Mother, Brother, Lover: Selected Lyrics

Mother, Brother, Lover: Selected Lyrics

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Jarvis Cocker is widely regarded as one of the most original and memorable lyricists and performers of the last three decades. Here, for the first time, is a selection of sixty-six lyrics, presented with commentary and an introduction by the man himself.

In this volume, readers (and Pulp fans) will find such classic Jarvis lyrics as ‘Common People’, ‘Disco 2000’, ‘Babies’,...more
Published (first published October 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mother, Brother, Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother, Brother, Lover

Tosh
This sounds like an insult, but its a compliment. Jarvis Cocker is a low-rent Noel Coward. I am a huge fan of song lyrics turned into books. Some of my favorite are Cole Porter and Ira Gershwin. There is something sweet about reading lyrics away from the music world - and into the world of books. Of course the works were originally meant to be with the melody, but by reading the lyrics as text, it gives the work another dimension.

"Mother, Brother, Lover" is almost an non-literal diary for Cocke...more
Niklas Pivic
A very lovely read, not only considering Jarvis' wonderful insights into the songs - all collected at the back of the book - but for the weirdness of reading the lyrics while not listening to the songs (which goes against the Cocker ethos of never simultaneously reading the lyrics whilst listening).

An indie-and-pop-loving child of the 90s, I engulfed "Different Class" when it came out in all its forms, even bought some Pulp deluxes, but this volume speaks heaps. It's nicely formatted, and readin...more
Antonomasia
Why only 4 stars from a big fan of Pulp and Jarvis, and who likes the design of the book?

I would have liked more explanatory notes and background stories, mostly. There are some of course, but far more about a few songs than about most of them - 38 pages of notes for 70 songs (including several pages of a story Jarvis wrote for Time Out).

Also, the lyric selection, whilst generally good, sometimes misses the mark. Apparently Jarvis doesn't like a lot of his earlier material even though many othe...more
Victoria
Utterly absorbing to have Jarvis's best lyrics presented together to get lost in for a few hours. Reading them without the melody brings new appreciation of just what clever social commentary he provides. I really enjoyed the insights into his thoughts when writing some of them, but felt a couple were a bit desultory, and I would have liked more (every fab would). I thought the majority were quite insightful though and he does explain that he hates writing them, so fair enough for not being abou...more
Martha
Jarvis Cocker. Lyrical Genius. Fact.
SZ
There are some lyrics out there that are poetry to me, even when they've been stripped away from the music. Cocker's songs are no exception: you read a bit of Simon Armitage (especially poems like "You're Beautiful") and there are definite real parallels between the words those two men put together. All that work is a monumental product of that time that will stand the test of time as well. That is poetry. Great poetry.

This book is worth reading (as well as going on Songmeanings.net & seeing...more
Alexandra
Ok. For me it was a trip to my youth. The songs that i used to sing and dance to, gathered in a book. I found myself sing the lyrics as i was reading th book. And the stories/explanations at the back of the book were really interesting. As a big Pulp and Jarvis Cocker fan, it was one of the best things i could read. And the good thing is that the lyrics work really nice as poems when you take the music away from them.
Socialbookshelves.com
If I classified this as poetry, it's because it is - lyrics and poetry already have an intertwining relationship, except for with artists like, say, Rihanna. This book was published by Faber & Faber, a publisher that was known for its love of poetry and was even edited, at one stage, by T. S. Eliot.

As strange as it sounds, though, Pulp's lyrics really do read like poetry, and if you didn't recognise the songs then you could easily believe it. It's strange, but I was never a massive fan of Pu...more
Elena Stolby
As much as I love Jarvis, to me this booked seemed like yet another way to sell the same thing again, and I don't like to feel I've been tricked. His lyrics are truly amazing, and Jarvis himself claims they are of no more importance for a song than a drum solo or any other instrument. So then why publish them? Those who love Pulp will enjoy it and I doubt that anyone else would be interested in purchasing this book, but be prepared to feel a bit deceived unless you just love reading lyrics from...more
Rene Portanel
Un buen libro para los fans de Pulp
Mike
It's just a collection of lyrics, plus introduction and commentary, from one my favorite lyricists. (Hey, did I mention I have a blog of reviews of Pulp songs?) This book is really just for Pulp/Jarvis fans. But if you're one, you'll find Jarvis' ruminations on lyric-writing, and his explanations of UK- and especially Sheffield-specific references in his songs illuminating.
Andy Angel
A collection of lyrics that show how Jarvis Cocker has honed his craft as a songwriter. Some of the songs are known, some not used but all make for an interesting read
Jessica
It's fun seeing the lyrics written outside of the context of song. I love Jarvis' commentary - just wish there was more of it.
Ben Baker
One of the few indie musicians whose lyrics work devoid of music. Its not poetry but its strangely poetic.
Mugren Ohaly
The only two songs I liked were 'TV movie' and 'Cunts are still running the world'.
Steven Pilling
i love pulp and i love his solo work. Its a book of his lyrics whats not to love
Simon Sweetman
Great lyricist, really enjoyed this - they work well to read on the page too.
Carl Polgar
It's Jarvis - how could it not be great?
Daniel
Bella compilación de las letras de Jarvis Cocker.
Ian Paganus
Now this is "Literary Pulp".
George Batistatos
George Batistatos marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Esta
Esta marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Fernanda Smith
Fernanda Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Mother Brother Lover: Lyrics Harry Potter Musical Magic -- The First Five Years: Music from Motion Pictures 1-5 (Piano Solos) Sombrero Fallout The Museum of Everything #3 Harry Potter Musical Magic -- The First Five Years: Music from Motion Pictures 1-5 (Piano Solos)