Start by marking “Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)” as Want to Read:
Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)

Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years #8)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,160 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In this eighth and final book of the Rose Years series, Rose has become an independent young woman. She leaves RockyRidge Farm, first for Kansas City to learn how to be a telegrapher, then for San Francisco. Her dream is to work for ayear or two, save a little money, and then marry Paul Cooley, her childhood sweetheart. But the big city has all sorts ofsurprises in store f ...more
Published September 22nd 1999 by HarperCollins (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bachelor Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bachelor Girl

Utami
The last one in this series. And the most disappointing one. Laura, Rose's mother, used to be my childhood heroine. I adore Laura, and I often imagined that I was her. And Rose... Argh.

So, in this story, Rose went to Kansas City to do a course for being a telegraph operator. She did this for her own ambition, and also to save some money so she and Paul can get married. However, bad things happened. Not having enough money and being underpaid, Rose was forced to leave her job and moved to San Fra
Mary-Jane
I thoroughly enjoyed this series, giving the previous 7 books a deserving 5 stars. This book, however, was my least favourite. I gave it 3 stars, not because the writing was poor but because Rose did not fulfill my expectations of displaying wisdom and good judgement after moving out on her own. At the start of the book, Rose had returned home to Mansfield with her parents after she spent a year with her aunt in Louisiana while studying and graduating from high school. Her parents were back livi ...more
Anna
Wow... This book starts out with Rose as a country girl. In love with Paul and wishing they could go ahead and get married, she goes out and starts work as a telegraph operator to help earn money so that she and Paul can be married. Well, along the road, she meets some friends that live very differently than she, and she starts to adapt to their ways. She does things that are so different from her country roots. Things that you can just see Laura and Almonzo being shocked about. After she has ch ...more
Jerianna
This is my least favorite of the Rose Wilder Lane books. I've decided that I'm disappointed in Rose, period. I've read enough about her now from other sources to know that Mr. MacBride did a very good job writing about her, and he stayed true to the Little House on the prairie format, but I just didn't enjoy her life choices. This is the final book in the Rose series, and she pretty much throws her old life out and chooses a wild new life as a swinging single girl.
Finished the series as a read-a
Maggie
Oh she is so AWFUL! I read and enjoyed #1-7 but in this book I lost my patience with Rose. She grows up, moves to San Francisco, parties all night, and makes some very bad friends. Ahh... this book makes me miss the first books. It was kind of sad to see her journey from age 7 to age 18. But it is kind of cool to imagine Laura's daughter driving cars and working as a telegrapher in a big city.

Okay, this is like a year later, and Rose still pisses me off. Your mom would be ashamed of you, young
Kacey Kendrick Wagner
This is by far my least favorite of the Rose series. Rose moves to San Fran to become a telegraph operator, makes poor friends, and becomes selfish and shallow. I'm pretty sure the whole Paul Cooley character is fictional...it better be. Or else Rose is an idiot. Overall, Bachelor Girl provides a poor ending to the series. (Although, Rose Wilder Lane's real life does not have a happy ending...so I guess it's fitting.) I wouldn't recommend reading this one with kids.
Courtney
So glad to finally finish this series. I came to the realization a couple of books ago that I really dislike Rose. My boys hated the last three or four books too. I looked her up on Wikipedia and it seems her choices followed her throughout life. I do wonder what Laura thought of her, if she ever admitted how she was living. I think she was partly ashamed of where she was in this book.
Heidi
If I was disappointed in Rose before, I was ashamed of her in this book. I was never happy with her adult life, so it shouldn't have surprised me. Very sad that Laura's legacy couldn't have continued as I thought it should.
Naomi Bennet
Bachelor Girl is probably my least favourite Little House book.

Basically it's about Rose Wilder, eighteen years old, going away in the big world to make money so that she and her lovely sweetheart, Paul, can get married. But then a "charming" modern man sweeps her off her feet and it ends with them getting away together. Ewww.

I'm glad I read it, because it IS Little House, so it's always okay. But it was a big disappointment and not a perfect ending for the last book in all the Little House boo
Kassak
Thank God! They are FINISHED!!!

I have finally made it through some of the WORST books that I have EVER read.

I couldn't believe it, but I actually gave this final one 3 stars. Why? Because it made Rose more "human". Let her be a little restless, spoiled, not think before acting, et.c. Why not? All the morals and "goodness" of this series was extremely hard to take. It was actually refreshing for Rose to be a little "bad". And when you have a mother (as MacBride likes to portray Laura) like Rose d
Violet
I will start this off by saying that I do not like the character of Rose at all. She is flighty, annoying and naiive. Really naiive. Not in the sense of not knowing anything about how things work in the city, or all the new things to see there. But really in the sense of just being so carlessly stupid about the people she associates with, her ideas of "having a good time", and her knowledge of love. So, she though she was in love with Paul, and she wanted to marry him, but then he got all stubbo ...more
Paul Lunger
What began with "Little House on Rocky Ridge" concludes with "Bachelor Girl" the 8th & final novel in Roger Lea MacBride's "The Rose Years". In the series finale, Rose has returned to Mansfield from her time with Aunt E.J. in Crowley, Louisiana & her experiences there show a girl of 17 grown up as she wants to make decisions about her own future. She decides to go to Kansas City to school to become a telegraph operator & then ends up in San Francisco working on her own. We watch Rose ...more
The other John
This last volume of Little House: The Rose Years sees Rose Wilder truly on her own. She returns home to her parents' farm after her high school graduation and year in Louisiana. Life is relatively comfortable, but boring. She's in love, but her beau has yet to propose--he's trying to make a good enough living as a telegraph operator to support both a wife and his widowed mother. When he lands a job in Sacramento, California, Rose is despondent. She finally acts on an old idea of learning telegra ...more
Leila Mcmann
While the content matter of the other books in this series was quite interesting, this one was a let down. Not only did it feel like the writing style became less intriguing, but it read like the story of any modern teenager: parties, boys, clothes, work, make-up and financial woes. Nothing pioneer-y about it.
Kristin
The end of the series! Rose is finally off on her own in Kansas City to start and then San Francisco. She continues to hope that Paul and her will be able to marry, but he insists on making enough money so she won't have to work. In San Francisco, Rose makes friends with a thoroughly modern crowd and finds herself wanting to do more and stop waiting around for life to start.

I loved this series, but this last book was not as satisfying. We are no longer on a farm and I find the later books in bo
Lisa Baker
This was my least favorite of this series. Rose seemed flighty much of the time. She seemed to forget where she came from and the values that were instilled in her. I was sorry to see this series end though.
Jenna
Sadness. If you love the LHOP series and Laura Ingalls Wilder and legacy than you are going to be filled with sadness when you read this book.
****there are spoilers*****
It's sad because little Rose has grown up and isn't a little country girl anymore. It's sad because things change and Rose is so different. It's sad because Rose is no longer the Rose from the other books. It's sad because Rose and Paul's relationship falls apart and Rose falls for some one else (she divorced him later on in lif
Kit
Roger Lea MacBride is Rose Wilder Lane's grandson, and he wrote this story of Rose's life as a career girl from stories that she told him. Although it sounds objectively like a pretty grim time for Rose, the details of the period make for interesting reading, and the thought of Laura's daughter walking around Chinatown in San Francisco, riding in cars, and wearing nail polish and makeup is worth the read in itself. :)
Maren
Emily
This book has a shocking ending. Rose decides to go to Kansas City to become a telegraph operator so that she can raise money to help her and Paul get married. Things don't go very well when she doesn't get payed enough. She moves to San Francisco and starts again. But she starts to get frustrated with Paul and her life again. Will Rose ever be satisfied and with her life and upcoming future?
Gretchen
This is not a great ending to Laura's legacy. I had been really looking forward to this book but i am thoroughly disappointed. I wouldve like to see Laura at least once more before it was done. Well that didn't happen. Rose made bad choices and went off with a drunk man named Gilette Lane whom she marries but soon divorces. Im glad she never remarried. I don't recommend this book.
Sadie
This was a decent end to Rose's story. The story itself seemed a little bit more fast paced than the others, or I found her situation a little bit more interesting. It follows Rose to Kansas City and then on to San Francisco. It did seem to address some topics that I'm not sure I would want my young daughter to read about but it was still on the wholesome side of things.
Dianne
(I made further comments under Caiti's review.)
It was surprising to me, Rose's enthusiasm for socialism. Do a google search about her, and you'll see how her views changed after she experienced Russian communism upclose. Children should skip this book; adults will find it an interesting reflection of one particular subset of society during that time period.
Ellen
None of the associated series can measure up to the Little House books; the older ones, I suspect, because they're even less based on reality, and these because MacBride is, I'm sorry to say, not as good a writer as (either of the) Wilder(s). You can tell by the way I skipped from book #3 to book #8... Still, fun to see where the story goes.
Ann
I have to agree with many of the previous reviews. Rose turned into a flighty brat! I have enjoyed reading about her earlier years, the innocence and adventure. But none of that was good enough for her, and it makes me wonder if ever in her life she was really satisfied with what she had. But I am glad the series is finished!
Vincent Tang
Reads more like 'Little House Turns Her Back on Everything (I Thought) She Stood For'. If I wanted to read about decadence and excess, I would've read the Great Gatsby.
Kirsten
Oh Rose, Rose, Rose...... Less politics here, more partying (although she doesn't seem to necessarily enjoy the parties). Rose moves out on her own, goes to the big city and picks up a "fast" crowd of friends. The end made me a little sad, knowing what I know of her biography.
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 Gl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled. Though I have to admit, the "Rose Years" are my least favorite.
Lorie
Little House on the Prairie fans will love this Rose Years series. This is the last book in the series. Rose goes to California on her own and her many adventures. I know rose was also a writer like her mother, but this series never mentioned much about that.
Lavinia
This is a very interesting book series written by the granddaughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder. She writes about Laura's only child Rose and her real life adventures living in San Fransisco. Great fast read.
  • Across the Puddingstone Dam (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #4)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Little Clearing in the Woods (Little House: The Caroline Years, #3)
  • Across the Rolling River (Little House: The Caroline Years, #5)
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • Laura's Album: A Remembrance Scrapbook of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • A Line in the Sand: The Alamo Diary of Lucinda Lawrence (Dear America)
  • So Far From Home: the Diary of Mary Driscoll, an Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847 (Dear America)
  • West to a Land of Plenty: The Diary of Teresa Angelino Viscardi
  • Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend
MacBride called himself "the adopted grandson" of writer and political theorist Rose Wilder Lane, the daughter of writer Laura Ingalls Wilder, and as such laid claim to the substantial Ingalls-Wilder's literary estate, including the "Little House on the Prairie" franchise. He is the author of record of three additional "Little House" books, and began the "Rocky Ridge Years" series, describing the ...more
More about Roger Lea MacBride...

Little House: The Rose Years (8 books)
  • Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1)
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #3)
  • On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)
  • Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • On the Banks of the Bayou (Little House: The Rose Years, #7)
Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1) Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5) Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2) In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #3) On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)