Start by marking “On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)” as Want to Read:
On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)

On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rose Years #4)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  3,568 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A new addition to the popular series written by the adopted grandson of Rose Wilder, Laura Ingalls Wilder's daughter. The Wilder family struggles to make a success of Rocky Ridge, their little farm in the Ozarks. Young Rose must help her parents as they battle the natural disasters of a cyclone, a drought, and a forest fire. But there are good times as well, when Rose atte ...more
Published September 15th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about On the Other Side of the Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Other Side of the Hill

Katie
It wasn't terrific, but at least it was better than the last one. The stories were a little better. The writing is just as annoying, though.

Land sakes, Laura! Why do have to keep saying "Land sakes"?!?!

And I am so tired of someone's mouth quivering in "mirth".

Roger Lea MacBride really is not a good storyteller. Not in the least. He is an average writer at best. That is my opinion, of course. He uses the same words over and over again. And he repeats the same facts/points over and over again. He
Mary-Jane
The Wilder family continues their hard work on Rocky Ridge farm. Rose attends her wealthy town friend Blanche's birthday party but leaves early when she insults Blanche's snobbish cousin. Rose and her class-mates dislike their new mean teacher. When the boys play repeated tricks in class, the teacher quits in anger, and the former teacher returns. When a cyclone (tornado) comes through the farm, the Wilders lose one-third of their young apple trees; the apple orchard is their hope for future pro ...more
Bee
I think love the Rose books just as much as I love the Laura books and I think one reason why is that Roger Lea MacBride didn't try to recreate Laura's writing style like so many others tried to do, he used his own. The consistency and genuineness all the way through the whole series is really impressive and just really nice. You get hooked and then you can't stop reading and you can tell he just really cares about the story and the best kind of books are the books that were written with care.
G
Sarina
Each chapter is like a story. Stories of cider pressing, harvesting, butchering, and other farm related undertakings. Stories of a cruel, unjust teacher and the pranks played on him. Stories of new inventions: Wish Books, stereographs, and telegraphs. Stories of cyclones and babies. Each of these books is a book of collected stories.
Paul Lunger
The 4th book in the Rose series takes us through 1897 as the Wilders embark on year 4 on Rocky Ridge farm. This installment takes us from the wedding of Abe & Effie through Rose's year in Four Reader, a birth, a drought, a tornado, a death & a fire all after what appears to be the ending of all the luck for this family in the late 19th century. MacBride continues doing his excellent job of storytelling as we continue to follow this family & watch Rose grow up into the young woman she ...more
Emily
Jun 19, 2012 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Laura Ingalls Wilder fans
This book is more sad than any of the other Rose books. The Wilders are put to the test through many challenges. A cyclone nearly hits their house with Rose and Swiney in it, a drought hurts their crops, garden, and orchard, and a fire threatens to burn up the whole entire Rocky Ridge Farm. But the Wilders manage to make it through each of those struggles. Good things happen too. Effie gives birth to twins after marrying Abe. Rose gets to go to her first real party and she gets a whole new outfi ...more
A.k. Frailey
Well written, engaging, and enjoyable story continuing in the style of Laura Ingalls-Wilder with Laura as as a grown woman married to Almonzo raising their daughter Rose on Rocky Ridge Farm in Missouri. Wonderful stories - realistic but with the charm of the Little House series.
Lauri
The continuing story of Rose. In this book, we meet Mansfield's answer to Nellie Oleson.
The other John
(For some reason the Rainmakers' song "The Other Side of the World" has been running through my head ever since I picked up this book.) This is the fourth book of The Rocky Ridge Years series, chronicling the life of Rose Wilder in the 1890's. It's another book that's enjoyable to read, though not compelling. It's good waiting room material. Reading a straightforward biography of Rose Wilder Lane might be quicker than reading through this series, but I think this way is a lot more fun.
Emily Hunholz
I liked this book just as much as the others in the series, though the tone is definitely changing. Rose is growing up and can handle more, so there is a lot more sadness and grief than the previous books had. It breaks my heart that after all the bad luck the Wilders had in South Dakota, they move to Missouri to find that their fortune hasn’t improved much, although, admittedly, I have no idea if any of the events in this book were true or not.
Kacey Kendrick Wagner
This is a sad one.
A series of disasters hits Rocky Ridge Farm...a cyclone (you won't believe what they find in a tree afterwards!) and a raging fire. They were doing so well, so it's heartbreaking. But there are some fun stories, too--a mean teacher, a great teacher, a birthday party, and some new arrivals.

I don't own the next book in the series, so I'm going to have to hit up the library or buy it online so I can find out what happens!
Tiny Mendoza
I kinda regret reading this one cos it left me (again) wishing for more and it will be another long wait again cos it's almost impossible to find a copy here in the Philippines of the next book (or all the other books). But I just can't help it you know. I. JUST. CAN'T. Harhar.
I hope I'll find a copy of the rest of the series in Book Sale stores (or online) someday!
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 Gl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled. Though I have to admit, the "Rose Years" are my least favorite.
Yasmin
I loved the Book. it is so nice.
Kirsten
Rose is definitely growing up. Some great moments here, and some funny ones where she totally parallels her mother's experience (Nellie Oleson comes to mind).
Kim
I love these books. I may be an adult, but I love reading how it used to be to live at the turn of the 20th century. This was a fun, easy read.
Steph
Excellent story! Good for all ages! I feel so much more grateful for all I have after reading the things these people had to go through...
Madison
This is like the best series I've ever read I get so caught up in these books, I try to read them as much as i can. I read this book in only a week
Nikkole
This series was OK, i like books like these like little house on the prairie and stuff but this one was alright. Not my favorite.
Sadie
I'm running out of things to say for these reviews of this series. I continue to enjoy these books.
Clwaddoups
I loved reading the continuing lives of Laura Ingalls and her daughter Rose, with my daughter.
Kasey
This was the most exciting book in the series so far. I cannot wait to read the next one.
Paige
This book is about a girl who is living in a new house and is not having that much fun so far
Candice
loved the details, and the adventures of rose, great read.
Heidi
Rose has more friends and is doing more things.
Liz
4.5/5.0
My favorite book in the series.
Rachel
A book that makes one smile.
Anna
It was fine.
Cws
Feb 19, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-Wil
  • Across the Puddingstone Dam (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #4)
  • Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own
  • Young Pioneers
  • One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss (Dear America)
MacBride called himself "the adopted grandson" of writer and political theorist Rose Wilder Lane, the daughter of writer Laura Ingalls Wilder, and as such laid claim to the substantial Ingalls-Wilder's literary estate, including the "Little House on the Prairie" franchise. He is the author of record of three additional "Little House" books, and began the "Rocky Ridge Years" series, describing the ...more
More about Roger Lea MacBride...

Little House: The Rose Years (8 books)
  • Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1)
  • Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2)
  • In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #3)
  • Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5)
  • New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)
  • On the Banks of the Bayou (Little House: The Rose Years, #7)
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
Little House on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #1) Little Town in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rose Years, #5) Little Farm in the Ozarks (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #2) In the Land of the Big Red Apple (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #3) New Dawn on Rocky Ridge (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #6)