Start by marking “Dark Destiny (Dark Mirror, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dark Destiny (Dark Mirror, #3)

Dark Destiny (Dark Mirror #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Tory and her friends are celebrating the success of a second mission to aid WWII Britain when an urgent summons calls them back to their own time: Napoleon is on the brink of invading England. Can a handful of young mages stop an army?

In desperation, Merlin’s Irregulars ask Rebecca Weiss, an untrained telepath from 1940, to come back to 1804 and change Napoleon’s mind bef
Published July 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Dark Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Destiny

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsA Million Suns by Beth RevisEverneath by Brodi AshtonInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Selection by Kiera Cass
Amazing YA Covers of 2012
152nd out of 736 books — 2,318 voters
Bitterblue by Kristin CashoreShadow and Bone by Leigh BardugoThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareClockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
2012 YA/MG Fantasy Books
84th out of 235 books — 604 voters

More lists with this book...

Ayanami Faerudo
I'm still so giddy at the fact that the characters here are smart and intelligent. Some of us have, one time or another, used these words interchangeably but over time I realized that they're different traits. I won't bore you with an explanation, you could google it up.

I'm going to post a full series review soon but I also want to add another note and that's on romance. If the romances in this story were treated differently, I would have labelled them instalove immediately and would have dragge
Maria
I enjoyed this series, but I have to admit that it was painfully hard to get through this last book in the series. It took me days to read, one chapter at a time, because none of the drama felt all that compelling.

I didn't like the time-travelling aspects of this book because no one, at any point, thinks about how any of their actions will impact history or how their role will help history unfold the way it is meant to. Yes, these novels are intended for a young readership, but they're not slow
Melissa
Dark Destiny: Dark Mirror #3

By M. J. Putney

In this third installment of the Dark Mirror series, we find Tory turning seventeen in 1940 where they are celebrating after their successful completion of a mission to save a couple scientists and their families. Justin sees a landing of Napoleon on English soil. Ms. Rainford tries to show them in the history books that Napoleon never landed on English soil… except the history books were being re-written as they looked at them. So, the Irregulars from
Mary (Books In Her Head)
Alright, Dark Destiny is the sequel to Dark Passage, and starts right where Dark Passage left off. The Irregulars have returned from France, and are on their way back to their Lackland. Their new friend Rebecca is staying with the 20th Century Rainfords, as in Polly, and Nick, and their mother. But time travel is not over for the Irregulars, or their 20 Century friends, and as a looming threat approaches, Rebecca promises to do all she can as repayment for the Irregulars past deeds.

What a lovely
Qnpoohbear
The plot of this story is similar to the first book with starts and stops. There are several chapters with major action and then a thrilling ending. Then there are periods where nothing happens, followed by a brief period of action and a startling conclusion. The first action sequence is more dangerous and exciting than the second, which ends rather abruptly. I didn't like the way the Irregulars got out of trouble at the end. It's a story about magic and what happened didn't exactly fit. I would ...more
Kathy Martin
The third book in Putney's Dark Mirror trilogy was as exciting and adventurous as the first two and bring the series to a fitting conclusion. This time our young magelings are back in their own time and trying to prevent Napoleon from invading Britain. They need to use everyone's skills and strengths to defeat the powerful general especially since he is being supported by evil war mage Major Lavaux. Our 1804 team of Tory, Allarde, Cynthia, Jack and Elspeth need to call in their friends from 1940 ...more
Erin
The final book in the Dark Mirror trilogy opens where book two left off: Tory's 17th birthday party. Allarde and Mrs. Rainford get a vision of Napoleon invading England, so the Lackland students return to 1804 to stop this from coming to pass. They successfully thwart one major incursion, but soon Britain's magical defenses are stretched to the breaking point, and the Irregulars realize they will need help from their twentieth century friends if they are to prevent the French from landing on Bri ...more
Shannon
I might bump it up to 3.5 stars, but I did find this a little sillier than the others (more that there wasn't one driving focus like there was in the previous books, but some minor skirmishes that were resolved with remarkable ease). Little niggly things - like relationship drama that's resolved in a page (I didn't feel like the drama was needed, although I'll take the easy resolution for this particular instance than the romances that would otherwise drag the issue out FOREVER), and some of tha ...more
ephrielle
A cute light read. Cute romances and an interesting view of time travel. A mix of magic and historical past.

I am not the biggest fan of history but this was enjoyable. Not too many details or politics. Good characters and a fair paced story. There were some very small moments that I got bored. It was amazing to see all the things the mages could do as their magic strengthened. But even though they had all this power they never let it get to their heads.

Rebecca has some mad power. The ability to
Joy Weese Moll
This is the third volume in the YA series that began with Dark Mirror. In this world, the aristocrats of Regency England send any of their children who manifest magical powers to reform school. So low class to practice magic, you see. Of course, the best of the mages find a way to use their skills anyway in subterranean halls and rooms. With the help of some magical mirrors, they travel in time and space to employ their magic in the service of turning back invaders, from Napoleon to Hitler.

Cris
I found the plot and pacing to be a bit more uneven than the previous two stories in this series. And Tory, as a character, was edging over into 'too good to be believable' status.

I've seen other reviewers state that Dark Destiny was the final book in the series. If so, my review is even more mixed. The main storyline involving Tory and Justin was resolved into a suitable ending, but the storylines involving other characters, especially Rebecca's, seemed incomplete.

But overall I enjoyed this ser
Mia Lansford
Tory and Allarde; Jack and Cinders; Nick and Rebecca - six characters worth remembering. Their magic is awesome great new ideas I never read in other books. I like Elspeth the healer and how Rebecca can change people's minds. Two different time periods able to interact with each other brings 1804 and 1940 together.
Not only is magic involved history facts and jewish religion are shown throughout the book.
Merlin fans will love this light story. It's a YA for the younger teens and def worth readin
Zabada Campbell
It was totally wicked. Not literally; figuratively. Lady Tory and her band of magelings take on Napoleon quite literally. It is not a moment they are likely to forget. Behind the main scene we see our couples happily paired up. Lady Tory and Master Justin or rather the Duke will be wed sometime. In the future and inherit Kemperton. Their future is sure to be an up hill battle but somehow I believe they will be ready for whatever comes their way. Thanks and Blessings to M J Putney; Author, for on ...more
Wendy
It was the last book in this series that I had waited for months. I was attracked by the plots that author created, weaved with history of 2 national threats to England and magic. It's interesting to develop characters who were the heros or heroins who defended England by preventing enemies from evading.
I love the magic mirror travelling part, and how the characters go through time and connect them with each other. I also love the romance, between Tory and Allarde, betwwen Cinder and Jack, betwe
Kimiko
Eh, this book was okay. It was not as good as I though it would be (the cover, title etc). Overall this series was a bit....meh...boring. It didn't had my heart racing or my mind going crazy concerning for the team's safety. Plus, there should be more obstacles for the 3 couple's relationships! Jealousy! Betrayal! When Tory and Justin hooked up, Cynthia was okay with it, even though she "loved" him. She shouldn't stepped back. She should have caused some girl drama! Now that would be fun to read ...more
Claudia
No fue epico... ¡Pero un lindo final!
Reseña completa: http://claudisalfaro01.tumblr.com/pos...
Louisa
Fantastic book, I'm personally hoping for another book, because of the look that the 1940's Rainford's shared in Dark Mirror! And how magic should become acceptable for nobility! And have some more characters have some happy endings! And like why Elspeth feels like she needs to be at the school. I want more of this excellent time travelling series!!!
Dolores
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, but this one was a bit of a struggle for me. It really took me a while to get through it, and I just didn't find it especially interesting. Still, I'm glad I saw it through. It was an interesting series with a lot of appeal for reluctant readers.
Amanda
I still think the first book was the best, but I really enjoyed reading this book. The newest character from the second book really stepped up and showed her colors. Plus I really enjoyed the ending of the book. Although it was bitter sweet I was glad how the author finished the book.
Katrina Sutton
The third book was a great way of ending the trilogy. It tied up all of the loose ends and left me satisfied. In this book, there was drama, magic, and romance. It definitely stirs up the imagination that leaves you dreaming for more!
Katie
Oct 09, 2013 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Had a little trouble getting into this book, but once I did, it was just as good as the others. As a side note, I find it interesting that for all three books having "dark" in the title, they are far from hopeless, depressing, or evil.
Bethe
nice 3rd installment in the Dark Mirror series - is it the last one? Sometimes the romance part got a little gaggy, the time travel, history and magic parts are solid and entertaining. Had to chuckle at Cynthia, the magical otter :)
Virginia
Finally, I got my hot little hands on the conclusion. Though not as awesome as I thought it would be, it was still a satisfying conclusion. I'm glad I got to read the finale (even though I had to wait months via LinkPLUS).
Renee
A little romance , history, and a lot of adventure and time travel. A satisfying end to a series with a unique premise. The novels stay true to the time frame the action is set in. I have really enjoyed all 3 books.
Chantelle
Seriously the best series i have EVER read. and i've read a lot of series. I was swept up in the romance and action. the writing is incredible and the books are totally transforming!
Tanya
This was a great ending to a series that has all the things I love. History, magic, romance, time travel and a little war drama from two different eras. It was brilliant.
Megan
Really like this series. Pretty adult feelings for young teenagers but I like that it's clean & characters have good moral standards. The historical fiction is great.
Felicia
Im very sad this series had to end. I really loved the concept and characters. Hopefully, M.J. Putney will make more mage stories for the YA genre. :)
Nora-adrienne
A magnificent ending to a wonderful trilogy. I'm just sorry it's ended, since there are still other people whose endings haven't been written yet.
  • Anastasia Forever (Dreaming Anastasia, #3)
  • A Distant Magic (Guardians, #3)
  • The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie Stewart (Magic Most Foul, #2)
  • Caradoc of the North Wind (Warrior Princess, #4)
  • Secrets of the Time Society  (Timeless, #1.5)
  • Destiny (Immortal, #4)
  • The Jewel and the Key
  • The Unfailing Light (Katerina, #2)
  • Torrent (River of Time, #3)
  • The Far West (Frontier Magic, #3)
  • Courtship and Curses (Leland Sisters, #3)
  • City of Swords (Stravaganza, #6)
  • Concisus (Verita, #2)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Paradox (Travelers #2)

Dark Mirror (3 books)
  • Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1)
  • Dark Passage (Dark Mirror, #2)
Dark Mirror (Dark Mirror, #1) Dark Passage (Dark Mirror, #2) Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5) Stolen Magic (Guardians, #2)