Start by marking “Prodigal” as Want to Read:
Prodigal

Prodigal (Prodigal #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This edition is currently Out of Print and unavailable for purchase.

When the bizarre murder of an old classmate reunites ex-lovers Ethan and Jesse, a shared childhood secret draws them back together as an otherworldly killer tries to tear them apart for good.

After escaping its mysterious grasp twelve years ago, Ethan Wilde never thought he'd return to Kingston, North Carol
Published October 2011 by Musa Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Prodigal, please sign up.

Ami
I think the story "suffers" a bit from the length. Truthfully, the idea of how six children came back from the woods holding a secret between them, and how their life is surrounding by dark unexplainable things, is appealing. It has some sort of Stephen King-like. But the novella type makes the tension build-up in reaching that climax as a bit weak as well as choppy. I do like both main characters, I have a soft-spot for stories about ex-lovers because of the emotional attachment and idea of sec ...more
WildAboutBones
-->3.5 Stars!<-- But this could have easily been a 4 or 4.5 stars but I'm getting ahead of myself. It is definitely worth reading. This story starts out strong with "Nothing brings family together like a murder." What a way to get my attention.

Then it kept my attention by using the death of a woman, who happens to share the name of a new (to me) favorite author Jacquelyn Frank, as the reason for Ethan to return to his hated and feared home town twelve years after leaving it.

Early on, this
Portia
Let me start by saying, if I’d known what this book was about, I would not have touched it with a ten-foot pole. See, I am basically a wimp. I say that nightlight in the bathroom is for my kids, but truth be told…I’m scared of the dark.

Prodigal scared the bejezus out of me…and I like it. From word one there is a dark tone to this book. You don’t know what drove Ethan from his hometown, but you do know that death is bringing him back.

The romance is secondary to the mystery, for sure. And there is
Debbie

I have to say that finishing this book right before bed was not the best idea, an hour or 2 later I woke up to a noise, paralyzed thinking someone(thing) had crawled through my window. Although not a terribly long story, it sure packed a punch. I feel it should have been just a bit longer, I was left with some questions at he end. I was curious why Papa Wilde felt the way he did, did he know something he couldn't speak of? (Who knows maybe I totally missed some of the explanations.) But
J.L. Merrow
Excellent, chilling paranormal metaphor for growing up gay, or otherwise "different" in a small town. Ever felt isolated, trapped by your environment? Or that even years after you'd escaped, some part of you was left behind?
Skilled use of flashbacks to add tension (and I am normally a flashback-averse reader. AM Arthur does it how it should be done.)
Probably best not to do what I did, and read it last thing at night... ;)
Joyfully Jay
This review was originally written for Joyfully Jay Reviews.

Can I, just for a minute, gush to you about how much I have come to adore A.M. Arthur’s writing? I am now convinced after reading this story that this author can do anything. Yes, I am head over heels in love with her contemporary works. But this utterly unique, imaginative piece of paranormal has almost left me speechless. It is masterfully planned and composed. This story not only drew me in and kept me enthralled, but it sc
ManOhMan
Gabbi
This is the first book I’ve read written by A.M. Arthur, and it definitely won’t be my last! I knew from reading the blurb, that Prodigal was going to have both romance and mystery, but I had no idea what a nail-biting horror story this book would turn out to be! From the very first sentence to the last word, Prodigal kept me enthralled within its grasp. I immediately was gripped by the fast-paced storyline and the intensity of feelings the two main heroes felt for one another. I loved every twi ...more
Tiferet
Short, but definitely worth a try (best read without even taking a look at synopses before).
Barb Gilmour
I really liked this story. I had no clue what the synopsis was.... I avoid reading any and all snippets, so the whole plot just took me along, not having a clue what was coming next. And it was good! The end twist of Ethan and Jesse's greatest fears was clever; i thought the 2 of them together were both sweet and scorching! Poor Jesse all that time totally alone.
melek
12 years later Ethan returns home for a funeral and learn more then what happened back 12 years and why he left and now he return.. some twist and turns to the story...
Marlobo
Nov 22, 2014 Marlobo marked it as mm-skipped
This seems like a horror story, not my cup of tea
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Melisa
Melisa marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Lisa S
Lisa S marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Krazykt
Krazykt marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Anjali
Anjali marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Brina Brady
Brina Brady marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Janie Davenport-barras
Janie Davenport-barras marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
No stranger to the writing world, A.M. Arthur has been creating stories in her head since she was a child and scribbling them down nearly as long. She credits an early fascination with male friendships and "bromance" (and "The Young Riders") with her later discovery of and subsequent affair with m/m romance stories. When not writing, she can be found in her kitchen, pretending she's an amateur che ...more
More about A.M. Arthur...

Prodigal (2 books)
  • Frozen
Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1) Unearthing Cole (Discovering Me, #1) The Truth as He Knows It (Perspectives #1) Color of Grace (Cost of Repairs, #2) No Such Thing (Belonging #1)