Start by marking “Transcendence (Transcendence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Transcendence (Transcendence, #1)

Transcendence (Transcendence #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  656 ratings  ·  189 reviews
When a visit to the Tower of London triggers an overwhelmingly real vision of a beheading that occurred centuries before, Cole Ryan fears she is losing her mind. A mysterious boy, Griffon Hall, comes to her aid, but the intensity of their immediate connection seems to open the floodgate of memories even wider.

As their feelings grow, Griffon reveals their common bond as mem...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Transcendence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transcendence

YA Novels of 2012
407th out of 1,284 books — 10,127 voters
City of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Lost Prince by Julie KagawaThe Iron Legends by Julie KagawaOnyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Cover Reveals That Made You Scream With Excitement
143rd out of 363 books — 439 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

4.25 out of 5 stars

First, immediate thoughts upon finishing this quick read of a teenage paranormal novel:

That was a lot of fun! That was original and wholly compelling, and it managed to be all that and more without a love triangle or a heroine who is too stupid to live! It can be done!

Though Transcendence inevitably hits a few bumps that keep it from being perfect, it was perfectly enjoyable and fully diverting for the few (far too short!) hours i...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A captivating storyline with plenty of romance, mystery, historical references, suspense and reincarnation. Transcendence introduces readers to an incredible world, fascinating characters and a unique story line. I've not read a lot of YA books that tackle reincarnation, and I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed C.J.'s story. I found it to be an incredibly intriguing, fun read. I didn't think this would be a story that I would get as swept up in as I did, and I really enjoyed it.

Being...more
Lila Hunter
Book: Transcendence

Author: C.J. Omololu

Length: 336

Published: June 5, 2012

Format: Hardcover (read e-book)

Source: NetGalley

My view

I requested this galley from NetGalley (http://www.netgalley.com) several weeks ago and received no answer. Last Friday, I requested a different book and a couple of hours later, I received four messages from them. I guess they were having issues with their systems since I was approved for two copies of the same book. Plus, I received two emails denying the reques...more
J.C. Phillipps
Transcendence is the kind of book that hits my sweet spot. It's based in reality but an enhanced reality, a magical reality. It's here and now but with a fun twist: reincarnation.

I really loved the way C. J. Omololu weaved the snippets of memory of Cole's past lives into the narrative. The flow was smooth and I always felt as though I was right there with her. The overall writing is fabulous. I love good writing where I might think, "Wow, I love how she put that," without being yanked out of th...more
Kim
So i won this book for free through the giveaways here on goodreads. I had never heard of the author before so I had not idea what to expect. But boy i wasnt disappointed!

The plot of the story was wonderful. The way it was played out made sense but also kept you wondering and interested. The romance between Cole and Griffon was beautiful, how they just seemed to click. It was a different type of story, fresh and new, which is what I liked so much about it. I think that in some parts it should h...more
Mrsinserra
At first I wasn’t sure what to think, I was sucked in but started to dislike Griffon pretty much right away. I thought this book had the making of a beautiful disaster, but yet again, I was wrong. This book is beautiful, but certainly not a disaster. After Griffon comes clean, there was no way to not like him. He is totally lovable.

Cole is confused, pretty much throughout the entire book, and I don’t blame her. Just when you think you know what is going on, you, the reader, are left even more co...more
Anna's Book Blog
Review: What were my expectations of this book? Hmm I thought it sounded interesting enough and I figured I would enjoy it but never did I think I would end up liking the book so much.

From the first page, I was hooked. I could hardly believe it myself as I looked down and realized I finished the book in a matter of a few hours but it was just that good. Everything about the book from the characters, details, even the little things they said had me smiling and eagerly reading on.

Another cool fac...more
Rose
Initial reaction: "Transcendence" had many elements that intrigued me - mystery, suspense, romance, loose ties to Egyptian lore, a decent time travel story, and nice characterization. It does start a little sluggish with setting the pieces and people in the story in place, but once the story finds its stride, it doesn't let go. I really enjoyed the relationship between Cole and Griffon.

Full review:

"Transcendence" is one of the stronger YA fantasy/time-travel stories I've read in a while. Granted...more
Stephanie Cowart
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.
This is a fantastic book! I'm so glad it's got a sequel because I definitely want more of Griffon and Cole!
I was hooked from the first chapter that describes Cole and her sister Kat on a Spring Break trip to London. That's where Cole starts having disturbing visions and she meets Griffon for the first time.
When she returns home to San Francisco and the visions continues, Cole thinks she's going crazy. She reconnects with Griffon and...more
Libertad Araceli
This year it's like a goal of mine to read more YA books that feature lead black males. I think with my bookshelf, I've managed to find sooooo many books featuring B-racial(mixed with black) and Black female characters but my shelf is definitely lacking African American males. I'm not really sure why this is, especially since the book features an interracial couple and where I live, black guys date white girls all the time. It's time to start reflecting that with books!

The story follows Cole, a...more
Sophie
Ich bin begeistert! :) Die beiden Hauptcharaktere sind echt toll und die Handlung sehr spannend. Manchmal haben mich aber Coles Reaktionen ein wenig verwirrt. Ich freue mich auf den nächsten Band!
Book Sp(l)ot
Nicole - Cole to everyone but her mother - Ryan has been getting strange feelings as she tours London with her sister. It's as if she already knows what's around the corner - or what used to be. Streets she's never been on feel familiar to her, old buildings hold a sense of déjà vu as well.

This is Cole's first trip to London so she has no explanation for the feelings, either.

Nor does she know why at the Tour of London she's almost overcome with visions of a beheading - and it feels like her own!...more
Jenny
Rating: 3.5/5

Transcendence starts out strong, an emotional and violent vision assaulting our heroine as she wanders the Tower of London with her sister serving to yank us into the story as we can't help but wonder how a woman with so tragic a fate as the one in the vision is linked to sixteen year-old Cole. Things continue in a rather fascinating vein from there, numerous flashbacks to both the woman facing public execution as well as a young Italian immigrant with an extraordinary talent for mu...more
Kristin
I will say this, I love time travel books. Especially those by Connie Willis (just saying check out her books if you haven't). But, until yesterday, I don't believe I have ever read a book dealing with reincarnation. Who know it could be so much fun?

Nicole "Cole" Ryan was just a normal sixteen-year-old girl (minus the whole child prodigy bit). Until she started to "fall" into visions. Visions of things that happened in the past. No, not her immediate past, but from times long ago. We first meet...more
Shaheen
While I enjoyed Transcendence and it certainly kept me entertained, there are ultimately too many things I didn't like about it to really proclaim it an instant favourite. I think the past-lives, reincarnation aspect is handled well (and ties to Egyptian mythology are always a plus), but the characters and the plotting could have been much, much better.

We begin with the world-building, wherein everyone reincarnates, but only a special few, called Ahket, remember their past lives. The awakening,...more
Amber
Transcendence was amazing! I couldn't put this book down. There was so much mystery and suspense. If you are interested in reincarnation, this is a great pick for you. The unique storyline was so captivating. I simply can't say how fascinating this story is.

I actually think it would be just amazing to be able to remember past lives. To see how different the world has become through the years, centuries even. Cole and Griffon were two Akhet's, people who can remember who they were in the lives t...more
A Book Vacation
Initially, I had a hard time getting into this story. I felt like everything was a bit pushed and I didn’t understand what was happening with the flashbacks. I liked the introduction of Griffon, but then he disappeared and I was confused as to his role in the book. But then, it all came together, fairly quickly, and Omololu did a great job putting together the pieces of the puzzle, explaining everything, and capturing my interest, especially as the truth behind the Akhet came to light.

In my opin...more
Steffi und Kay his-and-her-books
Zitat:
"...solch eine Kleinigkeit genügt, um mich in eine andere Zeit, ein anderes Leben zu katapultieren. Und es gibt keinen Ort, an den ich fliehen kann, denn das alles geschieht in meinem Kopf."
(S.93)

"Ich weiß, dass es einen Sinn ergibt, aber ich kann es nicht zulassen, denn wenn ich es zulasse, wird alles anders sein. Dann hat nichts, was ich über das Leben zu wissen glaubte, mehr Bestand."
(S. 109)

"Ich glaube nicht an Zufälle, sondern daran, dass man offenbleiben sollte für alles, was gescheh...more
Chiara (delicate eternity)
A copy of this novel was provided Bloomsbury Australia in exchange for an honest review.

Transcendence was an addictive read. As some of you may know, past lives are kind of a weakness for me. I love the notion that we may have lived entirely different lives to the ones we are living now. Like I said, kind of a weakness.

Transcendence opens with Nicole in London, receiving visions (or flashbacks) of her past lives (not that she knows this – yet). There, she meets Griffon. A beautiful boy who she s...more
Jessica (Just a Booklover)
Transcendence was so much better than I expected it to be. I had been putting off reading it for a really long while now, so I decided I should read it. Now I'm so glad I did. I read this book in something like 24 hours. I started it Saturday night and finished it Sunday night -- Mothers Day! It was intriguing and sweet and just something I couldn't help but keep reading. It was practically glued to my hands throughout the duration of last weekend.

At first glance, this book seems to be just one...more
Meaghan
I will admit that when I was first approached about this book I was a little hesitant. The historical element made me a little nervous. Since I have been blogging I have learned that I am not a historical girl and I did not want to accept a book to review that I would not end up enjoying. I read a little more about it online and was really intrigued by the whole idea of past lives I so decided to give it a try anyway. I am very happy that I did give this book a chance, because while there are h...more
Canadian Reader
While on a vacation visit to the Tower of London, high-school junior and cello prodigy, Cole (Nicole) Ryan experiences a waking dream, a hallucination in which she is not an observer, but a participant. She finds herself to be a young woman in 1538 about to be executed within the walls of the tower grounds. When Cole comes to, dizzy and disoriented among the many tourists, Griffon, a young fellow American also from San Francisco, comes to her aid. He later provides the initially incredulous Cole...more
Stacy
Aug 06, 2012 Stacy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
I was in the worst reading slump of my life until I read this book. This story got me excited to read again. It has all the elements that I love in a YA book without becoming cliche. It has love without the instant cheesiness, mystery without the low points and the fresh new concept of reincarnation. The author is also displaying the new wave of feminism. Where a girl is not a helpless creature or a manly brute but a strong female who can take care of herself. I can not wait for the next book in...more
Rachel Barnes
Awww … another one of these novels that falls into your lap at the right moment in time. I admit that I am the type who turns to books for answers to those existential and universal questions, which is not always the brightest idea, but it brings me some measure of comfort nonetheless.

It’s probably more the connection I have with the characters in these books facing similar dilemmas or questions I am facing at the same time, then actually finding any answers. It helps to watch someone else wand...more
Christian
Knappe, aber doch wohlverdiente 5 Sterne! Das Einzige, was mir nicht ganz so gut gefallen hat, war der leicht vorschnelle Anfang, aber danach gefielen mir Cole und die ganze Handlung einfach nur richtig gut. Das Ende war erst unglaublich spannend - ich dachte erst "Oh nein, nicht so ein Ich-wusste-dass-das-passiert-Ende!", wurde dann aber eines Besseren belehrt - und dann einfach nur unglaublich schön. ♥
Ich freue mich auf "Für immer die Zweifel" *-*
Keksisbaby
Auf ihrem Besuch in London mit ihrer großen Schwester, hat Cole ständig ein Déjá vu-Gefühl. Plätze kommen ihr bekannt vor und auf einer Führung durch den Tower, sieht sie ganz deutlich das Bild vor sich von einer jungen Adligen, die hingerichtet werden soll. Bevor das Beil des Henkers sich jedoch senkt sinkt sie ohnmächtig direkt in die Arme von Griffon. Zunächst hält sie es für eine Zufallsbekanntschaft, doch je mehr sie über diesen Jungen erfährt, desto klarer wird ihr ihre eigene Bestimmung....more
Ricarda Scola
Inhalt:

Während ihres Urlaubs in London, beginnt Cole an ihrem Verstand zu zweifeln. Sie wird immer wieder von Visionen heimgesucht, die ihr unter anderem ihre Hinrichtung zeigen. Und sowas kann doch nicht real sein, oder?
Einhergehend mit einer dieser Visionen fällt sie in Ohnmacht und erwacht in den Armen von Griffon, einem Jungen, zu dem sie sich auf fast magische Weise hingezogen fühlt. Da das aber genau Unsinn ist wie ihre Flashbacks, hält sie sich nicht weiter damit auf - zumindest bis sie i...more
Katelyn
Honestly, this book deserved three stars but the ending was absolutely AMAZING that I HAD to give it a four. The book was slow moving all along the way and kind of hard to stay focused. The thing I liked the most was the ending and the past lives in between. This book was kind of uninteresting until the last five or so chapters. I just want to read to if out about the ending.....DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Griffon and Cole's relationship moved wayyyyy too quickly. Well, actually no. I felt lik...more
Carly
Inhalt:
Die Protagonistin heißt Nicole, die von allen Cole genannt wird. Sie ist siebzehn oder sechzehn Jahre alt (so genau weiß ich es nicht mehr) und sie ist sehr begabt im Cellospielen. Da sie so begabt ist, besser gesagt, sie ist ein Wunderkind (ob sie sich auch so benimmt, das ist eine andere Sache...). In den Sommerferien besucht sie mit ihrer Schwester ihren Vater in London, der dort geschäftlich zu tun hat. Dort schleppt Cole ihre Schwester zu allen Touristenattraktion, jedoch hat sie im...more
BAYA Librarian
This novel has an interesting paranormal concept that plays out in a disconnected, melodramatic plot with forgettable characters. It may appeal to younger teens who still love vampire stories, or are bored of vampire stories but still want that romance-between-beings-with-eternal-life thing. It may also interest readers interested in the concept of reincarnation.

San Francisco high school student and cello prodigy Cole Ryan is visiting the Tower of London during summer vacation when she is overco...more
Drew 1 4 Jul 10, 2013 10:49AM
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • Candlewax
  • Dead Time (The Murder Notebooks, #1)
  • Peaceweaver
  • Blackwood
  • Ripper (Ripper, #1)
  • I Am (Not) the Walrus
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • Devine Intervention
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Skulk
  • Senshi (Katana, #2)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Burn Mark (Burn Mark, #1)
  • The Girl is Trouble (The Girl is Murder, #2)
  • The Peculiars
  • The Académie
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
I write as C.J., but you can call me Cynthia. My YA novel DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS came out in early 2010. My next book TRANSCENDENCE came out in June of 2012, followed by the sequel INTUITION in June of 2013. My newest book is a YA thriller called THE THIRD TWIN and will be out in February 2015 followed by another standalone thriller RECOVERY in early 2016.

You might notice that I only give 4 or 5 st...more
More about C.J. Omololu...
Dirty Little Secrets Intuition (Transcendence, #2) When It's Six O'Clock in San Francisco: A Trip Through Time Zones The Third Twin