Start by marking “Senorita Gordita” as Want to Read:
Senorita Gordita

Senorita Gordita

In this Tex-Mex retelling of The Little Gingerbread Man, Senorita Gordita--a little corn cake-- escapes from the frying pan and leads a merry chase. She runs through the desert boasting, "You'll never catch me!" while fleeing from a spider, a rattler, and other hungry creatures "with a flip, and a skip, and a zip-zoom-zip." A fast-paced and wildly illustrated twist on an o ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Senorita Gordita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Senorita Gordita

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
At first I thought this story was going to be about a female Anansi, because the baker in the story is a spider. However, it's a hispanic version of "The Gingerbread Man," with a gordita instead of gingerbread. My main criticism of the book is that I wanted to know what a gordita was, as it's introduced on the first page of the story. You could see from the illustration that it was some sort of baked good, but they looked too fat to be tortillas, which is what they in fact are. The Spanish words ...more
Mary
Oct 29, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
While this is a serviceable gingerbread man-type story, I think it lacked some of the sing-songy fun of that story. I also didn't like the ending with the owl as much as I like how the fox outwits the gingerbread man. But if you're looking for fairytale stories with a southwestern flair, this one works.
Sarah VanDyke
In another class, one of my classmates was talking about this book, so I decided to read it. I really enjoyed it! The book is a retelling of the Gingerbread Man with a Spanish twist. The book introduces Spanish words such as Gordita, Arana, Buho, and Lagarto as well as a few others. The Gordita is running through the desert and encounters several desert animals. In my opinion, I think many readers would like this book and the predictable text. In the classroom, this book could be used when learn ...more
Feb 23, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Very cute version of what we know as the Gingerbread Man in American folklore. This story takes place in the southwest culture with creatures as a spider (tarantula), snake, a lizard, scorpion, a wild boar, a fox,and a cunning owl. Each of these western animals try to catch the little Gordita.

The book is full of Spanish words, and even a recipe for a Gordia! This would be a great book to read to a classroom of children learning the process of a book for a read aloud! It would also be a great co
Amanda
Mar 10, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
This book is like the folklore the gingerbread man. This would be a good book to read if you want to bring multicultural books into your classroom. This book has Spanish words in it so it would be also fun to have your students speak the Spanish words. This would especially be fun if you had a student in your classroom that was fluent in Spanish teach your students how to say the words correcrly. The only thing I didn't like about this book was how some of the words that are in the book are hard ...more
Jean D.
Feb 26, 2016 Jean D. rated it really liked it
For National #TellaFairyTaleDay, I dusted off this Latino version of "The Gingerbread Man" for my primarily bilingual campus! It's a wonderful rendition for inclusion of ELL learners! Instead of a gingerbread man, we have "Senorita Gordita!" Much like I would imagine a gordita would be if it came to life, Senorita Gordita is hot and sassy! But though she can "gas pass" her hungry enemies, it's her wit, she needs to watch out for! I won't spoil it for you, but as an wise old owl said, "There's a ...more
AMY PRIDGEN
Jan 22, 2017 AMY PRIDGEN rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gr. K-5
A version of the gingerbread man, but this is a fat gordita girl with a cowgirl hat. A spider bakes Gordita at the beginning. Along her journey Gordita meets a lizard, rattlesnake, scorpion, javelina, coyote and a hungry owl who tricks her and gets her to climb up the cactus to avoid the approaching dust storm. But which clever desert animal will win the tasty prize? Beautiful illustrations with lots of expression and full of color. Lots of Spanish words and some repetition. Highly recommended f ...more
Bethe
Oct 22, 2013 Bethe rated it it was ok
I liked the illustrations, the southwest setting, and the use of Spanish animal names which my students can relate to, for this Gingerbread Man retelling. The flip and a skip and a zip-zoom-zip are great, however, the words Gordita says when running off from each animal seem off, more like they should be in a race car version: gassed, airstreamed, pedal to the metal, etc. Perhaps Spanish verbs could have been used to keep more to the flavor of the book.
Shannon
Jun 22, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I'm a little more than a bit apprehensive when a white person tries to Tex-Mex-ify a storybook tale. That said, I don't know much of anything about Tex-Mex culture, so I have no ground to stand on. That also said, I know my students would (WAIT FOR IT......) eat this book up. The art is rich and bright and wonderful.
Emily
Dec 11, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
We read this in kindergarten as part of our gingerbread series. We analyzed the characters, chant, and ending. This book contains a lot of Spanish and is fun for the students to learn words in Spanish.
Janet
This adaptation of "The Gingerbread Man" by the creators of "Armadilly Chili" and "The Three Little Gators" would be a great choice for Joliet Reads. It would be lots of fun for kids in grades K-3 and has a sprinkling of Spanish words.
Sharlet Mullen
Feb 01, 2013 Sharlet Mullen rated it really liked it
This is the desert form of The gingerbread man. With a flip and a skip and a zip-zoom-zip, off she ran. Wonderful bright colorful pictures. I have to say the Gordita is not a cute as the gingerbread man or girl.
Angie
Apr 25, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Apparently I liked this one more than many others. That's OK. No, the rhymes are not all great. But I enjoyed several lines and the illustrations. And to be fair ... I am a Texan. A forfeits does sound pretty tasty. ;)
Melissa
Dec 02, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
This is not just Tex-Mex, but has a contemporary flair as well ("I gassed past Lagarto & dusted Escorpion"). The illustrations have a soft, air-brushy feel and the colors are rich. I'm always satisfied when an author doesn't feel the need to avoid the getting-eaten ending.
Peacegal
Apr 12, 2012 Peacegal rated it really liked it
The boring old Gingerbread Man tale gets a South-of-the-border twist. Kids will love the bright, silly illustrations, and the text introduces Spanish terms in a way that the frenetic Skippyjon Jones series can't manage. Very sensitive tots may be upset by the ending!
Jen
Aug 16, 2012 Jen added it
Shelves: pb, espa-ol, interlingual
I'm on the fence about this one. I didn't like the art and some of the rhymes were lame. It's a retelling of the Gingerbread but with a Gordita and at least one or two words in Spanish per page. Could be a fun introduction for those specific vocab words.
Shelli
Mar 31, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Retake on The Runaway Pancake. Not my favorite retelling because I can not even remotely pronounce Spanish words properly. If you can, this would be a read aloud you would enjoy sharing. I did love the ending thought... different than other rewrites on this classic.
Amy
Nov 30, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
I love discovering new versions of one of my most favorite folktales! This clever version also has a recipe for gorditas! Can't wait to add this to my collection and try making the yummy treats!
Scottsdale Public Library
A tasty Southwest version of Gingerbread Man worth catching.

-Monty K.
Jacqueline
Jan 27, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
A really cute take on a familiar fairy tale that has lovely art to match
Karen
Sep 19, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
The Gingerbread Man with a south-of-the-border flair - very cute!
Hannah
Feb 26, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book. It is a tough read, especially for kids
Kim
Sep 26, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Gingerbread man redo with a Texas flavor
Patty Barr
Feb 16, 2012 Patty Barr rated it really liked it
Love this gingerbread man variation!
Brittney
Part Spanish part English
Terresa
Jul 15, 2016 Terresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
Funny. Awesome. Huge crowd pleaser.
Julie
Apr 28, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
A fun twist on the traditional folklore.
Kate
Apr 24, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Gingerbread Man story, but this time with a sassy gordita in the desert.
Beverly
May 06, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
another version of Gingerbread Boy, this time featuring a gordita, a Mexican corn patty. very nice large illustrations. includes gordita recipe after story.
Teresa Scherping Moulton
The language is unusual and fun, including the occasional Spanish word. The desert-Tex-Mex style adds something new to the Gingerbread Man story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
author and mother of two grown sons. Texas, where she lived for 9 years, is one of her favorite places and several of her books are set there. She, her husband, and their two cats currently live in Sanibel Island, Florida--where plenty of armadillos live, too.
More about Helen Ketteman...