Cartoon Guide to Genetics

Cartoon Guide to Genetics (Cartoon Guides)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  434 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Have you ever asked yourself:

Are spliced genes the same as mended Levis?

Watson and Crick? Aren't they a team of British detectives?

Plant sex? Can they do that?

Is Genetic Mutation the name of one of those heavy metal bands?

Asparagine? Which of the four food groups is that in?

Then you need The Cartoon Guide to Genetics to explain the important concepts of classical and moder...more
Published August 14th 1991 by Collins Reference (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Cartoon Guide to Genetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cartoon Guide to Genetics

Aleisha Z Coleman
Nov 09, 2009 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: geeks of genetics
Recommended to Aleisha Z by: abcte board
this was a bit better than the the cartoon guide to chemistry. maybe i know more about it so that it makes it so, but it was definitely less formula driven. a good review for me in some areas, enough knowledge of key experiments and people and concepts to take a test to certify in Biology. I hope.
 Lio  Proeliator
Extra Simplified Introduction to Genetics For Specialists and non-specialists, I recommend It For Every one :).
Chris
Mar 09, 2014 Chris added it
A classic. No need to read The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science. Just read the whole Gonick series. (See also The Cartoon Guide to Physics, etc.)
Tomi Pakei
Lagi: bukan untuk awam
Percakapan antara dua bunga ibu dan anak:
"Gadisku, mari ibu ceritakan tentang burung-burung dan manusia.."

"Saya sudah tahu itu sejak di selokan, Bu."
Ini mungkin ada faktor penterjemahan, tetapi humor Gonick memang payah. Maksudnya jelas agar membacanya lebih santai, tapi buku ini kadang seperti terlalu ngotot untuk melawak (joke tentang pengantar susu ysng di tahun 80-an saja rasanya sudah mulai usang, entah berapa kali nongol di sini).

Isinya relatif komplet (bahkan hingga...more
Andrew
Rare is the book by Larry Gonick that does not deserve the highest of praise. He can take the most convoluted of subjects, and through the power of his simple, yet emotive sketches, explain technical subjects with more clarity than the best university professor.

The Cartoon Guide to Genetics is very much out of date, these days, but it is still an excellent primer on the state of knowledge about genetics up to and including the 1980's. Gonick explores the early ideas of dominant and recessive gen...more
Andrew Lenards
So the project I work on is related, currently, to phylogeny (or how things are related). These relationships are built with molecular data, genes. Gonick & Wheelis create a beautiful guided conversation on the topic of genetics. They bring you from the most early understanding of the world to the current meddling of genetic engineering and transgenic manipulation. This book has given me the proper foundation needed to grok what is available on wikipedia and other sources. Hokey, campy, or g...more
Cblythe303
This was a great/funny intro to the history of genetics. Wish there was an updated version
Abigail
a witty and easily understood look at genetics. however, since it's older than i am (copyright 1983), if i ever use it to teach, i'm going to have to update it a little -- maybe post-it notes with my own little drawings?
M0rningstar
The author does a great job of clarifying some complex concepts, both through textual explanations and illustrations. Even though I had no problems with the course material, I still found this book useful as a fun, relaxing way of consolidating some of what was learned in class (beats going through the course pack!) For those who find their human biology or intro-level genetics courses challenging, this book is a painless primer that will make it easier to follow the course material.
Katra
I've always wanted to have a grasp of genetics but was frankly afraid to poke my nose in the intimidating books on the subject. The cartoon approach was inviting and amazingly packed with a great deal of information. I'm certainly not ready to start splicing genes at this point, but the fact that I now know basically what that entails gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I would definitely recommend this book as an introduction to the subject.
Vera Maharani
Dec 02, 2013 Vera Maharani rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-IBO students, every beginner who wants to understand genetic
Recommended to Vera by: My father
This is awesome.

Ever think biology sucks? And genetics...what the hell is that?

I find this book funny and helps me a lot to learn genetics. Yes, the 'simpler' one like Mendellian genetics to the 'more complicated' one like molecular genetics! I first read it back in junior high and I could understand it well, even back then. Every so-called 'hard' subjects should be cartooned!
Gracia Aiia
I got this book as a bday gift from my beloved friend in my senior year. She knew how I loved genetics. Needless to say that I fell in love at the first read :)
this book is the collaboration of Larry Gonick and Mark Wheelis. It is very well-illustrated. You'll grasp the basics of Genetics in no time. This book never bores me.
Shreyas
An excellent intro to the field and it manages to get pretty deep for a beginners guide, while keeping the reader engaged. Some of the material is a little dated at this point - would be neat to see an updated version that talks about genomics and bioinformatics.
Derek Bridge
I bought this on the back of enjoying The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry and a strong recommendation from someone highly knowledgeable in genetics. It did not disappoint. Its explanations are remarkably clear, especially considering how deep they go.
Rebecca
Ever find a book that explains something so simply that you can't help but understand? This book was that for me. I put the book down understanding phenotypes and genotypes in a way I never had before. Besides that, the graphics are A LOT of fun.
Sara
No better than Mark Schultz's The Stuff of Life. Reads like a textbook, but completely illustrated (and, the illustrations are obviously cartoons so they're slightly more attention-holding than those of a textbook).
Kirstin DeGeer
If you've been through Bio 101 and actually understood the the section on genetics, then this book is a review. Otherwise, it's a cute introduction to a difficult subject.
Martin
Absolutely loved it- It's funny and educational at the same time! It helped me refresh the main concepts in genetics that I had studied in high school.
Chad
As cringe-inducing as the attempted humor was to me, it was easily forgiven when I realized I was actually learning things in spite of it.
Ms Joe
Wanna know more about genetic in comic??? u can find it out in this book.. Interesting, funny, and easy to understand..
~Lyn~
Buku ini menjelaskan seluk-beluk genetika, mulai dari pewarisan sifat Mendel sampai biologi molekuler.
Henrikhus
Gw baca ini buku udah dua kali tapi baru ngerti dikit kayaknya perlu diulang2 baru fully understood.
Indah Threez Lestari
542 - 2013

#Program BUBU

----------------

Sebelumnya dibeli dan dibaca tahun 2007
Anna
Great book that tells the topic inrelatively simple and accessible terms.
mina
Menggambarkan genetika secara kartun itu tidak mudah. Tapi cukup membantu.
Designoid
It's not only educational, it's funny too!
Sanjin Alajbegovic
Fun way to brush-up on your basic genetics!
ylin002
the b.s. (biology) in me loved this.
Bagus Briliana
ini jg sama. baru mau gw baca.
Raghu
The right book for the right time.
  • Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Biology as Ideology: The Doctrine of DNA
  • Higher Superstition: The Academic Left and Its Quarrels with Science
  • Molecular Biology of the Cell
  • The Roving Mind
  • The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos
  • Gorgon: The Monsters That Ruled the Planet Before Dinosaurs and HowThey Died in the Greatest Catastrophe in Earth's History
  • Looking For Group, Volume 1
  • Evolution: The Story of Life on Earth
  • The Skull in the Rock: How a Scientist, a Boy, and Google Earth Opened a New Window on Human Origins
  • The Secret House: The Extraordinary Science of an Ordinary Day
  • DNA: The Secret of Life
  • I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! (The Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks, #1)
  • Duo Hippo Dinamis : Tersesat di Byzantium
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • Biochemistry
Larry Gonick (born 1946) is a cartoonist best known for The Cartoon History of the Universe, a history of the world in comic book form, which he has been publishing in installments since 1977. He has also written The Cartoon History of the United States, and he has adapted the format for a series of co-written guidebooks on other subjects, beginning with The Cartoon Guide to Genetics in 1983. The...more
More about Larry Gonick...
Cartoon History of the Universe I, Vol. 1-7: From the Big Bang to Alexander the Great Cartoon History of the Universe II, Vol. 8-13: From the Springtime of China to the Fall of Rome The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 1: From Columbus to the U.S. Constitution Cartoon History of the United States