Apocalypse Now Journal

Apocalypse Now Journal

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In the spring of 1976, the film-maker, Francis Ford Coppola, and his family left California for the Philippines, where the film "Apocalypse Now" was to be filmed. In this book Coppola's wife records the events of a period which stretched from months into years.

"It may be the most lucid account of the strain of epic moviemaking that we'll ever get. At its center there's a...more
paperback
Published 2011 by Sonatine (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Apocalypse Now Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalypse Now Journal

Natalie
Much better than "Notes on a Life," also by E. Coppola. In that one, which I read in one day while sitting on a Cape Cod beach, I was disappointed with E.'s whining & lack of self-realization, though I understand it's hard to be in the shadow of a very overpowering, passionate husband. I did (do?) respect E.'s reflective spirit, her devotion to her wonderful, funny children, and her knack for making even the most ordinary observations sound simple and interesting, unadorned but true. I love...more
Ricardo
Yo sabía que ella había filmado un documental, pero no que había escrito un diario. Pues es apasionante. Arranca con un prólogo donde pauta las negociaciones sostenidas cuando se iba conformando el reparto. Y luego viene el diario propiamente dicho, el diario de la esposa americana de un director superconsagrado que de buenas a primera se ve instalada en las Filipinas con sus 3 hijos. Allí le piden que se haga cargo de un documental. Eleanor nunca había hecho tomado una cámara y empieza a escrib...more
Sandi Mann
Jun 06, 2014 Sandi Mann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: movie-lovers
excellent as a record of the making of the movie, fascinating details.
Denice
Loving Eleanor's inside look at the making of such an iconic movie. Very profound insight on Francis Ford Coppola's process, " ...The themes are about themes [Francis] is in the process of working out within himself [at that moment in time], rather than from things he has resolved and can be detached and objective about."
Sarajennifer
Eleanor Coppola is now one of my personal heros. This book is a MUST read! Especially if you are a mother and/or are married and in the arts world. It is touching and very deep as well as a brilliant account of what the Coppolas went through to bring A.N. to life. This woman is amazing in her clarity.
Charles
Magnificent behind the scenes perspective on the making of a great film!
Susan
This is currently one of my favorite books. I love her detached outsiders perspective on her everything from her sandals to Marlon Brando. Unadorned honesty.
Maureen
I'm loving this book so far! Lots of backstory into the filming of one of my favorite movies.
Jonathan
A book that will make you want to see the Apocalypse Now again.
Jean-Pascal
Pour les passionnés du film mais pas seulement.
MacDara Conroy
MacDara Conroy is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Bubbly
Bubbly is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2014
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Miriam
Miriam added it
Jul 05, 2014
Carlos Eguren
Carlos Eguren is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Punch
Punch marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014