Start by marking “Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)” as Want to Read:
Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files #4)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  70,276 ratings  ·  2,190 reviews
Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can’t pay his rent. He’s alienating his friends. He can’t even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone book has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can’t get any worse, in saunters t
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Knight

Will M.
I never considered reading about faeries, but it was a mandatory thing for me to do so because I really like the Dresden Files. Harry Dresden is no doubt one of my favorite fictional characters. Witty and crazy will always be a perfect match.

This novel was about faeries, and thrones. I really enjoyed how Butcher portrayed both. I've never read anything faerie related so I had no background knowledge of them. Based on the first three novels, Butcher is known for putting his own twists in the supe
StoryTellerShannon
This is a revised review as of 4/14/2013.

The strength of this novel is on the world building and character of Harry Dresden with a plot that moves along fast. One thing you can always say about the recent books is that they are fun and fast reads. This presumes you're a fan of Harry (a wise-cracking detective for hire style wizard, who had a tendency to piss off a lot of people) and the writing style. In fact if you don't like Harry then you shouldn't be reading these books.

In book four, he's
Paul
Before I start gnawing on the book, let me first say that I enjoy Butcher's writing overall. He does good character, a romping pace, and makes me care about his protagonists. In fact, Butcher's a good enough writer that he enters the "good enough to realize his mistakes, which makes it so frustrating when he misses them" category. So...yes...he's quite good.

But....

This is definitely the lesser of the 1st four books. I'm muchly bothered by the severe escalation of the power scale in this book, as
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Summer Knight starts with Harry in a very dark place. He is reeling from the fact that his girlfriend has left him, and she's been changed into a near-vampire by the Red Court of Vampires. He feels personally responsible, and is desperate for a way to help her. This despair has affected him to a deep level, and he's barely functioning, living in a pig-sty, and not even taking cases or taking care of himself. It was very hard to see him like that. And things don't get better for Harry. Because he ...more
Karla
4 Stars! This is urban fantasy, not romance, but I want to jump in the book, lay Harry flat out on his back, and have my way with him! What a yummy wizard!

Another stand out installment in this series. A kick-ass plot, lots of laugh out loud moments, amazing world building, and the knowledge that there will be more, more, more! Loved Billy the Werewolf and his crew! Harry can't keep his eyes in his head when the female werewolves get naked...naughty wizard!

James Marsters as narrator, makes this
David Sven
Another solid entry in the Dresden Universe. James Marsters as audio narrator has really come into his own since the first book to the point where I can't imagine anyone else being the voice of Harry Dresden. His rendition of other characters and creatures has just improved out of sight as well.

The pace of this book took a bit of a hit compared to his previous books, with a large chunk of the middle taken up with a lot of dialogue and world building. We learn a lot about the fairy courts. And I
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Another Harry Dresden audiobook, another winner! I ADORE this series!

The audiobook for this series is simply sensational! Sure, James Marsters doesn't have a wide range of voices and sure, he wetly clears his throat a lot, but you know what? I don't care! He IS Harry Dresden and DAMN does he make these books come alive.

An excellent listen and another fabulous visit to my favorite wizard of them all!
seak
Jim Butcher's Summer Knight is the fourth book in Jim Butcher's much-loved Dresden Files. I realize I'm a bit behind, but I have good reasons for this...well, maybe...

I read the first 3 a couple years ago, all back to back and I really enjoyed them at the time...the only problem was the repetition. I was getting a bit tired of hearing the same reasoning behind everything Harry does. It made sense at first...then it made less sense the more volumes I kept reading with the same descriptions.

Maybe
Stephen
3.0 stars. The Dresden files books are great fun and this is a good installment, though not quite as good as the previous 3 books. I view them as literary comfort food. Great characters and a really cool magic system make this an interesting read. Recommended.
Nicholas Karpuk
To reiterate my criticism of the series as a whole: Harry Dresden is a stupid, narcissistic, nerd (nerdcissist?) who's first impulse when it comes to problem solving is to run into the villain's lair and shout "Who's making all the bad magic!" and then get surprised when people attempt to murder him.

The cover art for all these books, and the casting choice for the television show give me the impression that Butcher views Dresden as a sort of wizardly Han Solo, a roguish figure marginalized by bo
AH
Poor Harry! When we last left our intrepid wizard in Grave Peril, he was saddened by the departure of someone close to him. Harry is now in despondent mode, barely existing. His apartment is a mess, he hasn’t worked much, and the bills are piling up. To add to his troubles, it’s raining toads. Yes, toads. And someone or a lot of someones – want him dead. Including his own Wizard Council.

I can’t believe how much action is crammed into this book. So many things happen, it’s almost hard to keep tra
Olga
Over the course of the last three books of the Dresden Files series I've come to expect Jim Butcher to give me something different every time, not just in terms of Dresden's adversaries and allies but also in terms of the difficulty of his task and the character arc. I've come to look forward to finding out what supernatural species was going to come up on the stage next. I've come to relish the smart-alec and often beat up but never beatdown Harry. I thought I had the general system all worked ...more
Monica
Though I have been reading this series very slowly, it is obvious that this series gets better as it goes. The more the reader gets to know Harry, the more sympathetic he becomes as a protagonist, and his flaws only make him seem more human and relatable. The plot has also become progressively more complex and engaging with each novel in the series, and I can't wait to read the rest of the installments of The Dresden Files!
Becky
4.5 Stars

I don't like fairies/faeries/fae. I just wanna get that out there up front. I think they are boring and oh-so-scurry with all their dancing and laughing and pipe-playing blah-de-blah. The current trend where fairies/faeries/fae are all the rage and everyone is trying to "re-think" them? Not my thing. Pass. I'm good on that.

Now I know that maybe lots of people will probably rush to defend the fairies/faeries/fae and say "They aren't all like that! Read [book] -- the fairies/faeries/fae
Sheri
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is my very favorite wizard/private eye ever. In Summer Knight, Harry is mourning Susan and having a rough time of it. He's also got other things to deal with, faeries namely. It seems that Harry just cannot catch a break. He has some people on his side, though, like the werewolves who I have grown to love, and Murphy who I also love, but ultimately it comes down to him.

What I really love about this book (and the series in general) is the emotional and persona
Obsidian
I read this series so fast I honestly don't have time to post updates. Most of them would just say things like wow. Oh my God. Wow. Seriously.

I am so glad I was told about this series through an online friend in one of the Amazon forums. I found that the pace of this book moved quite quick and we still had Harry doing his best to protect everyone but himself. Seriously sometimes I wanted to yell at Harry. If you die, you do know you can't do anything right?

Having Harry get more involved with th
Sandi
Harry Dresden collects friends. He doesn't really try, but people care about him. He doesn't even really realize how much they care about him. In "Summer Knight", he gets help from Billy the werewolf who was introduced in Fool Moon. He also has some fairies and wizards looking out for him. After sleeping away the third book, Murphy re-appears as a stronger character than ever. Now, after four books, I feel like I'm one of Harry's friends too.

I think Harry's friendships and whatever it is that ma
Mike (the Paladin)
I loved this book to, but then I loved all the Dresden books. Everyone and everything ends up at stake here and unlike so many books where "the fate of the world hangs in the balance" this one stays an absorbing page turner throughout.

You can't help but feel for Harry, the poor schmuck usually manages to get the proverbial "snot" beat (yes I know it should be "beaten out" but we're going colloquial here) out of him, before the end of the book. Sometimes the amount of punishment he takes is (as
Chris
Another good entry in the Dresden series. I didn't like it quite as well as the earlier ones, though there were moments that had really great character development. This one seemed to get bogged down a bit in Fae politics and it was hard sometimes to keep up with all the characters of the Faerie Courts.

That said, it was a very interesting take on the Fae idea. I also liked learning more about the Wizard Council, and some of the new characters introduced here were excellent. Lots of funny Dresden
Carolyn
Another excellent episode in the Dresden Files. Harry is in trouble with the White Council (the governing body of Wizards) for inadvertently starting a war between the vampires and the wizards. Now there is also trouble in Faerie land with the Summer and the Winter courts heading for war. Someone has killed the Summer Knight and is trying to blame Mab, the Winter Queen. Mab promises to anul Harry's debt to the Fae if he undertakes three challenges for him, the first being to find out who killed ...more
Jason
4 Stars

This book was just ok for me even though I did have fun reading it. This being both the fourth book in the Dresden series as well as my fourth Butcher read, I have found things to be a bit monotonous and repetitive. Couple this with the PG-13 rating that is forced upon us by Harry being a do gooder that follows the White Council rules, we are left wanting a bit more. I like the different themes each novel presents as well as the further exploits of Harry and the White Council. I just wish
Lauren
Summer Knight
3.5 Stars

An definite improvement on Grave Peril.

The world building in this installment focuses on the Fae, and more specifically, on the conflict between the Summer and Winter courts. The political machinations and allegiances of the various Fae are complex and it is difficult at times to keep track of the different characters and the factions they belong to. Nevertheless, it all comes together at the end, and the climax and resolution are exciting and satisfying.

The plot revolvin
Brandy
No puedo negar que soy fan de esta serie desde su primer título. Siempre me pareció que iba de menos a más, y ésta, la cuarta entrega, corrobora mi primera impresión.
Cuando aparece una nueva entrega en castellano de Harry Dresden soy la primera en ir en busca y captura de un ejemplar, sin embargo, aunque no tardo mucho en ponerme a leerlo, reconozco que me cuesta abrir la primera página porque siempre me queda la pregunta ¿Y si no está a la altura de los anteriores?. Por el momento, Butcher me h
Tania
Sep 10, 2014 Tania rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tania by: Shpandy Jordaan
Oh my, what fun!!! I have to agree with everyone else on GR, this series just gets better as you move through the books.

Some of the things that I enjoy most about this series:
1. Harry - yes he's a bit macho, but he also knows his own weaknesses and freely admits when he's in over his head.
2. The author's sense of humour. I know it's sometimes still a bit cheesy, but Summer Knight definitely had me chuckling out loud.
3. The pace of the stories - there's almost no time to catch your breath and I'
Richard
8/10

Another solid entry into the Harry Dresden world but not quite matching the heights of the first, or the last book for me personally. There is more world building in this novel than there has been in all the previous books combined. It felt almost like Jim Butcher knew he had an audience by this point and could really let loose and add some layers into the universe and get some solid building blocks down.

This had a two-fold effect for me though, one was; great we get a bit more depth and bac
Duchess Nicole
The Dresden Files gets just a little bit better with each installment. Maybe because while the base world building is already there, this paranormal world that Butcher has created has no limits. Anything can happen here.

In Summer Knight, Harry has been brought low by the voluntary disappearance of his girlfriend Susan. I love that while Harry is this amazing wizard with crazy awesome powers, he's still just a normal guy inside his own head. He can turn his wizard off and live normal, have normal
Sath
Harry has had a rough time of it lately, he hasn't seen his gf-turned-almost-vampire in a while, and he blames himself of course. He hasn't been working, he barely eats, he's broke, and he certainly hasn't washed. So when werewolf friend Billy books him an appointment with a client he really needs to take it. Even when it turns out it's the Winter Queen of fairy, and she wants a murder and theft investigated. It seems good and simple but you know theres going to be a catch.. poor Harry.

I actuall
Kirstine
All the while I was reading the other three books, Ágústa (my friend who recommended them) went something like: "HURRY UP! YOU HAVE TO GET TO SUMMER KNIGHT! THAT'S WHEN IT GETS REALLY GOOD!" and well.. She was right.

The last books was spent building up to this one. This is the one where shit goes down. Dresden must suffer the repercussions for his actions at the end of the book, both in the shape of a hearing in front of the Wizard council, but also emotionally. It's really quite the interestin
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
This was an enlightening installment in that we got to learn more about the major powerhouses that make up this universe: the fae, the White Council of wizards, and the vampires. I enjoyed the previous book slightly more than this one because it was high on humour, and even though SUMMER KNIGHT did have its moments, it was primarily plot driven. Additional info about Harry's past comes to light including what went wrong with his first love, Elaine, and his humble beginnings as an apprentice. Lea ...more
Sercan Vatansever
Yurt dışında her kesimden fanı olan, tüm dünyada 6,5 milyon üzerinde satan serinin Türkiye'deki vaziyetini görmek çok çok üzücü...
Ve 14. kitap hakkında spoiler aldım. Allah'ım delirmek üzereyim!

İnanılmaz derecede karışık, kafa patlatan ama aynı ölçüde zevk veren bir kitaptı. Özetini okuyacaksanız görürsünüz zaten :D
Anita Blake ve Dresden Dosyaları serileri kadar Urban Fantasy tarzını tam anlamıyla yansıtan iki seri. Bence Dresden daha iyi orası ayrı. Dresden Dosyaları serisini okuyanlar bilir. F
  • Monster Hunter Vendetta (Monster Hunter International, #2)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye #4)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • The Dresden Files: Fool Moon, Volume 1
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • B is for Bigfoot (The Dresden Files)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)

“You backbiting, poisonous, treacherous, deceitful, wicked, clever girl. If this works I'll buy you a pony.” 361 likes
“In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!” 333 likes