Start by marking “Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files #4)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  88,023 Ratings  ·  2,763 Reviews
Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can’t pay his rent. He’s alienating his friends. He can’t even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone book has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can’t get any worse, in saunters t
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 3rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Knight

Will M.
Jan 14, 2015 Will M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never considered reading about faeries, but it was a mandatory thing for me to do so because I really like the Dresden Files. Harry Dresden is no doubt one of my favorite fictional characters. Witty and crazy will always be a perfect match.

This novel was about faeries, and thrones. I really enjoyed how Butcher portrayed both. I've never read anything faerie related so I had no background knowledge of them. Based on the first three novels, Butcher is known for putting his own twists in the supe
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy read began April 27th on Buddies Books and Baubles

Look you know it is going to be a bad day when it starts out raining toads, there is an assassination attempt on your life, you girlfriend is avoiding you (she has some changes to deal with), you can’t find your good robe for your impending trial with the White Council and Mab shows up at your office.

At this point you’d probably be better off going back to bed. But since you inadvertently started a war between The Red Court of Vampires and
Paul
Aug 30, 2008 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I start gnawing on the book, let me first say that I enjoy Butcher's writing overall. He does good character, a romping pace, and makes me care about his protagonists. In fact, Butcher's a good enough writer that he enters the "good enough to realize his mistakes, which makes it so frustrating when he misses them" category. So...yes...he's quite good.

But....

This is definitely the lesser of the 1st four books. I'm muchly bothered by the severe escalation of the power scale in this book, as
Lindsey Rey
Jul 02, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
StoryTellerShannon
This is a revised review as of 4/14/2013.

The strength of this novel is on the world building and character of Harry Dresden with a plot that moves along fast. One thing you can always say about the recent books is that they are fun and fast reads. This presumes you're a fan of Harry (a wise-cracking detective for hire style wizard, who had a tendency to piss off a lot of people) and the writing style. In fact if you don't like Harry then you shouldn't be reading these books.

In book four, he's
Conor
Jun 21, 2016 Conor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another strong installment in the Dresden series. This one picked up where the last one left off very nicely with the introduction of some cool characters and an introduction to the White Council, the political leaders of the wizards, and all the scheming and backbiting that comes with them, which Harry finds himself caught in the middle of. There was also the unexpected return of a character who has been talked about quite a bit in the first few books. (view spoiler) ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Summer Knight starts with Harry in a very dark place. He is reeling from the fact that his girlfriend has left him, and she's been changed into a near-vampire by the Red Court of Vampires. He feels personally responsible, and is desperate for a way to help her. This despair has affected him to a deep level, and he's barely functioning, living in a pig-sty, and not even taking cases or taking care of himself. It was very hard to see him like that. And things don't get better for Harry. Because he ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Harry Dresden, the wizard/private investigator, is depressed: major girlfriend troubles, problems making rent, various and sundry supernatural beings trying to kill him, outstanding obligations to the Fae that are equally likely to result in his death, and issues with the governing council of wizards, who want to turn Harry over to the vampire council who -- you got it -- also want Harry dead.

Several people told me to just start with this book, #4 in the Dresden urban fantasy series, if I wanted
Otila
Dec 15, 2015 Otila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, audiobook

I really enjoy listening to this series and this book has been my favorite so far.

Of course it does, James, don't be silly.

Aside from James Marsters ear-gasms, I'm really starting to get into the overarching storyline that seems to be developing.

On to the next one!

Karla
4 Stars! This is urban fantasy, not romance, but I want to jump in the book, lay Harry flat out on his back, and have my way with him! What a yummy wizard!

Another stand out installment in this series. A kick-ass plot, lots of laugh out loud moments, amazing world building, and the knowledge that there will be more, more, more! Loved Billy the Werewolf and his crew! Harry can't keep his eyes in his head when the female werewolves get naked...naughty wizard!

James Marsters as narrator, makes this
David Sven
Another solid entry in the Dresden Universe. James Marsters as audio narrator has really come into his own since the first book to the point where I can't imagine anyone else being the voice of Harry Dresden. His rendition of other characters and creatures has just improved out of sight as well.

The pace of this book took a bit of a hit compared to his previous books, with a large chunk of the middle taken up with a lot of dialogue and world building. We learn a lot about the fairy courts. And I
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Another Harry Dresden audiobook, another winner! I ADORE this series!

The audiobook for this series is simply sensational! Sure, James Marsters doesn't have a wide range of voices and sure, he wetly clears his throat a lot, but you know what? I don't care! He IS Harry Dresden and DAMN does he make these books come alive.

An excellent listen and another fabulous visit to my favorite wizard of them all!
Nicholas Karpuk
To reiterate my criticism of the series as a whole: Harry Dresden is a stupid, narcissistic, nerd (nerdcissist?) who's first impulse when it comes to problem solving is to run into the villain's lair and shout "Who's making all the bad magic!" and then get surprised when people attempt to murder him.

The cover art for all these books, and the casting choice for the television show give me the impression that Butcher views Dresden as a sort of wizardly Han Solo, a roguish figure marginalized by bo
Jilly
"Keep reading the series," they said. "It gets really good around book 4," they said...
Well, they were right. Butcher really kicked it up a notch in this latest Harry Dresden novel. (Okay, latest for me. I realize this series is years old and I'm very late to the party. It's like I just discovered Facebook. Have you guys ever heard of it?)

In this book, we find Harry at his lowest point. His life basically sucks and he is in a deep depression. His girlfriend rejected his proposal and left town be
seak
Nov 12, 2011 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Jim Butcher's Summer Knight is the fourth book in Jim Butcher's much-loved Dresden Files. I realize I'm a bit behind, but I have good reasons for this...well, maybe...

I read the first 3 a couple years ago, all back to back and I really enjoyed them at the time...the only problem was the repetition. I was getting a bit tired of hearing the same reasoning behind everything Harry does. It made sense at first...then it made less sense the more volumes I kept reading with the same descriptions.

Maybe
Kaitlin
Jul 23, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this is my favourite of the Dresden books so far. I have to say I wasn't necessarily expecting it to involve the Fae, and when I discovered it did, well everything from then on was pretty damn epic!

So once more we're following harry Dresden (Private Investigator/Wizard) as he works another case and is getting over the events of the last disaster. He's a pretty decent guy for most of this book, and the misogyny wasn't really present in this book (which was great!). It seemed more focused on a
Stephen
3.0 stars. The Dresden files books are great fun and this is a good installment, though not quite as good as the previous 3 books. I view them as literary comfort food. Great characters and a really cool magic system make this an interesting read. Recommended.
AH
Poor Harry! When we last left our intrepid wizard in Grave Peril, he was saddened by the departure of someone close to him. Harry is now in despondent mode, barely existing. His apartment is a mess, he hasn’t worked much, and the bills are piling up. To add to his troubles, it’s raining toads. Yes, toads. And someone or a lot of someones – want him dead. Including his own Wizard Council.

I can’t believe how much action is crammed into this book. So many things happen, it’s almost hard to keep tra
Olga
Aug 31, 2012 Olga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Over the course of the last three books of the Dresden Files series I've come to expect Jim Butcher to give me something different every time, not just in terms of Dresden's adversaries and allies but also in terms of the difficulty of his task and the character arc. I've come to look forward to finding out what supernatural species was going to come up on the stage next. I've come to relish the smart-alec and often beat up but never beatdown Harry. I thought I had the general system all worked ...more
Rosa, really
Jan 25, 2016 Rosa, really rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf-or-pnr
Becky
4.5 Stars

I don't like fairies/faeries/fae. I just wanna get that out there up front. I think they are boring and oh-so-scurry with all their dancing and laughing and pipe-playing blah-de-blah. The current trend where fairies/faeries/fae are all the rage and everyone is trying to "re-think" them? Not my thing. Pass. I'm good on that.

Now I know that maybe lots of people will probably rush to defend the fairies/faeries/fae and say "They aren't all like that! Read [book] -- the fairies/faeries/fae
Monica
Oct 14, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I have been reading this series very slowly, it is obvious that this series gets better as it goes. The more the reader gets to know Harry, the more sympathetic he becomes as a protagonist, and his flaws only make him seem more human and relatable. The plot has also become progressively more complex and engaging with each novel in the series, and I can't wait to read the rest of the installments of The Dresden Files!
Sheri
Sep 28, 2012 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, audio
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is my very favorite wizard/private eye ever. In Summer Knight, Harry is mourning Susan and having a rough time of it. He's also got other things to deal with, faeries namely. It seems that Harry just cannot catch a break. He has some people on his side, though, like the werewolves who I have grown to love, and Murphy who I also love, but ultimately it comes down to him.

What I really love about this book (and the series in general) is the emotional and persona
Sandi
May 16, 2009 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
Harry Dresden collects friends. He doesn't really try, but people care about him. He doesn't even really realize how much they care about him. In "Summer Knight", he gets help from Billy the werewolf who was introduced in Fool Moon. He also has some fairies and wizards looking out for him. After sleeping away the third book, Murphy re-appears as a stronger character than ever. Now, after four books, I feel like I'm one of Harry's friends too.

I think Harry's friendships and whatever it is that ma
Mike (the Paladin)
I loved this book to, but then I loved all the Dresden books. Everyone and everything ends up at stake here and unlike so many books where "the fate of the world hangs in the balance" this one stays an absorbing page turner throughout.

You can't help but feel for Harry, the poor schmuck usually manages to get the proverbial "snot" beat (yes I know it should be "beaten out" but we're going colloquial here) out of him, before the end of the book. Sometimes the amount of punishment he takes is (as
Faye, la Patata
So much better than the previous book. At least I didn't feel like skimming pages. I totally didn't see the twists coming >_<
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Listen, there's an evil unicorn in this book as well as, a magic brawl in a Wall-Mart, pizza eating pixies a bad ass Minotaur, and a Lord Of The Rings-style face off of Faerie vs. Faerie.

I mean really, how can you not enjoy this book?

Jim Butcher, I feel, really cranks things up in this one. The world of Harry Dresden blows wide open and you get an eyeball full of what his world is really like. The 3 novels before this one have all helped in slowly building an incredible world of magic and myster
Samuel Vega
May 04, 2016 Samuel Vega rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And the lift off into some good reading begins. As the adventures of our hero, Harry Dresden, continue we find him… well sad at the beginning of this installment. And desperate. And justifiably so, I think. Can’t really get into why that is without giving much of the last book away and I couldn’t do that you, the reader.

Anyways. Without getting into much of anything Dresden has to keep living and not dying so he gets thrown into a mess of things that have to do with Faeries. And as we all well k
Chris
Apr 30, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Another good entry in the Dresden series. I didn't like it quite as well as the earlier ones, though there were moments that had really great character development. This one seemed to get bogged down a bit in Fae politics and it was hard sometimes to keep up with all the characters of the Faerie Courts.

That said, it was a very interesting take on the Fae idea. I also liked learning more about the Wizard Council, and some of the new characters introduced here were excellent. Lots of funny Dresden
Carolyn
Mar 12, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Another excellent episode in the Dresden Files. Harry is in trouble with the White Council (the governing body of Wizards) for inadvertently starting a war between the vampires and the wizards. Now there is also trouble in Faerie land with the Summer and the Winter courts heading for war. Someone has killed the Summer Knight and is trying to blame Mab, the Winter Queen. Mab promises to anul Harry's debt to the Fae if he undertakes three challenges for him, the first being to find out who killed ...more
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)

“You backbiting, poisonous, treacherous, deceitful, wicked, clever girl. If this works I'll buy you a pony.” 401 likes
“In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!” 362 likes