Start by marking “Write that book already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now” as Want to Read:
Write that book already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now

Write that book already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now

From the foreword by Maya Angelou:
"[T]he joy they promise in their prose makes me glad that I and other writers have been willing to make good writing our aim, and even great writing our dream."

"How do I get my book published?"

Good question. Lucky for you, publishing insiders Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark have laid out the blueprint for what you want - your book. From

Published (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Write that book already!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write that book already!

Austin Neaves
Jan 13, 2011 Austin Neaves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
I know many of the people I network with are writing books and for many of you (including myself), it's your first novel. I recently read a book many of you will find helpful.

Anytime you do something for the first time, you come across aspects of the task that are unfamiliar. This is where books come in handy. "Write that Book Already!" by Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark, is a wonderfully informative book about the business aspect of publishing a book.

It takes you through all the steps and an
Jamie
Aug 02, 2012 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I won this as a free copy through the Goodreads Firstreads giveaways
program, from the author himself. However, over 2 months later I have not received the book so I am unable to review further until (or if) I receive the book. Unfortunately, part of the request for these giveaways is a review of said book so here is all I get to say.

That being said, I have heard that it is not considered a proper review unless its at least two paragraphs so my rambling...3 weeks ago (just shy of the giveaway be
Yvensong
3 1/2 Stars

A How-to book covering the aspects of getting published. There is great information in the book for every new author, whether writing a piece of fiction or non-fiction. This is easy to read and the advice given is easy to follow if one does so diligently.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the market is in constant flux, and much of the advice given may no longer be valid in a couple of years. Possibly even in a year. With that in mind, a new author can still pick up some valua
Ixris
Mar 30, 2012 Ixris rated it really liked it
How-to-write books. I read way too many of these.

This is actually one of the better 'how to write' books I've read. I didn't have a lot of faith in it - the humor's a lot forced at parts and it starts out really slow - but it surprised me. It's less focused on craft and much more on the business of writing and selling books. Which I find devoutly fascinating. :) It breaks down the industry to all the moving parts, lets you see and understand what's expected of you as an emergent author, and what
Shasta Matova
Apr 14, 2014 Shasta Matova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
This book doesn't teach you how to write, but it gives great insight to the publishing world, and shows you how to get that book published. It discusses the process of getting something published, and even gives you ideas about trying self publishing. The self publishing part is pretty thin, but since that is changing rapidly and I am more familiar with it, I needed the info about publishing companies anyway.
Caitlin
Feb 05, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Write that book already!"--by the title, one might think that this was a guide for writing a book. A motivational guide or step-by-step how-to. Instead, it's a guide for getting published. You'd know that if you can read the subtitle, but if you are perusing your ebook library, you might not be able to see the subtitle, and you might just start reading and wonder when, if ever, the text actually gets to the point.

I found this ebook on my Kindle app, which I haven't used in a couple of years. Wh
M.G. Camacho
Mar 04, 2013 M.G. Camacho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an unpublished writer myself, this book is truly inspiring in the sense that the authors explain (in layman terms) what goes on after the writer types "The End" on their manuscripts and starts the campaign to find a kick ass agent to represent you and your book, what an agent does, what an editor from a publishing house does, who the other important people are and what they do to get your book out.

The book is evenly sprinkled with light humor so reading this guide or overview to publication i
Donald
I was selected to receive this on October 11, 2010 through the giveaway program.

The cover of this title is colorful and smartly designed to attract attention. It also name-drops like crazy. It touts a foreword written by Maya Angelou and claims original insights from the likes of Stephen King, Amy Tan, Dave Barry, and more.

As a cheerleading text, it is a page turner.

There is no magic formula for writing a book, or for getting published. Each day the writer must write. And when it has all been co
Angela Blount
3 1/2 stars or so -- pretty good, as far as instructional books go.

I think the very first recommendation nailed it when they called this book a 'Publishing Primer.' Filled with easy-to-understand perspective and practical advice, it's definitely worth a read by anyone who's finished a manuscript and is wondering what the next steps are and should be if they hope to succeed on the lengthy path to publication. Appendix 2 contains a comprehensive overview of the entire process.

While the first five
Anastasia
Feb 11, 2017 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't say this is the best book in the market of publishing advice but it did contain some useful nuggets of information. I found the websites helpful and jotted them down in my journal.
Cathrine Bonham
Nov 12, 2011 Cathrine Bonham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring Authors
Shelves: writers-help
What a Great introduction to the publishing buisness for the beginning writer. This book explains everything from why you should have an agent and how to get one to how to handle the book tour and why you shouldn't cry if you don't get to go on one.

The writting was very readable and humorous. The Authors (plural not a typo) easy going style and obvious expiriance gives this instructional book a very narrative feel. It read almost like a second person story about someone (YOU) going through the w
Amber
Oct 15, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to find out more about writing. Reading this book gave me enough reading recommendations to fill out my Amazon wish list for a year and keep my e-library list stacked to the next belt buckle. This book is where I became obsessed with Amy Tan, curious about Stephen King writing non-horror and reminded of Anne Lamott.

I think my favorite part of the interviews with popular authors were where they spoke of their favorite authors and books. They grant each other a great deal of mutual r
Peggy
Oct 14, 2010 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Just when I said that I wasn't going to read anymore "how to" books, along came another one. This book was suggested reading for an upcoming workshop that I'll be attending. Most of the advice I had heard before. My favorite sections came at the end of the book: authors' suggestions for books on writing, and books that authors give as gifts. The co-authors of this book have been members of the rock group, The Rock Bottom Remainders (other members include Stephen King, Dave Barry, and Amy Tan, to ...more
Melissa Hazelwood
Jan 31, 2015 Melissa Hazelwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know how wonderful it would feel to have our own cheering squad. Or if there were guidelines and side posts for what we have to do as a writer. Novelist. And there are so many books out there, it is hard to choose one that would give salient advice. Well try this one. It offers advice from well-known authors who have done what you, I mean we are trying to do. Plus it breaks down the whole business of what happens when a book is created, accepted...etc.
J.C. Hart
Nov 26, 2011 J.C. Hart rated it liked it
A quick, easy and amusing read with lots of good information about a writers path to publication. I had assumed it was going to be more about writing a book (from the first part of the title), but it's actually more about getting published. Definitely recommend for those who are new to the writing thing and haven't spent lots of time reading blogs/researching.
Nicole G.
Nov 09, 2011 Nicole G. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I've read a few "books about writing," and this one was pretty good. A bit of humor, and I learned some new publishing terms. Now, if I could actually get my gumption back TO write something other than blog entries . . . but that's not their fault. I also enjoyed the suggestions from authors of books to read, about writing and otherwise.
J.P.
Jan 30, 2012 J.P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, informative and entertaining primer for all aspects of writing and getting published. Probably nothing new here for old hats, but for my first, i found it useful. I especially enjoyed the bit at the end with current writer suggested readings.
Brian Borgford
Jul 14, 2012 Brian Borgford rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring writers
Good overview of how to get your book out there. Not really a step by step how to, but it gives you the big picture. Folksy descriptions of the publishing process to give you an appreciation of the struggle to publish. Worth reading, but it will not change your life.
Casey
Jan 05, 2011 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative and enjoyable to read, this book walks an aspiring writer through the post-writing process. It provides just the right combination of encouragement and cautioning for anyone about to take that first step into authorship. I would definitely recommend it to any yet-unpublished writers.
K.M.
Mar 13, 2012 K.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This was a great book to read but I think the title was a little misleading. I didn't think anything in it would (or did) help me make any forward progress in finishing my book but if my book WAS finished, it would have been helpful in deciding what my next step might be.
Abby Thorne
This is a good resource for aspiring authors who want to learn more about the publishing field and what it takes to be a writer.
Carol Lorenc
Lots of insight. A good informative read
Kathyanngallagher
This book def helped with direction on how to start the book publishing process all the way to the finish line. The corny jokes were more annoying than funny, but C+ for the effort.
Erin
Jun 27, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In progress...
Tameeka Mo'Nique C'Mor Kitt'e
Alright gheesh lol no but if your an aspiring writer this is a good read for inspiration and gives you that PUSH, very informative info
Robert
Apr 01, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good resource for new writers. Writing is humorous, sometimes annoying, but an easy read with lots of good info.
Echo Garrett
Feb 06, 2011 Echo Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring authors/writers
An easy and inspiring read with lots of practical advice and real world examples of well-known authors who went through challenges getting their works published.
Margaret Metz
Oct 02, 2010 Margaret Metz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This was an informational and entertaining read. It's great when the books you read to help you learn and grow as a writer also make you smile. :o)
Brad Burch
Sep 12, 2010 Brad Burch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is an easy read and SEEMS to be packed full of suggestions for getting published - we'll see over the next few months!
Kelly
Jan 17, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real-life advice for aspiring writers and the writer-curious. a good dose of "tough love" so that you are not disallusioned by the industry.
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • Getting the Words Right
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Plots, Characters and Complications
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • The Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Write Good or Die
  • Robert's Rules Of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story that Sells
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-by-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • The Weekend Novelist
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • How I Wrote My First Book: the story behind the story
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Description & Setting
Sam Barry is editor of and a contributor to Hard Listening: The Greatest Rock Band Ever (of Authors) Tells All (Coliloquy; June, 2013), by Dave Barry, Sam Barry, Amy Tan, Scott Turow, Roy Blount Jr., Greg Iles, Stephen King, James McBride, Mitch Albom, Ridley Pearson, Matt Groening, Ted Habte-Gabr, and rock legend Roger McGuinn. He is the author of How to Play the Harmonica: and Other Life Lessons ...more
More about Sam Barry...

“Start writing, and the muse will come. Not every time, but keep at it, and the muse will come enough for you to get the initial writing done.” 1 likes
“We write to tell a story, to describe an event, to imagine or explain what has been or will happen, to warn or touch or inspire. We write to express our most profound emotions—love and hatred, joy and sorrow, humor and sadness.” 1 likes