A Regency Holiday

A Regency Holiday

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  32 reviews
FOUR Favorite Regency Authors
-- THREE never-before-in-print Christmas novellas
-- ONE beloved classic now back in print . . .
and a partridge in a pear tree . . .

In Coventry's Christmas, Rebecca Hagan Lee offers a charming new story. With Christmas approaching, Amabel Thurston is ordered from the family home by her father's widow and must seek the protection of her guardian...more
Published October 24th 2011 by Bell Bridge Books

Ruth
This was a lovely collection of four novellas with Christmas themes, provided by netgalley. As with all such collections, the quality was variable, but on-the-whole this was a really enjoyable read.

The best stories were the last two, and my least favorite the first one.

1st book - Coventry's Christmas by Rebecca Hagan Lee

The premise is actually solid, and both the hero and heroine rather likeable characters. Unfortunately, there were a few things which let it down for me. There were some minor hi...more
Janga
I love Christmas anthologies, and I really miss the ones Signet used to publish every year. So I was excited when I saw this new Regency release from Bell Bridge Books in NetGalley’s catalog. The anthology contains four stories, three of them never before published. It is a typical anthology in two ways: Some stories are stronger than others, and some stories seem truncated, as if development were sacrificed for the limitations of novella length.

“Coventry’s Christmas” by Rebecca Hagan Lee
Amabel...more
Rhonda
Review: A Regency Holiday A Christmas Regency Anthology by Lynn Kerstan
Coventry's Christmas by Rebecca Hagan Lee
The first story touched me to tears at one point.
Amabel Thurston was asked by her stepmother to leave her family home right before Christmas. She went on the mail coach to Coventry Court. Marquess of Coventry was her guardian but he did not realize it and closed his country home and lone home for Christmas. He does not celebrate Christmas.
Deverel Brookfield goes to a brothel every yea...more
Joanne
A Regency Christmas quartet. This is a fun, light read perfect for the Christmas season. As in most novellas the couples fall in love very quickly but this is to be expected in the space allotted; although I think the one day it takes in the first story is too rapid. In fact I think the first story would have been better as a full length book so there could have been more story development; the characters are strong enough to carry the longer length. It seemed to be the start and end of a book w...more
Shari Larsen
Authors: Rebecca Hagan, Lynn Kerstan, Allison Lane, Alicia Rasley

This is a collection of 4 short stories, taking place in Regency Era England during the Christmas season.

In Coventry's Christmas, Amy Thurston is ordered from her family home by her father's widow, and seeks the protection of her guardian, Deverel Brookfield. Unfortunately, Deveral was unaware of the arrangement until Amy shows up on unexpectedly, and Deveral is a man with little use for proper young ladies, or for Christmas.

In Sta...more
Jennifer Peterson
One thing I like about reading books through a review service like NetGalley is finding new authors that I end up liking, new genres that broaden my horizons, and finding common threads between authors. This was true with my latest book - another anthology, which I usually don't read, by 4 authors I hadn't heard of before.

A Regency Christmas is an anthology of 4 Regency-era Christmas stories: "Coventry's Christmas" by Rebecca Hagan Lee; "Star of Wonder" by Lynn Kerstan; "A Christmas Homecoming"...more
Becky
A Regency Holiday is a solid collection of Christmastime novellas. The four have a bit of a rushed feel in parts, understandably due to their shortened size, but the overall effect of each is still a well-written story that leaves you with a warm glow. They all take place around the Christmas season, but they don't smack you in the face with overly saccharine seasonal sweetness, or use Christmas as an eye-rollingly obvious plot device, which is nice. I've made it a point to try and read Christma...more
heidi
Hands-down the best Christmas anthology I've read this year.

I finished the first story and called up my mother to make sure this book was on her reading list. In involved a lady of negotiable virtue, a bluestocking, and a marriage proposal in five languages. It's like kryptonite for me.

That story alone would have made the book worthwhile, but the other three stories were also pretty darn good. I wished for all of them to be a bit longer, which is a good sign that I was engaged in the worlds.

The...more
Aimee
This is a collection of four delightful stories that will get you into the Christmas spirit. All four stories are short but sweet and the final story, Home for Christmas by Alicia Rasley, was particularly good. It is about a man and woman, Verity and Justin, who have just met and pretend that they are married to save her reputation and protect her daughter. The scenes with Justin and Verity's daughter are really wonderful and I really enjoyed this story a lot.

The only thing that bothered me abo...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Four novellas focusing on the Christmas season set during the Regency period in England.

Coventry's Christmas by Rebecca Hagan Lee
Suffolk, Buckinghamshire, and London in England, December 1813

Star of Wonder by Lynn Kerstan
North Yorkshire Dales, December 1819

A Christmas Homecoming by Susan Pace
December 1814

Home for Christmas by Alicia Rasley
Near Plymouth, December 1818

This Regency Christmas collection is a swift read to enjoy during the month of December. The author capture various Regency theme...more
Margaret Metz
This one broke a couple "rules" for me. I don't normally read Christmas books - but this collection felt more like stories that happened at Christmas rather than Christmas stories, if you know what I mean. I also don't always like novellas. Sometimes they're good and sometimes they seem too short for real character development. These got better as they went along. I liked the time period, though some seemed more accurate than others. They are all clean too - though in the first one the hero star...more
Brandy
I was in the mood for a little Christmas romance, and these stories hit the spot. Coventry's Christmas by Rebecca Hagan Lee was a very strong start for the collection, and I was delighted by how so many small things brought the hero and heroine together. The middle two stories were good but didn't feel as complete as the first and last stories. The last story was a reprint I hadn't read before, Home for Christmas by Alicia Rasley, and I'm going to have to seek out more of her work. Her story som...more
Tonileg
This was free for the kindle and it is the season so I was tempted once again with the freebies. This time I was not disappointed. Four sweet and different historical English romance short stories. The bedroom door stays closed in these stories but there is plenty of foreplay fun. The quality of the four stories are not equal so beware, but it was free so I just skipped ahead. I enjoyed the treasure hunt (second story) and the last story about make-believe becoming reality.
2 stars.
TJ
Actually the synopsis is much better than the book itself but because it is Christmas and we must be filled with the Christmas spirit, I gave the gift of three stars, although two of the stories fell short of even that. Still, if you want light, not really believable, Christmas fluff by the fireside, this one is as good as any.
Kathryn
I got this as a Kindle Freebie. There are 4 novellas in the book and the first three were pretty good but I loved the last one by Alicia Rasley. I will be looking up some more of her books. In the first book there was a lot of talk about how much sex the main guy had but no actual sex, but other than that, it was clean.
Loverlypurple
I really enjoyed all four stories. They were all stories I wish wouldn't end as I enjoyed all the very likable characters and they all were easy to get attached to. At the end of the fourth story (which I think was my favorite) I was left feeling very happy and will be looking for more books from this author.
Karen M
I have discovered I enjoy yet another genre. A Regency Holiday is pure romance and fun. You know each of the couples in these short stories will end up together but the path to 'happily ever after' is what makes it interesting. Each story is completely different and very enjoyable.
Jeffrey Rasley
As my last name will indicate, I am prejudiced in favor of the last story by Alicia Rasley, "Home for Christmas". It is light and lively, yet touching. There is enough suspense and tension to keep the pages turning, while a sweet romance develops.
Janet McCord
A compilation of 4 short Regency Christmas novellas that was fun to read and certainly fits the bill of light holiday reading. Some were better and more engrossing than others but all in all, a good choice for a winter's diversion.
ReadingWench
Like Janga, another reviewer said "I love Christmas anthologies, and I really miss the ones Signet used to publish every year"

I can't agree more.

Anna
I always like reading Christmas stories during the holidays, and this was a pleasant collection of holiday historical romances. Good but not great.
Shannon Donnelly
Delightful Christmas stories -- Alicia Rasley's novella is the outstanding gem in this book, but all the stories are charming and fun.
Shawna Hansen
Great stories - quick, and full of the holiday spirit and energy. Romance just the way it should be for a Regency Holiday!
Jean
Although, you always knew what was going to happen, this collection was a fun way to had some romance to your holiday reading.
GONZA
4 nice stories settled in regency christmas
THANKS TO NETGALLEY and BELL BRIDGE BOOKS for the preview
Susannah Carleton
Four stories, three very good, one not as good, but all enjoyable. My favorite was Allison Lane's.
Judy
Four "regency" romances, centered around the Christmas season. I enjoyed them.
Beeface
Two were okay... and the other two were really not very interesting.
Cathy
I love this book, could have been longer
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Twas the Night
  • The Countess (Bride Quest, #4)
  • Mary's Son
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More!
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Holiday Rush
  • Before the Season Ends
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie, #4.5)
  • The Journey: Walking the Road to Bethlehem
  • A Home For Christmas (Angel Ridge, #2)
  • Home for Christmas (The Perfect Gift)
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • The Santa Shop
  • Texas Hold Him
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • The French Maid
Allison Lane is the author of 20 Regency novels and 6 novellas. She is a Holt Medallion Winner and the 2005 Romantic Times Career Achievement Award Winner, as well as National Readers' Choice Awards Finalist for three books.

Notes from Allison Lane:

I am not one of those who always wanted to be a writer, though I suspect I wanted to be just about everything else -- doctor, astronaut, artist, scienti...more
More about Allison Lane...
The Rake and the Wallflower The Rake's Rainbow Birds of a Feather (Bird #2) A Bird in Hand (Bird #1) The Notorious Widow