Start by marking “Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)

Dreamless (Starcrossed #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  23,120 ratings  ·  1,857 reviews

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure

Published May 29th 2012 by HarperCollins HarperTeen (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamless

YA Novels of 2012
22nd out of 1,284 books — 10,192 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
38th out of 2,518 books — 15,932 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
The way the first book ended makes me wanna cry. Poor Helen and Lucas. I want them to be together!

I NEED this book! Soon. Like now!! Or yesterday, whichever is best!

may 29
Patti
Simple Mathematics People: Helen is 17 years old…Ajax died 19 years ago…HOW CAN HE BE HER FATHER? They can't even subtract 17 from 19? This better get resolved early in the book.
UPDATE: GORGEOUS COVER

Oh no…a love triangle. Didn't see that coming -.- Angelini, please do it tastefully!

So this is a link to an email from Angelini that actually does clear up this date discrepancy. Thank you to Angela who emailed the author!

After reading:
I can't. Form. Comple
Circus Princess
Aug 30, 2012 Circus Princess marked it as paused-at-the-moment
Relevant.
Annabelle Marie Veronica
****FINAL RATING: 3.60 STARS****

CATCHALL
I loved Dreamless so much more than Starcrossed, although I was still disappointed with several aspects of it unfortunately. Still, it was an excellent read and I genuinely enjoyed it. I felt that it was an extremely well-done second installment and I was especially impressed by the character development.

THE HEROINE
HELEN
Helen grows a lot in this book. Unfortunately, it's a rather slow growth, and it takes a while to really get into it. She starts out uns
Michelle
Dec 29, 2011 Michelle marked it as to-read
Now that I've read Starcrossed I'm really excited about this. Hopefully Helen and Lucas will be told that they are not cousins(and why has nobody else figured it out? I could have sworn like 3 people told her that Ajax died 19 years ago and there was the picture of Jerry kissing Daphne's pregnant stomach!)
"That's All" Ash
 photo despicableme.gif

Hold on a sec while I pick my jaw up off the floor…

WOW!

I’m suffering from one GARGANTUAN (love that word) book hangover. Seriously, I’m a mess. You can’t see me right now, but my hair is doing that I’ve-never-heard-of-a-brush thing, and my clothes are direly craving the ironing board (that I never use), and my emotions are off somewhere crying in a corner begging for a shot or bottle of Tequila.

And the buttprint on my very comfy couch is getting larger. I’d like to think that the largeness of
Cait
As an unforgettable love triangle emerges...

[image error]

A........ a love triangle?!?!?!?

After spending about three weeks researching for an hour-long presentation about Helen and Paris and knowing how their relationship truly was (which I will be editing on my Starcrossed review very soon), I hate this book even more, and she had to add a love triangle into this already jumbled up, mixed up mess?!

[image error]

Nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononnononnonnononono
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
"'Please,' she sobbed quietly. 'Just kill me now.'"

Oh, Helen, my dear. I would if I could, if only so this book could end sooner and I didn't have to suffer through a month of reading it.

The main thing I can recall about reading this book is that it was so incredibly boring. It took me so long reading it, trudging through it by bits and pieces at a time because it was so completely, utterly unabsorbing. I'm always amazed at how a plot-driven book can be so dull, but this book proves that it can
Hayden Casey
Google, define "sophomore slump" for me, please.
"A sophomore slump or sophomore jinx refers to an instance in which a second, or sophomore, effort fails to live up to the standards of the first effort."

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the antithesis of a sophomore slump. Angelini steps up the action and the passion and the sizzling tension in DREAMLESS; in fact, breathing isn't an option. You'll be holding the air in your lungs and turning pages faster than you can believe.
Helen Hamilton just can't
Sarah Dieng
I am looking forward to reading this one after loving the first one. You find out near the end of the first that Daphne lied about Helen being Ajax's daughter so her and Lucas are not cousins. I just hope they found out soon that they can be together. Can't wait for this one! Great job Josephine!
Lucia
Everything I liked in first book was not present in this instalment. Moreover, author introduced new character and created love triangle. A big no-no for me!

My Lucas, Helen and Orion:

This book is excellent example of how to ruin series which had plenty of potential. So what would I recommend not to do?

*Change heroine from lovable girl into whinning self-pittying girl.

*Take away banters and interactions between hero and heroine which were the most interesting part of book #1 and which made this s
Ina
Wow....... Got to say, before, I thought this was gonna be... "Ehh..." Because of the mention of "Love Triangles" But, when I got a hold of that ARC, Wow... IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Josie cleared up a lot of messes we were talking about. such as, the cousins part, and added a very cute new character ;D
LOVED IT!!!
I stayed up all night reading it! Definite must read!!!

My review before I read this:
"A... Love.. Triangle... WTF... I now completely DETEST love triangles.. I mean, it is good
Colleen Houck
Lots of action. Another swoon worthy boy. Cool new powers. What's not to love? Very excited to move on to the last book! Can't wait to see what happens next. =)
Glass
***NOTE! review is posted on Ja čitam, a ti?

Are you, Jose Angelini, one of the descendants of, um, I don't know... Is there Greek goddess of torturing by cliffhangers? Just to make one thing clear - I wouldn't mind if you leave the love story as it is. Yes, I am that kinky.

Second book in Starcrossed series picks up where first one ended so maybe it would be good idea if you refresh your memory before you start reading. Dreamless is more focused on Helen's role in the new world she found hersel
Cora Linn
The start of this book was actually OK, for the first 10 pages or so and then it went down hill. So... Let's try something different here...

***

Hi, my name's Helen. I am the absolutely STUNNING AND PERFECT LOOKING protagonist of this book. In fact, I'm the most freaking beautiful girl in the world. No joke. The face that launched a thousand ships and all that. Doesn't matter that beauty is subject to the eyes of the beholder and different cultures have different definitions of beautiful.

Last book
Quincy
Not another love triangle!!! I truly, truly hate them. They make women look like whores and they're just so......... TRITE. (But, yes, I'm still going to read the book)
Erin
*****3.5 stars*******

Okay, so this is a toughie for me. I am a huge Starcrossed fan, it is such a well-executed, thrilling story with characters that I just absolutely fell in love with. The wait for Dreamless was a long one, so I couldn't wait to dive right in the day it was released. Honestly, though, I found myself really struggling to get back into the story, and at about 20% in I had to shelf this one for a few weeks. I finally sat down today and finished it, and I was a little disappointed
Becca
This review is going to be short and sweet. Well not so much sweet. Dreamless is like every other sequel out there (ever since Twilight came out). Girl gets in more trouble, can't be with boy she loves (I still hate this whole "we may be cousins" kick YA authors seem to be on), finds another nice boy but feels guilty for maybe having feelings for him. Another love triangle tangled mess. I know I'm being a bit harsh with this review, but it is frustrating for me as an avid YA reader to get hooked ...more
Sylvia
Oh my word I did not want this book to end. What can I say the Gods must be doing something right by giving Josephine Angelini a remarkable ability to spin a web of adventure rooted deep in mythology and tragedy. This book was an amazing follow up to Starcrossed, which I adored but had me screaming and yelling at the end in disbelief. We left off with the notion that Lucas and Helen were actually related and that the love they share and have for one another is forbidden. But we know the stinking ...more
Julianna Helms
Apr 30, 2012 Julianna Helms rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Greek mythology and literature
Quick Reaction: I should make it clear that there are many different ways to judge a book, and I'm judging Dreamless in relativity to Greek myths. Some pet peeves we see abundantly in today's literature are common and incredibly vital to Greek plots, and I must say that in both that aspect and Angelini's soothing narrative, this book certainly deserves 5 stars.

I thought I would hate Orion, but he actually turned out okay. Though Helen annoyed me a bit at some parts, she never crossed the line th
Howdy YAL
To see full review click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

Screw the format I usually follow.

I can't do it today. Not after I read this rainbow turd of a book. That's right, I said rainbow turd. And when I say rainbow turd, you know the book's shitty. If you don't want to read my entire rant about why Dreamless was even more insipid than its shitty predecessor, I'll briefly summarize why I hated it: it was way too long, the character is on the same Mary Sue level as Bethany Church, a
Sally
Irina
Edit - May 27, 2013:

A fucking love triangle ruined almost all the fucking book.
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Edit - December 31, 2011:

A love triangle?!
An unforgettable love triangle?!?!?!
Really?!
Larissa
Jun 11, 2011 Larissa marked it as to-read
I want to read this book NOW! *cry*
Leigh Herondale

I finally finished reading Dreamless by Josephine Angelini last night and I have to say that I like it as much as I liked the first one. Maybe even more. Anyway, the novel is another take on the Greek Mythology and if you're my reader then by now you should know that I simply love anything about Greek Myths.

First of all, I have to say that I appreciated Helen even more in this book. She was one bad -ass chick and I love her for that. I wanted to hug her every time
Aria (The Whimsical Reader)
MY REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK:

It's not crying because it's not entirely bad. I am not saying it's bad, its just thatI didn't enjoy this as much as I enjoyed the first book.

Read further to know why.

THE GIST

Starcrossed ended with a huge frustrating cliffhanger! Turns out Helen and Lucas were cousins imagine that?!

AfsdhgjuntwpetfpnCGTPNEGUSDBFVHAVGNOYAWERY

Okay going back, Helen is a Descender meaning she is could go down to the Underworld eventhough she isn't dead yet. Why does she have to
Kimmy
I liked the first book quite a bit (OK, so kill me out of sheer disgust). I felt that the author had a certain originality in her writing style - Angelini wasn't trying to be someone else or aspiring to be another more renowned author. The author just wrote in her very own style - no pretenses, no imitation, no fear. At least she didn't try to use flowery language to gussy up her story. I felt that it was very brave for the author to be completely herself in her debut, and certainly the book did ...more
Kristi-The Book Faery
Mar 03, 2012 Kristi-The Book Faery rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kristi-The Book Faery by: Self
I am just speechless and that never ever happens! Josephine Angelini has done it again-EPIC READ!!!

Another One-Sit-Read for me, this is the second book in the Starcrossed series and it is the second time I stayed awake most of the night to finish this fascinating story.

I am doing the pretzel dance! What is the Pretzel Dance you say? It's when every limb is crossed while jumping up and down maniacally :o] Yes, I am doing the Pretzel Dance after finishing the last page of Dreamless! Yes, it was 4
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ένα είναι σίγουρο... Η Josephine Angelini έχει έναν και μοναδικό σκοπό... να μας πεθάνει! Ω, ναι φίλοι μου! Αν έχετε διαβάσει το "Χαμένοι Θεοί" και δεν έχετε προχωρήσει ακόμα στο "Καταραμένοι Θεοί", μπορείτε να υποθέσετε από το παραπάνω σχόλιο τι σας περιμένει ή τουλάχιστον, να πάρετε μια μικρή, πολύ μικρή γεύση. Γιατί αν ήταν σχεδόν αδύνατον να αφήσεις από τα χέρια σου το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς, ξεκινώντας να διαβάζεις το δεύτερο, το πιθανότερο είναι πως θα σηκώσεις το βλέμμα σου από τις σελίδ ...more
Lili
This book was much better than its prequel. The character development, especially Hector's, was superb, the plot growth was interesting, and the new characters were enticing. I found this one to be a much easier read that I didn't want to put down.

Again, what I really adored about this book was the heavy focus on mythology. And though it was much of the same stories this time, this one had an extreme focus on the Underworld and Helen's travels in it as the Descender, as well as her meetings with
  • The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • Embers and Echoes (Wildefire, #2)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Underworld (Abandon Trilogy, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Sweet Shadows (Medusa Girls, #2)
  • A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2)
  • Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Everbound (Everneath, #2)
  • Spellcaster (Spellbound, #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Covet (The Clann, #2)
  • Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves, #3)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • A Beautiful Evil (Gods & Monsters, #2)
Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater, with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband.
More about Josephine Angelini...
Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) Goddess (Starcrossed, #3) Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1) Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5) Göttlich-Trilogie (Göttlich, #1-3)

“...try to remember that dreams do come true, but they don't come easily.” 149 likes
“You're my invisible sun, aren't you?” 118 likes