Start by marking “The House by Princes Park” as Want to Read:
The House by Princes Park

The House by Princes Park

Another wonderful Liverpool saga from bestselling author Maureen Lee.

The product of an affair between a nurse and an injured American soldier during the Great War, Ruby O'Hagan's early life is spent in an orphanage. At sixteen she runs away with a farmworker, and two years later she is alone and homeless with her two daughters.

Her friend, Mrs Hart, leaves her big friendly
Mass Market Paperback, 495 pages
Published December 5th 2002 by Orion (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The House by Princes Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House by Princes Park

Cheryl
Sep 24, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those rare books you find that you just don't want to end.
You become so involved in the story line and the lives of the characters that you are left with a feeling of loss after turning the last page.............
Susan Brown
Mar 07, 2013 Susan Brown rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: To anyone wanting an absorbing cozy read
Shelves: books-i-own
What a surprising little book! I picked this up in a newsagents one day when on the way to the coffee shop with nothing to read with my coffee. An obscure author (to me, anyway), I didn't expect to finish it. But it turned out to be a real page turner and a true cozy read. The story was fascinating and made me wish for a simpler time when people really cared about each other. The narrative was easy to follow and I became totally immersed in the various lives portrayed as the characters were so ...more
Susan
Feb 13, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: maureen-lee
Brilliant book, really enjoyed it. Follows Ruby from birth until in her 80s. her struggles through the 2nd world war and beyond, right up to millenium eve. would read it again.
Michellelouise Harris White
Dec 24, 2015 Michellelouise Harris White rated it it was amazing
loved it ,full of characters that we can all identify with ,a genuine believable story of a mom doing the best for her own
Kerry
Jul 09, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Another re read for me, really enjoyable did not want it to end quite emotional and touching.
Patricia Johnson
Jan 02, 2016 Patricia Johnson rated it it was ok
Born out of wedlock and placed in an orphanage, Ruby becomes the matriarch of a dysfunctional family of daughters and granddaughters. Each of the daughters and granddaughters develop varied personalities with different problems to overcome. All turns out well in the end.
Eliza Reader & Reviewer
I'm surprised, I really truly am.

But this book was more than just incredible or spectacular, in my opinion. It was outstanding.

It is a story of survival, of pain, of joy and incredible strength found in soft feminine nature. It is about beauty that springs from the ashes. It is a story of a family that is all but normal - and yet has so much to offer. It has a lot of love, a lot of warmth, a lot of coziness, it is a place of acceptance and tolerance, a place where you will never be judged. It is
Сhristie ♥
Mar 13, 2015 Сhristie ♥ rated it liked it
Жіноча сімейна сага, яку приємно читати і розслабляти мозги. Ніяких тобі соплів і непотрібної драми. Окрім Рубі, вольової і сильної, такої собі Скарлет О'Хара, решта героїв все ж трохи сирі та прісні. Ця книга точно не стане улюбленою, але дасть можливість прожити кілька вечорів пліч-о-пліч з головною героїнею.
Julia
Mar 02, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed following the life of Ruby - a character that I liked although I wanted more for her in life.
Linda Badcock
Aug 25, 2014 Linda Badcock rated it it was ok
Very little character development; obvious plot lines were not developed. This book should have been a trilogy.
Heather
Mar 16, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I picked this one up randomly in the summertime and could not put it down! I just loved the characters and the storyline. For some reason it totally gripped me!
Karen
Aug 11, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I picked this off of the trading shelf at b&b in Kinsale Ireland. It was a delightful read, especially while traveling through Ireland and England. I'd like to try more or Maureen Lee's books.
Pat Smith
Pat Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Becky Brooks
Becky Brooks rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2013
Kirsty Thompson
Kirsty Thompson rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
sandra sebo
sandra sebo rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2015
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Sophia Maoudis-Peever
Sophia Maoudis-Peever rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Francis Muir
Francis Muir rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2014
Carole Anne
Carole Anne rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Margaret Gracey
Margaret Gracey rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2013
Robert Williamson
Robert Williamson rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Ash
Ash rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Kendra Jory
Kendra Jory rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Chantal
Chantal rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Barbara Parr
Barbara Parr rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Louise Spavins
Louise Spavins rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Karen Macedo
Karen Macedo rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
  • Plough the Furrow
  • A Hopscotch Summer
  • The Beautiful Visit
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • Nobody's Darling
  • The Constant Heart
  • Mill Girl: The Diary of Eliza Helsted, Manchester, 1842-1843
  • The Doorstep Girls
  • Remembrance Day
  • Perfectly Correct
  • Our Kid
  • Nobody's Girl
Maureen Lee was born in Bootle, England, UK, near Liverpool during the World War II. She attended Commercial College and became a shorthand typist. She married Richard, and they had three sons, now adults. The last years the marriage lives in Colchester, Essex.

During years, she published over one hundred and fifty short-stories, before published her first novel Lila in 1983. She continued publishe
More about Maureen Lee...