Start by marking “Ship of Destiny” as Want to Read:
Ship of Destiny

Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders #3)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,115 Ratings  ·  671 Reviews
Majestic and sweeping, 'Ship of Destiny' concludes the tale of the Vestrit family and their part in the history of the Liveship Traders with a soaring and triumphant finale to this unique series of epic fantasy.
Mass Market Paperback, 903 pages
Published (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ship of Destiny, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Franco  Santos
No intentes alcanzar las estrellas cuando estés rodeada del ancho mar.
Reseña general sin "spoilers":

Con una trama que partía de una idea sencilla, esta autora me llevó por las corrientes de un mar agresivo y caprichoso hacia el surgimiento de un relato sinfónico. Un relato largo, que se toma su tiempo para golpear, pero que, cuando lo hace, el derramamiento de sangre es seguro. Y la sangre recuerda. La sangre es identidad, y una parte de mi identidad se fue a bordo de las naves que vuelan en s
helen the bookowl
Jan 27, 2016 helen the bookowl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did it! I finished it! My reading of these three 900-page-books has been quite a journey, but in the end I'm glad I stuck to the end and got a great reading experience out of it.
This is the last book in the trilogy, so obviously I can't tell you too much about the story. However, I can tell you that this last installment was quite breathtaking and intense. With this novel, I finally felt a deep connection to all of the characters, maybe because I've been following their journeys for so many p
David Sven
Jul 17, 2013 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Robin Hobb delivers a highly satisfying finale to an enjoyable fantasy series. If you have read The Farseer Trilogy and are debating whether to read this trilogy next or skip ahead to the Tawny Man trilogy – I can’t recommend The Liveships Trilogy enough. I think there are little tidbits throughout to reward those who choose to continue in publication order.

One thing Hobb does well, is produce interesting, well thought out, multidimensional characters. Many of the characters who are arguably “go
Hanne
Jul 17, 2013 Hanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is going down as one of my favourite fantasy trilogies.
Without a doubt! (This review contains some spoilers of book 1 and 2)

Part of it is very typical Robin Hobb (after 6 books I’m allowed to say that right?) she makes characters so incredible real they become existing people. I’ve said it before, but it’s just really true: they become people for you to love or loathe. But it’s also remarkable how mean she is to them all: she sends them through hell, leaves them there without food or d
Kaitlin
Jul 06, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This whole series has been perfection. It's not often that after reading a 2* book by an author I will continue on with their work but with Hobb I am so thrilled that I did go on to the Liveship books after the Farseer ones because truly she's a miracle writer and her ability to craft convincing, beautiful and stunning characters, worlds and ideas is unparalleled.

This is book 3 in the Liveship books and so naturally I cannot give away the plot of the story but suffice to say we're once more fol
Nikki
Jun 05, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Dara
Signs of an excellent book: Keeps you up at night. Makes you forget your body's basic needs. Makes your vision blurry from reading it constantly. Relationships suffer because you ignore other people to read said book. All of this happened to me in the course of reading Ship of Destiny. I could not put this book down. For days, I was completely entranced by Robin Hobb's world. And I would not have it any other way.

Ms. Hobb played my emotions like a fiddle. I felt like a marionette and she was hol
Kaora
May 03, 2015 Kaora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll write a review when I'm not crying.
Damian Dubois
Jun 20, 2014 Damian Dubois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. My favourite of the three Hobb trilogies I've read to date and even better the second time through them all. Simply fantastic.
Michelle Morrell
Dec 01, 2015 Michelle Morrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, x-read-2015
Coming to an end of my first Hobb trilogy, I saved this book for a time I knew I'd need it. I hoped it was going to follow the first two, and be an epic immersion into a rich and vibrant world of magic, of adventure, and of humanity.

So, sure enough, coming out the other end of what was one of the hardest weeks of my adulthood, I picked up "Ship of Destiny" and I disappeared. Was it everything I'd hoped? Oh yes.

Such a satisfying conclusion. Characters, instead of following the path I assumed wou
Loederkoningin
One of the few books that render me speechless. No review of mine will do this series justice.
Narmeen Hyder
Sep 30, 2015 Narmeen Hyder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was devastating and beautiful at the same time. Tragic and haunting. Mesmerizing and so bloody fantastic!

This entire concept, dear WOMAN(referring to Robin Hobb here), your mind is a wonderland.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)
Zayne
Feb 15, 2015 Zayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hobb has spun another extraordinary tale, one full of wonder, adventure, happiness, sadness, drama, and politics. I can't believe I didn't want to read this series in the first place. I wanted to jump straight from the Farseer Trilogy to the Tawny Man Trilogy. I was in such a hurry to keep reading about Fitz and the Fool. I'm really glad I listened to my Goodreads friends and read this first or else I would have missed a great story.

What I loved most about this series was the cast of chara
Petra
A fine, although a bit rushed finish to a remarkable fantasy trilogy.

The character development is still strong. I was especially pleased to see well-written female protagonists of all ages. However, because their world is very patriarchal, women do not have it easy and this book in particular goes to some dark places.

It includes a brutal rape of my favourite character by another major character. What made it even more heartbreaking is that no one believed her. From that point on in the book I ha
Shari (colourmeread)
EVERYONE READ THIS BOOK. I've never been so satisfied with the way a trilogy ended until now. This whole series has been quite a journey and Hobb tied everything perfectly well in the last instalment of The Liveship Traders. I had a goal of finishing this book in 2 weeks, but I finished it in 4 days because I simply couldn't put it down.

Ship of Destiny picks up right where we left off with The Mad Ship and it's everything you'd want in a book. I was glad the pacing in this book was a lot better
Nov 23, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Full Review: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2014/1...

Here it is. The conclusion of the Liveship Traders. The first two books have laid out many obstacles and conflicts. Bingtown is in a state of disarray, Vivacia has been turned Pirate, Malta has been lost, stranded with the Satrap. And with all that was still wrong from the previous book, there’s much more that will happen. This book is full of tension, conflict and a dragon! Tintaglia awoke in the last book, so we get to see her in this and ge
Nicholas
So I think this book in particular is an excellent response to the current fad of "grimdark" novels. Especially considering the Guardian piece on it that sparked the twitter joke of inventing Grimpink as a female version of this. (tl:dr Grimdark is a boy's club that girls aren't invited to play in. Female authors and publishers disagree w/ this to hilarious effect.)

What sets this aside from other dark fantasies is that the violence and darkness are shown to full effect. There is no cartoon viole
Lisa
We've finally reached the end of this brilliant, emotionally bruising trilogy and I can say, now that I've raged, snarled and sobbed my way through it, that it stands above the Farseer Trilogy for me (sorry Night-Eyes and The Fool!).

The Vivacia is still in the hands of Captain Kennit, leading Althea, Brashen and Amber to sail off in pursuit on board Paragon. Bingtown is being torn apart by the Chalcedeans, as well as the strife between the groups of people living there, and having fled the dange
Rob
Feb 03, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read Ms. Hobb's books, especially Farseer.
Executive Summary: In the third and final book of the Liveship Traders trilogy, Ms. Hobb expertly brings everything that built up for 3 books to an exciting and satisfying conclusion. Many people seem to skip this trilogy and jump right into The Tawny Man Trilogy. I think this is a mistake. While there is very little overlap with Farseer (and maybe Tawny man, can't say for sure since I haven't read it yet), it's quite well written with many diverse and interesting characters.

Full Review
I got sid
Contando Dragones
Nov 16, 2015 Contando Dragones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta reseña va a ser un poco especial, porque voy a reseñar los tres libros de una misma saga a la vez. Voy a hacerlo así y no por separado porque los tres libros forman parte de una misma historia narrada toda seguida. Vale que se publicaron con años de diferencia, pero sus virtudes y defectos son los mismos en esencia, y sus diferencias, en mayor parte referidas al momento de la historia en que se encuentran más que por ser uno u otro tomo. Y por eso va todo junto.

La historia empieza con Las n
Debbie
Apr 07, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This stunning trilogy comes to a dramatic close in this series finale. Each loose end is tied up; each character gets their own closure, for better or worse; and every intricate detail building throughout the three books is beautifully resolved.

I have seen this series get lots of comparison to the Farseer/Tawny Man series, however other than being based in the same world, they are nothing alike, and simply cannot be compared against each other.

Although I did find myself much more attached to the
Eleanor
Aug 03, 2015 Eleanor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is amazing. Robin Hobb is amazing! This is the final book in the Liveship Trilogy. The way that all the plot lines came together in the end is just so perfect. The character growth in this trilogy is some of the best I have ever read. The characters change so much however it all makes sense to the characters and they are still very much themselves.

There are events which take place in this series which have definite consequences to the characters and how it affects them is ha
Wastrel
The concluding part of The Liveship Traders, and probably the best, as the excitement and emotion are ramped up into an explosive conclusion, as multiple plotlines collide. More than an enjoyable read, it is a thought-provoking novel enlivened by perhaps the greatest character in fantasy. I found the various problems (the wrapping-up could have been a bit better; some characters and plotlines feel barged out of the way by the main climax entering) relatively minor; however, many reader may conti ...more
Jade
Nov 01, 2014 Jade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2014
This book is an exellent finale to an amazing series. Hobb creates a world with characters that you live, you love and you can't detach yourself from - all key to brilliant writing. In this last chapter she doesn't just give you the endings that you want, she makes the good bits ever so more bitter sweet by at first presenting you with familiar characters who disappoint, rip your heart out and anger you. And I blooming loved every minute of it. My only challenge now is how to get back to reality ...more
Dec 03, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
This was a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy about the Liveship Traders. It was filled with action and a lot of emotional scenes (Amber giving a certain someone a certain someone's face almost made me cry), and all the loose ends where tied up perfectly. I've been reluctant about reading this series for years because Fitz isn't in it, but I came to love many of the characters in this story instead. Not as much as Fitz, but still. And if I'd known Amber was gonna be in these books, I would have ...more
Em
A truly amazing ending to the last book in The Complete Liveship Traders Trilogy: Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny series. This series falls between The Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy and in my opinion is a must read. There are some important little tidbits of information you'll need for the rest of the series and it's so jaw-droppingly good you really don't want to miss out!
Jamie
Oct 23, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, although I think some people would say that the ending is too neat. This book is just as long as the first two but seems to move at a much faster pace as the storylines converge at breakneck speed. In the fantasy genre, amazing coincidences are not weak plotting - they're destiny. Especially if you put "destiny" in the title of the book.

I'm looking forward to the Tawny Man trilogy, which picks up with the same characters as the Assassin trilogy.
Francesca
Apr 05, 2015 Francesca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
4.5-5/5
Fifi LaFleur
Nov 06, 2015 Fifi LaFleur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK. Now I definitely want to read the Rainwilds Chronicles. Completely mesmerized with Tintaglia and the Rainwilds.

This is not a perfect book but my fascination with the world and its dragon rebirth has me looking past the fact that it ended rather abruptly. Yes, everything got sorted to a point, mysteries were revealed, destinies were fulfilled.

Althea had the clearest path at the start of the series but it was the growth and involvement of Malta, Wintrow, and Seldon that had me intrigued. I lo
Lisa
I absolutely loved this trilogy. This is the last one and I don't want it to end. Needless to say I will be reading more Robin Hobb ASAP!
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'arnath, #3)
  • Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Born Queen (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #4)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
** I am shocked to find that some people think a 2 star 'I liked it' rating is a bad rating. What? I liked it. I LIKED it! That means I read the whole thing, to the last page, in spite of my life raining comets on me. It's a good book that survives the reading process with me. If a book is so-so, it ends up under the bed somewhere, or maybe under a stinky judo bag in the back of the van. So a 2 st ...more
More about Robin Hobb...

Liveship Traders (3 books)
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)

“That is the challenge Companion. To take what has happened to you and learn from it. Nothing is quite so destructive as pity, especially self-pity. No event in life is so terrible that one cannot rise above it.
64 likes
“When you fear to fail, you fear something that has not happened yet. You predict your own failure, and by inaction, lock yourself into it.” 28 likes