Semi-Charmed Life

Semi-Charmed Life

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  44 reviews
In Nora Zelevansky’s hilarious debut, Semi-Charmed Life, an Upper West Side naïf, Beatrice Bernstein, gets swept up in the seemingly magical life of socialite Veruca Pfeffernoose, while ghost writing her blog. Veruca’s glitteringly opulent world soon seduces Beatrice away from her own insular, arty family with a promise of fancy parties, travel outside Manhattan (for once)...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

Giselle
What started out as adventurous and New York chic, this quickly turned into a bizarre magical contemporary. When you include an overwhelming quantity of references that went way over my head, Semi-Charmed Life ended up being an exceptionally tedious and confusing read.

I absolutely adore New York City. I visited a year ago and I was dazzled by the lifestyle and how it seems to be in its own world. Since, I've come to love books set in the Big Apple. I can revive the energy I felt walking the str...more
Preet
Happy fourth you wonderful people! What better way than to bring in the day with a little New York socialite fun, right? Semi-Charmed Life was such a fun read! Though it took a bit of time to get properly started for me, I loved being thrown into the New York posh life while still being an outsider. I will always be a hardcore West coast/California lover, but after hearing so much about New York life it's like you're walking the streets with Beatrice as she tries to figure out life.

I was actuall...more
Stephanie Cowart
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.
I absolutely loved this book! I didn't want to put it down. It was just so fun and hilarious!
Beatrice is so excited to start her senior year of college and live in off campus housing. She has a great family - an older sister and very loving parents - but they can be a bit smothering at times. They've never been anywhere outside of New York (even though they are internationally recognized art dealers) and Beatrice is ready for some i...more
Vox
There are some things I just do not understand about people. For instance, why are there Kardashians? Why do we allow them to exist outside of their home? Why do we allow those Jersey Shore cretins to make more money than an entire platoon of troops? Why do people watch crap like that on television?

It isn't that Nora Zelevansky answers those questions in Semi-Charmed Life, but she does get to the essence of why we so willingly follow these idiots off cliffs: fame, fortune and free swag.

College s...more
Kelli
Very impressive first novel. I very much enjoyed her quick-witted writing style and the magical elements of the story. Looking forward to the next one!
Suzanne Palmieri
A delightful, magical romp. Those who loved Eloise as a child will fall in love with this story. Head over heels in love!
Fox
I won this book through the first-reads program.

Semi-Charmed Life is Nora Zelevansky's authorial debut, and also a novel that she wrote during NaNoWriMo if I'm not mistaken. The book is a well-done satire on how obsessed we are as a culture with the concepts and trappings on fame, and how hollow a pursuit it truly can be. Wrapped up in all of this commentary is a dash of magical realism, well placed humor, and an air of mystery. That's quite a lot for a first novel to contain.

Personally, I found...more
Shanna
I received an ARC through my organization, in advance of a free reading program at our local library.

This fun summer read is best compared to a more intelligent, art world Gossip Girl with a dash of magical realism. Nora is definitely going to be an author to watch!
Thb
Great fun. Quick read. Couldn't put the book down. Loved the way the author was able to create a satirical tone without being sardonic. It was light and fun and adorable. A great read for any age. Can't wait to read Zelevansky's next one!
Emily Easter
Supremely entertaining and imaginative... I loved it! You can't help but get wrapped up in Beatrice's world, and it's a place I didn't want to leave. Highly recommend!
Thalia
Jul 30, 2012 Thalia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults Looking for Somethnig Light
Recommended to Thalia by: Krysten Powell
Shelves: e-ufh, luhdasbunyno
Read the review on my blog:
Nicole Sobon
My rating 4.5/5 Stars.

I love it when a book surprises me, and that is exactly what SEMI-CHARMED LIFE did. I hadn’t heard much about this novel before being contacted by St. Martin’s to review the title. Had they not contacted me, I probably would have missed out on this one, which would have been a shame because I genuinely enjoyed Zelevansky’s debut.

SEMI-CHARMED LIFE is about Beatrice Bernstein, a college senior desperate for change. She ends up finding that change with the help of Veruca Pfeff...more
Khelsey Jackson
Beatrice Bernstein is sick of her sheltered life and wants a change. She wants to make her own choices like an adult. Her senior year of college because she would be living in off campus housing with her best friend Dolly. Her new places turned out to be below her expectations, she is forced to take Veruca Pfeffernoose's offer. She would be ghost writing for the socialite's blog and in exchange she would be living in Veruca's extravagant loft. Writing Veruca's blog also means Beatrice has to fol...more
Amy
I hadn't imagined I would love this book as much as I did--I feared it would be one of those oh-another-spoiled New York chick (ala HBO's Girls which, um, I know means I'm not hip, but really, why should I care?). But Zelevansky's Beatrice is in all of us, and watching her face down the lure of the sheen inspires.
Angela
Couldn't decide if I loved this or hated it -- especially the parts that seemed a little too magical and weird. But by the end, I really liked it and thought Beatrice was a fun character and her experiences were "just beyond" as she would say to Veruca!
Callie
This book made me happy. It's a quick, fun, light read with funny, interesting characters. Perfect for summer.
Alice Zhang
Zelevansky has a dorky, funny charm to her writing that makes the book relatable, even as you're reading about Beatrice's high class escapades. Most of it sounds wonderful but gaudy, but there is a complex layer to her plot that makes the book suspenseful and an easy read. Above all, I'm glad for the book's down-to-earth tone that resulted with "Beany Baby's" return to her roots, so to speak, and spoke to the immense power of family, love, and finding yourself. I wasn't all for the hint of super...more
Rhonda  Talbot
Really enjoying this, highly recommend!
Catherine
Beatrice Bernstein, of the art world Bernsteins, is faced with a difficult decision: spend her senior year living in a roach and mold infested basement apartment or ghost-write a blog for the chic and mysterious socialite, Veruca Pfeffernoose. Balancing her ethics against sleepless nights fully clothed to avoid any contact with anything in her closet-apartment and Beatrice’s ethics beat a hasty retreat. She cheerfully embraces Veruca’s world where whatever is desired will appear and at a moment’...more
~Kate~
I was sent an email from the publishers to see if I wanted to review this book which sounded like something that I haven't tried before and it sounded good so I thought I would give it a try. I am glad I did as it was a likable book just not a great book.

This cover I love and to be honest it would have sold me the book if I actually had seen it before I started reading it. I love that it looks like the cover has been drawn which is fitting to the actual story as there is a lot of art influence...more
LAWonder10
Young Beatrice was discouraged with her life. Although she was entering her Senior year of college, she felt unsettled and not certain what her true career would be. After suffering a bout of the flu, she arrived at her new university apartment only to experience a nightmare from the 'twilight zone'. This opens a 'universe' of bizarre situations and an opportunity or a new and enticing career move. This could lead to exciting adventures and fulfill dreams she didn't realize she had.
This is a sto...more
Jessica
I received this book as part of a Goodreads First reads giveaway in exchange for my honest review.

Beatrice is the main character and like most college age kids, she has no idea where she is going with her life and feels like she isn't as cool or important as her sister. She meets a celebrity and immediately becomes one of her entourage via being the blog writer of said person. She is whisked into this other world where it shows money can get you what you want when you want it. But alas, it all c...more
Marci
Beatrice Bernstein has a problem. Housing has goofed up and placed her in the basement of her University’s off-campus housing apartment complex. Luckily for her, hest best friend Dolly pulls her into the fabulous apartment of socialite celebrity Veruca Pfeffernoose. In an attempt to escape killer cockroaches and an overbearing intellectual family, Beatrice accepts an offer to ghost write Veruca’s blog. In order to do so, Beatrice must live in Veruca’s shoes and become a member of her inner circ...more
Livvy
I was stepping out of my comfort zone in picking up another ‘Chick-Lit’ novel particularly because my experiences with them have never been very good and they are not books I like. Generally I really ABHOR ‘Chick-Lit’. However, I felt that Zelevanksy’s novel deserved a chance and it could be one to make me fall in love with a genre that I do not like. I think that feat was a little too much to expect.

I want to emphasise now this book was NOT BAD at ALL. It just really wasn’t for me. It was well...more
Ashley
My Thoughts: First, Thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for letting me review an early e-arc of Nora Zelevansky's debut novel. Second, I just want to point out the gorgeous cover. I love the water color effect of it. If for nothing else, get the book just for the cover.
This book grew on me while reading. It was a little hard to get into, but the middle part really hooked me in and I became engaged in the story.
I really liked the character of Beatrice. She really illustrated that feeling o...more
Mw
Initially, I thought it was a cute read, almost like "Clueless" meets the "Devil Wears Prada" but on a more juvenile level.

The protagonist, Beatrice, was a poor little rich girl who felt she was overshadowed by the fame of her family members. And like most sheltered individuals, she would like to "experience the world" and "find herself" rather than being a "Bernstein." Fair enough.

Her trials and tribulations were unrealistically amusing, but then three quarters way through the novel, things t...more
Tim Nat
If you're looking for a new DEVIL WEARS PRADA, this is for you. I pits you into situations that Bea and the reader long to have: the glamorous life of designer clothing, the cream of the crop phone book contacts, and the notion that anything and everything is completely possible. The one thing I enjoyed the most about the book was a sense of mystery and paranormal activities that surrounded our heroine, though when things were revealed, I felt Zelevansky could have kept that unique tension going...more
InkBitten
Sarah's review of Semi-Charmed Life by Nora Zelevansky

Judged by the Cover: THIS IS NEW!!!
Time of Day: Sure, Why Not?
Head Over Heels: Possibly, Kinda
Bonus Features: Makeup, Travel
Anti-Bonus Features: WTH MomentFinal Flavor: Shirley Temple
This book was an ARC given to us by the lovely people at St. Martin's Griffen. It was released July 3, 2012.

Judged by the Cover: THIS IS NEW!!!
This is one of those wonderfully rare occasions where I can confidently say that this cover is in no way even close t...more
Natasha Travis
It started off slow but definitely picked up early on. It was somewhat incredulous but it is a work of fiction after all. If you like a fictional portrayal of the behind the scenes look of a reality start, famous for nothing, but with an interesting twist, you'll like this. It was a fun ride.
Tina Marie Christensen
I feel so blessed (and blissed) to have connected with this book. I Love Manhattan socialite stories and this one included just enough magic to feel like a modern fairy tale as well.
Pittsburgh Goodre...: Pittsburgh Reading This Week - 7/26 1 36 Jul 23, 2012 01:18PM
Pittsburgh Goodre...: Pittsburgh Book Event! 1 32 Jun 21, 2012 10:07PM
  • Signs and Wonders
  • The Beautiful Anthology
  • A Free People's Suicide: Sustainable Freedom and the American Future
  • Daniel Fights a Hurricane
  • The Cinderella Blues
  • Capital Girls (Capital Girls, #1)
  • Brooklyn Girls (Brooklyn Girls, #1)
  • Wild Girls
  • Perfect Is Overrated
  • No Animals We Could Name: Stories
  • I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow
  • Jana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes: A Novel
  • Life II
  • Great-Aunt Sophia's Lessons for Bombshells
  •  A Long Way from You
  • Search for the Lost Kingdom (Eldohr Adventures, #1)
  • The Concubine's Gift
  • Murder of Crows
Nora Zelevansky was born and bred on Manhattan's Upper West Side. She attended the Calhoun School, studied film and visual art at Scripps College (of the Claremont Colleges) and moved to LA after graduation. Recently, she relocated back to Brooklyn, NYC, where she now lives with her husband, a filmmaker.

When the author is not writing novels, she is a freelance journalist, essayist and features wri...more
More about Nora Zelevansky...
Semi-Charmed Life: A Novel

“But when members of a burgeoning couple invest feelings without confirmed reciprocation, they naturally become irrational, insecure, and just a little bit dumb.” 2 likes