Start by marking “Red Winter (The Cowboy and the Vampire, #0)” as Want to Read:
Red Winter (The Cowboy and the Vampire, #0)

Red Winter (The Cowboy and the Vampire 0)

Sheriff Early Hardiman has seen a lot of bad things in his life, but nothing could have prepared him for the first Vampire to visit the Old West. It’s 1890 and winter is closing like a noose around tiny LonePine, Wyoming. When the snows come and the train stops and the passes are buried, there’s only one way to leave LonePine — boots up in a pine box. For Sheriff Hardiman, ...more
Published (first published August 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Red Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Winter

Cassie
Nov 11, 2011 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers
Shelves: vampire
Yes! A country western Vampire story! I live in the south so this caught my attention right away and I’m glad it did. Red Winter is a pre quell novella to The Cowboy and the Vampire which I have yet to read but want too a.s.a.p. The author has crafted this book in a way that it will resonate with old western and vampire lovers alike. With just the right amount of southern slang and western detail the book feels authentic to the time. Topped off with horses, guns, saloons, detailed gore, and a ...more
Elke
Kind of like a prequel to the Cowboy&Vampire series, Red Winter tells the story of the presumably first vampire encounter in Lone Pine, Wyoming. One harsh winter, when Lone Pine is cut off again by the snow, a series of gruesome murders take place. When a stranger appears out of nowhere, sheriff Early Hardiman soon has a guess as to who may be the murderer...

This short story is very straightforward with a good measure of bloodshed and only a little romance, while it does not waste any time w
Majanka
Nov 14, 2011 Majanka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, horror, vampires
Red Winter is an eBook novella set in the universe and time period of the first published novel of writers duo Kathleen McFall and Clark Hays: The Cowboy and The Vampire. It’s perfectly readable as a stand-alone book as well, the way I did it. I’m planning on reading The Cowboy and The Vampire as well, because I thoroughly enjoyed this novella, but time issues are currently holding me back. Anyway, let’s get going with the review!

At roughly 30 pages, Red Winter is a fast read, but it’s definitel
Niina
Nov 04, 2011 Niina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboys
1890. LonePine is a small town closing in for the winter… Sheriff Hardiman is taken to see the body of miner, the savage death with no clue of who could have done it. It doesn’t take long before a whore is found dead in her bed and Hardiman focuses his attention to the new man in town, Mr. Whisper, a man who doesn’t fit in. But there is more to Whisper than death, something no one ever saw coming.

This story was the first horror I’ve read in a long time and I now recall why I use to like reading
Melania
Nov 13, 2011 Melania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Red Winter is a nice little cozy read with a bite. After reading The Cowboy and the Vampire last winter I had been dying for some more paranormal western action.

Red Winter takes place in Lone Pine, WY- the same town Tucker is from in Cowboy and Vampire. It's set back in the wild wild west of the 1800's. As winter sets in a visitor arrives in town leaving a bloody trail in his wake.

The town sheriff, Early, (awesome name) has his hands full as he tries to put an end to the blood-bath and kill th
Read2review
Feb 05, 2013 Read2review rated it really liked it
This is my first experience with The Cowboy and the Vampire series. I have been meaning to read it for ages and this was the perfect start, my interest has been well and truly kindled.

Red Winter is about the town LonePine in Wyoming in year 1890. The towns sherrif Early, my only complaint is that Early is a confusing name, is investigating a suspicious murder at the start which soon turns into more gruceme deaths. A strange figure Jericho Whistler comes into the town and Early starts to suspect
Karen
Oct 24, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire, horror fans
This is a well written short story that takes place in a small old west town in 1890. The author’s descriptive words allow you to easily visualize the town and the people that populate it. You are going to like Sheriff Early Hardiman; you just know he’s seen it all, yet he’s faced with another challenge that could very well be his last. Something evil has come to LonePine and is leaving bloody, mutilated bodies in its wake. As the tension escalates the sheriff worries about how he can defeat ...more
Suzie Quint
Nov 24, 2011 Suzie Quint rated it really liked it
I was delighted to find this short by Clark Hays. I loved The Cowboy & the Vampire, and I've looked occasionally to see if the author had published anything else but never found anything.

I may be biased toward this because I enjoyed C&V so much, but one seldom sees vampire stories outside of certain contexts, so setting a vampire story in the old West makes this short story feel unique and more original than most. It also makes it hard to categorize. Let's see . . . Not a quite a romance
Grampy
Mar 10, 2012 Grampy rated it it was amazing
Red Winter is a captivating concept, well-written, and quite interesting. I absolutely cannot wait to pickup (or download) a copy of The Cowboy and the Vampire. I have every reason to believe it will be just as good. Then this spring/summer Blood and Whiskey is due out; another book I will definitely want to read. Clark Hays has rocketed to the top of my list of favorite authors! And I reckon he'll be a-settin' there a spell...!
Carol Fitzgerald
Mar 30, 2015 Carol Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
I loved this short story. Short though it was, it fully kept my attention from the first page to the last. Only thing that could have made it better would to have been even longer. Maybe the author will consider rewriting it in future and adding to it. Would really like to read more about Early and Grace as they were very interesting characters. Aside from that, nothing more I could ask for. Two of my favorite loves in one story is always good for me: Cowboys and vampires.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Jan 14, 2012 Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe) rated it really liked it
In honor of the snow we received overnight, I wanted to read a book with a winter setting. This short story was perfect - I hate winter and the snow, so what would be worse than being snowed in while a hungry vampire slowly picked off your neighbors? Quick, suspenseful read, perfect for a chilly Saturday morning.

Full review soon at www.mangamaniaccafe.com

Kim
Aug 09, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Interesting novella, about the Wild West with a dark visitor determined to end a town and a quick draw sheriff who will serve and protect under any circumstance.
Edwin Voskamp
Edwin Voskamp rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Clark Hays
Oct 30, 2011 Clark Hays rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
ANNA   MAY    L.    GAKO
ANNA MAY L. GAKO rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Samir Shah
Samir Shah rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Guillaume
Guillaume rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Loren Baxter
Loren Baxter rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Kathleen McFall
Kathleen McFall rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Erin Cole
Erin Cole marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2011
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2012
Myruna
Myruna marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2012
Zoraida
Zoraida marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2012
April
April marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2012
Kristina Hansen
Kristina Hansen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2012
Michelle Cristiani
Michelle Cristiani marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
Pinkflamingo8838
Pinkflamingo8838 marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Angelique Asher
Angelique Asher marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
Emonie
Emonie marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2012
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Cynthisa
Cynthisa marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Louisa
Louisa marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Alison G.
Alison G. marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Bobby
Bobby marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Maisha
Maisha marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Anna Lundblad
Anna Lundblad marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
I'm a writer, lapsed poet and former cowboy living in Portland, Oregon, with my lovely life and writing partner Kathleen McFall. We've written four books together so far: The Cowboy and the Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance, The Cowboy and the Vampire: Blood and Whiskey, The Cowboy and the Vampire: Rough Trails and Shallow Graves and The Cowboy and the Vampire: The Last Sunset.

Learn more about the b
More about Clark Hays...

The Cowboy and the Vampire (4 books)
  • The Cowboy and the Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance
  • The Cowboy and the Vampire: Blood and Whiskey (The Cowboy and the Vampire, #2)
  • The Cowboy and the Vampire: Rough Trails and Shallow Graves  (The Cowboy and the Vampire, #3)