Start by marking “The Art of Deception” as Want to Read:
The Art of Deception

The Art of Deception

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,401 ratings  ·  62 reviews

Adam Haines was an artist visiting the Fairchild mansion to do some undercover digging, and that was a problem for a man who preferred to be straightforward. An even bigger problem was Kirby Fairchild, daughter of the worldfamous painter he'd been sent to investigate. She was part child, part elf, and the most fascinating woman he'd ever encountered.

However, Kirby had a di

Published (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Deception

Amelia Elizabeth
I have to say this was my least favorite Nora Roberts. It was a struggle to get through. I couldn't connect with the characters, I really didn't care what happened to them. The writing was good and I was interested in the plot.
Katie B-K
Totally thought this book was new until the characters started smoking cigarettes and I realized it was a reprint. Enjoyed it well enough.
Brooke
I got this book as part of the Whispered Promises compilation.

The gist: Kirby’s father is a famous painter. Adam is a well-known painter. Adam comes to stay in their house for a few weeks. Kirby’s dad does forgeries of famous, classic paintings. It’s fraud, but he’s not a bad guy. Anyway, a Rembrandt painting has been stolen and Adam is there, secretly, to find the Rembrandt. Kirby and Adam fall in love. There are a couple attempts made on Kirby’s life. The whole plot with the Rembrandt is unrav
Emily
I was disappointed by my last two books so I decided to return to an old favorite who I knew would give me a quick, romantic, easy read and I wasn’t disappointed. I’m a pretty big fan of Nora Roberts because I think she does romance without being trashy and every girl could use more romance in her life (trashy has its place as well.) Side note: two of my favorite romance series are Roberts’ Bride Quartet and the Inn Boonsboro trilogy. Check them out! This novel introduces us to the feisty Kirby, ...more
Maura
Romanticdryad
I enjoyed this one. The love story was pretty conventional and it bugged me that, with all the secrecy around Adam's true reason for being there, the actual secret turned out to be the least interesting part of the book, but I liked it.

I find I seem to enjoy Roberts' criminals with a heart of gold a lot, and the banter and odd sort of dramatic gameplaying of the father/daughter duo was fairly enjoyable although I might find it exhausting in real life.
Duncan Mandel

Adam Haines was an artist visiting the Fairchild mansion to do some undercover digging, and that was a problem for a man who preferred to be straightforward. An even bigger problem was Kirby Fairchild, daughter of the world-famous painter he'd been sent to investigate. She was part child, part el...

Ritesh
Possibly the best way to start the review the book is that I am so glad I finished it! It brings in me a sense of liberation, free from the clutches of self-imposed rule of having to complete a book I started.

Forget understanding how love blossomed between the two main characters in less time than it would take you to spell the four letter word, forget your sincere attempts to feel the suspense that the book is trying to create, forget the sense in all the nonsense that fills up the book - once
Brenda
I read this book to give this author another chance to prove to me that she can write a unique story. I realize that this is an older work from this author, but I had never read it. The story did hold my attention and it was entertaining. The flow of the story was quick and smooth. I do realize that this is a different type of story compared to the author's recent work. For a change of pace I might read this author again.
vanessa kennedy
Artful. Enjoyment

From the beginning to the end I was intrigued with the characters and plot. It didn't take me long to read the entire book . I was so engrossed in the events that the day turned into night and I had finished the book. Thoroughly enjoy a blue and a great way to pass the time . Two thumbs up!
Cheryl
This is not one of Nora Robert's most sophisticated books. What MUST be known and understood is that it was one of her early books and she hadn't developed the richness of talent she now has. Even so early in her career, however, her talent is clear. I really enjoyed the book. It is a light read and a fast one.
Barb
part elf, and the most fascinating woman he'd ever encountered. She also had a disconcertingly sense of right and wrong. Adam's own code of ethics was much broader. Is this relationship able to develop in spite
Sally
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Rothchild adalah pasangan ayah dan anak yg memiliki karakter unik. Sebagai seorang detektif dari agen asuransi, Adam masuk dalam keluarga ini dan menemukan banyak hal yang tidak lumrah, dan membuatnya bingung serta jatuh hati pada Kirby.
Seperti biasa, karakter2 unik selalu ditampilkan NR dalam setiap buku2 yang ditulisnya, dan kadang saya berpikir, bagaimana cara NR melakukan riset sehingga bisa menemukan banyak sekali karakter yang bisa dipergunakannya dalam buku2 yang ditulisnya. Memang bisa s
Ann
An easy read. Kirby reminded me of Maggie (another artist from Nora Roberts` Born in Fire), being a bit crazy in the best way.

I did not undestand Adam`s purpose at first. I knew what he wanted to find but not why. His attraction to Kirby (and her for him) was obvious. Though I did not understand her rush to get married!?! It was like, they met and immediately she declared her love for him. The mandatory drama was brought in when Kirby found out about Adam`s agenda.

What bothered me was the cons
Andrea
Happy for a light easy read after a string of not so easy to read books. Obviously this story didn't change my life, the characters were pretty shallow, but I wasn't looking for depth.
Lissa
My first Nora Roberts book and I was expecting an exciting romantic book. Instead I found it to be simple and not very convincing characters. I will try to read a more recent book, however.
sakura_txell
Sintiéndolo mucho, los Harlequines están a años luz de las últimas novelas de Nora Roberts. Historias con intriga, pero no tan elaboradas.
Pasable para los fans.
Becky Griffin
Entertaining. Nice to read a book that the storyline wasn't heavy. Loved the relationship between father and daughter. Did have to skip some sex scene pages.
Clara Zane
I didn't particularly like all of the POV head-hopping in this one at first, but the characters were so crazy, it made perfect sense to do it. A fun read.
Dusty
I usually enjoy books by Nora Roberts. But this one wasn't a favorite. Hard for me to finish it. Don't recommend it. I was disappointed.
Michelle Rice
written in Nora Robert's style. loveable characters and a great feelgood book
Maria
The best part of this book was Fairchild. I felt the suspense was just a bit tacky— almost literally tacked on right at the very end to be pulled into the 'romantic suspense' genre. (view spoiler)

Though Kirby's name is really interesting (I think Nora Rob
I gave this book only 2 stars because I found it quite boring. I struggled to finish. It wasn't a horrible book but by far the worst Nora Roberts I've ever read.
Emily Higgins
Adam Haines becomes a houseguest of the famous artist, Philip Fairchild in an undercover effort to find the forger of fine art. Once Adam met Philip's daughter, sculptor Kirby Fairchild, the plans changed because Adam fell in love with Kirby. Love, intrigue and zany characters make this a very enjoyable read.
Carolyn
Older one of Nora Roberts but still very good.
Harriet
I actually quite enjoyed this book - fairly light reading (read it in a day, over half on a train journey). When I reached the end I realised it was Mills and Boon - I'd just assumed it was that light in comparison with Ann Bronte (my last book was the tenant of wildfell hall).
Julia
As soon as I saw this was one of Nora Roberts Silhouette releases, I knew this would be an easy light read. The characters were fun, but (IMO) seemed to be a little flat, unlike characters in her more recent books. It was very predictable, but a fun read.
Tamara
I am just meh about this book, it took time for me to get into it and even after I did I wasn't ever excited about it. I am a big fan of NR but I'd have to say this is the book I have liked the least, which seems to be a trend from reading reviews by others.
  • The Playboy & Plain Jane (Dynasties: The Barones #1)
  • Escape from Cabriz
  • The Forbidden Princess
  • Tender Savage
  • The One-Night Wife (O'Connells, #5)
  • The Third Wife
  • Afterburn (Uniformly Hot!, #5)
  • Kansas City Cowboy (The Precinct: Task Force #2) (The Precinct #18)
  • After Hours
  • Bride for a Night
  • Man of Ice
  • Dreamscapes
  • Erotic Invitation (Harlequin Blaze, #17)
  • Menaklukkan Sang Dokter - Taming the Beastly MD
  • Daniel's Desire
  • An Officer and a Millionaire
  • The Bachelor's Wedding
  • The Sheik and the Bought Bride (Desert Rogues, #13) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1999)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...