Start by marking “Claudia Y Las Llamadas Fantasma (Club de las canguro, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Claudia Y Las Llamadas...

Ann M. Martin

Claudia Y Las Llamadas Fantasma (The Baby-Sitters Club #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  4,329 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Claudia decides to investigate when she and the other members of the Baby-sitters Club receive mysterious phone calls while out on assignments.
164 pages
Published (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Claudia Y Las Llamadas Fantasma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia Y Las Llamadas Fantasma

Rhiannon
"Well, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I'm not up to trigonomulus, or whatever it is she does. We can't all be scholars." - Claudia, expressing frustration with both math and her sister, who is an Android being, probably from the future, and possibly "related" to Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation

Was Claudia described as having almond-shaped eyes:
Thankfully, she did not describe her own eyes this way.

Was Mimi's accent described as rolling:
Yes! Like a "ship at sea."

How many times was the word inc
Ciara
another classic of my childhood. i remember this one came out around halloween--veyer thematic, as the entire premise is that claudia has a crush on the school poet, travor sandbourne, & hopes that he'll ask her to the halloween hop. in the meantime, a local robber called the phantom caller has been calling the homes of rich people & then breaking in & stealing jewelry when no one answers. the babysitters are concerned that someone may rob the houses where they are babysitting, or th ...more
Laura Hughes
The baby-sitters choose to fear a jewel thief.

The babysitters are spooked by a news story about a jewel thief who calls homes and then hangs up without saying anything to make sure no one is there before he comes to rob them, especially after Claudia and Kristy receive “phantom phone calls” at their babysitting jobs. Various creepy sitting jobs follow, most of which are made more creepy by the girls’ expectations of disaster. Kristy is creeped out by the Brewers’ next-door neighboor, whom Karen
Kellee
Reread for #BSC #bookaday 6/13/2011

All of the girls in the baby-sitters club are readers! Within this book, there are shout-outs to Nancy Drew, Ramona Quimby and The Secret Garden! And in the first book it mentioned Peter Rabbit and Where the Wild Things are. Stuff like this makes me so happy.

I also liked how the book deals with a struggling student. Claudia has a high IQ, but struggles in school. Another way that Ann M. Martin makes sure that every reader will see a reflection of themselves in
Alisse
I thought this book was one of the best books yet. My favorite part was when ever Claudia and Kristy gats these phone calls that when ever they pick it up nobody is on the other end of the line. And it turns out that the people who called Claudia and Kristy turned out to be their lovers who wanted to dance.
Mirabelle
Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger! Just to let you know, this book is so amazing and it makes me wonder why Raina Telgemier didn't make a graphic novel out of this like she did with other BSC books
Odessa
It was a really good book, and it had mystery and creepy things. It's really hard to put it down because you don't know what will be next. Warning: If you get scared of robbers easily, DON'T READ!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sara
I LOVED Tha Babysitter's Club series as a kid. Claudia was my favorite and I owned this book at one time. I truly hope they are still being read by young readers today!
Ainsley
If you ever get a call from me asking about a blue ribbon, you'll know what to do. If you've read this book, that is.
Janet
i think sley put it best: this book has staying power. Have you seen my blue hair ribbon?
Tracy Poff
Claudia, Stacey, Kristy, and Mary Anne formed the Baby-sitters Club a few weeks ago, and since then, things have been going well: they've had plenty of business, and no big trouble with the kids they're baby-sitting. Lately, though, there's been news of a thief, dubbed the Phantom Caller, who calls people, hangs up, and then later steals their jewelry. And he seems to be moving closer to Stoneybrook, where the girls live.

On top of all this, the boy Claudia likes, Trevor Sandbourne, doesn't seem
Swankivy
This is the first book about Claudia, our Japanese-American fashion diva. Lots of people who discuss these books kinda fun-lovingly make fun of the outfits she wears--which, even in the 80s and 90s, sounded kinda ridiculous, but at least they were individualistic in a way that was NOT an Establishment Way Of Being Unique. But for some reason, the thing that always stuck in my head was that Claudia hid junk food all over her room! ALL OVER HER ROOM! I did that a few times after being inspired by ...more
Robin
Okay, despite the fact that Kristy shouted, "One false move and I'll punch your lights out!" at a room full of children in this book, and despite the fact that she agreed to go to the dance with the stalker in the bushes in front of the house where she was babysitting (yuck), I really enjoyed this reread. It's another solid effort from the patron saint of babysitters, Ann M. Martin. The later books don't contain gems of character descriptors like, "an old, whiskery face with snappish little eyes ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
All in all, this was a fun book to revisit. I read it on a sunny day at lunchtime with the sun streaming in through the window, but the creepy noises the girls heard and phone calls they received immersed me fully in the dark and stormy atmosphere of the book's late-season thunderstorms and the ongoing suspense surrounding the Phantom Caller. This would still be a great mystery to recommend to younger tweens today, and as with the first book, I was impressed by the quality of the writing as comp ...more
Dawn
Oh, the BSC. After getting back into the Baby-sitter's Club books with the new prequel, The Summer Before, and the first BSC book, Kristy's Great Idea, I thought, what the heck, I'll keep on going! So I read the second BSC installment, Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls. I still maintain that these are great books, especially for pre-teens. But they even hold up pretty well after you've gotten older and more cynical. My heart actually quickened a little when the phone rang and no one was there, ...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
R.
I read these books when I was much younger and for some reason wanted to revisit the series (specifically the mysteries). There were a lot of things in here that I appreciated that I probably would not have paid much attention the first time I read these. Although things are resolved in unrealistically simple and happy ways, I think it's good that Claudia has to work hard to do okay in school, get along with her sister, and feel comfortable in social situations. She has little squabbles with her ...more
Julie Decker
In this book we're introduced to our fashion expert, Claudia. Her outfits and antics were fun to read about--she was the artistic one, and it was refreshing to not have the Asian girl be the smart one. (Disappointingly, her older sister was a typical math nerd genius, though, which was handled mostly by making her speak unrealistically with shoehorned-in four-syllable words.) Claudia is also the one who has candy everywhere. She hides it. It's played as quirky, and I think the candy-hiding and r ...more
Natalí
Continuing my re-read of the BSC books in Kindle edition, it was fun to enter Claudia's mind, as most of the books I read back then where Maty Anne's and Kristy's. I specially liked he way Claudia, even as she is VERY different than her two friends for always, tries to find common ground with them so they don't drift apart. Though, the whole "truth" about THEIR Phantom Caller was a bit of a let down. I'm already in book 3 ;)
Amancay
even Alicia remembers this mystery...

---
Número dos, señoritas y señores... this is so much fun! I just plowed through this one (in a wider spread set of stints then the first book)as well and was quickly drawn into the mystery and the "drama".
For a young group of gals these girls are head smart with a lot of bright ideas for combating their own insecurities whilst maintaining a peaceful atmosphere for their charges!
Jessica (j*&p*)
The BSC books were the first book series that I remember reading (and rereading and rereading)on my own so I think they had had a lot to do with forming my ideas about storytelling and fueling my love of reading. So much fun and nostalgia in picking up childhood favorites again.
Rachel Brand
This is still one of my favourite Babysitters Club books. A lot of people hated the mysteries but I always found them more interesting than the books purely about babysitting. Plus, the original books (written by Ann herself) were much better than the ghostwritten ones.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I know what you're thinking, the Babysitter;s Club? Really?
But yes really, I loved this series when I was growing up, in fact this is the series that started it all for me. This is the series that made me love to read so for that alone, it rates high in my book. :)
Amanda Caldwell
One hour left in Thursday and I'm finally getting my Throwback Thursday review posted! Talk about last minute.

Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls is the second book in The Baby-Sitters Club series. I just love this series. Even re-reading the books as an adult for these Throwback Thursday reviews, I still love them. They're still just as good as they were when I was in elementary school.

In this book there's a phantom caller who is robbing people of their pricey jewels. His modus operandi is he
Kimberly
I loved the BSC series when I was younger and even more glad that I held on to them all these years so my children would be able to enjoy them as well. I would recommend for tween girls.
Ellen
Katie's reading list
I like this book so far because it's really scary and I want to know what's going to happen next! I think it's like a Nancy Drew book. I love mystery books!
Kirsten
i liked how the phantom callers were the boys that they liked and that they finally had the guts to talk to them when they answered the phone
Ruby Rose Scarlett
Well-rounded story with a mystery twist. The end is conveniently wrapped but it's still super fun and I love the girls' club and friendship.
Crystal
Claudia wishes she could be in her room reading a mystery and eating candy, or dreaming about Trevor Sandbourne, or painting. But no, she had to do her Math homework because her parents are facists.

At least Mimi is the one helping her and not Janine the NERD.

Mom has no accent (neither does my father, who also came to the United States as a small child) but Mimi has this pleasant, rolling accent that reminds me of a ship at sea. And she is polite, polite, polite never speaking a harsh word.

Cultur
Leah
The library ones have newer covers, circa 2010, which is okay, because they're still around (apparently only like 5 though) but bad because they're weird covers and the print is ginormous like they got snuck in while the printers were making the nursing home shipment.

Anyway, I got the 4 and started as near as the beginning as I could. Things are a lot different here - perhaps addressed later but it's been so long I don't remember. Parents can call outside club hours?! I think this is an area of
  • Teacher's Pet (Sweet Valley Twins #2)

More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)