4000 Miles

4000 Miles

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  13 reviews
After suffering a major loss while he was on a cross-country bike trip, 21 year-old Leo seeks solace from his feisty 91 year-old grandmother Vera in her West Village apartment. Over the course of a single month, these unlikely roommates infuriate, bewilder, and ultimately reach each other. 4000 Miles looks at how two outsiders find their way in today's world.
Published June 2011

Jessica Barkl
I can't really put my finger on what I really thought of this play...I loved the characters and the antithesis of the leads. I'm also a sucker for old lady roles; I just have a long time until I can play them. It's a funny play, too, because I know Vera in the form of my friend Marj and I know the character Leo in the form of many of the guys I grew up with in Northern Idaho; this sort of community of people who flout the "plugged in" age and ride their bikes everywhere. Lately, my boyfriend has...more
Dave Wright
I like the ambiguity of this play. There are many unanswered questions, or, more accurately, questions the audience is left to answer for itself.

One it's surface, the play might appear to be largely the grandmother's story but that is misleading. The grandmother's character is rich and multi-layered but most of this story is laid out in the text. The grandson's character, however, is more enigmatic. An actor playing that role has to make significant decisions about the meaning of events alluded...more
Jack Becker
As somebody mentioned before, it is a great acting vehicle. Great characters, great moments, but nothing stuck with me . After reading previous plays I've tended to just stare at the ceiling for a while to process it, and normally that means me struggling with myself to not let what I've just read take over my life because it was so good. With this one, though, I just finished it and picked up another book, hoping to find something there.
Franny
I found 4000 Miles a much more enjoyable play than After the Revolution, as the characters were far more likable. The events of the play are bookended by two deaths in Leo's life, giving the story some sense of unity. Yet it was lacking in substantial plot and felt slow at times, meandering towards a rather disappointing finish. It was an okay read, but nothing remarkable.
Andrew
For a story so short, it covers a lot of emotion and crafts well defined characters no matter how small they are. There is one scene were a character talks about a bike ride and his camera that is one of the best monologues I've ever read. I highly recommend this play.
Kendra Carlson
Exquisite and genuine dialogue with delicate relationships portrayed. And yet I finished it feeling dissatisfied.
Yourfiendmrjones
An interesting study of two sides of a two generation gap of rebels. A grandmother who was a leftist/progressive and her grandson, an "Occupy"-era, free-thinker. I kept thinking how slight the story was, even with a first-act reveal of foolish, damaging impropriety. But, it is more about behavior between and of the two characters than plot points. Ultimately, like any play, how well it will work for anyone will be in how it is realized in a theatrical setting, not how it translates for a reader.
Scott
Jun 12, 2012 Scott rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
I think 4000 Miles is a great acting vehicle. There are some nice moments and believable dialogue. The relationships are all convincing and interesting.

That being said, nothing really sticks with me. You know how books make you think? this one didn't really. It just reminded me of an exboyfriend. Maybe it's because I kept thinking "I dated that guy" that I didn't walk away from 4000 Miles with any thought deeper than "hmm."
Chuck O'Connor
Fascinating relationship but I don't know if it says anything of a universal nature. I was hoping for that with the weight of the character's histories. It seems I kept waiting for a theme to surface. None did. Good characters though and clever dialogue.
Jeremy Martens
SO GOOD. Amy and Annie Baker are my favorite contemporary playwrights. Their stories are so simple, yet so deep. I love the way they write. Love love love.
Chambers Stevens
Love love love this play!!
Great scenes.
And the characters are so human.
Amy Herzog is a playwright to look out for.
Martha Garvey

Seemingly small story with a very big heart.
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Verona
Verona marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jacob
Jacob added it
Jun 27, 2014
Araceli
Araceli marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Julian Pham
Julian Pham is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Rose
Rose added it
Jun 03, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
After the Revolution After the Revolution and 4000 Miles: Two Plays Belleville The Great God Pan Knit to Flatter: The only instructions you'll ever need to knit sweaters that make you look good and feel great!