgin have in common? They are all global giants, but what they are less recognized for are the branded products they've launched that have bombed -- spectacularly and at great cost.Brand Failures takes a look at how such disasters occur. In this updated edition of Matt Haig's book, we're given the inside story of 100 major brand blunders. Haig describes the brands that have launched with the help of multi-million dollar advertising campaigns o

Ruth Schofield
Matt Haig describes the different ways brands have failed, whether it is from bad ideas, over extention of the brand, PR failures, cultural failures, rebranding failures or just the brand becoming old and tired.

In the materialistic world we live in I find the concept of brands and why people believe that brand A is better than brand B interesting. As is why brands fail. Matt Haig's describes why 101 brands fail and although it is faninating these can become repetative and his section on the less
Ankur
Jun 29, 2014 Ankur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book.

A must read for those who wish to join an MBA course.
Saqib Khan
Great learning.
Chris Eagle
So so examples of failures. Post mortems are insipid.
Elise
Mar 28, 2013 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided a fascinating history of US culture in a way that I could relate to since almost all of the products were brand names that I recognized. Some examples were British, and those obviously didn't trigger memories for me. The only downside is the book had a lot of spelling errors and many English words with British origin that couldn't be found in my Kindle e-book dictionary.
Elliot Richards
Apr 19, 2014 Elliot Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's out of date for sure, but still an entertaining and informative read.
Sonam  Puri
Dec 13, 2014 Sonam Puri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's definitely a good read. lot of examples to be quoted in class of advertising, marketing, PR, brand management and even media planning.
Projection
Educative but full of boring and outdated analysis of brand failures which has nothing to do with present day advertisement and marketing world.
I Would recommend this book only for education purpose as it provides detail case studies of various International brands which are extinct or on verge of extinction.
Sonika
Jan 05, 2012 Sonika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the biggest brands - from Coke to British Royal Post - failed miserably due to various reasons. We often talk of how they rose, but this book gives us those important lessons of how the best of brands can die. It captures different brand stories very well with lessons drawn from each of those examples.
Janice
Oct 22, 2011 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of information in this book about why "brands" not products, fail, and I found it most interesting but.....probably not useful as a predictor of what "will" succeed, only an analysis of why these brands failed. It was a quick read and interesting and the author did his homework.
Anh
Sep 10, 2012 Anh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite

Very interesting read, those failing examples always make me laugh. I will recommend it for educational purpose, though some of the brands name are from so long ago that I hardly know them, it would be better if there is another book on more-current failing brands.
Nhung Nguyen
Sep 07, 2013 Nhung Nguyen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
This book is specially good for anyone who craves for real life brand management situations. It has some new points but basically reminds readers about basic knowledge of brand management.
Ferdi Anggriawan
Feb 27, 2013 Ferdi Anggriawan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The core message of this book is that you must not fall into the temptating lure of greed or in other words Line Extension. Simply awesome.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book on branding for the knowledge worker, manager, executive, or entrepreneur.
Amrita
Apr 05, 2013 Amrita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Interesting to learn about brands and author's insights adds a touch of humor every now and then.
Anton
Jan 05, 2011 Anton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a fun read, but gets kinda repetitive in some chapters. Reading about FAIL is always fun.
Andrew
Oct 20, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable, with the right amount of detail for a layman like me.
Ian
Sep 26, 2012 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read most of the book. Had to return it unfinished to the library.
Martin Linkov
Jan 01, 2012 Martin Linkov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris Georgiev
Shelves: marketing
Interesting read so far
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief, 2nd edition
  • Why America Is Not a New Rome
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Style on a Shoestring
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • Velocity: Combining Lean, Six Sigma and the Theory of Constraints to Achieve Breakthrough Performance - A Business Novel
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Social Psychology
  • Brandwashed
  • The Power of Simplicity
  • Clark Howard's Living Large in Lean Times: 250+ Ways to Buy Smarter, Spend Smarter, and Save Money
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • Managing Brand Equity
  • Kellogg on Branding: The Marketing Faculty of the Kellogg School of Management

“AintItCoolNews,” 0 likes
“Yahoo is our whimsical guide; Infoseek our all-knowing soothsayer. Excite@Home is more like a politician on the fence.” 0 likes