Children of the Lamp #4: Day of the Djinn Warriors

Children of the Lamp #4: Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp #4)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  3,942 ratings  ·  103 reviews
CHAPTER 30 THE DAY OF THE DJINN WARRIORS Idon'tlike this at all,” said Mr. Blunt
as they entered the huge, dark exhibition hall and climbed down into pit ...
Published October 1st 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Children of the Lamp #4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children of the Lamp #4

J.
Blah blah blah. Another mildly interesting installment in this once promising series. Other than the convenient deus ex machina devices and back stories, the only thing that seems to connect these books is the sheer amount of really thoughtless comments made by Groanin about other cultures.

I get that he's made to sound ignorant so that the children (and by extension, the audience) can learn and become cultured, but it often makes me cringe with the kind of generalizations that are made by this c...more
Mateo
Elements and style: This is the fourth book in this series. This book keeps you guessing and you keep wanting to turn the page through out the book until you finish it. It is set in New York, Babylon and Las Vegas and also in China. The protagonists are John and Phillipa Guant, their parents Mrs. and Mr. Gaunt. Nimrod, their uncle and his butler, Groanin. The antagonists are,Ifrit the head of the worst djinn tribe, his son and the warrior devils.

Plot: First, Mrs. Gaunt (John and Phillipa's mo...more
Sophie
AWESOME!! Definitely my favourite Children of the Lamp (COTL) book so far. There seemed to be a few storylines grabbing for your attention but they all linked in the end somehow. I was never bored reading this awesome book.

Things I did not like.
Sometimes P.B.Kerr seems to forget that he's writing for children and insults you by saying that anyone would know some random fact that I don't think most adults would know! On the other hand sometimes he thinks he can get away with writing random things...more
Daisy
To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with this one. I'm starting to agree with some of the other reviews I've read: I really don't know how this series is going to drag on for another three books. The storyline didn't grip me because they seemed just to be solving some kind of vague old mystery for no reason. One of the characters did say something like: "Why are we trying to solve this mystery anyway? I just want to go home and see mom. . ." then Nimrod replied: "Because, John, old mysteri...more
Shane
The story its self was pretty good. A step up from book three, for sure. I can't say it was a bad book, but it had a few tragic flaws.

First among these was the fact that he used a lot of mathematical formulaic type jazz(that's as well as I can describe it). In order to do that, the story had to stop for a few pages while he explained how the math worked...and then how the character figured it out.

Second was the fact that he used a lot of Chinese, which had to be translated.

Third was the fact t...more
Rae
1st Reactions: This book is different from Tamora Pierce which I just finished reading. In fact in the past few months, I've read 22 books by Tamora Pierce and P. B. Kerr has a different style then she does.

P. B. Kerr's books (the ones that I've read so far) are targeted to a younger audience I think I'd say. The words are more simple and there isn't as much detail as in Twilight or New Moon, but the books are still entertaining.

There is a sorta slow humor and this book is the forth in a series...more
Yvensong
Jun 26, 2009 Yvensong rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cherylllr
Recommended to Yvensong by: Darlene
This was an exciting, and well-written adventure following the Gaunt twins, two Djinn living in current day New York. As in the first three novels, we are taken on a whirlwind tour of the world and are exposed to some great geography lessons and cultural information.

What sets this one apart from the first three is that Kerr seems to have found his stride with his writing. There were times, the first three felt a little awkward, but that has disappeared in this novel. It's as though he stopped st...more
Suhaib
The average American wouldn't understand it. I mean, they would understand the plot and story, but won't grasp the concept. Don't get me wrong; for those of us who do/will understand it, it is AMAZING. The entire series is AMAZING.
Linda
I don't know what to say besides I love this YA series! I guess that it's fantasy. In this book, #4 of the Children of the Lamp, djinn twins John and Philippa race to save their mother from becoming the Blue Djinn of Babylon and forever being beyond their lives. On the way other things are happening, though. Who is stealing jade from museums all over the world? Why are ghosts being reported in museums all over the world? It ends up being another break-neck race for the twins and their Uncle Nimr...more
Jenne
Not as good as the others, or perhaps i just missed listening to the narrator!

Twins Philippa and John have only recently found out they have djinn power. A discovery that has lead to many adventures with their Uncle Nimrod. In this fourth book, in the bestselling series, the twins are up against new challenges as they race against time to save their mother from become the cold-hearted Blue Djinn of Babylon, stop the aging curse on their father and find out why museums in different countries are...more
Sam
the tale contiues, the plot thickens, and the bad guys are some how Badder. Phillipa and john are pull into another adventure, which started with them trying to get there mother, and ended up with the classic saving the world ending, except with a little twist. Being Djinn makes each adventure somewhat different, and magical. Iblis the leader of the Ifrit, uses terra cotta warriors, children, and one of his own sons, in an attempt to turn the world upside down and its john and phillipa's job to...more
Ishan
Lots of history and a humorous book with plot twists and a solemn ending.
Kate
Another fun installment in the Children of the Lamp series. There aren't a lot of deeper layers and over arching grand moral themes to these books like there are in the Harry Potter series. These are basically just fun fantasy stories for kids.
PWRL
Mar 31, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Tyler Hedge
it was REALLY CREEPY but it was probably my favorite of the 4 children of the lamp books that i have
read. And i really like the Dong Xi warriors. they are trying reunite Faustina's spirit with her body so she can be the blue djinn of Babylon instead of Layla, John and Philippa Gaunt's mother. And they have to stop the dong xi warriors from absorbing more spirits. 4th book in the children of the lamp series and my favorite one of the 4 books that i have read:)

- review by Tyler, 8.5 years old
Alyssa

- review by Tyler, 8.5 years old
Warren
Kerr needs better research into the Chinese language. Some of the descriptions and usage are wrong or awkward. Claims no such "zombie" word in Mandarin even though it could be found in Chinese mythology.

The Marco Polo history is a little interesting even though there were plot holes. The major inconsistency was that there's no explanation nor reference of the evil djinns found at the Xian site as mentioned in a previous book.

Not one of the best book in the series. (listened to story on CD)

Soňa
can't stop reading:-)

Dayna Smith
The fourth book in the Children of the Lamp series. John & Philippa set out to find Faustina's spirit and return her to her body so she can become the next Blue Djinn and their mother can come home. But nothing is ever easy, Iblis is plotting evil and his plot may destroy their plan. Can they defeat Iblis, save Faustina, themselves, and get their mother back? The ending to this installment is surprising and sets up another book in the series well. Loaded with action and suspense.
Blaine Wilson
This book is the best book PB Kerr has written. The story had some freaky parts to it. It is by far the best book from the series so far.
Lisa
Definitely the best in the series so far. There were more unexpected plot twists, more drama, more cultural variety (after Egypt in book 1, Iraq in book 2 and India and Nepal in book 3, places where djinn might be expected to go, we have Italy, China and Scotland in the same book). There was an interesting and non-transparent puzzle to solve. And I absolutely loved the two (or three) spirits sharing one body thing. Hilarious.
Lauren
I was a little hesitant to read this series at first. It sounded a little weird and a lot like a lot of other books I have read lately.

Though the writing was a little awkward at first, the stories are great. They get better with each book. I loved learning about all the countries and cultures the kids visit, and discovering about the djinn ways.

Definitely a good read.
Sara B.
This book was amazing! John and Philippa, genie twins from NYC, have to go to rescue a girl named Faustina who had her spirit separated from her body- but they can't find her body! On top of that, they need to find their mother, who nearly became an evil queen! Can John and Philippa reunite Faustina's spirit with her body AND find their mother? Read DAY OF THE DJINN WARRIORS!
Stephanie
Important portions of this story were set in Venice and in Xian, with the Terra Cotta warriors as big players, so that was really fun. The Gaunt twins are off again with their uncle Nimrod, trying to set right both a personal tragedy and the most recent (and perhaps most dastardly) plots of their nemesis as he tries to use spirits to alter the balance of luck in the world.
Laramort
There were some typo's in this book. Sometimes I wonder where the editor was. Like the last book there some plot inconsistancies that were kind of annoying. I think it was just not planning ahead and then coming up with an idea and trying to make things work around it. The ending was a little weird with Mrs. Trump and Mrs. Gaunt.
Lisa
This is a pretty good read. I've finished now, and was very satisfied with the way the subplots got tied together and resolved. Character development is not as big as action in this book. More of that happened in the first 3 books of the series. The whole series is very good! I wonder if there will be any more books in this series?!
April
Jacqueline
This is the continuing saga of John and Philippa, the djinn twins. As usual, they embark on adventures at foreign ports of call with their Uncle Nimrod. Lots of local color gives interest, and the plot moves right along. It was not awe inspiring, but I am in a hurry to get the next book to find out what happens!
Cheryl
Book 4 of the Children of the Lamp series. Young Djinn John and Philippa travel around the world trying to find the real heir of the Blue Djinn, save their father and solve the mystery of the paranormal activity. They find that the trouble will come to a head in the tome of the terracotta warriors in China.
Kate Hastings
Feb 16, 2014 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 4-7 fantasy, genies, china
RL 840. This series never gets old. LOVE IT! In this book, the twins enter the spirit realm to reunite a replacement Blue Djinn with her body. Meanwhile, something strange is going on in the spirit world, and it may have something to do with a Djinn magician and some strange zombie-like Chinese terra cotta warriors.
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, 0.5)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Found (Magic Thief, #3)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • Freefall (Tunnels, #3)
  • Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder (Leven Thumps, #5)
Also writes as Philip Kerr.

Philip Kerr (P.B. Kerr) is a British author of both adult fiction and non-fiction, most notably the Bernie Gunther series, and of children's books, particularly the Children of the Lamp series.

Kerr was educated there and at a grammar school in Northampton. He studied law at the University of Birmingham from 1974–1980, achieving a masters degree. Kerr worked as an adverti...more
More about P.B. Kerr...
The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp, #1) The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2) The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3) The Eye Of The Forest (Children Of The Lamp, #5) The Five Fakirs of Faizabad (Children of the Lamp, #6)