Start by marking “Still She Wished for Company” as Want to Read:
Still She Wished for Company

Still She Wished for Company

The story moves between the 1920s and the 1770s, following two heroines: 20th century Jan Challard, a London girl, and 18th century Juliana Clare, the youngest daughter of an aristocratic Berkshire family. Jan is independent and spirited, but leads a humdrum life, working in an office, and walks out with a very suitable young man. Juliana, at 17 years of age, is getting ...more
Published December 20th 2012 by Bloomsbury Reader (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Still She Wished for Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still She Wished for Company

Catherine
Mar 04, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I've never read a ghost story quite this. A ghost story? A love story? the past being haunted by the future story? I was left at the end with so many questions and so many musings and I'll be pondering over this story for a good long time. It's a mystery story too, I'd say.
Irwin can bring up the past to us now like no one else can and her descriptions are so simple and immediate that well...simply put, she's an artist. I mean to go back and look over her descriptions again to see just how she di
Jane
Jan 30, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
I had always thought of Margaret Irwin as a writer of historical fiction, but when I spotted this book I realised that it was a little different, and I was to discover that she had spun a very different, slightly magical, slightly ghostly, story around a story set back in history.

‘Still She Wished for Company was published in 1924, and it moves between that era and the 1770s, and between two lovely heroines.

Jan Challard was a modern – but not too modern – young woman who lived and worked in 1920
Charlotte
An interesting story of love split across two centuries. I enjoyed the the passages when Juliana drifted to the present day (1920's) but found other sections of the book to be a bit dry and slow moving for my liking. My Mum read this in her teens, and maybe I would found it more engaging at that age.
Fiona
Oct 21, 2011 Fiona rated it liked it
Quirky little read, took me a while to get into it , very descriptive of the era and slow i felt to start, however great story line and fantastic ending.
Windy
Sep 12, 2012 Windy rated it liked it
Two stories of two women 150 years apart. A gothic story of with hauntings from the future as well as the past. Creepy in places although dull in others - overall a good read.
Lisa Hannett
Lisa Hannett rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Indra
Indra rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Denny
Denny rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Lychee
Lychee rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Mary Elliott
Mary Elliott rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Elaysee
Elaysee rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Mary Lancaster
Mary Lancaster rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Karen Davies
Karen Davies rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Ros
Ros rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
J Campbell
J Campbell rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it really liked it
May 16, 2012
Marissa Doyle
Marissa Doyle rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Linden
Linden rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2012
Nancy  W'f
Nancy W'f rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Jenetta Haim
Jenetta Haim rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Soli
Soli rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Oolookitty
Oolookitty rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2012
AlisonH
AlisonH rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2010
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Maia
Maia rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Born in 1899 and educated at Oxford, Irwin was recognized as a novelist of well-researched and occasionally heart-breaking historical fiction. She is best known for her trilogy about Elizabeth I: Young Bess, Elizabeth Captive Princess, and Elizabeth and the Prince of Spain. Young Bess was made into a movie starring Jean Simmons.

Irwin also wrote passionately about the English Civil War, causing gen
More about Margaret Irwin...