Start by marking “The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont

The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This memorable book is the definitve profile of courage. It tells the story of Jill Kinmont, a talented downhill skier whose Olympic success was imminent until a terrible fall in Utah rendered her a quadriplegic. But the true success of this book lies not with the representation of Jill Kinmont as a tragic heroine, but with the portrayal of her as someone whose commitment, ...more
Published December 1st 1988 by Harper Perennial (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of the Mountain, please sign up.

Diana Simons yes there is.i have seen 2 movies,that were made from the story of The Other Side of the Mountain #1 & #2

Lennie
Mar 23, 2012 Lennie rated it really liked it
Skiing was everything to Jill Kinmont. She learned to ski on Mammoth Mountain near her hometown of Bishop, California and after two years was good enough to race. She put in the hard work and eventually she won a National Championship. When the Olympics seemed like a real possibility she launched herself into a training program that included working out during the summer time. The selection for the next US Women’s Olympic team would come from the competitors in the Snow Cup Race based on their p ...more
Kristi
Jan 14, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing
I loved this book both as a skier and as an occupational therapist. In a world where mass media pities people with spinal cord injuries I think that it would be an excellent experience for anyone to read this book and to learn that there is life after injury and often it is excellent despite the difficulty.
Urs
Aug 28, 2016 Urs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction

Oh, WOW! Another book I ran across that I have read, but have not put in my collection here. I know there are many, many more that I have not added here--I need to get that rectified soon. I remember this being very inspiring and big time to me. I was maybe in the 8th grade when I read it. Another wonderful part of my past that I am glad has caught up with me! :)

Joy
Apr 02, 2009 Joy rated it liked it
Read this many years ago - it's good and so is the movie.
Sherilyn
Nov 16, 2010 Sherilyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book many years agon and loved it. Great motivational book
Mary Archibald
Mar 18, 2011 Mary Archibald rated it it was amazing
Want to read this one again.
Laura Wouden
"The inspiring story of Jill Kinmont" In this story there are two best friends, Jill Kinmont and Audra Jo Nicholson. They were always together so people assumed they were sisters. The story takes place in Bishop, California in 1950’s. The Kinmont family owned the Rocking K Ranch. People came there to hunt, fish, swim, ride horses, and camp. Jill and Audra Jo worked in the restaurant. In the winter, Jill and Audra Jo skied at Mammoth Mountain. Jill and her brother were really good skiers and sta ...more
Lisa Parker
Jun 17, 2012 Lisa Parker rated it really liked it
This was my favorite book when I was a 13. I thought she was so sporty and beautiful. How one moment can change a life forever. Jill Kinmont is an inspiration. My mother approved. I was reading Carrie by Stephen King at the same time. It had just come out and kids at school were lining up to read it. She wasn't likable, nor was anybody else in the book really. When i was reading Carrie, I had it hidden within Jill Kinmont's story. My mother, as I knew she would, went ballistic when she found it ...more
Greg
Aug 11, 2013 Greg rated it liked it
Unsentimental and somewhat self-centered account of Jill Kinmont's skiing accident that left her paralyzed. I read it, and appreciated it as a strong story of a strong man, but it didn't grab me the way others of this sort have. It was more factual than powerful storytelling. I would like to see what kind of book she would write on her own (no co-author)...I suspect it would be more wise and other-centric, more humble and service-focused, and more conscious of her integration with the world arou ...more
Lisa
Feb 18, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Aspiring athletes and people wallowing in self-pity.
"She was a world-class athlete one minute; the next minute, she was a quadriplegic paralyzed from the neck down". Fantastic true story of brave Jill Kinmont, Olympic skier-almost. Pretty much unflinching, sad, funny, uplifting, and courageous. Usually those things keep me away in droves, but I love this book and rooted for Jill. I kept wishing it had never happened, if only, if only. Talk about never knowing what fate has in store. And the TV movie is as good a portrayal of the book as it gets.
Edy
Jul 11, 2011 Edy rated it really liked it
Years ago I was doing some professional development in Bishop, California, and met Jill Kinmont. She was such an inspiring teacher and such a lovely person that as soon as I returned home, I read the book that chronicles her skiing accident and then the courage and determination that she used to turn such a tragedy into something that was positive. I loved the book. Now, 30 years after reading it, I am still inspired by the memories I have of both the book and Ms. Kinmont. This is a book that de ...more
Callie Norse
Aug 18, 2012 Callie Norse rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book, which I read years ago. It tells the story of Jill Kinmont, a talented downhill skier whose Olympic success was imminent until a terrible fall in Utah rendered her a quadriplegic. But the true success of this book lies not with the representation of Jill Kinmont as a tragic heroine, but with the portrayal of her as someone whose commitment, dedication, drive, and determination have enabled her to succeed at life, despite the tremendous obstacles she has faced.

I
KennyO
Jul 07, 2016 KennyO rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
People love to wallow in sentiment. Well, you won't get that opportunity from Jill Kinmont. She took mighty little time to feel sorry for herself but moved on with determination to do those things she could. Valens does yeoman service in telling Kinmont's story although the book ended before her achievements did.
Andrea Fife
Jul 13, 2014 Andrea Fife rated it it was ok
While the occurrences chronicled in this book may have been interesting in isolation, Valens ties them together in an altogether boring way. Details frequently seemed misplaced, and repeated facts that often felt luke foreshadowing generally led nowhere. I did not care for the chronological method used to recount this personal history.
Soccer.10
This book has become my favorite book. The plot is so nice where you see a strong person go weak but come back to have a very large purpose, helping children learn so they can grow up to have a purpose to.
Caitlyn Maye
Sep 12, 2011 Caitlyn Maye rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. It is was so interesting and filled with drama. The story teaches you that you can overcome anything if you really try. It is a perfect book to read if you are in search for inspiration and hope.
Audrey Grant
Oct 22, 2013 Audrey Grant rated it liked it
Shelves: survivors
This was a good "re-read" for me. I read it as a teen but reading it now after being in bed for 5 years with back, neck and hip problems...this helped give me a new perspective!!
Rosemary
Feb 11, 2008 Rosemary rated it really liked it
I saw this movie twice in the 70's. It is a true story and is very inspiring. I want to see if the book is as good as the movie.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a touching story of jill Kinmount's skiing injury, therapy and journey back. It is rather slow-moving but the emotional exchanges will draw you in.
Joan Fisher
Jan 23, 2015 Joan Fisher rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiographies
Inspiring story.
Fishface
Feb 07, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I read this ages ago. It's about what happened to a teenaged champion skier after she broke her back and became quadriplegic. One of your classic "plucky survivor" stories.
Kimberly
Mar 08, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I read this after seeing the movie. Inspirational.
Leann
Nov 09, 2012 Leann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: survival
I loved this book it is one of my all time favorites. The story of the skier and how she handles tragedy. There is no sugar coating, it is really hard. But she does it.
Susy
May 08, 2016 Susy rated it really liked it
I read this book more than 3 decades ago but I remember being very moved by this story.
Jul 29, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
while Jill's courage and heart are commendable, I felt that this book could have been much more riveting. It took me a very long time to slog through it!
Dorothy
Jun 25, 2015 Dorothy rated it really liked it
Good story that I have reread from way back when! The story of Jill Kinmont the skiing star who fell and was paralyzed from the shoulders down in 1955.
Paige
May 18, 2016 Paige rated it really liked it
Choice
Maxwell
Mar 15, 2009 Maxwell rated it really liked it
a very good story i loved it so try it if you like a good book
Susan Daugherty
Susan Daugherty rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
  • Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives
  • The Genesis Enigma: Why the Bible Is Scientifically Accurate
  • A Naturalist Buys an Old Farm
  • Take Me Home: An Autobiography
  • Square Peg: My Story and What It Means for Raising Innovators, Visionaries, and Out-of-the-Box Thinkers
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
  • A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship
  • Emma and I
  • Helen Keller

“How lucky I am to have known somebody and something that saying goodbye to is so damned awful.” 8628 likes