Start by marking “Book: A Futurist's Manifesto” as Want to Read:
Book: A Futurist's Manifesto

Book: A Futurist's Manifesto

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  12 reviews

The ground beneath the book publishing industry dramatically shifted in 2007, the year the Kindle and the iPhone debuted. Widespread consumer demand for these and other devices has brought the pace of digital change in book publishing from "it might happen sometime" to "it’s happening right now"—and it is happening faster than anyone predicted.

Yet this is only a transition

Published by Pressbooks (first published October 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book

Koen Verbrugge
A great read, from Brian O'Leary's great opening article 'Context, Not containers' untill the 'readers bill of rights' by Kassia Krosser.
To be honest, only 6 articles really caught my attention, which is not a problem since you can skim through the other parts without missing out. To me the other 12 parts felt like a bonus.
The articles that did matter gave me great insight in some publishing startups, the consequences of DRM and the interdependencies between publishers and e-reader software.
David Sky
Sep 26, 2012 David Sky marked it as to-read
I first heard about this book on the CBC podcast/radio-show Spark (episode 190: Rituals, Reality, Reading) and started reading it for free, online at
Jan 14, 2014 Cheryl marked it as to-read
Recommended to Cheryl by: Saw on Liz's list
Shelves: ddc-000
McGuire's the founder of LibriVox!
Awesome - Looking forward to reading more of this and all the subsequent updates.
R.Scot Johns
Part 1: The Setup

Mixed bag of essays aimed for the most part at medium to large scale publishing houses whose outmoded production model is in flux. While much of the content is of little use to indie authors and other content creators, the overall discussion of the changing landscape of publishing is informative and enlightening (if often pedantic and heavy-handed).

Of most value and interest for myself (as an author and independent publisher) were Liza Daly's essay on "What We Can Do with Books"
This is, as the subtitle promises, a book of essays. Consequently there’s no central theme: essayists explore the future of the book from the vantage point of their own piece of the publishing industry. I found the most value in the overall rather than the specific essays.

“It is time to see publishing as a whole—newspapers, magazines, and books—as part of a disrupted continuum. Digital makes convergence not only possible—it has made convergence inevitable. Marketers have become publishers, publi
Ami Iida
Jun 02, 2015 Ami Iida rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: interested in e-books
Shelves: ict
Books and e-books are different
What is the difference?
paper books have been continued to read more than 2000 years .
It has been released current e-books.

Many avid readers hate e-books.
There are several functions of e-book reader that paper books cannot be.
E-books have the future of every books.
I expect them.
Jay McNair
Lots of the articles felt like must-reads for emerging digital issues in publishing—impressive. Also free. Some duds.
I enjoyed reading this book, and many of the chapters still hold up well over the time which has passed since publication. This is a rapidly changing area. Some of the chapters were worth fives stars, but some others changed this view. The diverse chapters provide an over view of possible futures for books, based on current information. It is not a book of scenarios, but of extrapolations from current behaviour.
Great survey of some threads currently unraveling in the publishing world. The book is a few years old at this point but many of the articles are still relevant and the issues they address are in the same place they were years ago.
Librarians! Read this! Please.
Or at least this essay by Craig Mod, mind-blowing:
I am good in various ways
Jeremy John
Jeremy John is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2015
Challenge Me
Challenge Me marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Nick Anderson
Nick Anderson is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2015
D W marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Caitlin Weaver
Caitlin Weaver marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Jake Steier
Jake Steier marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Celia Saura
Celia Saura marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Camille Thomas
Camille Thomas is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2015
Lcypert marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Simon Lee
Simon Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Shrini Vasan
Shrini Vasan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Merchants of Culture: The Publishing Business in the Twenty-First Century
  • Reframing Academic Leadership
  • Education's End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life
  • Dear Woman
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption
  • Crazy Is a Compliment: Taking Smart Risks in the Pursuit of Big Dreams
  • 4000 Years of Uppity Women
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • The View From The Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way In An Uncertain World
  • Ambient Findability: What We Find Changes Who We Become
  • Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder
  • Geek Heresy: Rescuing Social Change from the Cult of Technology
  • We Are Everywhere: The Irresistible Rise of Global Anti-Capitalism
  • Content Everywhere: Strategy and Structure for Future-Ready Content
  • I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted

“When content scarcity was the norm, we could live with a minimum of context. In a limited market, our editors became skilled in making decisions about what would be published. Now, in an era of abundance, editors have inherited a new and fundamentally different role: figuring out how “what is published” will be discovered.” 2 likes