Start by marking “Star Wars: Jedi, Volume 1: The Dark Side” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Jedi, Volume 1: The Dark Side

Star Wars: Jedi, Volume 1: The Dark Side (Star Wars: Jedi #1)

Following a shocking political assassination, young Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn is dispatched to prevent the outbreak of a civil war on the homeworld of his Padawan Xanatos—whose father is king. For the headstrong Xanatos, this return to his home has dredged up hidden resentments and passionate emotions. It is a mission that will lead Qui-Gon into close contact with ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Dark Horse Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Crystal Starr Light
Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice, Xanatos, have been given a mission to Xanatos' homeworld of Telos IV along with Master Tahl and Padawan, Orykan. A priestess has been killed, and the Telosians want someone's blood. But politics aren't the only thing the Jedi have to juggle; Xanatos reunites with his father, Lord Crion, and his sister, Nason, and must work through his feelings to them.

One of my all-time favorite Star Wars series is the Jedi Apprentice series by Jude Watson. The characters were st
Jared
Star Wars Legends Project #40

Background: Jedi—The Dark Side came out in 5 issues during mid-2011. The trade paperback was released in February 2012. It was written by Scott Allie with art pencilled by Mahmud Asrar. Allie has written a few other Star Wars titles, mostly for the "Republic" and "Empire" series. Outside of Star Wars, he mostly writes horror comics, including his own original series "Sick Smiles." Asrar has done work for DC (mostly "Supergirl" and "Superman" titles), Marvel (mostly
Chloe
Jan 03, 2015 Chloe rated it it was ok

When I picked up this book, I honestly had no idea what it was about. All I knew was the it had been part of the Star Wars Humble Bundle and had Qui-Gon on the cover. All the other comics included in the bundle were at the very least entertaining to read so I figured that this one would be to. Boy, was I wrong. (view spoiler)
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I came into Jedi - the Dark side fairly cold to the story. After reading reviews, I have since found out that the story is an attempt to show the history of several characters who will appear as their older selves in novels. All fine and well - but the story really should stand on its own and this one doesn't.

The story is typical SW Graphic Novel: Jedis go on assignment, encounter trouble, use the force, have some lights
pamsreading
Aug 12, 2016 pamsreading rated it really liked it
A heart breaking prequel to Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice

The plot includes the story of how Qui-Gon lost his former Padawan, Xanatos, and previous dynamic between Tahl and Qui-Gon. I love personality and aesthetics of Orykan Tamarik very much. Too bad we don't see her in other materials. Xanatos' story is heart breaking and is definitely relatable, that moment when you have to satisfy both ends to the point that you break yourself. When you mentor pushes you too harsh and you family constantly gu
Cale
Aug 02, 2015 Cale rated it it was ok
Family and Political Machinations collide to make the murky plot of this Qui-Gon Jinn adventure. The plot seems to hinge on a lot of poor decisions made on all sides, leading to unintended repercussions as things spiral out of control. The action never feels that important, and a lot of the plot just barely fits together for a coherent story - Padawan Xanatos in particular, as the son of the Telosian ruler who is sent back with Qui-Gon to investigate the death of a religious leader but who spend ...more
Michael Yankovich
Jun 03, 2015 Michael Yankovich rated it it was ok
A fairly unexceptional entry in the EU. Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Xanatos must return to Xanatos's home world of Telos IV to apprehend an assassin. Xanatos is faced with the struggle of balancing his status as a Jedi while revisiting his home for the first time. Meanwhile, a conspiracy is slowly revealed.

I found the writing to be pretty boring, and the overall plot doesn't have much focus. Xanatos is an interesting character with a great deal of potential, but come across as a bit of a crybab
Nerdish Mum
Feb 15, 2016 Nerdish Mum rated it really liked it
I loved following Qui-Gon Jinn and his padawan. I thought the story was really interesting and incredibly well written. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this but it had me hooked from the first page. I liked the fact that the art work was based on the visual of Liam Neeson, but I'm not 100% sold on the art style which is the only reason I have docked a star.
Jedi Sunni
Aug 07, 2016 Jedi Sunni rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
This story was a little above average as far as star wars stories are concerned. It was confusing at times and choppy, so much so that I could not connect with the characters. The action was some what muted as well. My rating for this issue is a 3.7 out of 5.0.
Freelin
Aug 26, 2016 Freelin rated it really liked it
Action-packed. Again I find Star Wars stories more interesting when Luke, Leia, and Han are not in the graphic novel. Qui-Gon Jinn takes an untested emotional Padawan to investigate a murder on the Padawan's home world.
Shawn Fairweather
Apr 28, 2015 Shawn Fairweather rated it liked it
Pretty mediocre story that included Qui Gon Jinn. The art was pretty simplistic and the story seemed more like background filler than anything with real purpose.
Graham Bailey
Jul 09, 2012 Graham Bailey rated it did not like it
Really clunky writing, poor quality & inconsistent artwork and lazy plotting leave this one of the weakest SW graphic novels I've read. Avoid.
Kirk
Jul 17, 2012 Kirk rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed this story, base on the prequel era of Star Wars. I would like to read more, and see what other stories are available.
Jagged Fel
Jagged Fel rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2015
Tony
Tony rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2012
Kurt Butler
Kurt Butler rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Danny Red
Danny Red rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Doorman Dave
Doorman Dave rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2015
Jerome
Jerome rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Angel G. Presas
Angel G. Presas rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Ian Reay
Ian Reay rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2015
Julie Soden
Julie Soden rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Nathaniel Pazos
Nathaniel Pazos rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2012
Szombatis
Szombatis rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Chip Dale
Chip Dale rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Timea
Timea rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
  • Star Wars: Knight Errant, Volume 1: Aflame
  • The Lost Suns (Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic, #3)
  • Tales of the Jedi: The Collection (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #3)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 5: The Best Blades
  • Rescues (Star Wars: Invasion, #2)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 8
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 3: Last Stand on Jabim
  • Threat of Peace (Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic, #2)
  • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 10
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The Special Edition
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, Vol. 4
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows
  • Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
  • Redemption (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #7)