Start by marking “Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes” as Want to Read:
Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes

Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,693 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Joy the Baker Cookbook includes everything from "Man Bait" Apple Crisp to Single Lady Pancakes to Peanut Butter Birthday Cake. Joy's philosophy is that everyone loves dessert; most people are just looking for an excuse to eat cake for breakfast.

"When I first heard the name 'Joy the Baker, ' I immediately felt happy and warm. I couldn't help it. And in the years I've gotten
Published February 28th 2012 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Joy the Baker Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy the Baker Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
251st out of 993 books — 988 voters
The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook by Jennifer AppelThe America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book by America's Test KitchenBaking Illustrated by Cook's Illustrated MagazineHeirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters by Marilynn BrassMartha Stewart's Baking Handbook by Martha Stewart
Cookbooks on Baking
53rd out of 107 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I love Joy the Baker. My butt should not-because I see it growing. I love everything I've made from this cookbook but the brownies with the buttercream icing have to be one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth.
Sorry the pic isn't the greatest. Couldn't be still long enough to take a good picture. Had to eat brownies. There is Ovaltine in that icing folks. Best stuff ever. Chocolate crack.

I've tried several of these recipes and they have all turned out very well including the cheddar
Jun 08, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I don't know if I'd buy this book, but definitely check it out from your local library! The recipes are different, and mainly sweets (though a few fried items have been thrown in for good measure). The main attraction here is her love of peanut butter - there are several really amazing peanut butter related recipes that you've got to try. If you don't like the peanut butter and bacon cookies you may not be human;)

If you like to bake and are looking for some different ideas, this is worth checkin
Natalie Jo
Feb 21, 2016 Natalie Jo rated it really liked it
I've just discovered how relaxing it is to read a cookbook all the way through. It's also wonderful to read it through so you can make a prioritized baking plan. My sister and I made the Texas Sheet Cake tonight, and it was a definite five stars. Delicioso!
Deb
Mar 07, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
I don't give a lot of 5 star reviews, I tend to hover in the 3-4 star range when I like a book but the Joy the Baker Cookbook gets 5 stars from me. I had the opportunity to read through it thoroughly and cook along with it each week for a month during a Cookbook Spotlight blog event. As much as I am not a baker, I love this book. It is engaging, well-written, has gorgeous photos taken by the blogger/author herself and the four recipes I made were delicious and easy to follow. It's a great additi ...more
Clare
Feb 02, 2013 Clare rated it it was ok
Confession time: I'd love to be a single gal living in LA, baking carrot cake pancakes or bacon leek quiche at 3 in the morning with an Anthropologie apron and kitten heels. Instead I'm a married mother of 4 living in Minne-SNOW-ta.

Unfortunately, most of these recipes were a bust in this house, with the exception of The Best ever Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting. It truly is the best butter cream frosting I've EVER made.
Erin
Mar 16, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recipes
This is a beautiful book; Joy follows her usual blog standard with tons of awesome pictures of practically every recipe. And they're well written and easy to follow recipes at that. Can't wait to make them all.

As the little diamond sub-title says, this book is fore sure a celebration of sugar and butter!
Mar 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
First recipe I ever found that turned out delicious, unburned kettle corn at home :)
Jul 09, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
As much fun to read as it is tasty.
Joan
Nov 03, 2012 Joan rated it it was amazing
I recently won this from The Inspired Dish Blog. Cathy who runs the blog had Joy send the book to me and Joy graciously autographed it to me personally. I only knew a little about Joy and her blog before winning the book so I did some investigating and found she has lots of great recipes and interesting writing on her blog, Joy the Baker.

Her book is just as wonderful as her blog. I love that the book has a photo for every recipe. I have so many recipes marked to try and have already gave quite a
Debby
Dec 27, 2012 Debby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The reason I give this book five stars, is because I want to devour almost every recipe. That says a lot. I downloaded the iPad version, and I am very happy with this format. Joy's photos are beautifully done. They're styled, very simply, so that they look delicious but appealing to even the beginner baker. I love the way Joy writes, with humor and raw honesty.
I have to respond to someone who gave a so-so rating and commented that "it's mostly baked goods". Hello? Read the title. Yes, it's all
Maximilian
May 01, 2013 Maximilian rated it really liked it
I love cookbooks like these. The kind that are written by self taught cooks. They seem so real. when I say that I mean that they make me feel that I can make delicious food even though I am a novice baker.
Don't get me wrong, I love reading about gourmet food and gourmet ingredients for example practically every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering The Art of French Cooking, but reading a book like this makes me feel like I don't have to run out to my local gourmet store for one ingredient I know I
Tina
Nov 15, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I made several recipes from this book. So far I have made the cheddar chive biscuits, whole wheat goat cheese biscuits and Flax Seed Crackers. I loved the cheddar biscuits, the whole wheat biscuits were just OK and the crackers were a learning experience. I had always wanted to make crackers and my first attempt here wasn't a fail but it wasn't totally successful either. But that was on me as I needed to roll the dough out a bit thinner.

Pros: The book is lightweight and not cumbersome to carry o
Lee
May 14, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing
Things I loved about this cookbook...

...the humor and personality! I really enjoyed reading the introduction to each recipe, in part because it sounds a lot like how my friends and I talk about food.

...the mouth-watering variety of recipes. Yes, it has the word "baker" in the title, but there are all different kinds of recipes to tempt you.

...the full-color photos, one for every recipe. They're gorgeous.

...the guidelines she includes for each recipe of how long the dish will keep (and whether it
Julie Brock
Apr 26, 2015 Julie Brock rated it really liked it
After sampling her marshmallow-popcorn-corn flake snack (not in this cookbook, but on her website), I was eager to see what else she could come up with. I was put off by the 20 ingredients in her pancakes and 21 ingredients in her cinnamon rolls. However, she redeemed herself with a couple of Bourbon recipes with a more reasonable 6-8 ingredients. Everything sounds and looks delicious in this book, but I need EASY. :)
Carol
Jan 27, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
While she is not a pastry chef, she has a great love of butter and an understanding that simple recipes can yield the best results. Her blueberry muffin recipe is the only one I use, and her peanut butter cake recipe has been used many times over for birthdays! Also, there are pictures with every recipe. Win!
Heather
Mar 21, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
I love Joy's blog, so it was practically pre-determined that I would enjoy this cookbook. How could you not, when there's things like peach cobbler muffins and oatmeal cookie pancakes?? I love the 1:1 ratio of picture to recipe.
Daisy
Dec 03, 2014 Daisy rated it liked it
Cute.
Baked Coffee Cake French Toast, I'll try that. There are a couple of cast iron skillet recipes. And there's a pancake recipe for one person and a tiny individual chocolate cake recipe. Good ideas.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
i loved the whole thing i think out of the whole cookbook there was only one thing out of it that i would not make. it all sounded delicious the only thing i wish is that there were more pictures.
Victoria
Mar 13, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Fun and conversational, she is a fun blogger & author. Simple or complicated, clear instructions. Copied a few easy recipes.
Sheila
Jun 04, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I don't read Joy's blog, but after reading her cookbook I'm wondering why not! Her writing is delightful and encouraging, and the recipes she shares sound scrumptious.

She includes a great introduction with lots of helpful information which would be useful to novice bakers. Most of the recipes include gorgeous photographs, helping you know how the finished product is supposed to look.

I wish she'd included weights, so I wouldn't have to convert from the volume measurements she provides.

I haven't
Suzanne
Jul 21, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
If it were possible to make love to a cookbook...

And apparently others have felt the same. About every ten pages or so, I will find crumbs or flour dust between the pages. On the one hand, I understand. These recipes demand an immediate baking. On the other hand, come on, people! Library books are communal books!

All the more reason to buy my very own copy.

Everything I have tried so far is glorious, but I especially recommend the vegan pumpkin walnut bread and the banana rum cake with brown butte
Rachel
Aug 09, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure I've been on her blog before, to check out a recipe or two, but never really looked at it. This cookbook was awesome, full of not only amazing recipes like Chocolate Malted Buttercream Frosting and Oatmeal Raspberry Ginger Scones, but also it had a really personal funny family touch as well. I enjoy it when bloggers/cookbook writers tell you about family history and anecdotes and not just make it all about the food. It gives their story personality and makes you want to come back ...more
Dietra Henschel
Excellent book. Love how she comes up with different recipes, and how she makes baking fun!
Christina
May 21, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing
I love the recipes in this cookbook! I think the tone of the writing & photography works a bit better in blog form, but really, the tasty recipes are what makes this book worthwhile. My favorite recipes so far: chocolate bundt cake w/sour cream glaze, single lady pancakes, and the chocolate and black pepper goat cheese truffles.

Even if you don't buy the book, check out the single lady pancake recipe: http://joythebaker.com/2010/07/the-si... It's one bigass pancake, ie a recipe proportioned
Amy
May 24, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
"A celebration of butter and sugar." That's what the cover promised and it delivered!

I follow Joy's blog and was SO excited to get her cookbook! I wondered if the recipes were ones already posted and I was thrilled that these were all brand new.

Joy's recipes are easy to follow, include big color pictures of all the recipes and really neat helpful tips. My kids were so fascinated with this book that they stole it and marked every page they wanted me to try. (Yes,it was pretty much all of them!)

I
Linds
Jun 14, 2016 Linds rated it really liked it
Innovative flavors. Good recipes for a novice/amateur baker
Sara
Apr 17, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cookbooks
this book is perfection. please let me bake for you!
Hannah benke
Sep 08, 2015 Hannah benke rated it it was amazing
The BEST CRUMB CAKE I HAVE EVER PUT IN MY MOUTH.
Melissa
Jun 09, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
All of the recipes I've made so far have been delicious, and for those most part, they're pretty simple to veganize, as well. For example, I made the peanut butter cake with a no-soy homemade vegan butter and egg replacer, topped with the peanut butter cream cheese frosting (using the same vegan butter and storebought tofu "cream cheese"), and it was to-die-for.
Paula
Jul 11, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
It is an ok book, just some odd recipes.
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • Real Snacks: Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without All the Junk
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Home Made Winter
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook: 100 Delicious Heritage Recipes from the Farm and Garden
  • The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Recipes from the World-Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces