4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Lost in a world of white, I lay. Pain and cold were my only companions. How long would it take me to die? Would the cold freeze my heart and stop its beating?

A red plastic sled saved the day. A woman saved my life.

Unfortunately, saving my life might cost Grace her own. We get one day together, Christmas day, one day of bliss among misery. Too soon the tree is down and all...more
ebook, 1st Edition
Published November 21st 2011 by Otherworld Publications (first published November 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Whiteout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiteout

Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertComing Home by Sarah R. YoffaRemembrance by Michelle Madow
Must Buy Smashwords Books
7th out of 455 books — 420 voters
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeSilence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinShattered Souls by Mary Lindsey
Best Cover Fall/Winter 2011
129th out of 404 books — 1,610 voters

More lists with this book...

E.V.Franzmnn E.V.Franzmnn
Ok,, I just finish reading (lots of embarrassement in front of my friends from work, as usual) and now I can go back to work LoL

Full review is yet to come, but for now I'll leave you with this pic that pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about this book:

description

Yep,, I'm feeling wild and fuzzy at the same time =0)

Reviewed on 11/14/11

How can something so beautiful be so lethal?

I love winter and cold, but I’m very susceptible to it. I feel cold all the freaking time. I have to sleep with a blanket even in...more
Veronica Morfi
I really loved this book, I only wish I had saved it for christmas.

I can't really say anything about the plot, cause I'd be giving away stuff you have to discover yourself. So, I'm going to talk about other things I liked. The writing, I loved it. This short story is told completely from the guys POV and I really liked to seeing his inner thoughts. Also I loved the character of Grace, she is so fierce and gentle at the same time. One last thing: I love the cover.

I was so excited to receive this...more
Heidi
Whiteout

An icy wind whips across the frozen, arctic tundra. Its teeth leering sharp, piercing, threatening with a biting, deadly cold that screams death. Alone bleeding and huddled on the frosty snow lies a figure, awaiting an inevitable demise. Scrunch scrunch the sound of boots trudging through the quiet snowflakes penetrates his ears. Dare he hope for salvation? A glimpse of an angel, flowing black hair, kind brown eyes a voice in the freezing silence. Then the boots trail away. Death stalks...more
Jenn
This story, without a doubt has become one of my most favorite reads and that is NOT an easy feat.
There are so many aspects that made this story so enjoyable for me!
Hebert writes characters with such detail that you can envision them in your mind and find yourself thinking of them as real people that you would love to meet.
She gives you dialogue and banter that leave you both breathless and at times laughing.
Let’s not forget the suspense and action that Hebert was also able to weave into this sh...more
Sandra "Jeanz"
I really enjoyed this short story and hope it was setting the scene for another book and not a standalone short book? I loved the strong female character who could look after herself and those in her care. The way she came up with a plan and rescued the man lol. I also enjoyed the descriptions, and how you initially din't know who or what was hurt. Was it a man? a dog? I also enjoyed the interaction between the characters. There aren't many characters within this short book, but the ones that ar...more
Natshane
Thinking to self : How long it has been since my last book about shifters??

Reading Whiteout made me nostalgic, and once again I was amazed by the amount of action and romance that was packed into such a short story. It was satisfying nevertheless. The story was narrated through the shifter's POV (an extra point for that) and the story started with a hurt, disorientated dog *coughs* wolf. How can you not fall in love with this?
The story was both cute and adrenaline junkie at the same time, in fac...more
Anagha
Nov 26, 2011 Anagha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you like paranormal romance, take a look!
Recommended to Anagha by: Cambria Hebert
Shelves: posted
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/2011/1...

"The snow was endless, a heavy blanket on the outdoors; it had a way about it. A beauty. But I knew that, like many things, beauty could be deceiving."

Review: Now, I don’t normally read paranormal romance, especially not of the short story variety, but with Cambria’s style of writing, it turned out to be a very sweet little ride. Though not too original, it was well-written, nicely flowing with lots of details which made all...more
Misty
I've mentioned before that I don't really go for short stories but I'm totally glad that I did end up enjoying this one. Whilst I'd like to have known more about the back story of how our characters got to be where they are, that's just my full length novel preference coming through, but I know, I know this is a short story! And I did get into it right away and I was really intrigued to know what was happening and what was going to happen.

I really liked both the main characters as well, I could...more
Danielle Smiley
I was honored with an ARC of this amazing short story. I'm usually not a huge fan of short stories because it is hard to develop characters and the story in so few words, but Cambria Hebert delivers. From the first sentence, you are drawn into the story; the author's imagery is so vivid that you feel it. The characters feel well-rounded even in the short time we have with them and their growing affection believable. I loved every word of this work. I want more, but at the same time I don't feel...more
Cassie McCown
By: Cambria Hebert
Published November 23, 2011 by Otherworld Publications
Available Format: ebook

My Rating: ★★★★★

A blizzard has blown in and a man is dying, freezing to death in the cold. Suddenly, a savior appears, a woman with midnight black hair and chocolate eyes. Something isn’t quite right, however. Someone has a secret and someone has a shotgun. Just because the woman saves him, can the man really trust her?

I finished this one with a big ol’ smile plastered on my face. Nothing I did...more
Alexia Purdy
This is a fast paranormal read, unfolding from a shifter’s point of view as he slowly heals from being attacked out in a freezing blizzard. Saved by a mysterious lady named Grace while still in wolf form, he knows it won’t be long until his attempted murderer comes back to make sure the job was done. Fortunately, Grace has a plan and a nice shotgun!

This is about shifters, werewolves specifically, which I absolutely love! Tristan sounds like he’s a pretty hunky and Grace lets him in, even if it’s...more
Katy
Dec 14, 2011 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: ebook
The narrator of the story lies in the snow, in the cold, and ponders death – how will it come? How long will it take? Then … she arrives. She brings a sled and drags the narrator to her home, patches the narrator up, saves the narrator’s life. She also calls the narrator a dog … a dog? The narrator isn’t a dog – not hardly. What mystery is this, then?

A short, romantic paranormal story, “Whiteout” fits in with the season, having a Christmas theme behind it. I was fortunate enough to win this e-bo...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I really enjoyed reading this short story. Cambria has a writing style that I asbolutely adored.

This short story was one that left me entertained and satisfied. I am definitely looking forward to reading her novel Masquerade where I can see her writing in an extended format.

I loved the characters in this novel. Definitely recommended for those who love paranormal short stories.

For an extended review of this short story along with Before, the prequel to her novel Masquerade, please check out thi...more
Cindy
This was a really fun Wolf-Shifter stories, I always love a good one. This story had a really unique way of opening and I thought it was great. I love how Mrs. Hebert makes me fall in love with her characters. They are so wonderfully developed in such a short period of time. I found I wanted to know more about them, I didn't want it to end. Grace is so brave, and kind and at peace with herself. The wolf-shifter was full of chivalry, yet flawed, and self doubting. Great little story!

Mild language...more
The BookWhisperer
Absolutely loved this story!! At twenty eight pages I am impressed by the authors ability to create a complete and astounding story. Whiteout is a suspense novel with a twist of romance. For the paranormal lover this is a perfect little journey that will take you thirty minutes from beginning to end. While Hebert concluded this novel perfectly; readers will still feel the crave for more the wonderful story. This is an awesome display of the talent Cambria Hebert is capable of, and leave me anxi...more
Bill Talcott
In an age where we all seem to be a lot busier than we really need to be, Cambria Herbert comes up with a short story that is told in a way that brings the reader into it quickly. And for someone who lacks a lot of free time lately, it was a pleasure to be able to jump into a good story and complete it without worrying about when I would be able to pick it up again. I would like to see more short stories from good writers like Cambria that would fit into a person's busy schedule. Thank you Cambr...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
If there is one thing I have learned since picking up my first book written by Cambria Hebert is that her stories are going to be beautifully written and full of rich detail that make you feel like you you just stepped into the pages.

This novella is no different.

And can I just say that I didn't expect the little twist in the story? I love that!

This is a great short story that will leave you completely satisfied with the ending and leave a smile on your face.
Kim
I just love the cover! I usually have a hard time getting into short stories and figuring out how to rate them but I really enjoyed this one. At first I was confused about what was going on but things were cleared up as the story went on. I actually really like books like that where stuff isn't blantantly obvious from the get go. Plus add in action and romance. It was an all around great little story. I look forward to reading more from Cambria Hebert.
Becky
I loved this short story, I just wish there was more...
Tricia Kristufek

I opened my mouth to begin but she held up a hand. “First let me get you some pants.”

Alone in a world of white, Tristan was left to die. Was supposed to die, until Grace and a little red sled saved him. Caring for him without knowing what he truly is, Grace finds out the hard way that things just aren't as they seem.

This tidy little story is fu...more
Suki Michelle
A lovely story artfully told. Cambria Hebert unwinds this simple tale in such a way that each turn of events comes at the perfect goose-bumpy moment. Grace is a perceptive woman, intelligent, and very open minded. She adapts immediately to most unusual circumstances, and her life-saving resourcefulness gave me a nice little ah-ha! moment once her motivation became clear. I'd like to talk about the male protagonist, but I won't risk ruining one of the more satisfying reveals in the story.

This is...more
Shambhawi P.
This is a Cambria Hebert book.

You'd be surprised by how many of my reviews for this author's writings start with this line.

That about sums up all I have to say about this book. Really.

This is a short story. The plot is simple, the story is sweet and nice. I was prolly expecting it to be more gory and less sweet because of that book trailer but it was nice nonetheless.

3.5 Nice Stars I should really think of other adjectives than nice.
Julie
Wow, this is the second short story I've read from Cambria Hebert and I am intrigued by her writing. Even with the short number of pages, the story has a nice plot and conclusion. Although the story ended to my liking, I would have loved to have kept reading. Whiteout would make an interesting book. After reading Whiteout and Before, I will definitely be checking out this author's other work.

The best short story I've read in a while!
Petra
I loved the beginning. It was kind of raw in a poetic way. That always works with me. There were some nice surprising moments, and it was slightly thriller-ish.
On one hand the romance seemed a little bit rushed, but on the other it felt actually right. I would definitely read more about these characters, they were likeable! The setting was perfect.

Vered
A good storyteller can create a world, turn paper and ink into fleshed-out characters and pull you in so you forget your own life for a while. But it takes a very good storyteller to do all that in a few pages. Cambia did that in this paranormal short story. Although short, there were enough twists and surprises to leave me thinking at the end: where’s the next one?! I will say no more, except: read it.
Carrie Bliss
great book but short..only 35 pages
Debbie
Cute very short story. I love the Take It Off Series so thought I'd give this story a try. It's short, but is cute and has a HEA.
Jessica
I loved this short story! It was cute, sweet, and fun. I love shifters, shotguns and Christmas, so how could I not love this story!
Cindy Rawlings
What can I say other than what I've said before...Cambria Hebert is a very gifted author. I really enjoyed this short story. :)
Allana Kephart
Jan 07, 2013 Allana Kephart marked it as to-read
Shelves: utopya-con-2013
Really really REALLY want to read this and cannot find it anywhere.

Somebody halllppppp.
  • Soul Sisters (Soul Sisters, #1)
  • Children of the Flower Power
  • Agartha's Castaway
  • Flight (I Am Just Junco, #3)
  • Summer Night (The Witchling, #1.5)
  • Echo of an Earth Angel (Earth Angel Trilogy, #1)
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Witch Hunt (Hayle Coven, #2)
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • Read the Flower: The Beautiful Beginning (Fleur Passages #1)
  • God's Eye
  • Don't Kill Dinner (The Rules, #1)
  • Erin the Fire Goddess: The Beginning
  • Chosen (Daughters of the Sea #3)
  • Amulet of Elusion (The Lost Amulet Chronicles, #1)
  • Silver Mortal (The Gracen Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hunted (The Hunted #1)
  • Wingless (Wingless, #1)

Cambria Hebert is a latte sipping author of the Heven & Hell series, the Death Escorts series, and the Take It Off series. She loves a caramel latte, hates math and is afraid of chickens (yes, chickens). She went to college for a bachelor’s degree, couldn’t pick a major and ended up with a degree in cosmetology. So rest assured her characters will always have good hair. She currently lives in...more
More about Cambria Hebert...
Torch (Take It Off, #1) Text (Take It Off, #4) Tease (Take It Off, #2) Tipsy (Take It Off, #5) Masquerade (Heven and Hell, #1)

“The snow was endless, a heavy blanket on the outdoors; it had a way about it. A beauty. But I knew that, like many things, beauty could be deceiving.” 38 likes
“I shut the door and waited to see what she would do. To my surprise she lowered the gun but kept it in her hands. “I’ll give you five minutes to explain.”

4 likes