Start by marking “Robert & Cybil: The Winning Hand\The Perfect Neighbor” as Want to Read:
Robert & Cybil: The Winning Hand\The Perfect Neighbor

Robert & Cybil: The Winning Hand\The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors #7, 9)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  6,737 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Nora Roberts delights with two more classic tales about the beloved MacGregor clan and the risks they will take…all in the name of love!

The Winning Hand

When Darcy Wallace spends her last three dollars at the hotel casino and wins the jackpot, all casino manager Robert MacGregor Blade wants to do is protect her. But something about the lovely young woman is getting under Ma
Paperback, Silhouette Special Large Print, 442 pages
Published April 24th 2012 by Silhouette (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Robert & Cybil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robert & Cybil

Somer Schaffer
Jun 15, 2012 Somer Schaffer rated it liked it
I would like to give Nora Roberts the 'Most-Predictable-Yet-Still-Entertaining-Novel' award. I was surprised that neither of the protagonists were redheads for one, but their stories were both predictable.

"Oh I love you,"
"I love you too, but we can't be together."
"Why?"
"Just 'cause."

In the last few pages, AHH! a fight. Then, guess what? Yes, they make up and end up together. The first 100 pages of both stories were slow progressing but detailed and I loved how well written they were. After that,
Kathleen Short-Ridge
The McGregors are ones that I go and reread year after year. If they ever do a series of them they would be hard to cast but oh the fun to watch.
Marguerite
Aug 02, 2016 Marguerite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've previously read a number of the MacGregor books; I picked this one up at a library sale. Love those 25 cent shelves.

This book has two "books" in it: one about each of the people named. They are a continuation of the MacGregor line and I was happy to see that the patriarch, Dan MacGregor, is still alive and as funny and meddling as ever.

In the first book about Robert, it shows how he meets Darcy, a down-on-her-luck, running-away-from-home midwestern librarian who has ditched her predictabl
Brenda Ramirez
Sep 15, 2011 Brenda Ramirez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-hr
well so far im happy darcy took a risk and stood up to gerald. he was such an abuser. i hate it when guy raise a hand to a lady or women. Thats a new low for them. anyways she ran away with just some clothes n her money and car to tart a new life away from kansas. she had just $9.37 in her pocket she got to this magnificient casion and risked her last money on the slots machiens. Then she was almost 2 million dollars. she met her handsome guy named mac and.........

The next book is about cybil g
Carmen
May 17, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Nora Roberts book I've ever read. I can't really say why I've never read any of her books before. I guess I just never went looking for them, and this is the first one that found its way to me.

I really enjoyed both of the stories in this book. The only "bad" thing I have to say is that in the first story "The Winning Hand", there was an over-use of gambling metaphors, such as "I'm betting on you" and things of that nature. I realize it was se
Amanda Chalifoux
This book was great. I Love how it had two books in one. The first Story is about Robert MacGregor Blade and how he meets Darcy Wallace; she ran away from an ex-fiance and her car broke down so she walked the rest of the way to the Casino that Robert Owned and she fed in her last couple bucks into a slot machine and won the jack-pot. So it gets into how he helps her find all these finical people to help her, who happen to be family and help her make good investments for her money. She finally te ...more
Gabrielle
Mar 29, 2014 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I fell in love with this book instantly. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. I always loved Nora Roberts' books and this one doesn't disappoint. This book has two stories in it. The Winning Hand and The Perfect Neighbor. The Winning Hand- is about a woman named Darcy who spends her last 3 dollars at a casino in Vegas and amazingly enough wins the jackpot. Once she figures out that she won she tells the Casino manager and all that he wants to do is protect her. Robert MacGregor however is goi ...more
Bridget
I am not going to review every Nora Roberts book that I have read in the past because she is quite prolific and it would get redundant and I honestly cannot remember all the plots. I think someone finds someone else attractive but at least one cannot admit it so there is sexual tension, then lots of sex, and then they live happily ever after? Sometimes there is some magic , a family legacy, or a mystery. Certainly not great works of literature (however still 100% better than “the grapes of wrath ...more
Shannon C.
3.5 stars: Fun beach read

I really like this light hearted, humorous series. Great characters. Endearing and hard to put down. I've read most of the books in this series and enjoyed them all. Not realizing it was part of a series, I started with MagGregor Brides (the one with the MacGregor acting as matchmaker for his grandaughters). It was hiliarous. I was hooked.

My favs in the series are the later books with three generations of MacGregors and the matchmaking, meddlesome grandfather. I actuall
Victoria
Aug 25, 2011 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The MacGregor series all have a similar quality, but I can't get enough of it. This book had me smirking through out. All the characters had an entertaining quality and I couldn't put it down. I like how Roberts continues to bring in characters from the other books especially The MacGregor who gets more charming with each book. I've always had a soft spot for Serena and Justin so I was glad to see them play a big part in Mac's story.

It was great to catch up with Grant and Gennie with Cybil's sto
Heather
Mar 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
After reading the last of the MacGregor series I feel reveiws have become redundant.
2 in 1 book. I read the first as a single and dont feel like reveiing it again. The 2nd story is about Cybil Campbell and Preston McQuinn. Cute sensible no long distant marriage bells romance flames up between these two. Lots of things happen some funny parts. Bam they are in love he is afaid she breaks it off runs home. Lala cant live without you the end.
I did like the book as a good read but not one of my fav
Dawn
Jan 26, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked both books. Robert "Mac" Blade manages the Comanche casino in Las Vegas. Darcy Wallace, a librarian from Kansas, runs to Vegas to start over. With her last dollars, she hits the jackpot and wins almost $2 million. They fall in love. :o)
Cybil Campbell, a cartoonist like her father, Grant Campbell, falls in love with Preston McQuinn, a playwright who wants his privacy (like Grant Campbell.) Daniel MacGregor matched them up by allowing Preston to stay in the apartment across the hall from C
Janet
Aug 22, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading the winning hand because darcy wallace put robert macgregor blade in his place when he tries to look out for her but ends up falling in love with her instead but he has to take the biggest gamble of his life is he ready.
preston fall in love with his perfect neighbour cybil campbell but is the meddle macgregor at work again.
June Marino
Jan 19, 2014 June Marino rated it really liked it
Shelves: donated-2015
Enjoyed these two novels in the MacGregor family saga. Darcy Wallace tries to escape from her abusive husband and wins the jackpot at a Vegas casino. She eventually meets of the love of her life Robert McGregor Blade and romance ensues.
Preston McQuinn moves into a new apartment in NYC and meets a perfect neighbor Cybil Campbell. Interesting tale of love and romance.
Denise Link
Mar 06, 2015 Denise Link rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It was nice to catch up with The MacGregor and his clan again. I have read several of the books on the series, and they are always amusing and exactly what I expect. The trick is to find all the books that contain the same novels so I don't buy one I've already read under a different title. Goodreads, it seems like you should be able to add some code that will do that for us!!
Tara
Mar 04, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the MacGregors, I wish I could be apart of this family! This book was good. My fav part of the book was the 1st story with Mac! That story just proved you have to be in the right place at the right time and anything can and will happen.
Margaret
Nov 05, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, in effect, very well-written mindless drivel. It is great when you need a break from the complexities of unique plots and genuine characters. The writing is beautiful, but it is not mentally stimulating, which is exactly what I need in a book the day after an Organic Chemistry exam.
Jen Taylor
Nov 27, 2011 Jen Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last of the wonderful MacGregor series...I hope Nora Roberts continues on with this amazing, dynamic family. I love reading about all of them so much. "The MacGregor" has a few more grandchildren to "meddle" with and I hope to read their stories also.
Cara
Feb 15, 2011 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories all have a similar quality. But I find it comforting. This book had me smirking through out. The characters had an entertaining quality and I couldn't put it down, similar or not. They are entertaining and easy and fun and everything I want from a book at this point in my life.
Niki
I love Nora Roberts and her easy and quick to read romance novels that always help take you away for just a few hours. Of all of Nora Roberts series I love The MacGregors the most the story of the families, the setting is so enjoyable.
Sheila
Jan 25, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rewarded myself after a long week with this book, two of my favorite MacGregor books in one. I love the characterization in this--particularly Darcy's wide-eyed wonder and her slowly growing self-confidence, and Cybill's cheerful nosiness.
RUSI HAKIM
Jul 17, 2007 RUSI HAKIM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-robert
gw suka ma buku ini.. dmn mereka tetangga-an tapi bertolak belakang kepribadiannya.. gw suka karakter cowoknya yang cool and kakek si cewek (daniel macgregors yang ga pernah bosen nyombalangin anak and cucu nya
Ellie
May 03, 2012 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Nora Roberts always manages to capture the heart in her stories. She made me a fan of the MacGregors, can't wait to read her other books about them. I truly laughed and cried with her characters. A Robert's fan shouldn't miss this book.
Mudpie
Dec 26, 2014 Mudpie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful characters...I like both couples very much but I must say the guys are pretty dense and have to be hit over the head to have the light bulb on. But they grovel pretty well so it's satisfactory haha...
Damarisrosario
I like it I loved cybil story I do feel like her story had so much potential n it was thrown out the window I feel like sumthinng was missing from her story I was not the biggest fan of Roberts story but I feel like cybil story had potential to be so gud but she had them Hav sumthing too quickly
Amy  M. Brobst
May 29, 2008 Amy M. Brobst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Nora Roberts and romance
Recommended to Amy by: No one. NR title.
Stephanie
Feb 20, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book. The booked lacked the "what's going to happen" moment that I enjoy. So many of Nora Roberts books have some mystery and drama in them as well. That was not the case with this story, but I enjoyed it never the less.
Apr 25, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noraroberts
While I've always been a fan of Nora Roberts and thus far have really enjoyed her MacGregory series, this one wasn't as well done as the previous ones I've read. I enjoyed the story about Mac and Darcy but didn't care for the second half that involved Cybil.
Jessica B
Apr 03, 2009 Jessica B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts, own, 2009
I love the MacGregor series by Nora. They are an absolutely delicious read. I read a fantastic review for this book and decided I needed to pick it up ASAP. It was a great choice. Another great one from Nora.
Anita
Aug 18, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone at all
Oh my god! To have been Darcy Wallace, Millionairess in just what time it takes to drop a Slot Machine lever. Seriously! What luck she fell into. ..... Then there is Cybil MacGregor's romantic tryst. The boy next door & all involved.
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Nora Roberts
  • Bump in the Night (includes In Death, #22.5)
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • Fallen Angels: Beguiled/Wanton/Uncovered (PI & Men to the Rescue #1-2; Men of Courage #3)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Awakening Avery
  • The Manning Brides (Those Manning Men, #1-2)
  • Sierra's Homecoming (McKettricks, #5)
  • The Wedding Dress (The McDaniels, #3)
  • Whirlwind (Welcome to Tyler, #1)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...

The MacGregors (9 books)
  • Playing The Odds (The MacGregors, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)
  • All The Possibilities (The MacGregors, #3)
  • One Man's Art (The MacGregors, #4)
  • For Now, Forever (The MacGregors, #5)
  • The MacGregor Brides (MacGregors, #6)
  • The Winning Hand (The MacGregors, #7)
  • The MacGregor Grooms (MacGregors, #8)
  • The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #9)

“It feels like Scotland." "Have you ever been?" "Mmmm. Twice. Have you?" "No." "You should. It's your roots. You'll be surprised how much they tug at you when you breathe the air in the Highlands or look out at a lowland loch.” 2 likes